- Text Size +
**Chapter Nine -- Kill Ari Part Two**

**May 22, 2009 -- Abby's Lab**

Tony stepped off the elevator and stepped into the lab, unheard by the forensic scientist over the throbbing music she was playing. He watched her, she had her back to the door, bouncing along to the music as she worked. Dropping his backpack near the door, he walked up behind Abby and flicked her pigtails, making her jump.

She spun around quickly, startled. "Tony!" She shouted playfully, punching him in the shoulder lightly.

He chuckled half-heartedly, moving to stand beside her and lean against the workbench.

Abby looked him over curiously, stripping off her gloves and tossing them in the trash. "You okay, T?"

"No." He mumbled, sighing when he caught her confused look. "You won't believe what Gibbs did."

"Stuck you on cold cases again for being late? I told you to hurry up and finish your breakfast!" She giggled, but the smile on her face quickly faded when she saw the seriousness in Tony's eyes. "What happened?"

"He replaced Ziva!" Tony fumed, pushing off the counter and pacing in front of Abby. "Just flat out replaced her! Already has a probie at her desk."

Abby watched as he paced in front of her. "Is this how I look when I'm frustrated?"

Tony stopped in his tracks and turned, shooting her a sharp glance. "Sorry." She apologized meekly, watching as he continued pacing. "T, you know it was her decision to leave. As much as we all love Ziva, Gibbs is...dealing. This is how he deals."

"How he deals?" He turned back to Abby and frowned. "Why are you defending him, Abs?"

"I'm not defending him, Tony! I'm just saying...she betrayed him." Abby shrugged. "She lied to us. Even you. I just understand where he's coming from."

Tony scoffed and brushed past her roughly, heading for the door.

"T! Wait!" Abby cried, grabbing his arm and pulling him back to face her. She could see the pain in his eyes at the thought of replacing Ziva. "I'm sorry." She whispered.

Wrenching his arm from her grip, he turned away, though he didn't make another move to leave. He was angry. Angry at Ziva for walking away. Angry at Gibbs for wanting to forget her so quickly and without even fighting to get her back. Angry at himself for not trying harder when it could have made a difference.

And now, he was angry with Abby. He knew it was in her nature to be understanding, it was one of the things he loved the most about her. But right now, he didn't want her to be understanding. He wanted outrage on his behalf. He wanted her to agree that despite the lies and deceit, she had become part of their family and she deserved better than this. Even if it had been her choice.

Abby left him alone for a few minutes, letting him sort through his emotions as she watched him. "Tony?" She said cautiously, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

He turned around to face her, the anger still sitting just under the surface. It frightened her, but she didn't recoil, wrapping him in a tight hug instead.

"You should give her a chance, Tony. You didn't like the idea of Ziva replacing Kate either, remember?"

"Replacing Kate wasn't Gibbs' choice!" He yelled, pushing her away. "He didn't have control over that! He made the hiring decision with this one. He replaced her. And its obvious now that no one cares but me." Tony turned and grabbed his backpack off the floor, exiting the lab before Abby could respond.

**Four Years Earlier -- May 26, 2005 -- NCIS Headquarters**

Tony stepped off the elevator on the third floor, mumbling to himself as he walked to his desk. "Telling us about rule 12. Ha! He doesn't understand..."

He plopped down in his chair and opened one of his drawers, pulling out a coffee cup with a toothbrush in it. "Didn't even let me get ready properly..." He grumbled. "Should be happy I'm still alive, I guess. Abby is practically like his surrogate daughter...not to mention the fact that he brought Bradley over..." Tony growled at the thought of Abby's brother in his apartment.

"You talk to yourself often?"

Tony spun his chair around at the sound of the lightly accented voice. He took the toothbrush out of his mouth and dropped it back into the coffee cup, offering a smile to the young foreign woman in front of him. "Only when I've had a particularly bad day. Can I help you with something?"

She smirked. "Somehow I do not think I am the one that needs the most help in this room."

Tony frowned. "I'm not having a good morning."

"What seems to be the problem? Other than your apparent case of estranged personality disorder?"

He looked at her strangely before he managed to put the pieces together. "I think you mean split personality disorder." He snorted. "Yeah...of all the problems I'm having today, that's not one of them."

The young woman stepped closer to his desk and leaned over it, grinning lightly. "Ah, I see. Girl problems then, yes?"

"You could say that." Tony leaned his chair back and ran a hand through his hair. "But when you're as good looking as I am, it's to be expected, right?"

She chuckled, pushing away from his desk. "Fine. Do not share your problems with me." She moved across the room and leaned on Kate's desk. "I am looking for Special Agent Gibbs."

"Well, he's unavailable right now. Anything I can help you with?" He asked, a cocky grin on his face.

"No." She stated, moving around the desk and sitting down in Kate's chair. "I will wait."

"Not married?" Tony asked, raising his hand and pointing to his ring finger when she shot him a confused look. "No ring."

