- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and the team get settled into their mission, and then they have their first encounter with "Cobra".
"All Good Things..."

Chapter 3 (Continued)---

The two jeeps pulled up to a large compound just on the edge of the city.

"This is where you'll be staying while you are here in Iran." Colonel Oveisi said, with a wave of his arm.

The group began to climb out of the jeeps slowly. Ziva tried to step out of the jeep that she and McGee had ridden in; but before she could get over the side one of the officers in the front of the jep pushed her, hard, back inside the jeep.

Ziva landed in McGee's lap.

"Whoa!" McGee cried as Ziva landed on him. "Ouch."

Ziva scowled angrily at the officer who had pushed her down.

"You alright? McGee asked her.

"Yes, I am fine." she said as she pulled herself back up to her feet.

Across from them in the other jeep Tony and Gibbs were climbing out, and saw the commotion in the other jeep.

Tony watched, angrily, as the officer pushed Ziva down, and heard what he said to her, and even though he didn't speak their language--he knew it wasn't anything nice.

Gibbs eyed Tony and shot him a stern "Don't even think about it," look.

"Strike one." Tony said under his breath.

Gibbs nodded at his senior field agent knowingly.

"Right this way please." the Colonel said as he led the way in through the main gates of the compound.




Inside the compound the group looked around and took in their surroundings as they were led into the main foyer. The main foyer of the compound was huge and lavishly decorated with antiques and artifacts of great importance to the Iranians' culture and religion.

"You like?" Colonel Oveisi asked, when he saw their faces.

"Well, it certainly is fancy--that's for sure." Tony remarked.

Colonel Oveisi nodded in agreement as he gave a slight chuckle.

"Amar will show you to your rooms, and then--we eat." the Colonel said, motioning to one of the servants standing nearby.

"Thank you." Gibbs said with a nod.




Finally the team joined Colonel Oveisi at the table in the compound's equally large dining room.

"I trust your rooms were to your liking Mr. Brennan." the Colonel said from his end of the table.

"They'll do." Gibbs said.

Colonel Oveisi raised his fork, which had some kind of unknown foodstuff attached at the end, to his mouth.

"Tell me Mr. Brennan--what approach do you plan to take in these negotiations?"

Gibbs had to think fast. He and McGee had spent several hours of the flight over reading up on Iranian customs and past dealings between the Iranians, the U.S., and the U.N.; but even so he knew he would have to make a lot of it up as he went--wing it if you will.

"With all do respect Colonel, I think that is something is that is best discussed with your President." Gibbs said, swallowing a bit of whatever it was that had been on the end of his own fork.

"I am sorry--forgive me please." the Colonel said, with a blushing smile. "Its just that I have always been a very curious man--and sometimes I guess I let my curiosity run away from me."

Gibbs nodded politely at the Colonel, and then nodded slightly at McGee who sat just a few chairs down from him.

"Oh, uh, we have been discussing a possible compromise between our two parties," McGee piped up at Gibbs' signal. "Instead total disarmament--maybe we could settle over mutual arms regulation."

McGee sat, apprehensively, hoping and praying that they would buy whatever that was that had just come out of his mouth.

The Colonel sat quietly obviously in deep thought staring down at his breakfast plate. He finally looked up at Gibbs with a smile.

"I am most impressed Mr. Brennan," the Colonel said. "You maybe the first outsider to offer such an exquisite deal."

Gibbs smiled politely, and gave a slight bow of his head towards the Colonel.

"I appreciate your kindness, Colonel."

"Mr. Brennan, I believe no, more than ever, that these negotiations will be quite successful." the Colonel continued. "And I am sure that President Ahmadinejad will be as impressed as I."

"Speaking of which, when does your *President* get here?" Tony asked, between bites of what he wasn't sure.

"Well yes, President Ahmadinejad, is currently away at the moment, but he is expected to return sometime this evening." the Colonel informed them.

"Well I hope that the President won't rush back on our account." Gibbs replied.

"You are most kind, Mr. Brennan." the Colonel replied, with a smile.

Colonel Oveisi stuffed another bite of food into his mouth, chewed it, and then swallowed.

"What would you say to a tour of the grounds?" the Colonel asked.

