- Text Size +
Saturday morning they lose themselves in the tourist role, Tony acting as guide. It’s freeing being somewhere they’re not likely to be recognized, or even noticed. Tony’s also pleased that Gibbs lets him ramble about the history of the buildings, his own experiences and sites of television and movie filming without so much as an impatient look. They stop at a sleepy looking mom and pop Italian restaurant for a late lunch. Tony grins brightly at the young man who steps up to lead them to a table, “Still working for your folks Nicky?”
Nicky eyes him for a moment, “I’m sorry, do I know you?”
Tony blushes, “Sorry. I used to be a regular, guess I just forgot how long five years is to a teenager.”
Nicky still looks confused as an older man, graying at the temples steps into the foyer from the dinning room, “Is there a problem here Nicky?”
“No Papa, no problem-” He’s cut off.
“Anthony! Francesca will be so happy to see you. Was Nicky giving you trouble?”
Tony laughs, “No, he just didn’t remember me. It‘s good to see you again Mr. Scarpa.”
“I’ve told you a thousand times Anthony it’s Ray. And Nicky, for shame boy. How could you forget Anthony? He was almost your brother and not all that long ago either.”
“You’re exaggerating again Mr. Scarpa. One Christmas dinner does not an adoption make.”
“Francesca was ready to strangle your father over that Anthony. Nicky set number thirteen for them. We’ll have to visit Frannie first or I’ll never hear the end of it.”

A glance over his shoulder reminds Tony that introductions are in order. He takes Gibbs’ arm, “Jethro, this is Nicky and Ray Scarpa, some old friends of mine. Ray, Nicky, this is my boyfriend, Jethro Gibbs.”
Gibbs shakes hands and offers a genuine, “Pleased to meet you both,” as it’s clear these folks were a happy part of Tony’s life in Baltimore.
“Likewise,” Ray chuckles, “And Frannie really will want to meet you then. She’s very picky about who takes care of her boys.”
“It’s not like I’m wasting away you know,” Tony grumbles with the practiced annoyance of a stock response.
They push through the swinging door into the kitchen and an aggravated female voice calls out, “So help me Raymond if I have to call your mother-”
“I’ve brought someone back to say hello Frannie.”
“I’m coming, but don’t you dare touch that saucepot.” When she steps around the prep stations her face lights up, “Anthony DiNozzo, is that you? It’s been far too long sweetheart.”
“It’s me alright Mrs. Scarpa. It’s been about five years. As much as I love you it’s a bit of a commute from Washington.”
She envelopes him in a tight hug before stepping back and scrutinizing him carefully, “You look good, clearly you found someone new to take care of you. A girl maybe?”
Tony laughs, “Not as such. I got better at taking care of myself. Well until recently. Nowadays Jethro and I look after each other, which brings us to proper introductions. Mrs. Scarpa, I’d like you to meet Jethro Gibbs, my boyfriend.”
She gives Gibbs a long penetrating gaze, “Aren’t you the one that whisked our Anthony away?”
Though he manages to maintain a charming smile he cringes internally, “I am Ma’am. He wasn’t being properly appreciated in his work despite how well you were looking after him.”
“So you took it upon yourself to ride in like the white knight in a fairy tale and carry him off in search of glory?”
Gibbs laughs, “That isn’t how I’d put it, but I suppose it’s true all the same. We do from time to time manage to rescue a fair maiden or two.”
“Just know this Mr. Gibbs, Anthony is one of my boys whether he accepts it or not. That means if you hurt him I will hunt you down and hurt you.”
“You’d have to wait in line Ma’am. My daughter, and two of our co-workers, both of whom are quite frightening in their own right would be there before I could get my foot out of my mouth. And besides, I know better than to ruin what just might be the best thing that ever happened to me.”
Tony turns wide eyed at that.
Not one to blush or backtrack Gibbs just gives his hand a gentle squeeze, “Wouldn’t say it if I didn’t mean it.”
Tony’s grin is shy and delighted for a few seconds before he quips, “If I’m the best thing to happen to you so far Boss you’ve been leading a sheltered life.”
Gibbs doesn‘t allow that, “Just know a good thing when I’ve got it.”
Mrs. Scarpa pats Gibbs’ cheek, “That’s a good boy. Now shoo, I can’t cook for my Anthony if I’m clucking away like a chicken.”
At the end of the meal Tony is hugged enthusiastically and admonished to resume writing. Gibbs can’t help but smile. “For someone with a less than ideal family you sure have a lot of adoptive family members.”
