- Text Size +
**Chapter Sixteen -- Bury Your Dead**

**September 17, 2009 -- Tony's Apartment**

Tony stepped away from the door, pulling it open enough so that Ziva could enter the apartment. They didn't speak as he lead her into the living room, sitting next to her on the dark leather couch.

His hand reached up to brush her cheek gently, surprised when she flinched slightly but didn't pull away. "I'm sorry." He whispered. "What...what happened? I mean, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want..."

"I was captured." She said simply, focusing her gaze on the OSU Buckeye logo on his shirt.

"Rivkin's mission?"

"Yes."

He ran a hand through his hair. He could tell that she didn't want to talk much about it, considering her short answers. "How...did you get back here?"

"I was rescued," Ziva explained, her gaze never leaving the small green and red emblem on the upper left hand side of his shirt. "During an offensive strike after 3 months of intelligence gathering missions."

Tony opened his mouth to speak again and her eyes looked up to meet his. "Stop." She said. "I would really rather not talk about it, Tony. Perhaps someday I will tell you the story."

"Okay." He nodded, accepting her answer as he looked her over quickly. Her clothes were freshly cleaned, but he could tell that they were the same ones she had probably been wearing the whole time she was in captivity. "Lemme get you some clean clothes."

"These are clean. Run down, perhaps, but clean."

"Worn out." Tony stood up and smiled at her. "I think I have something better for you. Go ahead and relax, I'll be right back."

The Italian walked into his bedroom and opened the top drawer of his dresser. The drawer was mostly Abby's pajamas mixed with a few of his shirts that she had pilfered from him. He removed a NCIS T-shirt and a pair of Abby's pants, closing the drawer before heading back into the living room.

When he stepped around the couch he was surprised to find Ziva asleep, sitting in the same position he had left her in. Smiling sadly, he set the clothes on the couch and picked her up, carrying her to his bedroom.

**2 Years Earlier -- March 7, 2007 -- NCIS Headquarters**

Snapping the cell phone closed between her fingers, Abby dropped the obnoxious little device onto the table, her frown deepening slightly.

She'd been trying all morning to reach Tony to no avail, and while she'd been mildly irritated at first, she was starting to become worried. Picking the phone back up, she shoved it in her pocket before heading out of the lab, chewing on her lip nervously.

The ride up to the squad room had seemed longer than usual, and by the time the elevator doors had opened up on the third floor, it was all she could do to keep from pulling her hair out.

"Has anyone heard from Tony?" She asked, her heavy boots pounding across the floor as she rushed into the bullpen. "'Cause I've been trying to call him since last night, and he hasn't answered. Not one call, not one text. He always answers...*always*. Even when he's busy. I mean, it's rule number 3...never be unreachable. I'm getting really..."

"Abby." Gibbs said, walking up behind her and placing a hand on her shoulder, shooting a look at McGee and Ziva, silently asking why they were letting her ramble on.

"Uh, yeah..." McGee started. "I'm sure he'll be here soon, Abs. Don't worry."

"Don't worry?! Obviously you don't understand, Timmy! Tony *always* answers me back!"

"Not today," Director Shepard announced as she made her way down the stairs, her face set in a frown. "Agent McGee, I need you to trace a number."

McGee eyed his boss momentarily, waiting for the older man to give him a curt nod before he sat down at his desk, fingers poised over the keyboard.

"Two zero two, five five five, zero one seven seven."

"DiNozzo in trouble?" Gibbs asked, walking behind his Junior Agent to watch over his shoulder as he worked on tracing the number.

Abby watched as McGee's fingers flew over the keyboard quickly, glancing up at the plasma as he pressed a button.

"Anthony...DiNardo?" Abby asked, confusion written all over her face. "What's...?"

"He was on assignment?" Ziva asked, equally confused.

"Special Agent DiNozzo's alias for an undercover assignment he's been working for the last year."

