- Text Size +
Abby hesitates before calling Tony, half expecting him to turn up uncalled for despite his assurance he wouldn’t. “Got something here for you.”
“I’ll be right down Abbs.”
Feeling more impatient than usual she pulls up the data on the metro card on another screen and examines the last few uses. Nothing jumps out at her and she sits back a bit in frustration. Right back into Tony, making her jump a bit comically. “Don’t do that! It’s bad enough Pop sneaks up on me.”
“I didn’t sneak! You just couldn’t hear me because you’ve got the stereo cranked up to ‘rattle the windows’ turn it down sweetheart.”
When she does Tony rewards her with a chocolate bar and a kiss on the cheek, “What’d you find?”
“The bullets at the gym came from two different guns. The four that actually shattered the glass were from a Glock 17. All five of the other bullets, including the two that hit Pop, were fired from a Colt Mustang. The Colt slugs brought up a case-to-case match on a murder in Norfolk, VA. The ten year old son of a timber company executive. It was a kidnapping gone wrong.”
“Fun. I think this requires a call to the Bossman. He and Fornell have some weird bond and we’re going to need that case file.”
“The weird bond’s name is Diane.”
“What?” Tony asks momentarily sidetracked. “Why would that be a bonding experience?”
“Because when it was all said and done between Fornell and Diane he knew there was one person who would understand completely. Pop liked him from the beginning I think. It would explain why he tried to warn him about Diane. And it didn’t hurt that they both think the slightly antagonistic working relationship they share is funny. Or that Fornell marrying her let Gibbs off the alimony hook.”
Tony considers it, “Actually that added to the whole enjoying being bastards thing makes a lot of sense. It’s not sharing a favorite football team and a morning commute, but considering who we’re talking about that is the most reasonable explanation in the world for their friendship.”
“So you’re going to have Pop ask for the file? Why not just have McGee hack into it?”
“Because McGee is going to be searching the witness protection assignments at the FBI to see if Simpkins was supposed to be in their care.” He drops his voice, “Besides, do you have any idea how many times in the last four hours I’ve wanted to call Jethro to check up on him? I keep telling myself he‘s asleep and I need to leave him alone but at the same time I feel like he‘s doing something completely foolish like trying to work on the boat even though he‘s doped up.”
“Never. He wouldn’t risk damaging the boat. Has he talked to you about what he wants to do if he ever manages to finish one of them?”
“Not yet.”
“Ask him. He gets all wistful and his eyes do that crinkling up thing. You can almost see him picturing it.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gibbs manages to hide his relief when his cell phone begins ringing, “I need to answer that Jen.” He heads upstairs without awaiting her response. “Gibbs.”
“We got a case to case hit on some of the bullets from the drive by Boss. Kidnapping gone wrong. Think you could get us the file?”
“I’ve already got it. Simpkins and Fry witnessed the ransom drop. Simpkins recognized the kidnapper. He was due to give his deposition and go into protective custody Sunday evening.”
“Abbs is right, how the hell do you do that? She only got the hit five minutes ago.”
“But Fornell heard we were looking into the death about six hours ago.”
Tony’s a little surprised to have gotten the answer, “Are you feeling all right Jethro?”
“Might have taken my next dose of pain killers a little sooner than was strictly necessary. Jenny Sheppard dropped by with dinner.”
“If she thinks she’s going to drop in and play Florence Nightingale she’s got another thing coming,” Tony growls.
“So call the house and we’ll put on a little show Honeybuns.”
“I’m coming to pick up that file, and maybe steal a little dinner if that becomes a viable option. I’ll call for show from the car.”
Gibbs chuckles and returns to his guest in the living room.
“Is everything under control Jethro?”
“Just DiNozzo reporting in. I really am doing fine Jen, I’m just a little too drowsy to be in the field. If Abby wasn’t as much of a mother hen as her grandmother I’d probably be out there having DiNozzo chauffer me around. You don’t need to stay.”
“Nonsense Jethro. No one likes to eat alone and it gives us a chance to catch up, away from the office. I meant what I said about being friends.”
He sighs, “Fine Jen. What‘s new in your life?”
Before she can answer the landline begins ringing. He keeps his voice low, as if to maintain privacy “Gibbs.”
“Hey sweet cheeks, she still there?”
“Sorry Honey, I didn’t think she’d call you.”
“So you’d keep it from me that you were shot if I was just the boyfriend of the moment?”
“It’s only some scratches really. Most likely they won’t even scar.”
“That’s no excuse you know.”
“The farthest I’ve been from bed is the front door. I’m behaving I promise.”
