- Text Size +
After their shared shower Tony is a little disappointed that the dual sinks mean they aren’t in each others’ personal space as they shave. It does allow him to finish first and slip into the bedroom to lay out both suits unobserved. Gibbs moves as silently as ever but Tony feels the shift in the air just before a hand settles on the small of his back, “This why you insisted on doing the packing?”
“It’s one of the reasons, yeah. You like it?”
“Frankly I’m just glad it’s not some ridiculous designer tuxedo.”
Tony chuckles, “I wouldn’t do that to you unless my cousin Jacqueline gets married. Or course the chances of that happening are somewhat akin to the chances of locating a specific grain of salt in the ocean, but we can pretend we don’t know that.” He smiles a little self-consciously, “So you’ll wear it?”
“You know I will. Where’s the tie?”
“No tie. We’re aiming for rugged and dashing not buttoned-down and elegant.”
“Want me to play the world traveling man of action?”
“Want you to be yourself. You know, Jethro, who keeps getting mistaken for my husband?”
“I think we’ve met. You do know that means I’m going to do my best to make your father’s head spin if he gets out of line, right? Maybe start talking about how it’s not right that we’d have to leave the country to get married or that I had to leave the corps because of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.”
Tony’s smile is the brightest he’s ever given, “I love you.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After some careful deliberation Tony decides that a simple, in stride joint entrance is what’s called for. Anything else would either be blatant to the point of combativeness or too subtle. After quickly communicating this to Gibbs he turns his attention to briefing Chester on the responsibilities and behaviors of an escort.
When he gets to the instruction that Chester may not ask another woman to dance until Abby accepts an invitation from another man Abby giggles, “What am I a debutante?”
“Some of the young ladies present will be and so the boys are taught to treat them all as such just in case. And while I am all for you being exactly who you are princess tonight will be more amusing if none of us stand out too much.”
Imagining the worst Tony gives Gibbs one last confirming glance and steps through the most important door of his life.
Reality of course is never as dramatic as what we build up in our minds, so there is no sudden hush, no staring, no wave of obvious whispering. There are, of course, a few curious glances and even one bright smile directed at Tony. Once even that mild show of interest has abated he pauses with an absent hand on Gibbs’ wrist and turns to Abby, “You want a formal introduction or to mingle your way over later?”
“I’ll be more inclined to behave if we all go together.”
“Fair enough. Let’s start with Dad, he’s mostly likely to push all our buttons.”
For a few fleeting seconds Gibbs’ hand rests on the small of Tony’s back. An innocent but innately possessive touch, it’s exactly what Tony needs.
Dominic spots their approach and politely reengages his wife’s attention from the young woman congratulating her on her newly announced pregnancy.
Tony offers his stepmother a smile and a kiss on the cheek, “Dad, Jessica I’d like you both to meet Jethro Gibbs, my partner. Abby Scuito, his daughter. And Chester Jones, Abby’s escort for the evening.
“And this of course is Dominic DiNozzo, my father, and Jessica DiNozzo, his wife.”
Gibbs offers a cool “Dominic” but gives Jessica an actual smile, “Nice to meet you, Ma’am.”
Jessica returns the smile, “It’s very nice to meet you Jethro, and I do hope we’ll have sometime to get acquainted. Neither of the boys has told me a thing about you yet.”
“I’m not surprised. Dominic and I haven’t exactly met in the strictest sense and our lives have been a little hectic since we’ve gotten together.”
“All the more reason for us to get acquainted.”
“If you really mean that we could have dinner tomorrow night, that is if Abby doesn’t mind giving us up. This is her vacation after all,” Tony volunteers.
“We’ll go do something tourist-y,” Abby assures him.
“What do you say Dominic?”
It’s clear what he wants to say and the response his wife expects him to give her differ greatly but he attempts a charming smile, “Come to the house, we’ll have Emilie make Anthony’s favorite.”
Tony does an admirable job of suppressing his immediate reaction to this offer. As it happens only Gibbs sees the moment of pleasure in Tony’s expression. “We’ll be there. But for now we should make the rounds. Wouldn’t want anyone to feel neglected.”
“I know Lucas Dashal wanted a word and Father Vincenzo mentioned wishing to speak to you,” Dominic confirms.
Tony’s smile is the charming one he uses when he needs to smooth over Gibbs’ abrasiveness. “I’ll make sure to speak to both of them, and I expect a dance with my stepmother later as well.”