"Undercover? Why wasn't I notified about this, Jen?" Gibbs asked, unsuccessful at keeping the anger out of his voice.

"It was strictly need to know."

"And now?"

Releasing an irritated sigh, the red head didn't bother to hide her scowl as she opened her phone. "The woman that Agent DiNozzo has been seeing, Jeanne Benoit, is La Grenouille's daughter."

Try as she might, Abby couldn't contain her gasp. "But..."

Ignoring her, Director Shepard continued. "We had a signal that he was to use only in the event he thought his cover was blown and twenty minutes ago, he used it."

"God Damnit, Jen. McGee, you got a location on his phone?"

"Triangulating."

Jenny looked over at the younger man quickly. "I want this fed into MTAC with satellite coverage." She said, walking out of the bullpen and up the stairs.

Gibbs and Ziva started to walk away and Abby looked back at McGee momentarily before she began to follow only to have Gibbs turn and stop her. "No, Abs."

"But, Gibbs...!" She exclaimed, looking up at him anxiously. "Please. He...he's my best friend. I have to know he's okay."

The silver-haired agent sighed heavily, ushering the scientist in front of him. "Let's go. But if I tell you to leave, you have to go. Clear?"

"Crystal." Abby agreed, allowing Gibbs to lead her up the stairs to MTAC.

McGee joined them a few moments later, slightly out of breath as he entered the dimly lit room. "He's on 22nd Street Northwest, outside Monroe University Hospital. Moving, must be in a car."

Abby wrung her hands as she stood at her boss' side, staring at the large screen in front of her.

Jenny looked up at the younger man. "How long until we have satellite coverage?"

"P...probably at least 15 minutes." The Goth answered for him, shifting nervously from one foot to the other. It wasn't often that she claimed her 'gut' worked, but this was one of the times.

"Ziva?" Gibbs asked, looking at the Israeli who was trying to call Tony's phone again.

"Still no answer. Should I try his undercover phone?"

Gibbs nodded sharply and she put it on speaker when the answering machine immediately picked up. Everyone's head turned toward the phone as the message played, surprised at the message for 'Professor Tony DiNardo'.

Jenny looked away from Gibbs, his eyes burning into her. "His cover is teaching film online at American University." She explained.

Abby started to pace in a wide circle. "Tony? Teach? No wonder he's been compromised!" She exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air. "He couldn't teach a fish to swim. Who's bright idea was that?"

Director Shepard turned to face the younger woman. "Mine." Abby's face immediately fell, her eyes looking down to the floor.

"We're in." McGee spoke up, breaking the awkward silence as he brought up the satellite feed of Tony's car. "That's his car." He said, pulling the license plate and running it. "Tony DiNardo's car."

Gibbs shot their Director a disappointed look, making they red-headed woman frown again.

"How deep is this cover?" Gibbs questioned, looking at her coldly.

"Deep enough." She reassured him, seeing the anger in his eyes.

"You better hope so."

Director Shepard dropped her gaze momentarily before she glanced back up at the screen.

"Ziva, try to call again," Gibbs ordered, dropping his hand to Abby's shoulder in order to still the nervous young woman.

Nodding in response, the Israeli dialed her partner's number again, shaking her head. "Still no response."

"God dammit, DiNozzo!"

"He must not be alone," Director Shepard mused. "There's no other..."

It happened so fast.

He'd been focused on Abby when he caught the flash on the screen out of the corner of his eye. He was positive he'd never forget the sound of Ziva's horrified gasp or McGee's quiet moan as the car exploded.

"No...oh Tony..." Abby managed before her legs gave out beneath her.

The silver-haired man gripped the younger woman's arms and he pulled her against his chest just seconds before she hit the floor.

Her body went limp against his as he lifted her into his arms, swallowing hard against the lump that had formed in his own throat.

"McGee...gas the truck. Ziva, get Palmer. Tell Duck to meet me in the lab."