"Yes." She shook her head quickly, knowing she had confused the words she intended on using. "I meant no, I am not married. I like having my options open. Many choices."

He nodded in agreement. "So, you're a commitment-phobe too. Good to know I'm not the only one."

"Commitment does not gauze well with my job. Emotional connections are a liability."

"Gauze? I think you mean mesh. Where did you say you're from again?"

"She didn't, DiNozzo." Gibbs stated, walking down the stairs from MTAC with a redheaded woman in tow.

"Ziva David, Mossad. You must be Special Agent Gibbs."

Gibbs nodded at her, turning back to the redhead. "DiNozzo, this is Jenny Shepard, our new Director."

"Anthony DiNozzo. It's a pleasure, Director." His charming smile crossed his face as he shook her hand.

"And you, Agent DiNozzo." Jenny smiled.

"Tony!" Everyone turned their heads toward the elevator, hearing the voice before they saw Abby come barreling into the squad room.

"What is it, Abs?" He asked, standing and grabbing his friend by her slight frame. "Calm down for a second and talk to me." He looked over at Gibbs and the older man nodded, giving Tony permission to take Abby aside and talk to her.

He wrapped his arm around her and walked around the corner, leaving Gibbs to speak to the two women. "What's going on, Abby?"

"Bradley's leaving." She said, pulling out her cell phone. "He sent me a text saying that he's going home."

Tony couldn't help but let out a small chuckle. "Well, he does live in Louisiana, babe. He was gonna go home sometime."

Abby frowned and looked down at the text again. "He never texts me." She said quietly. "He always calls, even if he has to leave a message. He knows I like hearing his voice."

Tony looked at her, confused. "It's just a text, Abby. Not a big deal."

"It's not just a text, Tony. He's too mad to talk to me." She turned away and swiped at the tear that fell from her eye. "He's telling me he doesn't wanna talk to me."

He started to say something but stopped himself, realizing the impact this was having on her. Abby had told him on multiple occasions that not resolving problems with the people you care about was one of the worst things you could do.

Abby sniffled and turned back to face him, tears still in her eyes. "I'm going to the airport. I can't let him leave angry. I'll never forgive myself." She turned and started walking toward the elevator when Tony grabbed her arm.

"You sure that's a good idea, hon?"

"I have to go, Tony. What if something were to happen to him and I didn't get the chance to tell him that I love him? That even though we fight, we're still the only family each other has left?"

Tony sighed heavily and pulled Abby close, hugging her tightly against his chest. He pressed a kiss to the top of her head, stroking her back with his fingers. "Okay, Abs. Want me to drive you?"

She nodded against his chest. "What about Gibbs?"

"I'm sure it'll be fine." He reassured her, leading her back to his desk. He noticed that Ziva was speaking to the Director off to the side of the squad room, leaving Gibbs sitting at his desk reading Ducky's autopsy report.

"Hey, Boss."

Glancing up at the sound of his Senior Field Agent's voice, Gibbs cocked an eyebrow. "DiNozzo," he acknowledged.

"I need to take off for a bit," Tony said boldly, settling his arm around Abby's shoulder. "I won't be gone long," he promised.

Glancing over at his red-eyed Forensic Scientist, Gibbs nodded brusquely as he tossed the sedan keys to his agent. "Make it quick." he ordered as Tony headed for the elevator, Abby in tow.

Slipping passed the new Director and her raven haired companion, Tony stepped onto the elevator, pulling Abby in after him.

**Reagan International Airport -- 30 Minutes Later**

Tony pulled up outside of the airport and shifted the car into park, turning to look at his passenger. "Do you know where he's supposed to be?"

Abby glanced up at him, her eyes still slightly bloodshot from crying. "Yeah. I had McGee look up his flight number for me. His plane leaves in an hour."

He watched her carefully, noticing the slight hesitation before she climbed out of the car. "You sure about this, Abby? Maybe you guys should just let each other calm down, you can call him later."

"Can't." She said simply, walking toward the airport entrance.

"Yeah, I figured." He mumbled, jogging up behind her and wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

They walked together to the gate where Bradley was waiting and Abby broke away from Tony, running over to her brother when she spotted him.

"Bradley!" She called, hugging him tightly when he turned in response to her voice.

"Abby." Bradley said tersely, standing stiffly as she squeezed him. "What are you doing here?" He wrapped his arms around her when she started sobbing lightly against his chest, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. "Come on, Abs. Don't do this."

"I...I can't believe you were gonna leave without saying goodbye to me." She choked out, grasping Bradley's shirt.

He sighed, resting his cheek against the top of her head. "You didn't seem to want anything to do with me."

Abby pulled away from her brother slightly and looked up at him, her cheeks damp from her tears. "How can you say that? You're my big brother!"

"Yeah. Yeah, baby girl...I am." Bradley pulled her back against him, noticing Tony for the first time since Abby had come over to him. He tensed, glaring at the younger man over his sister's shoulder.

