- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
With their decisions made,the self-made Gibbs-Mallard family start tying up their loose ends.
Part 2

Driving sedately, Lee followed along behind Don and his vintage unit as he turned onto the road of Don’s neighborhood. Car hounds. They were a family of car hounds. Shaking his head, he secured the parking brake and got out. The howls and barks of the pack of corgi were perfectly discernible from the yard. And they weren’t happy. They hadn’t had a case, so they’d been spending their time at Donald’s. They’d move them back to his place when a case hit. It was closer and Lee’s neighbor’s son didn’t mind tending the dogs after school for a few bucks. It worked for them, the switch between the two houses. His during cases and Don’s during downtime. But now"

A hand on his elbow and the call of his name broke through his thoughts. “Leroy?”

“Fine, Donald. Just thinking we’re gonna have a lot of downtime soon.”

“And where we spend it doesn’t have to be decided tonight, this week, or even this month, but the dogs do have to be tended, mi amant.” Tucking his arm through Lee’s, Don got them both up the stairs and braced for the confrontation with their welcoming committee. Shouting over the resulting whines, snarls, and barks that greeted their steps through the door, Donald waved towards the back. “Corral them outside with that stick you lot love and I’ll fix their bowls.”

Giving a mock salute, Lee stole a quick kiss before stalking to the back door, the exuberant corgis following along like a trail of ducklings.

Humming softly to himself, Ducky pulled down the cans of wet food from their cupboard and carefully measured the same amount into each bowl. Capping the extra half of a can, he tucked it in the fridge for the morning's treat. Slipping the child lock that kept the rollaway bin secure and the dry food safe, he gave each dog its cup and re-locked the bins. "And now for our dinner."

Leaving the bowls on the cabinet for Jethro as the Alpha dog to dish out, Ducky turned his attention to the refrigerator. Tonight was a night for comfort food. Poking through the bins, he pulled out some thick sliced ham, real butter, mayo, tomatoes, and imported British sharp cheddar. Tossing the lot on the counter, he pulled their loaf from the bread box and separated out six pieces. A sandwich and a half for each of them should do for their dinner . Buttering one side of each slice, he flipped them over and slathered on the mayo.

A skillet clattered onto the stove as a hand curled around his waist, startling him into dropping the butter knife mid-stroke. "Lee!"

"Yes?" The marine whispered while nipping at one ear.

"What have I told you about the kitchen?" Don ducked his head, hiding his smile. The reprimand would be useless if his lover saw it.

Laughing softly, Leroy flipped the stove on and set the pan to heat. "It's for eating, not playing."

"Correct." Leaning back against the sturdy frame behind him, the doctor turned his attention back to the bread. Three more slices needed mayo.

"Suppose it's a good thing I find your ear tasty." Lee pressed a brief kiss to the tip before moving on to the jaw. "And this." Another kiss, so soft as to be barely there.

Don's eyes closed as Lee's face came into view and he moved in for a kiss.

"And especially here." Blue eyes glinting mischievously, Lee stopped just before their lips touched, letting his breath caress the soft flesh. He smirked before shifting Don's weight into a better hold. "I believe you need this." He tapped the waiting lips with the edge of the clean butter knife and then held it out at eye level, waiting.

Scowling Don snatched it from his partner while letting the subsequent laughter roll through him. Leroy rather reminded him of a purring cat when he was like this. And for some reason the kitchen brought it out more than any other room in the house. Passing two completed sandwiches back, he moved onto the last while listening to the sizzle of the butter as Lee placed them in the hot pan. He reveled in the contented rumbles of a satisfied mate.

*~*~*

Settled in his corner of the couch, Jimmy joined Abby in staring down Tony as he sat hunched in the opposite corner of the couch. They had sodas. They'd opened their Three Musketeers’ bars and he still wasn't talking.

With a huff, Abby tossed her silver wrapper at Tony from her perch on the old, blue-clothed lounger. It totally missed, but at least he looked up. Nodding, she crossed her arms and glared at him. "All right, mister. That's it. Start talking."

"Don't need to." Reaching into a pocket Tony held out the recorder Gibbs had left behind. Pulling out the headphones, he pushed play and waited.

“How could he!” Abby burst out when the discussion ended. “Donald didn’t cause any of that! That...that bitch did!” Leaping from her chair, she stalked back and forth in front of the coffee table, hands shaking as she emphasized her points and mocked Vance’s reasoning skills. Finally, she stopped while wrapping her arms around herself in a hug and sniffling slightly.

