- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Depts are paid, final confrontations are had, and at the end they party.
Part 3

Relaxed, Gibbs fiddled with the pencil he'd grabbed as Vance continued venting his displeasure.

"I want to know who told him. Maybe we should start with your buddy Kort."

"He's not my buddy."

"Coulda fooled me." Vance paused for effect, obviously sure that he had information Gibbs was lacking. "I made some phone calls. Trent Kort's been benched. Siravo hasn't been on the CIA's radar in six months." He jerked his chin, emphasizing his point. "What's Kort doing digging around in the trash?"

Gibbs stared back calmly, offering an unruffled smile. "He's got his uses."

Vance perched on the edge of his desk, smiling knowingly. "Kort gave you my file."

Offering nothing but a slight shake of his head and bland response, the silver haired agent dodged the implication. "I'm only concerned about Siravo." The verbal fencing was proving amusing...and dangerous. He definitely couldn't have stayed with Vance suspecting he had his file.
Abandoning that line of questioning, Vance moved onward. It hadn't been a confirmation, but it hadn't been a denial either. "What's Kort interested in?"

"God...and country." With a low voice, Gibbs gestured up on God and gave a nod to country. He could play the game. He just preferred not to.

The Director jerked his head up with a humph. "Trent Kort shows up bearing gifts. I want to know what's in it for him."

Gibbs put his pencils on the desk and got up. This meeting was going nowhere. With his back turned, he offered one last comment on the subject. "Trent Kort does not gain anything by leaking information, Leon."

"Then I want to know who does."

Hand on the handle, Gibbs gave him the attention he wanted.

"Find the leak. Find Siravo. I want the CIA out of my house."

Pulling the door shut behind him, Gibbs shook his head. Vance was agitated and antsy. His control had been challenged and he wasn't happy about it. But it had been worth it. The debt would be paid and his honor cleared soon.

*~*~*

The ringing of his phone only added to Gibbs irritation as he pulled into the parking lot of NCIS. “Gibbs.”

“Jethro.”

“Fornell.”

“So Dinutso’s leaving you for me. What’d he do?”

“He’s a better exchange than my ex-wife was.” Gibbs smirked. “Said you were his kind of bastard. And I’m retiring."“Retiring? Jethro, what’s going on?”

“Vance decided to include Donald in his games. I decided I’d end the game.”

“By removing the players.”

“Yep.” Gibbs listened to the increase of static as the phone was shuffled around, probably into a better hold.

“I take it this isn’t actual knowledge?”

“Except to my people, no.”

A snort. “Good to know I count, Gibbs.”
“You know you do, Tobias. Now why’d you call? You woulda hung up already if it was just Dinozzo.”
“You wound me, Jethro. To think I’d be so unappreciative of your conversation skills.”

Scowling, Gibbs glared at the phone before putting it back to his ear. “Tobias.”

“Fine.” Tobias paused, silence filling the line. He was far enough away that Gibbs couldn’t shoot him. That didn’t mean he’d be safe afterwards. He chuffed slightly, but it’d be worse if he didn’t say a thing. “Abby’s been requested.”

“By who, Fornell?” A barking demand.

“I don’t know. The FBI just has orders to transport her. I called as soon as I found out. Anymore than that, you’ll have to find out.”

Shrugging, Gibbs nodded. That was expected. “Tobias.”

“Tell Dinozzo I want him at his new desk six weeks from your release.” A dial tone rang over the line.
Snapping his own phone shut, Gibbs headed into the building. He hit the floor for personnel in the elevator. It would be best to give Shrise a heads up about Dinozzo’s upcoming vacation complete with two-week notice. Odd how he seemed to be heading off to his vacation the day before his boss retires. A satisfied smirk settled over his features. Odd indeed. With that done, he could find out what his team had learned about the barefoot body and check in with his girl.

Dodging past harried office workers, Gibbs slipped into Shrise's office and shut the door with a soft snick. She was alone this time except for a pile of files and a cup of coffee. "Shrise."

She jerked the pages of the file she'd been reading scattered across her desk. A few pages tipped off of the front edge and drifted to the floor. "Gibbs. I take it the door was padded and prevented knocking."