Neither agent moved at first until he barked the orders again.

He watched as his two agents scrambled out of the room before he turned back to the Director, the Goth still cradled against him. "I'll deal with you later."

He carried Abby out of MTAC and down to her lab, crouching to lay her down on her futon just as Ducky walked in.

"My God, Jethro, what happened?" He asked, seeing the young woman curled up on the thin mattress.

He stood up after pressing a kiss to her cheek and signing something into her hand quickly. "Tony's car just got blown up." He spoke quietly, stepping into the larger portion of the lab. "We saw it happen upstairs on a satellite."

"Perhaps we should try to get ahold of Tony before we jump to conclusions. Surely there must be some mistake."

"I wish it was, Duck."

The ME was speechless for a moment as he looked between his friend and the young woman they all felt protective of.

Gibbs dropped his hand onto the shorter man's shoulder comfortingly. "I need you to keep an eye on her while we go to the scene."

"You aren't going to have another team go to the scene?" Ducky asked, frowning when the taller man scoffed and shot him a look. "I cannot believe you, Jethro! Have you not even taken the well-being of your remaining team into account? You don't think that this is affecting them in much the same way it is affecting Abigail?"

Gibbs fought to keep from rolling his eyes. "They're trained investigators, Duck. I don't think they would want another team taking this. And neither do I."

The medical examiner released a heavy sigh as he sank down into Abby's chair. "And you are positive that it was Anthony?"

Glancing back between the raven-haired woman and the distraught medical examiner, Gibbs have a slight nod.

He wanted to believe that a mistake had been made, that the car they'd watched hadn't belonged to the Italian that they were all so fond of, but even his gut was telling him that it was DiNozzo's car.

"I'll be back as soon as we finish. Look after her, Duck."

"Jethro..." Ducky called, hesitating slightly as Gibbs paused at the door. "You're going to call Bradley, I assume?"

Gibbs sighed. "Gonna have to, Duck. I think he's the only one who's gonna be able to help her."

**Three Hours Later**

"Ducky?" McGee called, walking into the slightly darkened lab.

The ME looked up from the file he was reading and waved to the younger man. "In here, Timothy."

He made his way into the back office, glancing around quickly to see Abby curled up on her futon, her body racked with sobs as she stared at the wall blankly.

"How long...?" The younger man asked quietly, watching his friend.

"Since just after Jethro left her down here to go to the scene. She calls for him every so often...I'm sure I don't have to tell you she's extremely distraught."

McGee merely nodded, kneeling on the floor next to her. He reached out and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, frowning as she flinched away, the unshed tears burning behind his eyes. "Hey...it's me, Abs. It's Tim. C'mere."

Ducky stood silently and left the room, going to find Gibbs and giving the grieving pair some privacy. He smiled sadly to himself as he reached the door, hearing McGee whispering comforting words to his friend.

"C'mon Abs. Gibbs wants me to take you home. We'll pick up some food on the way, huh?"

She nodded, pushing him away when he attempted to help her stand. "'M fine." She mumbled, her voice saturated with tears.

Turning away from the Junior Agent, she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand and headed for the elevator with McGee right behind her.

When they stepped off the elevator, Trent Kort was standing in the center of the bullpen, surrounded by Gibbs, Ziva and the Director, speaking in hushed tones. They walked up and joined the group, obviously in the middle of the conversation.

"DiNozzo." Kort spat, shooting a firm look at Jenny. Abby's head jerked up and Gibbs immediately walked over to her.

*It's okay. Don't worry about him.* He signed, leading the Goth to his desk with a hand at the small of her back and sitting her down. *Stay here.*

Jenny looked at him with a smug smile. "I'm not telling you anything until you explained to me why you're looking for him so urgently."

Kort chuckled grimly before answering. "La Grenouille flew into DC this morning, he didn't arrive at his safehouse and his satellite phone is not on."