Jessica’s smile on the other hand is genuine, “Absolutely Anthony, if you’ll let me dance with Jethro afterwards.”
“That is entirely up to Jethro.”
Gibbs chuckles, “I’d like that Ma’am.” He shares a brief look with Tony, they’d agreed ahead of time that they would dance as little as possible but both knew it couldn’t be avoided entirely. If nothing else Abby would demand a turn around the floor from each of them.
“It’s nice to meet you Abby, and you as well Chester,” Jessica shakes each hand in turn.
“Nice meeting you Ma’am,” Chester offers.
“I’m sure we’ll meet again,” Abby‘s smile is at best forced.
As they move on Tony offers her a curious gaze, “Jess offend you there Princess?”
“She was being dismissive,” The statement, while brief, is obviously one born of hurt.
He grabs her wrist and waits for her to face him, “She can rot for all I care. You’re one of the best things in my life Abbs, and you’re more my family than she could ever be. Even before we were officially family.” He drops his voice to a conspiratorial tone, “Plus Nana’s jewelry is much prettier than that swag Dad’s strung round her neck, which is fitting given that you’re prettier than she is as well.”
“And that’s why you’re prince charming.”
They all share a chuckle before a call of “Anthony darling” makes Tony spin around.
“Aunt Cess, how’ve you been?”
“You know how it is, another party, another set of insincere windbags shaking hands and congratulating each other for helping the less fortunate… Father V asked me something very interesting about you young man.” She seems to notice Gibbs and Abby watching, “Oh, but you’ve brought guests.”
Tony laughs, “Yes I have Aunt Cess. Jethro, Abby, Chester, this is my Aunt, Francesca Milan. Dad’s sister. Aunt Cess, this is my partner Jethro Gibbs, his daughter Abby Scuito, and her escort Chester.”
“Partner?” Francesca eyes him curiously.
“However you want to take it.” His use of the term was deliberate, as both meanings are equally true.
“Then it’s lovely to meet you, Jethro. And you my dear are a vision, Janine would have been proud, eventually anyway, for you to wear her mother’s jewelry.”
To the amusement of the men accompanying her Abby blushes a little, “Thank you Ma’am, I’m very proud to have Tony claim me as family.”
“It’s not a claim princess and you know it,” Tony corrects.
“Very nice to meet you Ma’am,” Gibbs offers with genuine pleasure.
She pauses, clearly assessing him, “I take it I don’t need to tell you how special our Tony is.”
“No Ma’am you don’t. I know what a gift I’ve been given.”
Tony blushes deeply.
“Good man. Do me a favor? Don’t let him forget it.”
“I can promise you that.”
“If you two are quite finished the father appears to be waiting for his own introductions.”
Francesca leans in to kiss his cheek and whispers, “The father’s sensibilities could do with a bit of ruffling, Anthony Darling, but he is an old man, don’t go causing him a heart attack.”
Tony chuckles. “I will try to be delicate,” He returns the kiss to her cheek. “Shall we?” He gestures somewhat grandly, using it as a cover when he runs his fingers across Gibbs’ in a quick reconnection.
Father Vincenzo meets them halfway, offering Tony a hand as they near each other, “Anthony, I’ve been waiting to speak to you.”
“Absolutely Father. But first I’d like to introduce you to my partner, Jethro Gibbs. His daughter, Abby Scuito, and Chester Jones, Abby’s escort.”
An ill-concealed look of annoyance crosses the father’s face, “Mr. Gibbs, Miss Scuito, Mr. Jones. Nice to make your acquaintance. But if you don’t mind I truly must speak to Anthony in private.”
Tony considers him a moment, despite his break with the church he remembers a time when Father Vincenzo was the only person who would listen to him. The only one that didn’t tell him to grow up when chronic nightmares kept him from sleeping. With this in mind he turns to his companions, “Why don’t you go get some drinks, I’ll come find you in a few.”
Gibbs scan his expression for insincerity before nodding. “What are you drinking?”
“Single malt if they have it, if not bourbon is fine. Neat.”
Chester is clearly a little overwhelmed but he performs his duty admirably, offering Abby a gallant arm and follow Gibbs without trailing after him like a duckling.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

True to his word Father Vincenzo leads Tony to an antechamber where they can speak in privacy. “I’m very concerned for you Anthony.”
“Concerned why exactly?”