“Is she really buying the repentant boyfriend shtick?”
“Yes Honey, I think so. You can change the bandages if you don’t trust me.”
“I told you last night you need a keeper.”
“That’s probably true, but I’m not the only one.”
“I may be a trouble magnet but at least I eat and sleep on a regular schedule without prodding.”
Gibbs chuckles, “I love you.”
“Love you too. Now throw her out.”
“I’m trying. See you tonight.”
“You hadn’t told her? Really Jethro, do you know anything at all about women?”
“It’s not as if it was a life threatening injury. We already had plans tonight, I would have explained it then.”
“So she’s an afterthought?”
“Not at all. A pair of scratches is an afterthought. We’ll talk about it, I just didn’t think it was a big deal. I still don’t.”
“You really have no idea Jethro.”
“I’m not worried Jen.”
“If you say so.”
“You never did answer me Jen, what’s new in your life?”
“There isn’t really anything to tell. I’ve been so focused on work I haven’t done much besides settle in.”
“The lobbyists and civil servants aren’t just lining up for your company? I thought that was part of the appeal of coming to DC.”
“No Jethro, being the first female director of an armed federal agency was the appeal of coming to DC.”
“I stand corrected.” He runs a hand through his hair and grimaces, “Not that I don’t appreciate dinner, or the company, but I need to get the rest of the glass out of my hair before my date. So if you’ll excuse me…”
“Of course. Feel free to call me if you need anything.”
“I’ll keep that in mind.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tony’s glad to find the driveway empty when he pulls up but doesn’t pull into the garage in case she’s watching. He finds Gibbs in the kitchen, settling a plate at Tony’s usual spot. The file is open in the middle of the table. He kisses Gibbs before taking his seat, “So what are you thinking Boss?”
“What I’m getting from the file is that the suspect is, a Gideon Lokey, he knows Simpkins and Fry. Maybe he even realized after the fact that they might have seen him in commission of the act. So when he heard that some one was coming forward he killed Simpkins and tried to kill Fry.”
“But why stab Simpkins and shoot randomly into a gym where Fry works out?”
“I don’t know Tony. Maybe that’s the question the lead agent on the case should be working on…”
“As soon as he’s had dinner with his injured partner.” Tony pauses, “Did you know McGee wrote a book about us?”
“My copy is on the top shelf of the bookcase behind my desk at work.” Gibbs grins, “You’ll either laugh your ass off or threaten to kill him depending on which bits you focus on.”
“Why didn’t you tell me about it?”
“Because I hate feeling like the only adult in a roomful of ten year olds. And as much as what he did isn’t right, it’s a good book.”
“So am I Agent Tommy?”
“No. But Agent Tommy is you, as McGee sees you. And he has a rather skewed view of you. He buys the eternal frat boy act hook line and sinker. Which surprises me after you tried to help him through that whole shooting incident.”
“McGee understands that I was a cop for years before you snatched me. And he realizes that means I know a thing or two about backing up those around me. He ascribes my trying to help him through that as an attempt to keep the team intact. To a degree he’s right. It was my years with various PDs that had me trying to shore him up, but because I’d seen first hand how having to shoot someone who turns out to be innocent can destroy a guy. I don’t want to see that happen to Tim. He’s good, a little sheltered but good. Once he grows a spine he‘ll go far.”
“He’s had a good teacher. Even if his teacher is slacking off just now.”
“I just got a huge break in the case, which if you didn’t think of it probably means I won’t get home until two or three AM, I needed to pick up the file here anyway. I decided to eat and reconnect while I’m here. And I should point out you’re the one that had a plate of food ready for me when I arrived.”
“If I could think straight when it came to you I wouldn’t have. After all you’ve got a scared kid in protective custody and Fornell waiting to poach any headway you make.”
“It’s not about credit, it’s about protecting the people who protect our country.”
“Don’t use my own rules against me Tony, especially the ones that are too obscure to have numbers.”
“I will get you to tell where the rules come from one day you know.”
“I’m sure you will Tony. But by then we’ll both be retired and living on a sail boat, going where the wind takes us. You won’t really care anymore.”
“I’ll always care. Besides you know how much I love a puzzle.”
“What are you going to do when you’re out of things to work out about me?”
“Start inventing new ones. Like ‘what would Jethro do if I painted the kitchen cabinets forest green?’”
“Pat you on the head, tell you ‘it looks pretty dear’, and ask Abbs if you might have been drugged at the scene.”
“See? Not the reaction I would have thought you’d have.”