Gibbs swallowed a bit of food before answering.

"Love to," he replied plainly.

"Splendid," the Colonel said. "Though I will have to ask you to leave your *company* behind."

Gibbs chuckled slightly as he laid his fork down on his plate.

"With all do respect, Colonel, Carlo is my bodyguard so I must insist that he join us." Gibbs said calmly. "After all I would feel much safer."

The Colonel considered Gibbs' request thoughtfully for a few moments, and then spoke.

"Very well, Mr. Cautelare may join us--but the others, I'm afraid, must stay behind."

"Fair enough," Gibbs said, bowing his head slightly to the Colonel.




"Kinda burying yourself in the part aren't ya boss," Tony remarked with a grin, as the group entered Gibbs and Tony's room after breakfast was finished.

Gibbs reached out and whacked Tony, hard, on the back of the head as he walked by.

"Ow! Right--sorry boss." Tony said, rubbing the new sore spot on the back of his head.

"I do not think this is a good idea." Ziva pointed out, referring to Gibbs' agreement with the Colonel.

"I'll be fine." Gibbs replied.

McGee was the last one into the room so he had to close the door behind them.

"Beside," Tony added. "I'll be with him the whole time."

"I'm sure that's very reassuring Tony." McGee remarked.

Ziva tried to stifle another chuckle as Tony shot a dirty look at McGee across the room.

"Besides this'll be as good an opportunity as any to try and find out where they're hiding our satellite." Tony added. "Right boss."

Gibbs grinned as he gave a slight nod.

"Well McGee and I can not just sit here and do nothing." Ziva said in protest.

"Then don't," Gibbs said. "I'm sure there are plenty of electronic gizmos all around this place."

McGee turned to face Gibbs.

"Wait, you want me to ha-" he started to say, but then he caught Gibbs' stare.

"Oh, uh right--gotcha." he said.

Gibbs nodded.

Ziva shook her head. She knew that she would never win this argument--ever.

Gibbs waved his hand at his team, and dismissed them away to their respective rooms as he reached for his suitcase which was setting on his bed.

Gibbs unzipped the side pocket of his suitcase and withdrew the framed photograph of his family that he had brought with him.

---------DREAM-LIKE SEQUENCE---------

Wearing his uniform and cover Gibbs stood outside of his house loading the rest of his stuff up into the truck that would take him and a few other guys to the airport.

The sliding glass door to the house slid open and a young girl, about 8 years of age, ran outside in search of her father.

"Daddy! Daddy!" Kelly yelped as she ran around the corner of the truck.

"Kelly." Gibbs said, as he squatted down to his daughter's level.

The young girl threw her arms around her father's neck and held on for dear life.

"Daddy don't go," she pleaded with her father.

Gibbs hugged his daughter.

"Sweetheart, you know I have to go." Gibbs said softly.

"No, don't go--stay." she begged him, locking eyes with her father.

Shannon stepped outside at that moment and watched them from a distance.

"I don't want you to go again," she said. "Stay."

Gibbs looked up at his wife, his eyes begging for help.

Shannon walked over to where her husband and daughter were crouched down.

"Kelly, sweetie--Daddy has to go now." Shannon said softly.

"No." the young girl countered, holding tightly to her father's neck.

"Hey Gunney, we gotta go!" one of the other soldiers on the truck yelled out at Gibbs.

Shannon stood up and looked across at the soldier.

"He's comin'!" she shouted back. "Just give us a minute, okay!"

Gibbs hugged his daughter tightly once more and whispered into her ear.

"This is the last time--I promise." he whispered softly. "I'll be back before you know it."

---------END OF DREAM-LIKE SEQUENCE---------

That one line echoed through his Gibbs' mind continuously.

"Last time...last time...last time..."

"Boss--boss you alright?" Tony's voice broke through.

"Hunh, wha-" Gibbs stammered, as he snapped out of his trance and came back to reality.

He shook his head to clear it as he realized where he was again.

"Are you alright?" Tony asked.

Gibbs wiped a lone tear from his cheek with the back of his hand, as he stuffed the framed photograph back into his suitcase and zipped it back up.

He turned around and checked his watch.

"Damn. Forgot to reset this thing for the time zone difference." Gibbs muttered to himself. "Better." he added, as he corrected the problem.