“The consensus always seemed to be that I was a wounded puppy.”
Gibbs shakes his head, “I don’t think so. I think it’s that when you let people in they see how special you are and want to protect that.”
Feeling suddenly exposed Tony plasters a false leer on his face and questions, “I’m special?”
Gibbs offers a soft but distinct head smack in return, “I’m not blowing smoke up your ass here Tony. Don’t need to lie to get you into my bed and we both know it. From what I’ve seen your father is all about what value a person can be to him, what he can get from them. The fact that you had that as your primary example and still came out of it an empathetic and honorable man is amazing. That on top of it you went into police work when I’m sure you could have followed his example and used your natural charms to your advantage in business speaks to the kind of man you are. And that kind, before you can ask, is a rare one.”
“It’s unfair when you go all mushy like that. I’m supposed to be the smooth one.”
“It was my turn.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After his shower Tony lets Gibbs pull him back into the bed before he gets dressed, “So what are you going to do tonight? No boat to sand here.”
“Maybe it’s my nefarious plot to seduce you and keep you in this rented bed all night.”
“With an offer like that I’m not going anywhere.”
“But then your friends would storm the room and I’m not putting on a show,” He offers a long slow kiss as conciliation. “I’ve got a new book and I expect Abby to call on her usual pre-meeting mission to make me understand I don’t have to scare this Chester half to death.”
“Please resist the urge, just this once. At least until he‘s served his purpose as Abby‘s back up in that den of pretentious idiots.” Tony then presses his face into Gibbs’ neck, “Promise not to be too late or too drunk when I get back.”
Gentle fingers lift his face, “Do you not want to go all of a sudden?”
He sighs, “Luke has already firmly joined the ‘they’re so married’ club and I’m not sure I can deal with an entire night of less than tactful drunken questions about it. They’re great guys but they don’t exactly understand the world you and I live in. Everything for them is much more… black and white. They‘re going to assume the secrecy is one of us being ashamed of what we have.”
“First of all from what I’ve seen and heard so far these men are your friends. Anything they push you about will be in an attempt to make sure you’re okay. Just make sure they know you’re happy and the rest should work out fine. Secondly, no matter what the situation I have your back Tony, call for me and I’m there. And for the record, even if it meant losing our jobs I could never be ashamed of what we have.”
“I know that. And I hope you know I feel the same.”
“Now go, get dressed. Spend some time with your buddies, just don’t get too drunk.”
Tony makes a face, “Hard enough to face Dad when I’m not hung over. And I‘m hoping to make it worth your while if you wait up for me.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time Tony arrives with the cigars- both Cubans and the cheaper version rolled by Cuban immigrants in Florida- the others are already sitting around drinking beer. He’s greeted with a warm round of his name and one loud “Finally!” Obediently he makes his way over to Mark, “Not to be ungrateful for your presence Tony but I can’t drink so a good smoke is a must.”
“Then I’m glad to deliver. So you’re taking the plunge at last, huh?” Tony accepts a beer without looking up.
“It’s time. Though Luke tells us you beat me to it.”
“Damnit Luke, we’re not married.” He tries to sound annoyed but his laughter ruins it.
“A technicality. You’re as committed as anyone else in this room Sex Machine.”
“And we’re hurt this is the first we’ve heard of it!” Pete throws in from across the room.
“Isn’t this Mark’s party?”
“We decided it should be for both of you.” Tony glares at Luke. Luke smirks back. “Where are the pictures you told me about?”
“Thought you met him?” Mark asks as Tony pulls the photos out.
“I did meet his Jethro, but Abby, the stepdaughter I’ve only heard stories about.”
“Stepdaughter?” Pete chuckles, “Never imagined you with kids, Sex Machine.”
“She’s thirty, and we’ve been friends almost as long as I’ve known her father.”
BT goes wide-eyed at that, “How old is this guy?”
Tony laughs, “Younger than Yvette,” in reference to BT’s wife.
“Tony,” BT’s tone is meant to be a warning.
Tony rolls his eyes, “Jethro is forty-eight, so calm down.”
“Don’t give me the eye roll Tony. You have daddy issues.”
“No, I don’t particularly care for my father and I doubt he ever really gave a shit about me. That does not mean I’m going to head out and getting into some psychologically damaging relationship. It means I’ll chose my family over my father every time. Which reminds me, while I’m not a particularly parental figure to Abbs I will kick the ass of anyone who decides to make inappropriate comments about her.”