“Finish your dinner and come give me a proper kiss goodbye,” The tone is soft, fond.
Tony obeys without even the thought of hesitation. “Want me to stay at my place tonight?”
“No, I don’t. You’re too much of a trouble magnet to go without checking in, and what better way to check in then across the pillows? Besides I’ll need a ride in tomorrow, it might as well be with you.”
“Such a sentimental fool. How does anyone resist your charms?”
“Would it make you feel better to know it’s also so that I can get a trademark DiNozzo good morning kiss? Which I find myself missing every time you spend the night at your own place?”
“Much better. And I love you too.”
“I do love you, now go prove to the director you can still do my job.”
“As if there was ever any doubt. About either.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Tony arrives in the bullpen Abby is sitting behind Gibbs’ desk with her caff-pow! and the candy bar he brought her earlier. “To what do we owe the pleasure Abbs?”
“Just wanted to see what you got before I go look in on Pop.”
“We have a suspect sweetheart. Go check on the bossman for us.”
“If you need me just call.”
“You know I will.” With a hand on Abby’s arm he turns his attention to the others, “Grab your gear, we’re headed to Norfolk.”
McGee eyes him warily and Ziva smirks at him but they both do as they’re told. He pulls “Deep Six” off the bookshelf and kisses Abby’s cheek, “I’ll be by the house when we’ve finished but it probably won’t be until midmorning.”
“I know he wants to be alone for awhile tomorrow night but if he isn’t behaving himself tonight I’m going to stay and make sure he doesn’t over do it.”
“As you well should. Do me a favor though?” She nods. “Once you get him settled get some rest yourself. You’ve been doing your energizer bunny routine since I dropped off your caff-pow! this morning.”
“Yes stepfather,” Abby grins as he claps a hand over her mouth and looks around. When he judges the coast is clear he drops his hand glaring at her. “What? Ziva knows.”
“But McGee, the director, and everyone else have no clue and most of those people can’t know Abbs.”
“I get it Tony. I just… I’m happy and I can’t seem to remember to keep it to myself. For the first time in a very long time everyone in my life is happy. Mom, Dad, Pop, my baby brother and his wife and kids. My Tony. Even Grandpa Jack seemed pleased Pop’s willing to talk to him again.”
“Good enough. I’ll see you later Princess.”
Tony slides into the driver’s seat and enjoys a brief moment of amusement at their continued lack of questioning before giving them the basic facts, “The man we’re looking to arrest is named Gideon Lokey. Three weeks ago he and two other as yet unidentified men kidnapped the ten year old son of a timber company executive living in Norfolk. Lokey’s wife is stationed out of Little Creek. Simpkins has lived half a block away from him nearly all his life. Then three weeks ago he witnessed Lokey receiving the ransom drop at the Y in Norfolk. I’m thinking Lokey got word someone was coming forward and realized that Simpkins and Fry might have been at that Y, as they often had in the past.”
“But why kill Simpkins outright and make such a sloppy attempt on Fry’s life?” McGee questions from the back seat.
“That, Probie, is one of the things we’re here to find out.” It’s a long drive and Tony knows he needs to lighten the atmosphere in the car a bit. He hands the book to Ziva, “Why don’t you read some of this aloud? I think we might all find it enlightening.”
“What is it?” Ziva asks even as she does as she’s told.
“Just a novel a friend recommended. Start with the description on the dust jacket, we all just want a taste anyway.”
“Deep six follows the adventures of the swashbuckling, socially repugnant Special Agent Tommy. His partner Lisa, the sultry and emotionally distant Mossad Officer. The resourceful and adaptable Special Agent McGregor. And their boss, L.J. Tibbs who drinks to alleviate the burden of his Messianic complex.”
Tony snorts, “Good thing this is just fiction Probie, because if you were talking about the bossman like that his little girl might kill you, resurrect you using voodoo and let her father kill you again…”
“It’s not about you guys!” McGee protests.
“Ziva, see if you can find a physical description of anyone in the first chapter.”
“He paused, as he often did, to take note of Officer Lisa. Her smoky, exotic beauty combined with the air of menace she always exuded made her intriguing. But most of all he noticed her eyes, Lisa’s eyes reminded him of emeralds flawed only by the icicles in her heart.”
“That’s not Ziva at all.”
Ziva leafs through a few more pages, “Tibbs squinted at the report in a vain attempt to compensate for his failing eyesight.”