"Boss," Tony said sitting up on the bed.

"Hunh?" Gibbs said suddenly, looking oveer at the younger man.

"You alright?" Tony repeated his question from earlier.

"Yeah. Yeah fine." he said, after a brief pause.

Tap! Tap! Tap! Came the knock at the door in three short raps.

Tony automatically jumped off of the bed and straightened himself up, once again resuming his bodyguard persona.

Gibbs looked across at the younger man who nodded back that he was ready.

Gibbs crossed the floor and grasped the door knob, drawing in a deep breath and letting it back out again before he opened the door.

"Sorry about that Colonel," Gibbs said apologetically. "I was just using the head."

The Colonel smiled politely at Gibbs.

"No apologies necessary Mr. Brennan," the Colonel said.

Gibbs noticed that there was a young woman standing next to the Colonel. She was of average height and build, and had long, curly black hair and fair skin. She too wore a military uniform, but was obviously of a lower rank than the Colonel. She was, for an Iranian, attractive.

"And uh, who might this be?" Gibbs asked, nodding towards the young woman.

"Oh yes, Mr. Brennan I would like you to meet Lieutenant Goli," the Colonel said, introducing the young woman.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Brennan." the young lieutenant said, with a slight bow of her head.

"Likewise, I'm sure." Gibbs replied with a smile.

"Lieutenant Goli will be joining us on our little excursion." the Colonel informed Gibbs.

"I trust that you are ready for our tour." the Colonel said.

"Absolutely." Gibbs replied, with a wave of his hand to indicate 'after you'.

Gibbs looke across the room at Tony, and nodded.

"Carlo. Venire." Gibbs said, in Italian.

Tony nodded slightly at his boss, and then moved across the room to follow them.

Gibbs, Tony, and McGee had taken a crash course in Italian during the plane ride over using the 'English-To-Italian' Dictionary that had come with Tony's disguise.




Together Gibbs, Tony, the Colonel, and the Lieutenant made their way around the inside and the outside of the compound.

They eventually found themselves standing out on a balcony on the compound's third floor. The balcony gave them a beautiful view of the compound's main courtyard as well as a spectacular view of the city's sky-line.

"Its beautiful." Gibbs remarked, forcing a smile.

"Isn't it?" the Colonel said in agreement with him.

"Sometimes I wish the rest of the world could see it the way we do," Lieutenant Goli added.

The Colonel nodded at her.

In the center of the courtyard Gibbs noticed a medium-sized metal building erected there.

At Gibbs' side, as always, Tony stood in a way that he believed made him look super-tough. From where he stood it was hard to miss the constant looks and signals that the young Lieutenant was continuously throwing at him. He had smiled back a couple of time, but in way that was supposed to be no more than friendly.

"What's that?" Gibbs asked, pointing to the metal building.

"That. Oh, that is where the President keeps his most prized treasures." the Colonel explained.

"Doesn't look all that safe to me." Gibbs remarked, his eyes fixed upon the metal building.

"Well, Mr. Brennan, I assure you it is protected with the finest security system in the world." the Colonel reassured him.

"Wish I'd thought of that." Gibbs said, with a grin, looking up at the Colonel. "Would certainly keep those vandals back home away from my house."

The Colonel laughed.

"Well perhaps when you return home, you will be able to use some of the knowledge that you gain here to better your own life." the Colonel remarked, with a chuckle.

"That's not a bad idea Colonel." Gibbs said.

The Colonel straightened up and looked at Gibbs.

"Well, now that you have seen our humble palace of sorts," the Colonel said. "How about a tour of the city?"

Gibbs nodded, forcing another smile.




Chapter 4---

The Colonel's jeep rolled down the crowded streets of Tehran.

Many of the people of the streets were vendors selling their goods and wares to anyone who would stop to look.

Suddenly their was a loud popping sound and the jeep spun out of control and crashed into a nearby vendors' stand.

Everyone emerged from the accident unscathed, but as for the jeep though, it now had a flat tire.

"My apologies Mr. Brennan," the Colonel said, bowing his head slightly to Gibbs.

"I assure you this will not take long at all to repair."

"Take your time." Gibbs said with a smile. "This'll give me time to do a little browsing."