The brunette crossed his arms over his chest when he made eye contact with Bradley, a stern look crossing his face. Nothing was said between the two men, Abby's well-being was more important to them than a petty argument.

After a few minutes of holding onto her brother for dear life, the Goth released him, smiling weakly as she wiped the wetness off her cheeks with her sleeve.

"I'm sorry, BB. I didn't mean to make you feel like I didn't..."

Bradley stopped her with a finger pressed against her lips. "Don't, Abby. I gotta go." He saw her frown and chucked her on the chin lightly, making her look up at him. "I love you. Nothing's gonna change that. I understand, okay? I have B and Jack, you have Gibbs, McGee, and Tony."

She didn't miss the pained look that crossed his face at the mention of Tony's name, but she let it slide as she nodded solemnly, hugging him again. "I may have my boys here, but that doesn't mean I don't need my big brother. I love you, BB." She chuckled against his chest. "No more texts, okay? I know I take my hearing for granted, but I need to hear your voice."

Bradley pulled away from his sister when he heard his flight begin boarding. "I gotta go, Abby-cadabby." He whispered, calling her by her childhood nickname. "I'll call you when I get home, okay?"

She nodded, and smiled when Tony appeared at her side. "Have a good flight, BB. Give the munchkin a kiss from his auntie Abby."

"I will." He kissed her forehead and turned to Tony, holding his hand out. "Take care of her, huh? She's all I've got."

Tony nodded, shaking Bradley's hand. "I'd never do anything to hurt her, Bradley. Never." He wrapped his arm around the Goth, pulling her close to him.

Bradley nodded his acknowledgement of what Tony said, waving goodbye to his sister as he walked toward the gate.

The pair stood together and watched as Bradley boarded his plane, Abby raising her hand to sign *I love you* to him before he stepped aboard. Tony kissed the top of her head and turned her away from the gate.

"Let's go back to HQ, hon. We've both got work to do."

**Three Days Later -- May 29, 2009 -- Flight from Indianapolis to DC**

Tony leaned against the window of the small jet that had been lent to them by the director of the FBI, holding Abby as she snuggled against his chest. He smiled down at her closed eyes, enjoying the peaceful look on her face as she napped. Kate's funeral had come and gone, and despite the large amounts of alcohol in their systems, everyone was feeling the after effects of having to say goodbye to their friend.

Gibbs was the only other member of the team awake, considering Abby fell asleep on their way to the airport after the wake, and McGee had crashed out as soon as they boarded. He was sitting across the aisle from Tony reading a file when his Senior Agent spoke up.

"You seemed to know the new Director pretty well, Boss." It was an innocent statement, nothing more than an observation, but it made Gibbs' head snap up as he turned to look at Tony.

Before the older man had an opportunity to formulate a response, Abby stirred against Tony and sat up, rubbing her eyes. "Tony?" She questioned, looking much younger than her 30 years. "Where are we?"

"Somewhere over Tennessee. Go back to sleep, Abs. I'll wake you when we land."

She shook her head and swung her legs out from under her, standing up unsteadily. "I have to use the bathroom."

Tony stood up, steadying her as she swayed sleepily. "Let me help you. I'll be right back, Boss." He lead her with a hand to the small of her back toward the rear of the plane where the bathroom was located. Pausing outside the small bathroom, Tony allowed his hand to linger on the small off her back longer than necessary before he pulled away.

"Hey Abs?"

"Hmm?" She responded sleepily as she turned, glancing up at him.

"Listen, I know this isn't...the best place ever, but I wanted to talk to you...about the other night."

Turning away from him, she bit her lip hard. She had dodged the bullet on this conversation several times already and stupidly she'd assumed he'd forgotten. It was just her rotten luck that he hadn't.

"Abby?" He touched her shoulder gently, making her flinch slightly.

She turned back to face him, a smile on her lips that didn't quite reach her eyes. "Everything's fine, Tony. Better than fine."

The older man cocked an eyebrow at her curiously. "Abs, come on. We've known each other for how long? Almost 6 years?" He sighed. "We need to discuss this or it's gonna tear our friendship apart. I don't wanna lose you. Not over something as silly as one night together."

"We're fine, Tony. I promise. It was just sex. Nothing to get all up in arms about." She lied.

It was one of the reasons she had been avoiding this conversation. She hated lying, but she knew him well enough to know that this was a long time coming. He would want to smooth things over, make sure nothing had changed. And in the meantime, she would have to push her ever-growing feelings for him aside and write them off as collateral damage from being friends for so long.

He frowned slightly. He had expected the brush-off, but he was surprised to find that it hurt him more than he anticipated. Sure, they had been friends for a long time, their bond was stronger than a night spent together after a night of drinking and a friend's death, but the nonchalant tone in her voice felt like a shot to the gut.

"Okay. Well, I'll let you use the bathroom then, I guess." Tony chuckled, turning to walk back to his seat and get comfortable once again.