Pushing himself out of his own relaxed position on the couch, Jimmy walked over and pulled her into a hug before tugging lightly on one of the ever-present pigtails. A wet giggle answered him and together they sidled over to the couch and sat down with Abby taking the seat between him and Tony.

“Here, sis.” Raising his arm, Tony let Abby curl up against him and use his shoulder as a pillow. Watching the pair with a soft smile, Jimmy cast a glance at the silent recorder. None of this had needed to happen, but it had. And now they all had to deal with it. “So what’s the plan?”

“Huh?” Tony turned his attention away from Abby’s quiet grumbles about the stupidity of the administration and its politics.

Sighing, Jimmy scowled at him. “The plan. Tony. The facts. You met with Donald and Jethro. You know what’s going on.”

Abby dug a sharp elbow into Tony’s side. “Yeah, so spill. We and the others can’t do anything till we know what’s going on.”

Tugging a pigtail in retaliation, Tony smiled sadly. “There’s nothing for us or Ziva and McGee to do. Donald’s retiring. And Jethro plans to go with him.”

Abby jerked up, shouting, “They’re leaving! But they can’t leave! They can’t, Tony, Jimmy! They’re family and if they leave what’ll we do? Who's going to glare at Jimmy's boyfriends and keep watch on you and there’d be no family and team dinners and when I have nightmares about that no good loser I wouldn’t be able to sneak in and snuggle on the couch with the corgis! And Jethro won’t whisper ‘wake up, our darling little girl’ and make sure I can get to the table without tripping so I can eat the pancakes Donald made me! And...and...”

Jimmy clapped a hand over her mouth to silence her and shared an amused smile over her head with Tony, both of them trying not to laugh. "Abby, let him finish. We don't have the whole story. An hour meeting with Jethro and Donald isn't told that quickly, all right?"

“Jimmy's right. They’re leaving NCIS, not DC, and certainly not us. Okay? Can I finish now?” Tony met the anxious gaze of one of his closest friends. He snuck a quick look at Jimmy and amended that: the anxious gazes of both of his closest friends.

At the sharp, jerky nod, Jimmy removed his hand and tried to duck away from her return fist. He failed. "Abby! What was that for?"

"For laughing at me. I know you were."

"Maybe a little." Rubbing his shoulder, Jimmy pointed at Tony. "He was too."

Scrambling away from the incoming fist, Tony yelped as he tipped off the couch and hit the carpet. Abby and Jimmy just stared at the scowling figure before collapsing against each other as they laughed.

"Ha. Ha. Ha." Levering himself up off the floor, Tony grabbed the scarred wooden edge of the coffee table and leaned back against it so he was watching his comedic companions. "You two done?"

"Sure, Tony."

"Yep!"

"Gibbs and Ducky are retiring as our bosses, not our family. We're keeping Jethro and Donald. They have to have someone to boss around, nosy busybodies that they are." All three laughed at that. The two of them did have the tendency of wanting to know everything past, present, and future about their people's lives. It didn't mean that they always got that, but it came pretty close at times.

Relaxing back against the coffee table, Tony continued. "Jethro wants his time with Donald. He's tired of Vance's games, so he's removing himself from the board." Taking a deep breath, Tony stared at the two in front of him. They needed to know the rest of it. All of it. "And so am I. I'm taking up Fornell on his offer of a job. I'm not expendable and I refuse to put myself in a position where I could be made so."

Peering down at him, Abby pursed her lips. Jimmy just watched calmly, nodding. "And you'll be staying here."

"Since it's where Fornell is, yeah. I wouldn't do too good with leaving. We all know that." Tony shrugged lightly before turning his attention to the far wall. And this was just the beginning.

Prodding him with her foot, Abby asked the one question that mattered most in the scheme of things. "And you'll be okay there without us?"

"Between having you all outside that..." The senior field agent took a deep breath. She'd never said it would be this difficult. Telling Jethro and Donald had been easy compared to this. But it shouldn't be hard. They wouldn't care about the therapy...just the fact that he'd kept it secret. He huffed exasperatedly. That was what made it difficult. He'd kept it secret. And there'd been no need. "And my therapist, I'll be fine. May even have a new relationship to tell you about soon."

"You decided to go then?"

Staring at the smiling face of one Jimmy Palmer, Tony gaped. "You? You're the one who left those pamphlets in my mailbox?"