"Very well." the Colonel said with a nod.

Gibbs and Tony turned away and started down the street inspecting the different vendors and their wares.

At the end of the street Gibbs and Tony were approached by a man who seemed hell bent on selling them something.

"No thank you," Gibbs said, with a wave of his hand.

"Oh but you must, you must." the vendor continued to press him.

"He said No Thanks," Tony said stepping up between Gibbs and the man.

"But you do not understand, good sirs, it is a gift," the vendor said,, in a low voice, leaning close to them.

"A gift?" Tony repeated in a puzzled voice.

"Yes, good sirs, compliments of the *Cobra*." he added, in the same low voice.

Gibbs and Tony exchanged a somewhat surprised look.

Gibbs stepped forward, in front of Tony, and nodded to the man.

"Alright, I'm interested." Gibbs said, quietly.

The man turned and reached into his cart and pulled out a fruit of some kind and handed it to Gibbs.

"Here. Try." he said, offering Gibbs the fruit.

Gibbs examined it in his hands carefully, and then bit into the luscious fruit. After he had swallowed a bite he nodded with a smile, and the man nodded back flashing a happy smile.

"Here then, good sirs, you must take some with you." the man said pulling a medium-sized crate of fruit from his cart.

Gibbs accepted the crate looking it over once and then twice.

The man nodded at Gibbs and then patted the crate with one hand, and then he returned to selling his wares to other passersby.

Later when the jeep was finally fixed and it was time to return to the compound. The Colonel noticed the crate that Gibbs had brought back with him.

"I see you made a purchase while in town." the Colonel said, as he jeep bumped and rattled along on its journey back to the compound.

Gibbs nodded back at the Colonel.

"What can I say I was hooked from the first bite," Gibbs replied.

"Ah, you are obviously a man of excellent taste, Mr. Brennan." the Colonel said, with a chuckle.

"You could say that," Gibbs replied. "Can't wait for the wife to try them back home."

The Colonel just laughed.




Back at the compound Gibbs and Tony carried the crate back up to their room where Ziva and McGee were waiting for them.

"You're back," McGee said, jumping up from the chair against the far wall.

"How was it?" Ziva chimed in, sliding off of the bed.

Gibbs didn't say a word. He set the crate down on the bed, and then headed for the bathroom. The team heard the shower being turned on full power, and then Gibbs re-entered the room.

"What was that all about?" Ziva asked, as Gibbs approached the bed once more.

"They might be listening in," he replied, in a low voice. "Can't take any chances."

Gibbs removed the lid from the crate and began to remove the fruit until he reached the bottom of the crate. At the bottom he found a secret compartment in which was hidden a small map, a laptop computer, and a letter sealed inside of a manilla envelope.

"Where did you guys get this stuff?" McGee said, as he took the laptop from Gibbs.

"From *Cobra*," Tony informed them, quietly.

"You saw Cobra?" Ziva asked, shocked, her eyes wide with surprised.

"Maybe." Gibbs said.

McGee sat back down in the chair against the wall and switched on the laptop.

"We think we know where they're hiding our satellite too." Tony informed Ziva.

"Where? Is it close?" she asked quickly.

"Closer than you think." he replied, with a grin.

Gibbs stowed the last of the fruit back in the crate that it came in.

"In the main courtyard there's a metal building," Tony started. "Its got heavy security protecting it though."

"Gibbs, this could be a trap." Ziva said. "We don't know if this stuff really came from *Cobra* or not."

"Agreed." Gibbs said, quietly. "But what other choice do we have."

"Um, Guys," McGee said, as he stood and strolled over to the bed, laptop in hand. "Did that metal building look something like this?"

McGee turned the laptop around so that the rest of the team could see what was on the screen.

On the computer's screen was displayed the blueprints and a photo of the metal building in the courtyard.

"Yeah, that's it--but how did you find it so quickly?" Tony asked.

"I didn't," McGee said. "There was a link on the desktop labeled 'Pegasus'." McGee explained. "I just clicked it, and this is what I found. It's even got a set of schematics for the building's security system."

"That mean you can get it?" Gibbs asked, looking up at McGee.