Pete leans over the back of the sofa and pinches Tony’s cheek, “Our little boys all grown up and protecting his baby, it’s sweet.”
“Here, this one is Abbs and Jethro just before they headed to the Marine Corps Birthday Ball.”
“No wonder you’re protective,” BT puts in.
Stevie laughs, “You always did like a military man.”
“It’s the haircut,” Tony deadpans. He can’t help but brace for the reaction as the photos make the rounds.
Luke’s grin becomes almost manic, “This one sums it right up!”
Paul takes a look and chuckles, “It’s adorable. Are you his widdle cuddle bunny?”
“Fuck off,” His tone is petulant and slamming his beer down on the table doesn’t help but that tone always puts him on edge.
The slightly defensive reaction must make something click for Paul, “He the one that made you take the cooking lessons?”
Tony sighs, “Yes.”
Stevie ruffles Tony’s hair, “I always knew you’d make someone a good wife one day.”
“I can see how you might make the connection, I’m sure your wife could kick your ass with one hand tied behind her back. Surely we have something better to do than to discuss my love life.”

Stevie gives one quick rap on the door to the adjoining room obviously signaling the stripper.
Tony almost groans at the overly clichéd cheerleader outfit, in Ohio State red and white no less. When her companion follows he does make a distressed little noise. “Um, you guys really, really shouldn’t have.”
Mark stage whispers, “I think Stevie’s secretly curious. Figured he could pin it on your bachelor party and still get to see a guy in a g-string.”
The ‘football player’ winks at him, “A little curiosity never hurt anybody.”
The cheerleader just giggles for a second, “Could we move the coffee table? We wouldn’t want the show to take place too far from the guests of honor, now would we?” Luke obliges silently as BT puts in a CD. She approaches Mark, “Mark right? I’m Trinity.”
The football player offers a pleased smile as he eyes Tony, “And I’m Chet, but I was called in a little late and didn’t catch your name.”
Resigned to his fate Tony shakes his head but smiles, “I’m Tony. But if Stevie wants your attention, please, feel free.”
“Suit yourself,” Chet’s clearly doubtful about the attempt to shift focus.
The routine is obviously a well practiced one, and more show than grinding and groping. Some of the guys make unhappy noises when Trinity stops at her panties but Chet goes for the full monty. But the drinks have been flowing and there are a number of hoots and wandering hands as well.
Trinity does a careful lap dance, being mindful of Mark’s cast. After one last confirmation from Tony Chet makes his own attempt at a private dance for Stevie leaving Tony with a fine view of his, admittedly very nice, ass. The cheer when Stevie pats said ass is rife with both amusement and titillation.
By the time they’ve been paid and slipped back into the other room only Tony and Mark are left sober. After a few beats of silence Mark finally weighs in, “Surprised you didn’t even want to look but I’m glad you finally found someone Tony. We were all beginning to worry.”
“Do I really seem so incapable of taking care of myself?”
“Keeping yourself fed, healthy and cleaned up after? No you do all that just fine. Making sure you’re not working too hard, taking too much emotional abuse, blaming yourself for other people’s stupidity? Not so much.” At Tony’s shocked expression Mark smiles sadly, “I know you imagine that we all buy that carefree-fun guy act you like to project and that we just couldn’t possibly understand the rigors, mental and emotional of dealing with death, violence and crime all day every day. But I at least have seen you when it had you in a bad spot Tony. I remember you railing against the world because a ten year old girl dying a violent death at the hands of someone meant to protect her was just too fucking much. I get it, even if I could never really understand it, having never been in anything nearing that situation. And I’m betting your Jethro doesn’t have that problem. Don’t be afraid of letting him help you through that shit Tony.”
“We’ve had that part worked out for a long time. He doesn‘t let me get lost in my head and I don‘t let him tear the world down trying to punish himself. Not that we don‘t both trip up from time to time, but we‘re getting better.”
“Like I said, I’m glad you found the right person this time. And from what I’ve seen I’m guessing Luke’s right, actually married or not you are committed, and nothing about that is a bad thing Tony.”
Tony sighs, looks around and decides no one aside from Mark will remember a word he’s about to say tomorrow. “I knew before he so much as kissed me that Jethro and I were meant to be together. Like for the rest of our lives together. But neither of us has a stellar track record. We’ve both been hurt before. And in his case it’s left him a little gun shy on the big milestones. I promised him from almost the first date that I could take this as slow as he needed me to. And I meant it. Do I want to just say fuck it all, pack up all my shit and move in with him? Truth be told I do. Am I willing to do it before he’s a hundred percent sure it’s what he wants? No way in hell.”