Shrugging, Jimmy rubbed at the back of his neck. "Abby did the research. I just collected them from the appropriate offices and made sure you got them."

Patting Jimmy on the shoulder, Abby offered him a bright smile before turning to Tony. "Actually, he came up with the idea."

Ducking his head, Tony offered the pair a fond smile. "Thanks. Both of you. Guess this means you'll both be coming to the family group session she wants to host?"

"You're welcome and of course."

"I'll be there with bells on."

Tony snorted. "You would to."

"Yep. Now spill. Who is this she? Your date, I mean." Hands clapped together, Abby bounced on the plush cushions as she waited for his answer.

"He actually. And I'm not telling yet."

"Tony!"

"Finally decided to do something besides eye up my dates, then?"

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." Tony grinned. "He's hot though. And he likes Italian."

Sticking her tongue out, Abby shook a finger at him. "That was horrible."

"I agree. But Tony's dating aside, what's the plan?"

Eyebrow raised, Tony gave his attention to Jimmy. "What plan? There's nothing we can do to change this."

Sighing, Jimmy shook his head at the lack of sense in them both. Sometimes they totally missed it. "Not that. The party. Their retirement party."

"Shit. We've gotta set one up don't we?" Tony ran a hand through his hair. "Without them knowing."

"Yep! This'll be fun. We just have to figure out where to do it." Fingers fiddling with the tail end of one of her pigtails, Abby looked between Jimmy and Tony. Finally Jimmy jerked his hand, almost raising it but not quite.

"We can have it at one of their places. We all have keys. And they're only there when there isn't a case. It'll all depend on when Jethro retires. If he's caught in a case..." he trailed off.

Tony picked it up. "Then he'll stay on until it’s finished and they'll be at Jethro's."

Bobbing her head up and down, Abby chimed in. "And we can set up at Donald's. And if there is no case then they'll be at Donald's and we can use Jethro's house. We could decorate the boat!"

"Nothing permanent, Abby!" both men shouted. Looking from Abby's pouting face to each other, both shrugged and chuckled. She'd never change.

"All right. Nothing permanent." She tapped at her lower lip for a moment. "We forgot."

"Forgot what? We've covered it all," corrected Tony.

"Nuh uh, Tony. Who's telling Tim and Ziva?"

Jimmy looked at Abby and she looked at him before both turned back to Tony, fingers pointing at him, giving him his sentence.

Hands held out in front of him, Tony shook his head emphatically, a frown twisting his features. "Hey, no. Senior agent or not. This is Jethro's business."

Peering at him, Abby pursed her lips. She opened her mouth as if to speak, but then turned to Jimmy. He shrugged then nodded, agreeing to take over. "And that's the reason. Not the issues you three currently have?"

"And are currently going to keep." Gritting his teeth, the brunet agent pushed up off the coffee table and stood. "Look. If Jethro doesn't tell them, I'll step in and give them the situation. But if you want them involved in the party, then I suggest one of you ask because I'll get nothing from them."

Nodding, Jimmy turned to Abby and saw her doing the same. "All right. We'll take care of that part then." He raised an eyebrow at the still tense form of his best friend. "Gonna get back on the couch since you're already up?"

"Yeah, Tony." Abby patted the spot next to her. "Sit back down so Jimmy can put the movie on."

"Fine." Huffing slightly, Tony tossed himself into his corner of the couch. "We crashing here tonight then?"

Smiling, Jimmy confirmed that they'd all be sleeping over before pressing play. The credits of "The Princess Bride" rolled across the scene.

"Again? I knew we shouldn't have let Abby pick."

Laughing at the whine, Jimmy claimed ownership. "Actually, it was my pick."

Snorting, Tony scowled. "Yeah, right. What'd she bribe you with?"

"Imported chocolate."

"Conniving brats, the both of you." Tony hid a smile as the other two laughed at his grousing. This was the good life.

*~*~*

Pressing the close button, Gibbs offered a small smile and wave to Ducky as he crossed through the doors into autopsy. They'd see each other for lunch unless a case was in. Pressing the number for the office staff's floor, he waited, glaring at the doors. Hearing the ping that announced his arrival, Gibbs strode out the barely open doors and glanced around the floor layout. He wanted the girl Tony had commented on, the one who was known for pretending the non-existence of gossiping co-workers. Reese. Shriek. Shrise was it. Grabbing a passing clerk, he waited for the boy to look up from the floor. "Where's Shrise?"