"Mislaid your arms dealer? That's gotta be embarrassing." Gibbs noted, rejoining the small cluster around the CIA operative.

"You are jeopardizing the most important long-term covert operation the Agency has ever conducted."

"Operation Lodestone?" Gibbs interjected, knowing it would rattle the other man.

Kort shot the older man a look of disbelief. "You're not read in on Lodestone." He said, turning away and heading for the elevator.

Gibbs motioned for Abby to stay as he followed Kort across the room to the elevator. "Special Agent DiNozzo's car was bombed this morning, but I guess you knew that."

"He wasn't in it." Kort said lowly, not bothering to look back at Gibbs as he pressed the button on the elevator.

The elevator door opened and Tony stood up straigter, offering a chuckle as he stood face-to-face with Kort.

"Hey, my car blew up this morning." He said, a light tone to his voice as he pointed an accusing finger at the man. "Did you do that?"

"Where did you go with La Grenouille?" Kort asked harshly, grabbing the younger man by the lapel of his jacket and slamming him against the wall of the elevator, only to have McGee, Ziva and Gibbs pull their weapons on him. He released Tony, watching as the brunette straigtened his tie.

"He prefers Rene. Arms dealers get touchy about their code names. The Frog has a bit of a slimy overtone to it, you should remember that for next time. Maybe use it for yourself."

Kort scoffed as he stepped into the elevator. "We will find him, DiNozzo."

"You might wanna take the stairs." Tony chuckled. "I had a little upset tummy this morning. Happy Frog Hunting!"

Tugging his jacket back into place, Tony waited until the elevator doors closed on Kort before he turned back to his astonished teammates, plastering a bright grin onto his face.

"What? No balloons?"

Abby could feel her entire body trembling angrily as she pushed herself up from Gibbs' desk, her vision still hazy with tears.

Glancing past his team, Tony's grin faltered slightly as he took in Abby's tear stained face and red eyes. "Hey. What's the matter? Hot Topic discontinue your favorite lipstick?" He teased.

"You...How *dare* you..."

"I'm just..."

The sound of the Goth's fist connecting with the Italian's jaw seemed to echo through the squad room. Gibbs watched as Tony stumbled backwards, his hand immediately cupping his face.

"What the fu...?"

Stepping forward, Gibbs caught the raven-haired woman around the waist as she drew back her fist again, hating the way she struggled against him.

"Abby..." He whispered.

"You...you sonofabitch!" She spat. "How...you *lied* to us! For a whole year, you lied to *me*! You..."

"Abby." Gibbs tried again.

"And then...you just...we all thought..." A strangled sob escaped her as she finally broke free from Gibbs' grasp, pushing passed the wide eyed Israeli and dumbfounded McGee, heading for the women's bathroom.

"Abby!" Tony tried, reaching for her as she brushed passed. His face fell as she shrugged away from his touch.

"I can't...I can't even look at you right now." She cried. "Just...go away and leave me alone."

Gibbs motioned for Ziva to check on the scientist as he placed a hand on the Italian's shoulder and led him away from the rest of the group.

"She's had a hard day, Tony." The silver-haired man defended, his voice softer than usual. "Cut her some slack."

Tony shook his head. "I'm not mad at her." He scoffed, turning to face the window. "She's right. I lied. To everyone. I deserved it. I should go talk to her."

"Go home, Tony. Get some rest. You'll get a chance to talk to her tomorrow."

He nodded solemnly, walking to the elevator and going to check a Charger out of the motor pool before heading home.

**Later That Night**

Gibbs walked into the lab, unsurprised to find Abby elbow deep in forensic tests from cold cases she had been working for months.

"Abby. You're supposed to be at home with McGee."

She didn't look up at him, instead choosing to focus on her computer screen. "I didn't want to. Don't wanna think right now."

He gave her a small smirk. "What is it you're doing then? I've never known you to not think while working."