“There’s the sweet side you tired so hard to hide.” He takes stock of the room, “You think it says something about us that it’s barely eleven o’clock and they’re all pretty much passed out?”
“That our friends are a bunch of lame assed married men that can’t handle their booze and hoot at strippers at the same time?”
“And here I thought it meant we were getting old.”
“Speak for yourself. I plan to spend another a few hours testing out the hotel mattress after I abandon ship. Which reminds me, you going to be okay playing shepherd to this flock of lightweights on your own?”
“Their keys are all in my room next door. I’ll leave em a bottle of aspirin with a case of bottled water and lock both doors. They’ll be fine.”
“Mind if I duck out then?”
“Go on. And tell your man we’ll kick his ass if he hurts you. Marine or not we’ve got him out numbered.”
“Not you too,” Tony sighs. “Goodnight Mark, and congratulations.”
“Thanks man, but I expect you at the wedding.”
“Wouldn’t miss it.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“That was quick.” Gibbs greets setting his book aside.
“I’ve been gone for four hours.”
“They can’t have all already passed out.”
“I think the presence of a male stripped got the beer flowing a little more freely than expected.” An inquisitive look prompts him to continue, “They’d decided it was my bachelor party too and they should provide equal opportunities for ogling. Or that it was a once in a lifetime chance to walk on the wild side under the guise of friendly teasing, but I’m not judging.”
Gibbs chuckles, “Was he at least pretty?”
“He had a nice ass. Other than that I let Stevie have his fun so I didn’t really see much of anything.”
“Didn’t you say something about making it worth my while if I waited up?”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“It’s not even nine and we’re on vacation!” Tony bitches when Gibbs slips out of bed.
Gibbs just continues on to his destination and brings the envelope that’s been pushed under the door to the bed.
“What is it?”
Gibbs flips it over, someone’s scrawled “Jethro” on it. With a shrug he opens it and reads the note aloud, “After Tony showed us his Jethro it got me thinking about some things and I thought maybe we should show you our Tony, as we’re expecting you to take care of him.” He shakes the envelope and smiles at the first picture. It’s clearly a very young Tony, in his football uniform grinning like he just saved the world in the middle of a crowd of other boys which includes Luke. The second picture is a shyly grinning Tony in his letter jacket with his arm around the waist of a boy who couldn’t be more obviously RTOC if he was wearing his uniform. The next is presumably Tony, though the cheap Nixon mask makes it hard to tell. Whoever it is has been caught mid-stride in the middle of a college quad wearing nothing but a jock strap. Two pretty girls watching as Tony draws something in a notebook. A pillow being squeezed within an inch of bursting in his sleeping grip. And finally Tony in a flawless tux standing at Luke’s side as his best man.
Gibbs flips through them a second time and lingers on the second photograph.
“Is the interest in the boy or the letter jacket?”
“Mostly the jacket. You ever let anyone else wear it?”
“Didn’t mean the same thing but the time I was in college Jethro,” Tony chuckles. “But there was a time or two where I might have.”
“Still have it?” Gibbs puts on his best indifferent façade even as the question itself contradicts it.
“Both of them.” After a moments thought he adds, “Well sort of.”
“Sort of?” This time the curiosity is clear.
“The one from High school isn’t actually mine, but I didn’t realize that until I was packing for college…” Gibbs just raises an eyebrow. “Had a… friend on the team senior year. I don’t know if it was on purpose or not but our jackets got switched. Might be time for me to get rid of it…”
Gibbs suppresses a chuckle at the look Tony’s giving him. “A memento of a first boyfriend isn’t going to threaten me anymore than the pictures of Shannon and Kelly threaten you.”
“He wasn’t a boyfriend. Not really.” It’s a weak protest at best.
“He gave you his letter jacket.”
Tony huffs, “Do you want mine or not? That is what you were getting at.”
Gibbs chuckles, “Could have Dad bring my Stillwater High one down for you, that way we could swap.”
“I’d rather steal a couple of your ratty NIS shirts. They’re soft as silk.”
“You can have ‘em, but I doubt I’ll be taking your jacket. Appreciate the sentiment though.”
“Told you at the start, months, years, maybe forever. If that’s not going steady I don’t know what is.”
“Thought we were married.”
“Won’t marry you until you learn to respect my need for sleep.”
“Didn’t mean to wake you,” Gibbs murmurs softly. “Never sleep very deeply in a strange place and someone pushed something under our door Tony. It’s not in me to ignore that. You could try sleeping on a pillow.”