"Straight ahead. Just listen for the cat fight. She's bitching out Laura again for passing out rumors."

Giving a nod, Gibbs strode off listening for the fight. It wasn't all that audible, but it was loud enough through the shut door of the office to catch his attention. The door opened and a curly-headed brunet scuttled out, shoulders hunched. Ignoring her, he strode in and pulled the door shut behind him. "Miss Shrise."

Chestnut braid flying, Sharon looked up at the agent who made an elevator ride impossible every morning. "Agent Gibbs." Staring at the tense man in front of her, she stood up and came out from behind her desk. "How may I help you?"

"I find myself in need of some advice."

"What kind? Yours and your team's paperwork is always on time and correctly done." She smiled slightly. "A fact I'm grateful for by the way."

Acknowledging the compliment with a nod, Gibbs helped himself to the seat in front of her desk. Sharon, taking her cues from the Agent, moved to her own seat and motioned for him to continue.

"I find myself in a position where retirement is desired, but there are those who might try to delay my discharge by delaying certain forms."

Pulling herself up in her seat, Sharon rolled back her shoulders. The agency may belong to the agents, but the care of its data was hers and no one broke her system without her permission. "Am I to take it that you would like my advice of how to prevent such delays?"

"Precisely."

Smirking, Sharon interlaced her fingers and rested her wrists on the edge of her desk. "It's a simple matter, really. One I'm sure we can work out. Why, retirement is rather quick actually. All it takes is the processing of the forms into the system. Technically there's no need for an actual notice of intent, though it is considered polite to provide one."

Relaxing into the chair, Gibbs offered a tight smile, his gaze hard. "I'm not much for politeness at the moment."

"Understandable. And really, if such forms were to appear in my inbox, I'd be honor bound to see them entered into the system. After all, it's not my place to enforce the manners of the agents. And if one accidentally sent it here instead of through the expected chain of command, well, really. It still needs to be entered. And once that's done all that's left is the last trip out the front door. Amazing how simple it all is, isn't it? And absolutely no trouble for me." She smirked.

A wide smile rewarded her humor. "It seems we have an understanding then."

"Oh yes. One bit of advice though. Vacation is a wonderful thing as is the internet. And really, the latter is all that's needed to submit certain necessary forms." She smiled as he got out of his seat. "And Agent Gibbs, if for some reason there's some other paperwork that needs tending before the accidental delivery, I'll be delighted to handle it."

"One more question, then. Is it possible to submit a two week notice while on vacation?"

"Just as simply and just as rudely as retiring through my Inbox is. Delightful morning, isn't it?"

He nodded. "And I haven't even had my second cup of coffee." Tipping an imagined hat at the seated information specialist, he strode out the door and back to autopsy. Don would be pleased. Lee could retire as soon as his chance came. All he had to do was send their boy on vacation beforehand and all of them would be safely out of here.

*~*~*

Trotting up the backstairs, Gibbs smiled. Abby had been with Don when he'd arrived. They'd both been relieved by the information that getting him and their boy out of the agency could be handled quickly and quietly when they were ready. And he'd managed to catch a case at the same time. A rare grin stole across his face as he listened to Abby imitate him as she tried to get the team up and out. She'd given them plenty of information. Just not the one bit that would get them out the door. Striding through the doorway and into his team's section, he issued his orders. "You heard the lady. Gear up." Expecting them to obey, he grabbed his jacket, listening to Abby's commentary.

Recovering from the sip of Gibbs' coffee, Abby watched the team hop to it as soon as their boss spoke. Shaking her head sadly, she continued the mock-game. "They only listen to their master, Gibbs. Only you can crack the whip. Only you can drink the swill."

Grabbing the extended cup of coffee, Gibbs headed for the elevator.

Hooking his gun to his belt, Tony watched the by-play and added his own commentary. "It's only a gun on a Navy base, boss."

"There's brain matter on the barrel, Dinozzo. Someone shot somebody in the head with that gun." Shrugging on the jacket, Gibbs headed for the elevator and Davíd and McGee.

Slinging on his backpack, Tony offered one last quip in the game before rushing to join the others. "You left that part out, Abby." Nodding to his boss, he stepped into the elevator.

Striking the main floor button, Gibbs tossed the truck keys towards Dinozzo. "Take the truck. Davíd. McGee. With me."