"Um, maybe, I need to study these blueprints for a few hours and see what they tell me." he said as he walked back to the chair and sat down.

Gibbs picked up the manilla envelope and opened it up. Inside was a note from *Cobra*. Gibbs proceeded to read it aloud.

---------COBRA'S VOICE---------

*"Your mission will not be an easy one. By now you have discovered the satellite's location via the link on the laptop. The security system guarding it is very advanced, and it will require teamwork to retrieve it successfully. Everyone has a part to play--be prepared...success comes with a heavy toll. Destroy this message--We Will Be In Touch..."*

---------END OF COBRA'S VOICE---------

"Something tells me this *Cobra* guy doesn't think very highly of us." Tony pointed out, in an unimpressed tone.

"For once we agree." McGee said.

"I do not like this Gibbs." Ziva said, shaking her head.

"Makes two of us." Gibbs said in a low voice.

Gibbs looked up at the wall on the far side of the bed, and held his gaze there for what seemed like forever--his eyes glazed over. There was that feeling again, that feeling in his gut that told him this mission wasn't going to end well.

He shook his head as he rubbed his eyes.

"Jethro," a sweet voice cut into his thoughts abruptly.

Gibbs was so startled by the familiar voice in his head that he tears began to burn behind his eyes--and for half a second he believed it was real.

"Shannon," he breathed.

"Boss?" Tony asked.

Gibbs blinked several times, and then shook his head once more to clear his thoughts.

"Sorry--its-its nothing." he said, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand.

Ziva grabbed Tony by the arm, abruptly, and pulled him away so they could speak privately.

"Ziva, what gives!?" Tony said out of protest.

"Lower your voice!?" Ziva hissed, angrily.

"Fine."

"Sorry," she added.

"What is it?" Tony asked, noticing the worried look in his partner's eyes.

Ziva bit down on her lip.

"I am worried about Gibbs," she whispered quietly.

"Why?" Tony asked.

"He has not been acting like himself."

"Well, maybe its just the stress of the mission getting to him." Tony offered.

"No, I do not think so," Ziva replied, looking into her partner's eyes.

"I mean--that may be part of it, but I think there is more to it." she told him decidedly.

Tony stared at his partner silently pondering the situation to himself for a few minutes. Behind them the sounds of Gibbs moving around audible.

"What're you thinkin'?" Tony asked finally, in a low voice.

"That photograph he brought with him," she pointed out, nodding in Gibbs' direction. "I have seen him looking at it more than once."

"Yeah, I know the one." Tony replied, glancing up at his boss and then back at Ziva. "It was taken just before he left for *Desert Storm*," Tony informed her, lowering his voice even more. "Its of him, Shannon, and Kelly at the park--on a picnic with some of the other Marines' families."

Ziva nodded at her partner knowingly.

"And you heard what Gibbs said," Ziva pressed.

"Yeah, he said *Shannon*." Tony replied slowly, realizing Ziva's point.

The two of them talked a few minutes longer and then Tony ended the conversation as Gibbs stalked towards them.

"We'll just have to keep our eyes on him." Tony said quickly, before Gibbs got too close to them.

Ziva nodded in agreement at her partner.





It was in the evening when the Iranian President finally arrived at the compound. Colonel Oveisi informed Gibbs and the others of his arrival and invited them all downstairs to meet him.

The 4 of them stood in the main foyer as the President entered through a side entrance.

"It is a great honor to meet you Mr. President." Gibbs said, forcing a smile, as he shook the man's hand.

"Colonel Oveisi has told me much about you Mr. Brennan," the President said, his accent quite thick. "I look forward to our negotiations greatly."

Gibbs gave a slight smile.

Tony noticed as he stood next to his boss, trying his best to look tough, that the President kept eyeing Ziva suspiciously, and he did not like it.

"Regretfully, I am most tired," the President said, apologetically. "Travel tends to drain one in these parts."

Gibbs nodded in aqreement.

"And so I think maybe we shall both be better able to perform after a good night's sleep." the President said, with a smile that Gibbs could tell wasn't real.

"Agreed."

They talked a while longer and Tony, Ziva, and McGee pretended that they were listening to every word. After a little while had passed, though, Gibbs shook hands with the President once more, and then he and his team were dismissed to their rooms.