“Prefer to sleep on you.”
“I do get out of bed at night from time to time, it never bothers you at home.”
“You’re not the only one who can’t really sleep in a strange place.”
“Somehow I doubt that. Remember the iguana in Cuba?”
“Was dreaming of something entirely more pleasant climbing into bed with me.”
“That why you were sleeping naked?”
“Made the whole thing memorable did it?” His tone is smug. “I sleep naked when it’s warm. Or when I have someone to keep me warm. I only ever put boxers on at your place in case Abbs drops in on us. Was dreaming of you though if that’s what you were getting at. We’d been playing ‘flirt in front of the profiler’ for awhile and even though Kate missed it I caught every look, touch and double entendre.”
“For a student of human nature she did miss the mark entirely on you,” Gibbs agrees quietly.
“I still miss her too.”
“It was just such a senseless thing.”
“Okay, enough of that. If I have to be up this early on vacation let’s get moving. If we make good time we might be able to enjoy the whirlpool tub in our suite before we have to meet Abby.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abby arrives just after one o’clock and Tony, refreshed and satisfied, suggests they get lunch.
Despite Abby’s repeated assurances Chester is clearly terrified of Gibbs. As Gibbs has been on his best behavior Tony finds it positively hilarious.
“Abby tells us you’re a forensic anthropologist for the FBI,” Tony attempts to bring him around. “That keep you busy?”
“We do a lot of consulting for local agencies.” He smiles shyly at Tony’s continued focus. “There really isn’t all that much use for a forensic anthropologist in most communities so they send us stuff from all over. Some of the most interesting stuff doesn’t turn out to be criminal but it’s really fascinating.”
“Such as?” Abby coaxes him further out of his shell.
“Last June we got a pair of bodies in from Tinsdale, Tennessee. They were starting to build a new housing development on converted farmland and unearthed the bodies digging out a foundation. They were both women- one was about sixteen and the other in her early thirties. They were in surprisingly good condition when you take into account that they’d been dead about a hundred and twenty years. It took us almost two weeks to pin down the cause of their deaths, both had died of smoke inhalation. Shortly after they uncovered the remains of the burned farmhouse, four other bodies were located. After some digging we were able to locate some anecdotal evidence of the deaths in a local doctor’s journals. If the account was indeed in reference to those specific bodies the older women was the girl’s mother and entered the building intent on saving her. It may not be as exciting as chasing down terrorists and murderers but we do speak for the dead, in our way.”
“Without techs and forensics all the chasing in the world would get us no where,” Gibbs offers matter-of-factly.
Chester visibly relaxes, though he does seem at a loss for a moment or so longer, “Do you both do much charity work?”
Tony blushes a little, “I don’t really do any charity work. I write a lot of checks, but the way I was brought up mixed with our hectic schedule makes me sort of hands off.”
Gibbs offers Tony a fond smile in return for his embarrassment, “I volunteer a little, but as Tony said we’re usually rather busy. I do some of the plumbing for Abby’s Habitat for humanity builds and toy collection for Toys for Tots.”

“Maybe next year you could give me some wood working lessons and we could make some toys for the drive,” Tony offers shyly.
“I’d like that, and if you turn out to be all thumbs I can always put you on painting duty. I know you’re good at that.”
Tony scowls for a second before the tone registers, “Love you too, you unfunny bastard.”
Abby makes her ‘aren’t they adorable?’ noise.
It brings Tony’s focus back to Abby and Chester, “I grew up here in Manhattan and tonight’s fundraiser is something of a family tradition. It was a favorite charity of maternal grandmother. She was a wonderful woman who, despite having grown up well off, never felt entitled or above others. She understood the value of hard work and the need to take care of those less fortunate. I think I became a cop to make her proud.”
“The specific charity is a women’s shelter, isn’t it?” Chester is obviously very interested.
“Yes. It’s a first step to independence from an abusive husband or father and a stepping stone for young girls to get off the streets. It’s a very worthy cause.”
“And I’m glad to be able to help. Which brings us to what I really wanted to discuss-”
Tony stops him, “I‘ve already paid for the tickets and it‘s my contribution. If you want to donate they accept pledges and checks at the fundraiser and there‘s also a silent auction. And that way the charity gets twice the money.”
“Fair enough.”
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry this is late. I was having trouble with a stopping place and the voices of the original characters. Still a little worried about how it turned out but I have to post it eventually if we're going to move on.