Shrugging off the questioning looks from his fellow agents, Tony headed for the parking lot as soon as the doors opened. "Good luck," he threw back over his shoulder, though to whom he wasn't sure. This was strictly Gibbs' business.

Leading the rest of his team to the car, Gibbs took the driver's seat and waited for McGee and Davíd to get in before peeling out of the parking lot.

McGee looked between Ziva and Gibbs and the outside window. The scenery wasn't passing by at its normal blistering pace. At this rate, Tony would get there before them. And speaking of Tony, he'd had them play defense brigade on Abby's orders. And there'd never been the explanation of why. And now he wasn't there. Licking his lips, he settled his hands in his lap. "Boss?"

"Yeah?" Gibbs switched lanes with a jerk.

"Did something happen today?"

"Yesterday, McGee."

Grimacing, Ziva turned sideways in the front seat so she could better confront Gibbs. "Yes. Yesterday. Why did we need to guard while Tony and Abby 'goofed off'?"

"They were doing what needed done, Davíd. Just like you did."

"Yes, but..." McGee paused and straightened in his seat. "Why did it need doing?"

Gibbs scowled, his grip tightening on the steering wheel. "Vance forced Ducky to retire. He's out of the office as of April 30th."

Separated though they were by the front seat, both Ziva and Tim were shocked. Out of everything they hadn't expected this. Pulling himself into the gap between the two front seats, Tim tried to get a better look at Gibbs’ face, but he was serious. "But that's not fair, to either of you. What are you going to do?"

Turning in his seat, Gibbs ignored the road to stare down his curious agent. "Build a boat with, Donald. What did you think I was going to do? Play his games? I'm retiring, McGee."

Ziva was the first to regain her composure after that announcement. "Will Tony be leading the team?"

"No. He's got his own plans. Right now this case is part of them." Gibbs hit the accelerator, speeding up to his normal pace. Silence fell in the car as everyone became lost in their thoughts.

Gibbs pulled up to the neighborhood just as Dinozzo turned off the engine. Shutting down the engine, he climbed out of the car and stalked towards the front door of the house, leaving his agents to catch up.

Tony caught sight of the downcast features of his teammates. "He told you then?"

Nodding, Tim looked up, his misery obvious. "He's leaving."

Ziva nodded her agreement, tight-lipped and angry. "It is Vance's fault."

Nodding, Tony loped up the walkway as the other two followed. "You're both right. But...just don't look at it like he's leaving. If they'd been left alone and allowed to keep working together, Gibbs and Ducky would've died in this job. They're leaving the job, not the team." He paused at the last step to catch his breath as Gibbs raised his hand to knock. "Team dinner's two Saturdays from now. Don't miss."

Stepping up behind Gibbs, all three were grim as the door opened.

"Hi. NCIS Special Agent Gibbs. Mrs. Taffet?

The woman who'd opened the door nodded. "Yes."

Confirmation received, Gibbs got to the point. "We need to speak to your son, Noah, about the gun he found."

"Yes, of course. Come. Come on in." Worry plain, she waved them in as her daughter left.

Walking through the freely opened door, they settled into the distraction of the case. There were answers to find and these answers they could do something about.

*~*~*

Careful of the dish he carried, Jimmy eased his way through the unlocked door of Donald's house. The case with the boy and the gun had been finished, not in time for a Saturday dinner. But Sunday was close enough. "Jethro? Donald? I've got the beans."

"In the kitchen, Jimmy," was yelled in reply by Jethro's gruff voice.

Tripping through the pack of excited corgis, Jimmy made his way through the entryway and into the kitchen. Jethro was picking the meat for the barbecue out of the pot it'd spent the morning boiling in and getting it ready for the grill. Smiling, he set the warm bowl of baked beans next to the stove. He'd have to put them in the oven to keep warm, but that could wait till Jethro was done. Turning to the cupboards, he began pulling down glasses for their drinks. "Donald's with the grill?"

Smiling, Jethro plunked the last piece of meat on the plate he was holding. "Yep. Gettin' it hot. We made the sauce earlier."

Looking over his shoulder, Jimmy caught sight of the smirk on Jethro's face. "Please tell me you used your recipe. Donald's an amazing cook." Turning away to collect the silverware, he continued, amusement creeping into his voice. "He just can't cook American food. At all."

"Brat. Of course it's my recipe." Snatching up a spoon he'd left on the counter earlier, Jethro pushed back the foil covering the beans and snitched a spoonful.