Tony suppresses his chuckle at that one. No need for either of them to know that “failing eyesight” was relative. Gibbs was a sniper, his eyesight was one of his defining characteristics. Just because his eyes were no longer up to the task of a perfect shot from 500 yards did not mean there was any real deficiency in his vision. Instead he shoots McGee a feral grin, “I think LJ might just shoot you this time McAuthor. In fact this reminds me of a movie. It‘s called The Dark Half, a writer tries to kill off one of his characters so the character hunts him down and tries to kill him…”
“Ohh!” Ziva calls delightedly. “As a well placed kick from their suspect sent Agent Tommy reeling McGregor wondered if he ever actually played football at all. He was built wrong for it, too tall and wiry, and he simply couldn’t take a hit.”
“Okay Probie, now that one was personal. Yes I did play football. Ask Dr. Brad Pitt of Bethesda Naval Hospital, he broken my leg and ended my chances of going pro. And I know you wouldn’t understand this, seeing as you can’t manage hand to hand combat and all but it’s harder to take a hit without pads.”
“Tony, please do calm down. If nothing else you are the one that is driving.”
“Even if you won’t believe Tommy isn’t you didn’t Sarah say you’re cuter?”
Tony visibly brightens, “You’re right, she did.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I’m sorry I wasn’t home yet when you called Liz. We caught a case.”
“And the new boyfriend accepts that excuse? Really?”
“I don’t have to make excuses to Tony, Liz. When I catch a case so does he.”
“Tony? The cute one on your team? Why the hell didn’t you call me Jethro? It’s not like they don’t have phones in Stockholm.”
“Neither of us was ready to talk about it until recently. Since we had the ‘let’s tell our friends’ talk we’ve been busy as hell. I did plan to tell you. Tony wants to meet you in fact. Which is part of why I invited you to dinner Friday.”
“He’s the one with the nice ass that Abby keeps saying is perfect for you, right?
“That’s the one. And I’m pretty sure Abbs is right. He makes me laugh and that‘s something I haven‘t had in a long time.”
“Good Jethro. You need to figure out that it’s ok to be happy.”
“I’m happy Liz. Hell I let Abbs and Tony talk me into staying home for a graze today. Which left Tony in charge and then I distracted him for almost an hour.”
“Did they drug you?”
“A little. But that’s not it. I knew he wouldn’t be home until late, I was sending him out on a lead. There’s really no chance I’m going to actually see him tonight, despite the fact that he is coming home.”
“Home?” Liz asks amused.
“All three of us, and by that I mean Tony, Abby and myself, are having trouble with the whole concept of taking it slow. Tony and I have known each other a very long time, and we spent a lot of time at the beginning making sure this was going to work.”
“Always so prudent. You need a sweet young thing that knows how to have fun.”
“Got him.”
“Lucky bastard. Which reminds me, if you ever call me at eight AM again the next time I speak to you will be looking down into your coffin. You know that we’ve been teleconferencing with Tokyo, I always do for at least a week after I get back from Sweden. You also know that means I’m up all night and asleep all day.”
“I’m sorry ‘Lizbeth. I forgot that you’d just arrived in town. I had good news and you had good timing.”
“Good timing?”
“You remember that Jenny Sheppard is my boss now? We obviously can’t tell her we’re together and your little bit of teasing just happened to distract her.”
“I didn’t cause you any trouble with Tony did I?”
“No. He gave me a questioning look, but the minute I said your name he knew what was going on.”
“You want me to tease the wicked witch some more?”
“She’s not that bad. And don’t try to provoke her. She’s pushing me but she hasn’t become a problem yet and Ducky’s working on her.”
“If that’s what you want LJ, it’s your life. I’ve got to head out to work now Hon. I’ll see you Friday.”
“Is dinner Friday going to be a problem?”
“Not at all. They’re a day ahead and being a western company none of our offices work Saturday or Sunday.”
“Go on then. We’ll talk when you’re here.” He hangs up on Liz and yells, “Get up here Baby girl.”
“I was just getting you some juice Pop.”
“Bullshit Abbs. You were lurking, what’s up?”
“You worried me today Pop.”
“I promise it wasn’t something I could have prevented. I’m being careful.”
“You took that no back up undercover assignment.”
“No, I trusted Tony to back me up even if he couldn’t be right next to me where he belonged.” He sighs and pulls her close, “I’ve got everything in the world to live for I’m not going to mess that up taking stupid risks. Go grab one of your books and sit with me until you feel sleepy or Tony gets home. I may not be good company but I’m not going anywhere.”
“You better not,” Abby murmurs as she heads into the spare room to get one of her books. When she gets back he’s asleep sitting up and she can’t help but smile. She kisses his cheek and settles with her book, “’Night Pop.”