- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The team decides to spend the night, with their families at NCIS, but when the lights go out they find themselves in more trouble than they bargained for...
"Break-In"

NCIS HQ...

Elevator...

Gibbs stepped onto the elevator, and hit the button to take him down to Autopsy as the doors closed behind him.

A minute or so passed as the elevator descended downward, and then suddenly stopped short of its destination.

Gibbs blew out an exasperated sigh, as he eyed the gauge above the door that displayed which floor he was on.

"What Idiot-" he thought to himself, as the elevator door slid open.

His thoughts suddenly froze.

When the elevator door opened Gibbs found Abby staring in at him.

Abby contemplated the possibility of just taking the stairs instead, briefly, but shook it off--the elevator was much faster than the stairs.

She stepped on, avoiding eye contact with Gibbs, as the elevator doors closed behind her.

They rode in silence for a bit.

Abby could feel Gibbs' eyes on her, and it was making her slightly uncomfortable.

She heard Gibbs heave a great sigh from behind her.

Gibbs reached out and slapped, rather hard, the stop switch--bringing the elevator to a halt and turning out the lights.

"You hurt me Gibbs." Abby said, as she turned to face her husband.

Gibbs was silent--he just stood in place, leaning against the wall, with his arms folded across his chest.

"Why didn't you talk to me first?" she asked, quietly.

Gibbs looked down at the floor.

"Because I know you too well." he replied, plainly.

Tears began to form in her eyes.

"Sometimes you make me feel like my opinion doesn't matter." she said, with a sniffle.

"I don't want a bodyguard, or protective detail, or anything else," she said, wiping a tears from her eyes with the back of her hand.

Gibbs ran one hand through his silvery hair.

"My place is with you." she added. "I don't feel safe anywhere else."

She tried to continue, but she suddenly just broke down and feel to her knees right there in the elevator.

Gibbs dropped down to his knees, slowly, and pulled his wife into his embrace.

"I almost lost you once, Jethro, I can't go through that again." she said, sniffling.

Gibbs let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry, Abs." he said, softly, kissing her on top of the head.

He hugged his wife tight.

"I didn't mean to upset you--the last thing I ever want to do is hurt you." he said.

"You and the girls are my whole world," he said, softly. "And if something were to happen to you guys--I would never forgive myself."

"I know." she said, her head resting against her husband's shoulder.

"You were just doing what you thought was best--thats why your children feel so safe around you." she said.

There was a moment or two of silence before either one of them spoke again.

"So I guess this means we're spending the night here." Gibbs said.

Abby looked up, and saw a grin on her husband's face.

She kissed him, passionately, on the lips.

"I guess so." she whispered, against his lips.

---------------------------------------

NCIS HQ...

Autopsy...

A Few Minutes Later...

Gibbs and Abby walked into Autopsy.

"I see you two have finally made up." Ducky said, as he walked towards them.

"Yep." Abby replied.

Ducky chuckled.

"Good. Now what can I do for you two?" Ducky asked.

"Its time to eat." Gibbs said.

"Yeah, Tony and Ziva ordered out for everyone." Abby explained.

"Oh well that is a good thing indeed." the old man replied.

"I think we could all use a bit of nurishment." he added.

---------------------------------------

NCIS HQ...

Squad Room...

Tony and Ziva stood in front of the elevator waiting for it to get to them. They'd only been waiting for a couple of minutes.

The couple were whispering to each other when the elevator pinged, and then the door opened.

"You two look like you have a dirty little secret," Abby joked, as she stepped off of the elevator.

Tony and Ziva exchanged glances.

Gibbs and Ducky stepped off after Abby.

"We were just going down to meet the delivery guy," Tony informed them.

"Good." Gibbs said, plainly. "I'm starved."

Tony chuckled to himself as he and Ziva stepped onto the elevator.

The elevator door started to close.

Gibbs quickly spun back around on his heel, and caught the door with his hand--preventing it from closing.

"Need something boss?" Tony asked.

"Yeah DiNozzo, I do." Gibbs replied. "I need you to requisition pillows and blankets for my family while you're down there." Gibbs instructed.

Tony grinned. "I'll get right on that as soon as possible." he said.

---------------------------------------

NCIS HQ...

Abby's Lab...

Night Time...

Gibbs, Abby, Chloe, and Paige all gathered downstairs in the lab where pillows and blankets were waiting for them.

They shuffled everything around in the back office space to make room for them to sleep.

Gibbs leaned up against the wall, a pillow nestled behind his back, with Abby leaning against his left side and Chloe leaning against his right side. Paige was leaning against her mother.

Gibbs and Abby had also pulled the two big blankets that they had up around to cover all four of them at once.

"Time for bed." Gibbs said with a yawn.

"You won't let anyone hurt us, will you daddy?" Paige asked, as she rested her head against Abby's stomach.

"Not on your life kiddo." Gibbs replied with a soft smile.

After a few minutes the four of them finally settled down and fell fast asleep.

---------------------------------------

NCIS HQ---

Squad Room---

Night---

Tony, Ziva, and Talia sat nestled together behind Tony's desk in the squad room with pillows and blankets.

.........This Chapter Is Not Yet Finished.........