Softly tsking, Donald walked in from the back door. "Really, mi amant. You're going to ruin your dinner." Reaching around his lover, he tugged the empty spoon from his lax grip. Keeping a hand on Leroy's waist, he turned to Jimmy while pointing with the bean-stained spoon. "And for your information, Jimmy, I cook American food perfectly well. I just leave out the grease you Yanks are so fond of."

Laughing, Leroy gently nudged him aside with an elbow so he could carry the meat out to the grill and the waiting bowl of sauce. "But that's what makes it American, Duck."

"Uncultured oaf. Off with you." Shooing him out the door, Don waited until it creaked closed before using the spoon to snatch his own bite.

"Donald!"

"Parent's prerogative, my boy. We must taste everything. Leroy on the other hand would eat the whole dish and forgo cooking the rest of our meal or burn it."

Grinning, Jimmy conceded. It'd happened that way last month when he'd gotten his hands on Abby's cobbler. "It was good take-out though."

"Hmm, well, yes." Tossing the spoon into the sink, Donald set to work clearing out the dishes that had been used and placing them in the dishwater. "You're doing well with everything? I'm afraid with the case and all, we didn't get to check in as much as we would have liked. The office is not the most secure of places at the moment."

Shrugging, Jimmy separated out the forks, spoons, and knives in order to wrap them in the oversized napkins they used on barbecue days. "The important things aren't changing. The rest is doable."

"An admirable outlook. Just don't forget we're here and all will be well."

"You and Jethro are unforgettable."

"Tony, my boy, there you are."

"And me!" Abby popped out from behind, two covered dishes in hand. "I've brought the yummy green veggies. Peas and asparagus." She eased them onto the counter next to Jimmy's beans.

"And I've brought dessert. Homemade chocolate cake. And no, Abby. It's not from Betty Crocker."

Eyes wide, she pointed at herself. "Who me? Really Tony...I wouldn't think that of you. The apron would clash."

Clapping his hands and sending water spraying the counter, Donald called them to order. "Enough of that you two. Abby, dishes in the oven. Tony, ice in the glasses please. And Jimmy, why don't you keep Jethro company at the grill once you've carried the silverware out?" Various assertions of agreement came from the three as they settled into their tasks. Hiding an amused smile, Donald went back to transferring the dishes to the washer. They'd be eating within the hour.

*~*~*

Grabbing his phone on the first ring, Leroy flipped it open before it could disturb Donald. "Gibbs."

"Oi, Gibbs. How about that favor you owe me?"

Scowling at the sound of the voice on the other end, Gibbs memorized the provided information. No wasn't an option. At least this way it'd be used under the backing of NCIS even if the department didn't know it was providing him with a safety net. Easing out of the bed, he began to get dressed.

"Lee?" floated softly from the bed.

Sitting back down on the edge, Leroy smoothed out the rumpled hair. "Mornin'"

"Where the devil are you going? It's not time to get up for work."

Eyes downcast, the silver-haired agent answered. "Kort's calling in his favor."

"The favor you incurred because of me." The tone was soft with an underlying touch of guilt.

Scowling, Leroy nodded. Despite claims to the contrary, his lover hated mentions of the incident. "Yes. Yes, I owe him because I damn well love you enough to defend you no matter what it takes. And there is nothing wrong with that," he ground out.

Raising a hand to lightly stroke the tense jaw, Don raised himself up for a short kiss. Breaking it, he stared into the steady gaze of his lover. "I never said there was, Lee. I simply wish it hadn't been necessary." Sitting the rest of the way up, he eased himself out of bed. "Now off with you. I'll see you at the office so I can deal with my end of the issue."

"Don, this isn't your problem. I acquired the favor."

Don placed a quick kiss on Leroy's nose before turning to his half of the dresser. "And that, mi amant, is where you are quite wrong. This favor was 'acquired' as you say in order to protect me. Therefore it is my place to help in its fulfillment. Even if only so that I may confer my dubious protection on you."

Grabbing up his own clothes, Lee finished getting dressed. After tucking his shirt in, he turned away from the mirror to face his lover. He reached out and gripped his lover's slight wrist before pulling him into his side for their traditional morning kiss. "I'll call in as soon as I know what's going on."

Don let his head relax and fall against Lee's shoulder as he fiddled with the top button. "I'll be waiting."

*~*~*