“When you mentioned that you were bringing your stepdaughter tonight I thought I had just missed your wedding announcement. I asked your aunt about it and she seemed surprised by the question. I know you’ve never been particularly close with your father Anthony, but Francesca loves you. And you need family my boy. Don’t shut those who care about you out needlessly.”
“I have not shut Aunt Cess out, Father V.” He smiles a little ruefully, “I haven’t even really shut Dad out. Though when I talk about my family it’s not them I mean.”
“Not telling them you got married is essentially the definition of shutting them out.”
“I didn’t actually get married. Abby declared herself my stepdaughter and we’ve all just carried on with it. I wasn’t really thinking when I called her that to you.”
“The young lady you brought with you?”
“She’s our princess yes.”
“I thought you said she was your partner’s daughter.”
“In this instance I mean life-partner as well as work partner.” He smiles a little self-depreciatingly, “Not that I wouldn’t marry Jethro in a minute flat if we could but at the moment it isn’t an option.”
“You’re telling me that you’re in a homosexual relationship with that man, Anthony?”
“That is exactly what I’m telling you.”
“You know that’s a sin.”
“So is divorce, and yet you’ve married my father and a new bride every few years for decades.”
“That’s a bit different. Church law on the matter of divorce changed.”
“And if tomorrow the Pope decrees that homosexuality is great and the answer to keeping priests from touching little boys then it‘s just so?”
The father ignores the question, “It’s unnatural and immoral.”
“Unnatural. People like to throw that one around. I just can’t see how it’s any more unnatural than any other type of sex. Hell, given the way it feels I’d wager it’s how sex is supposed to be done. If you mean two men loving each other in an emotional sense is unnatural… That one I can’t speak to. I’d say love is love but there just aren’t any arguments to make on that one. As for it being immoral, who am I harming? How am I negatively affecting others lives?”
“When some one like you, some one well off, talented and successful goes around proclaiming that there’s nothing wrong with homosexuality, that you are in fact a homosexual yourself, it sets a dangerous example. Young people begin to think of it as a viable choice, an alternative to a normal family life instead of the perversion of normal relationships that it is. Do you imagine that young lady is better off with you parading her around claiming to be her stepfather than she would have been of her parents stayed together?”
Tony huffs a disbelieving laugh, “Yes because after twenty five blissful years of marriage and family Jethro clapped eyes on my perfect ten of an ass and just had to leave his wife to spoil me rotten and whispers sweet nothings into my ear for the rest of our days.” He shakes his head, “Abby has not been affected in the slightest by my relationship with her father. And I’m certainly no home wrecker, Jethro had been single for quite some time when we met.”
“Be that as it may, if she’s come from a broken home she needs some proper role models all the more.”
“Just how young do you imagine her to be?”
“Nineteen, perhaps twenty.”
“Our princess is thirty. And her own women irrespective of any example we might set.”
“It’s still wrong Anthony. It’s a choice and it’s one of the things our teachings expressly forbid.”
“Your teachings Father V. I finally have a family that loves me and no one can make that dirty or wrong. I will always be grateful that you were there for me when I was a kid, but if that help had strings attached I’m sorry to disappoint you.”
“I would have expected you to grow to be a moral and upstanding man whether I assisted you in troubled times or not Anthony, but it was never a quid pro quo arrangement. You were a member of my church in need of guidance, it was my job to provide it.”
“So long as I wasn’t threatening the sanctity of your church by following my own calling.”
The father sighs deeply, “I’m sorry if our teachings have come to offend you Anthony but I stand by my god, my church and my pope. And all three agree that what you’re doing is a trespass against the laws of both nature and god himself. I‘m going to pray for you but if you don‘t repent it won‘t do you any good.”
Deciding to take it as a kindness that it didn’t denigrate into an actual shouting match Tony shakes his head and heads back into the main room, craving both Gibbs and the drink being fetched for him in nearly equal measure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abby spots Tony well before he can make it back across the room to them and begins subtly maneuvering both Chester and Gibbs toward a small empty table as the look on Tony’s face is a clear indicator that he could use a moment.
“Spot somebody you know Abbs?” Gibbs asks when her herding becomes just a bit more blatant. He follows her gaze and know immediately what she’s doing. He also makes an effort to suppress his rising anger, he’d foolishly thought that getting through the initial meeting with Dominic DiNozzo was the hard part. “Run interference for us for a while Princess?”