Chapter 5---

Gibbs and his team sat in his room discussing their thoughts on the day.

"Sure wish we could talk to Vance." Tony remarked. "I don't know about you guys, but I don't like being in the dark like this."

Gibbs nodded, and the others agreed as well.

"Did any of you guys notice the way the President was looking at Ziva earlier?" McGee asked.

"Yeah I did." Tony replied coldly. "And I didn't like it."

"Tony relax," Ziva said, rolling her eyes. "You are both being paranoid."

Suddenly there came a knock at the door. Tap! Tap! Tap!

Gibbs strolled over to the door and opened it gingerly.

"Can I help you?" he asked the Iranian guard standing outside his door.

The Iranian guard pushed his way into the room, and Tony automatically assumed a ready-to-brawl attitude.

"Our President requests the presence of Ms. Gavish." the guard spoke harshly.

"On what grounds?" Gibbs asked calmly.

The guard spun to face Gibbs immediately.

"If force is required then I will do what I must." the guard said coldly.

There was a moment of silence before anyone in the room spoke up.

"Alright, if I must go," Ziva started, standing straight. "Then I will go quietly."

She shot Gibbs a sideways glance as she moved slowly in the guards' direction. Gibbs nodded at the Mossad officer as she walked past him.

As soon as the door to their room had closed behind Ziva and the Iranian guard--Gibbs, Tony, and McGee all looked at each other. (Gibbs and McGee had been standing already, but Tony was sitting on the sofa-like piece of furniture nearby.)

"Boss you can't-" McGee started to say in protest as he stepped forward.

Without looking Gibbs clapped his hand hard over McGee's mouth to silence him. Gibbs looked at Tony and motioned with his head in the direction of the bathroom. Tony nodded at his boss acknowledging that he knew what Gibbs meant.

As soon as Gibbs heard the shower in the bathroom come on at full power he released McGee's mouth.

"We can't just let them *take* Ziva!" McGee said in protest. "They'll kill her if they find out she's Mossad!"

"I know." Gibbs said plainly.

"Then why-" McGee started to say.

"Because Vance said he couldn't tell us all the details of the mission--remember." Gibbs countered, spinning on his heel to face the young agent.

McGee looked utterly confused and bewildered by Gibbs' statement--at first at least.

"You mean Vance knew this would happen?" McGee said, shocked.

Tony re-entered the main living area of their room at that moment.

"Well someone obviously did." Tony remarked.

Gibbs just nodded at his senior field agent.

"What're you thinkin' boss?" Tony asked, seeing the look that Gibbs had in his eyes.

Gibbs ran a hand through his silvery hair as his brain processed his thoughts for him at near warp speed.

"A diversion." he said suddenly, in a low voice.

"Hunh?" came Tony's reply.

"Come again?" McGee said.

Gibbs turned to his two remaining agents.

"That's her part." Gibbs explained. "Cobra's Letter," he pointed out. "It said we all had a part to play--Ziva's part is the diversion."

"Damn!" Tony said suddenly.

"Well this is just great." McGee said, rolling his eyes, as he turned around and drew in a deep breath of air as the new information that he had just received was processed through his mind/brain.

"What about the rest of us!?" McGee said, almost hysterically, as he spun back around to face Tony and Gibbs.

"We already know your part." Tony pointed out. "Remember you're supposed to retrieve the data from the satellite's black box."

McGee rolled his eyes again.

"That just leaves-" Tony began.

"You and me," Gibbs finished, looking up at Tony, as he let out a sigh.

Gibbs sat with his thoughts, silently, for a few moments before speaking again.

"McGee," he said, spinning on his heel. "Get anything useful off that thing?" Gibbs asked, pointing to the laptop sitting up under the room's single chair.

McGee scramble to pull out the computer and power it up for his boss. After a minute or two had passed he turned it so that Gibbs and Tony could see the screen.

"This," he said pointing to the screen. "Is a diagram of the security systems' main interface." he explained. "According to the schematics the only was to get passed it is to use a key--more specifically a Key-Card."

"And where does one go about getting one of these cards, McGoo?" Tony asked humourusly. "I mean take a good look around--no Radio Shacks out here."

"Very funny Tony." McGee replied sarcastically.