"I'm distracting myself, Gibbs. I don't want to think about today, okay? I don't wanna think about how I punched my best friend." She hung her head, pulling her hands away from the keyboard. "He probably hates me."

"Nah." He said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "He doesn't hate you. Now, go home. This will be here for you tomorrow."

She nodded and allowed him to lead her out of the lab, picking up her purse on the way out. Once they got to her car, he made sure she was inside safely and shut the door.

"Don't come back tonight. Security won't let you in."

Abby frowned at him before revving her engine and pulling away, driving in circles around the Navy Yard for a good 20 minutes before finally making up her mind to go talk to Tony.

Once she got to his apartment, she began having second thoughts as she spotted the Charger with government plates parked outside. She sighed heavily and walked in, taking the elevator to his floor.

Stepping out into Tony's hallway, she made her way down the hallway towards her friend's apartment, her shoulders slumped sadly.

Stopping in front of his door, she took a moment to collect herself before she raised her fist and knocked.

It had been a hell of a day, one in which her emotions had been all over the place, and now that she'd had time to cool down, she realized she'd overreacted in the squad room.

She'd been relieved...no, ecstatic when Tony had stepped off the elevator, alive and unharmed, but her relief had quickly turned to anger at the thought of the web of lies and deceit that he'd been spinning over the last year and she'd reacted before she could stop herself.

Sighing softly when she heard no movement inside. Lifting her hand, she knocked again. "Tony?" She called quietly, her voice hoarse. "I saw the Charger outside. I know you're in there."

She heard the sound of bare feet thumping quietly against the hardwood floor of his entryway before the lock slid out of place and the door fell open.

She'd come with every intention of requesting an explanation, but as she got a good look at him for the first time that day, she found she didn't need one.

"Oh Tony," she whispered.

Forcing a small smile, the Italian leaned against the door frame, looking completely and utterly defeated.

She could see the dark bruise that had formed on his jaw from where she had struck him and the very sight of it was enough to bring tears to her eyes.

"Can I...can I come in?" She asked, her voice wavering slightly.

Nodding, he stepped out of the doorway and allowed her in and for the first time, she noticed the bottle hanging from his hand. She followed after him, noting the way he stumbled slightly as he made his way over to the couch before he sank down with a quiet sigh.

"'M sorry," He slurred slightly, his eyes not meeting hers as he took a long drink of the clear liquid in the bottle. "'Bout t'day," He clarified.

"Tony--"

"Didn't mean t'make you cry."

Dropping to the couch beside him, she took the bottle from his hands, setting it on the table before she wrapped her arms around him.

"I'm so sorry, Tony," She whispered, burying her face against his neck. "I s...shouldn't have yelled at you today. I was just...I thought...I didn't think I'd ever see you again," She sobbed, losing the battle with her tears.

He could feel his chest tightening uncomfortably as he listened to her ragged sobs, the sound reminding him just how many people he'd hurt with his lies.

He wrapped his arms around her, holding her against him as he pressed his nose into her hair.

They sat together for the better part of an hour, neither willing to let the other go. The buzz he had started to wear off and the realization of what he'd done hit him hard.

Abby could feel him trembling against her, and as she pulled away, she could see the raw pain in his eyes.

"You really loved her."

It wasn't a question, just an observation and it hit him like a punch to the gut.

"She was just an assignment," He lied, immediately bringing himself back from the edge of tears.

Abby knew exactly what he was doing, having seen him put on the same act a hundred times. It was on the tip of her tongue to call him on it, to question and prod and force him to admit not only to her but to himself as well that he'd fallen for his mark.

But something in his eyes stopped her.

Forcing him to admit the depth of his feelings for the woman would do more harm than good so she merely nodded. She watched the way the tension fell from his shoulders as he relaxed against the couch, though the mask slipped away as well.

"It's okay Tony," she whispered, settling back against his side.

"No, it's not. But it will be."