“You don’t even need to ask Pop. Just make sure he’s okay.”
Gibbs kisses her cheek, “You know I will.”
Tony slides into his seat and retrieves his drink without so much as a word. The others wait patiently. He sighs, “Needless to say Father V did not take the news well.”
The toneless statement worries Gibbs and he drops all pretenses, guiding Tony‘s gaze to meet his own with a gentle hand, “Are you going to be okay?”
“Yeah, I will. I guess I just didn’t really think about it… When I was a kid my parents were just a little too busy being well-to-do and upcoming to spare any time to deal with their bratty little son’s nightmares. Father V was always ready to listen, to talk me down. He never called me silly or dismissed my concerns the way Dad did on the couple of occasions where he actually listened. I guess I just thought he’d understand this too. Which is stupid, I know. I mean the man is a catholic priest.”
“It’s not stupid to want the approval of the people you looked up to in your youth Tony.”
Tony finishes his drink, gives a wan smile, and gently takes Jethro’s hand from it’s perch under his chin to hold it under the table, “At least he didn’t directly call me a pervert and ask that we all leave at once.”
“We don’t have to stay,” Abby quickly reassures him.
“No you don’t Abbs, but I do need to stay a bit longer. Rounds to make, obligations to fulfill. No matter how hard I try I always get pulled back into this world to one degree or another and rebuilding burnt bridges can be a real pain. And it’s something of a ritual for me and Mrs. Draper to spontaneously start a discussion about how the foundation was started in front of some newcomers. I just need a minute here with my real family first if you don‘t mind.”
“Neither of us ever minds spending time with you Tony, you know that,” Gibbs promises.
“Never ever Tony. You’re an important part of our family and you know it.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a few moments discussing the sights Abby would like to see while in New York Tony feels more like himself again. He even manages not to startle when Lucas Dashal puts a hand on his shoulder, “There you are Tony.”
“Lucas, it’s been a long time, what three years?”
“Something like that.”
“Lucas I’d like you to meet Jethro Gibbs, my partner; Abby Scuito, his daughter; and Chester Jones, her escort for the evening. Everyone, this is Lucas Dashal, we attended middle school together.”
“We’ve met before haven’t we?” Lucas asks Gibbs as he shakes his hand.
“Yes we have Senator Dashal, most recently at the Marine Corp Birthday ball last week.”
“I remember, Mrs. Jareau seemed to think it important that we meet.”
“Nadine was just playing politics. She seems to think the agency needs to establish better relationships with the oversight committee.”
“I do always forget that you’re with NCIS now Tony.”
“Just goes to show what an awful friend you are. My father said you wanted to speak to me?”
“Vera wanted me to make sure you had her new number in DC.”
“I thought you were discouraging that nonsense.”
“I’ve tried, time and again. You were her hero, I just can‘t counteract that.”
“Neither can I, and I’ve been trying for over two decades.”
Lucas laughs, “You saved her from an over eager date Tony, I think to a girl with too many years of reading fairy tales that makes you prince charming.”
Abby begins giggling at that, “Well he’s someone’s prince charming anyway.”
“You went and found yourself a princess at last then?” Lucas asks Tony with amusement.
At that Gibbs and Tony chuckle as Abby continues to giggle. When he’s able Tony offers his friend a more sincere smile, “I settled down with someone yes.”
“And I missed something funny.”
“Not so much. Just a bit of an inside joke. One of Abby‘s nicknames is Princess. So all you wanted of me was to pass on a little love note from Vera?”
“And to ask if you’re going to step up and play this year or just back our team again.”
“I’ve told you before Lucas I can’t guarantee I’d be there and if you’re down a man you automatically forfeit. You can count on my usual pledge though.”
“I expected nothing less but you know I have to ask.” He glances up at his wife, “I have to go back to being senatorial now. It was very nice meeting you Jethro, Abby and Chester. A welcome distraction from all the glad handing and lying.”
Before any of them can respond he’s off into the crowd around them. Tony shakes his head but smiles a more relaxed smile, “Context is everything, I suppose.”
“Didn’t know your friend was a senator?”
“Just didn’t know he was on the oversight committee for NCIS’s budget or that he attended functions like the Corp’s Birthday ball. I suppose to me he’ll always be the kid from down the block who’s younger sister got in over her head one New Year’s Eve.” Clearly remembering he has a role to play Tony stands up, “Jethro, if you’ll accompany me it’s time I had that discussion with Mrs. Draper. Why don’t you two go check out the silent auction?” The last is addressed to Abby and Chester absently.