Ziva couldn't tell where she was, only that she'd been blindfolded with a black bag of some sort thrown over her head. She'd also been tied to the chair in which she was currently sitting.

She studied her surroundings for a moment taking everything in. The room was dark and dank, and it had a musty smell to it. There was hardly any light in the room at all so she could not determine how long she'd been there, or what time it was at present; but best guess she'd been sitting there for at least 2 to 3 hours.

"Hello!?" she tried, but got only her echo in reply. "Anyone there!?" again, the same result.

She tried pulling at her bonds, but they held hard and fast. Who ever had tied the knots was good at it--no doubts there.

"Try not to struggle to much," a voice said through the dark room.

"I can assure you that escape from here is next to impossible--so resisting would be futile."

Ziva blinked several times letting her eyes adjust to the ever so dim room once the blindfold was removed. The room that she was in reminded her somewhat of the dungeons she read about in American children's stories.

"Where am I?" she demanded.

Lieutenant Goli stepped from the shadows making herself visible to Ziva.

"Lieutenant. What a surprise." Ziva remarked, an air of sarcasm in her voice.

The lieutenant laughed at her prisoner.

"Why am I here?" Ziva demanded, coldly.

"Because you are a Jew, yes?"

"And if I am?" Ziva questioned.

The lieutenant smiled as she stepped closer to Ziva.

"You work for Mossad. Do you not Ms. David?"

Ziva realized she'd been found out, how she did not know. She kept her mouth shut, and her gazed fixed upon the far wall.

"It is okay, you do not have to say anything--right now anyway." the Lieutenant explained. "But in due time, I assure you--you will."

"Highly unlikely." Ziva thought to herself.




The next morning went just as the Iranian President had said it would. First there was breakfast--at which no one said anything about Gibbs' missing team member--and then a stroll around the compound to losen things up, followed by the start of negotiations in the conference room.

Gibbs asked Tony to stand guard outside the conference room, and the President did the same with Lieutenant Goli. The Colonel was away overseeing the resupplying of the compound.

"What?" Tony asked nervously, of the Lieutenant who was eyeing him the same as she had before. "Is there something in my teeth?" tony asked, rubbing a finger along the front of his teeth.

"No," she replied. "They are perfect."

"Well gee, thanks."

The Lieutenant strolled over and stood directly in front of Tony.

"You are Italian--yes?"

"Well actually yes. I am." he replied, nervously, as the Lieutenant got closer.

"You know I have always found Italian men to be-" she stopped short, licking her lips in Tony's face. "Most desirable."

"R-really?" Tony answered, swallowing a hard lump in his throat.

Without warning the Lieutenant plunged her tongue into Tony's mouth, and Tony was helpless to stop her.



Down in the dungeon-like room Ziva still sat bound to her chair while a bigger, muscular man tried to persuade her to talk.

His large hand came down hard against the side of her face.

"Ugh!" Ziva groaned at the sharp pain that shot through her entire body.

"Talk!" the man demanded, angrily, sweat pouring from his face.

"N-never." Ziva panted, her head lowered from exhaustion.

"You will talk Jew!" the big man barked angrily in Ziva's face.

"Bite me!" she hissed back.

"Ah!" the man yelled as he struck Ziva again, harder.

"Mossad is trying to assassinate our beloved President. Why!?" he yelled at her.

Ziva remained quiet. She was bound and determined that this mission would go undetered in anyway. Let the Iranians think what they wanted of her--it did not matter. Not to her anyway.




When Gibbs, Tony, and McGee returned to their room(s) Tony was the first to speak up.

"Boss. I think I may have a way of getting us into the building where they're hiding the satellite." Tony informed Gibbs, as plopped down onto the bed.

"And?" Gibbs asked, ready for Tony to get to the point.

.........To Be Continued.........
Chapter End Notes:
Here's just a few interesting little tidbits that I thought I would share with you guys (well I thought that they were cool anyway).

First -- The last name of Tony's undercover identity, "Cautelare", is Italian for "Protect".

Second -- Ziva's undercover identity's first name, Aleana, means "Immigrant to a new home," in Israeli.

Thirdly -- The Iranian Colonel's first name is/was also the name of a hero in Persian folklore.