Recognizing one of Tony’s masks, though this is a new one in his experience Gibbs follows as asked sparing only a second to nod to Abby. “I suppose I’m to ask about how the foundation got it’s start.”
“You can. But mostly I pulled you along hoping afterwards we might find a secluded corner for a moment. I’m trying to minimize the public displays. No need to ruffle too many feathers unnecessarily.”
It’s clear all the personally important introductions have taken place and creating false impressions is no longer a danger so much as a fact of life. Gibbs takes this as a cue to turn on the charm and begin deflecting questions that would cause more harm than good if they were to answer them. He even goes so far as to mingle a bit outside of Tony’s immediate sphere, not flirting or even really discussing all that much, just making small talk and carefully tasteful jokes.
Tony, a bit surprised by the sudden adeptness at what is essentially playing politics, makes his way to Gibbs’ side and puts a hand at the small of the other man’s back, “There you are Jethro. Have you met Carl Iverson yet? He’s an old friend of Doctor Mallard’s and when I mentioned you were here he said he’d be delighted to meet you at last. Any friend of Ducky’s and all that.”
Gibbs smiles at Tony before returning his attention to his conversational partner, “It’s been a pleasure Ms. Yorke.”
“Likewise Mr. Gibbs.”
After a few feet Tony murmurs, “So it’s just when we need you to be diplomatic that you’re incapable of it?”
“Your mask is a flirtatious frat boy, mine is an unapproachable bastard. Wouldn’t do to go charming officials and witnesses left and right. Or making deals with people I’d prefer to lock up and throw away the keys to their cells. Besides, I like watching you be diplomatic on my behalf.”
Tony shakes his head but smiles, “You really are a bastard.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abby does her best to focus on the offerings for the silent auction, but can’t help but worry over Tony’s uncharacteristically distant behavior.
“Abby?” Chester asks, clearly concerned.
She shakes her head and follows the men’s example, putting on a diplomatic face, “Sorry, just a little worried about Tony.”
“He seemed to be handling himself well to me.”
“He is, and it‘s not at all surprising. I‘m just worried about how distant he‘s acting all of the sudden.”
“I’m sure it’s just a reaction to the situation.”
“I hope so.”
An idea occurs to Chester and he gently pulls her in the other direction, “Besides I need you tell me if there’s anything on offer that he and your father might like. I was thinking I’d bid on something of a thank you gift for the hospitality they’ve shown me.”
Abby is quickly captivated by the idea and is inspecting the lots with the full force of her not inconsiderable attention.
“Tony would adore the puppy but it’d probably have to live with Pop and I don’t think he’d appreciate it.” She bids on him anyway and Chester gives her a curious look. “If I win I’ll keep him. He’s adorable.” The tiny retriever in the photo is most certainly that.
“No art, jewelry or fashion of course,” Abby murmurs almost to herself.
“Are either of them Jets or Mets fans?”
“Nope. The only team they agree on is the Redskins. Pop is a Nationals fan, Tony prefers the Orioles. Well I suppose they both like OSU, but I think on Pop’s part it’s mostly that Tony looks cute in the sweatshirt and jacket, but I could be wrong.”
“Even I can tell that dancing lessons or art classes wouldn’t be right.”
“The camping equipment might be just right. Seems like something they could both enjoy.”
“Sounds good to me.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“One more kiss for luck?” Tony asks hopefully with a glance at the door to their empty little hallway.
Gibbs smiles at that, “Is there something waiting in there that you need luck for?”
“Only the thing I’ve been dreading the most: the dancing.”
“You’re a good dancer, at least when you’re not trying to dance with me. Or so Abbs tells me.”
“It’s not the ability to dance that’s the problem. I was classically trained at my father’s insistence. The problem is that the auction doesn’t close for almost an hour and I saw Abby bidding on something, which means we need to be here. Now even if I stretch it as much as possible and rope Aunt Cess into a dance that’s only about fifteen minutes. That leaves about forty minutes of listening to women I don’t know chatter and watching girls like that little blonde number you were chatting up pawing you.”
“You’re the one likely to get pawed, not me.”
“I’d say false modesty doesn’t suit you but I think you honestly believe that.” He shakes his head, “I’d think between four former wives, Abby’s Mom, me and Jenny Sheppard the conclusion would have been pretty much drawn for you Jethro.”
“Oh I appeal to certain people, there‘s no doubt about that. But I‘m too old and blue collar to attract the attention of the debutants, and just not young enough for the prowling wildcats. Here at least you‘re the one they‘ll flock too.”
“You underestimate the draw of a handsome and mysterious man with a charming smile and the gall to go tie-less.”
“But my date picked out my suit.”
“They don’t know that.”
“True enough, and unfortunately if we spend any longer in here someone’s bound to notice.”
“I think some of them already have.”
“Don’t care. And if you do I’m sorry, but you looked haunted back there.”
Tony smiles at that, “I don’t mind you touching me in public at all. Even here. Fornell laughing it off pretty much cured my fear of discovery by anyone but Jenny Sheppard. That’s not to say I’m ready to completely abandon discretion, but if they saw so be it.”
“Still, you’ll want to comb your hair before we rejoin the party.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abby is so relieved when Gibbs asks to cut in that she spins out of Chester’s grasp faster than he can respond. “Is Tony okay or is he still talking like some trust fund zombie?”
Gibbs chuckles and grips her wrist in a calming gesture, “He’s fine. He was feeling a little overwhelmed and you know Tony, he puts on a brave face when he feels that way. I took good care of him, I promise. Now I came for my dance with the prettiest girl at the party, and I know Tony will want his turn as soon as his stepmother lets him go, so let‘s dance Princess.”
She waits until they’ve been dancing for a bit before fixing her gaze on Tony, “She seems to like Tony well enough.”
“From what he’d told me before I expected her to be colder.” He agrees, also watching Tony and Jessica chatting warmly.
“She liked you too,” Abby brings her gaze back to her father, “Which I certainly wasn’t expecting.”
“Me either to tell you the truth.”
“It’s good for Tony though.”
“If we’re lucky she’ll continue to keep his father in line too.”
“I thought you didn’t like him.”
“I don’t, and neither does Tony. But he’s Tony’s father and having some relationship, even a bad one, with his father would probably be good for him. He let that man’s disregard hurt him for a very long time without ever severing the connection. It could only do him good to improve the relationship.”
Abby laughs, “It is totally sweet how protective of him you are.”
“I always protect the ones I love Baby.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Shall I cut in or do you want to?”
“Seeing as the princess is expecting a dance from me anyway, I’ll cut in.” Jessica looks at him askance and it occurs to him that she missed the significance of who Abby is earlier. “Abbs is Jethro’s daughter. She declared me her stepfather almost as soon as we told her we’re together. There were some jokes about it being better for everyone that the king had decided to give up on wicked step mothers in favor of settling down with prince charming. It became a natural extension of the concept that she’s our princess.” He smiles a little embarrassedly, “And while we’re a bit too close in age for me to feel parental towards her exactly, I do feel protective and that she is definitely family.”
“She…” Jessica hesitates, “She seemed like a sweet girl.”
“You dismissed her out of hand, like we all do when we’re introduced to random strangers at functions like this. Unfortunately you paid her exactly no notice and missed who she was in relation to Jethro, myself and even you Jess.” He doesn’t wait for a response, just strides over, says a few words to Jethro and waltzes his princess away.
Jethro’s smile as he approaches could probably be called charming if his posture weren’t so rigid. “I believe I owe you a dance Ma’am.”
“That you do,” She smiles and falls easily into step with him. “So how did you and Anthony meet?”
“On the job. He was investigating a series of murders and when the last two victims turned out to be naval personnel I was called in to take over the case. He turned on the charm and started talking about finally getting a sensible ally on the case. I thought he was blowing smoke to try and keep jurisdiction, and getting in a little flirting on the sly. Turned out he really did have a good line on the investigation and no real support. Three weeks later we’d wrapped the case and I talked the director into luring him away from Baltimore.”
“From what little Dominic told me I thought you two hadn’t been together all that long.”
“We’ve known each other about five years but we’ve only been seriously involved about three months. If you need more detail than that you‘ll need to speak to Tony.”
“Fair enough. Your daughter seems very found of him.”
“He’s family and family is pretty much the most important thing in the world to Abby.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Where do you think you’re going?” Tony asks as Abby tries to break away from him after their dance.
“To dance with my date. He’s been very patient so far.”
“So you’re just going to throw me to the wolves?”
“Go dance with Daddy. I’m sure he’d appreciate the rescue.”
“That would be a bit too overt princess.”
Abby rolls her eyes, “Then ask one of the grandmotherly old church ladies to dance. Just don’t tell them you’re living in sin with a man.”
“We’re not living in sin. Yet. We’re just doing a hell of a lot of sinning, period.”
“Just don’t tell the nuns.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the cab ride back to the hotel Tony tucks himself unabashedly into Gibbs’ side and laments, “I am never doing that again.”
“What happened?” Gibbs asks with real concern.
“Just a little bit of wandering hands from a lady old enough to be my nana.” He shakes his head, “One of the ones I thought was safe too.”
Gibbs wraps an arm around Tony’s waist and kisses his forehead before murmuring, “Other than that it seemed to go well.”
“Thanks in large part to Jessica manipulating Dad but I’ll take what I can get. What about you Abbs, did you have a good time?”
“Once I was sure you were ok I had fun.”
Tony relaxes every block they put behind them, “What did you find to bid on?”
“This adorable little golden retriever and an offer of obedience lessons.”
“I thought you couldn’t have pets at your place Princess.”
“New landlord. I’m not sure he’d let me keep a dog but he was cute and it would have been for a good cause.” Neither of them mention the ill fated attempt at bidding on a thank you gift.
Tony turns a curious eye on Chester, “How are you holding up there Chester? They didn’t try to eat you alive did they?”
“No too badly no. I was asked numerous times about my religious affiliation and martial status but nothing more aggressive than that.”
When they arrive at the hotel Tony’s managed to rally some better spirits, “Dance with me?”
“Upstairs.”
“Fair enough. You kids have fun,” He instructs lightly before kissing Abby’s cheek.
“Don’t do anything you’d be scared to tell your mother about,” Gibbs adds kissing the other cheek.
“That’s not much restriction. ‘Night Pop, night Tony.”
In the elevator Tony tucks himself into Gibbs’ side again and given his usual hesitance toward any sort of public display Giibs has to voice his concern, “You sure you’re all right?”
Tony hums inquisitively before it clicks, “Oh, Father V’s attitude hurt but that’s not what’s getting to me. It’s exhausting playing that part. Polite society is a maze of lies and evasions. Remember which one to use with whom is always exhausting. I always swear after one of these things that it’s the last time. And yet, somehow, Dad always finds a way to rope me into it again.”
“Family’s like that. And if attending these things bother you so much we won’t do it anymore. One of the great things about being part of an us? If for instance, you find yourself unable to say no to your father I as your back up can step up. Refuse on your behalf. Make up some foolish excuse. Tell him off. Whatever you need from me.”
“Charm the pants off all the ladies when I do indeed give in.” Tony allows himself to be led into their room.
Gibbs shakes his head, “Given how much of a flirt you are this jealousy thing you’ve got going is a little shocking I have to say.”
“I am a flirt. I flirt with everybody. You on the other hand barely even flirt with me.”
“And I wasn’t flirting with anyone tonight.”
“Call it what you will, you were smiling, telling jokes, encouraging discussion.”
“I was mingling. Making a good impression on people who may or may not have an impact on my partner’s relationship with his family.”
“Partner huh?”
“I think it covers all of our various bases nicely.”
“True enough, we are work partners, bed partners, dance partners… Life partners…”
“Right on all counts but one. I seem to remember us being pretty much awful as dance partners.”
“We were both trying to lead. Tonight I’m going to put on some old blue eyes, follow your lead and remind you, preemptively, that if you in any fashion call me a lady you’ll regret it.”
“Fair enough. And it seems to me we’re at our best when you follow my lead.”
Tony laughs and moves to set up his ipod. When he returns Gibbs has shrugged out of his jacket and he quickly goes to work on Tony’s tie. After a quick pause to tuck the dress shoes against the wall Gibbs begins to move them in time to the soft melody of “I’ve got you under my skin.”
As they move together effortlessly Tony makes a small sound, almost a purr. “Thank you for tonight Jethro. For… For making promises to Aunt Cess I don’t want to know about. For being friendly to Jess. For not starting trouble with my father. For dancing with me. For-”
Gibbs cuts the flow of words off with a quick kiss, “No need to thank me Tony. I love you. This, all of this, was no hardship.”
“Still, thank you.”
Chapter End Notes:
This chapter features a negative reaction. Who is in a position that makes him representative of a group. He is however an indivual, expressing a personal opinnion.