The Special Agent shrugged before offering the fallen pages he'd picked up. "Something like that."

"Ah well. What's up then? Figured out the dates I need to keep track of?"

"Time span. I need my retirement to go through after this case I just picked up."

"Gossip's good for something." Shrise waved at the group clustered together across the hall. "I'll know within the hour when you're done. I imagine I'll have some files that need attention at the time." The edges of her mouth curled into a smile. "Sadly, that means I'll be here rather late."

"Late enough to take care of something else as well?" Gibbs sat down with his elbows resting on the desk.

"Easily, so long as it's only rude and not illegal. I did forget that little proviso last time." Shrise shrugged. "It happens."

"True." He sat back in the chair, limbs relaxed. "I need Anthony Dinozzo's vacation time to go through with a time-delayed two week notice that activates half-way through his four week vacation."

One groomed eyebrow rose as she asked wryly, "He has that much leave?"

Cracking a half smile, Gibbs shrugged. "Mostly paid, too." He paused as his gaze narrowed. "That activates before my retirement goes through."

Shrise sighed while tugging on the tail-end of her braid. "And here I was thinking you were finally going to ask for something hard. Done and Done." Dropping her braid, she took up her cup and took a sip. "Consider it thanks for the existence of decent coffee. According to Phina you made it a necessity."

Gibbs’ satisfied grin transformed into a smirk at the comment. "Consider its continued existence a ‘you're welcome’ then."

"I will." Shrise offered a salute with the cup.

Gibbs pushed himself out of the chair before turning back, his amusement gone. "One last thing."

"Yes?"

"What's the real reason?"

Shrise smiled sadly. "I knew a man who'd give everything to protect his own. Or at least be there for them. You remind me of him and I think such honor should be rewarded." A mischievous grin replaced the smile and she winked. "Or it could always be the simple fact that Vance and his tendency to treat people as chess pieces annoy me."

Her snipe at the director drew a chuckle from Gibbs. "Who was the man?"

"My Grandfather." Shrise flicked her hand at the door. "Now shoo. I'll keep my eye out and you keep the paperwork handy."

*~*~*

Gibbs shook his head. Sweet tooth she may have, but their Abby took care of her teeth. Declared the time devoted to cleaning was the exchange rate for regular caffpows. "No. Fornell just called. Abby's been...requested."

Tony echoed him. "Requested?"

Ziva frowned, perplexed. The answer was too pat and 'skinny' so to speak. "By?"

"He didn't know. Just that the FBI has orders to transport her." The boss that he was, Gibbs watched as the lack of information made itself known to his agents. He'd trained them well.

Hands already reaching for the keyboard, Tim headed for his desk. "Okay, I can access the FBI operations database."

Ziva was on the offensive, ready to strike and defend. She and Abby had had a rough start, but a few hours over a makeshift jigsaw puzzle and exorbitant amounts of caffeine had settled that matter. She turned to Gibbs, digging a finger into his shoulder to emphasize her agitation. "I have a contact at the DOD."

Tony, the most senior field agent of the three had his hand reaching for the phone on his desk. "Bolo out on the FBI transport?"

Shaking his head at the lot of them, Gibbs flipped open his phone. And yet they still hadn't learned everything they could. But it was a start. "I don't know. I thought maybe I'd just try calling first." Someone else would get to finish it. And he could consider that later, once they'd worked out what trouble their most curious member had gotten in to.

"Hey Gibbs, Don't worry. No cavities. I was gonna call."

Silent, he left the main room for the privacy offered by the overhang of the stairs off from the room. "Fornell already did. You okay?"

"Yep."

Gibbs could hear it, the enthusiasm for the adventure. She wasn't worried yet. He was. "Where are you?"

"In the back of a van."

Turning on his heel, he started another round of pacing. Her amusement wasn't helping. "Abby."

"I'm fine. It's exciting. Group of FBI agents swoops in and steals away an unsuspecting citizen to places unknown." Her voice over the phone took on the tone of a late-night black and white horror movie announcer.

The edge of the stairs appeared on the edge of his vision and he turned, aiming for the wall under the stairs again. "Yeah. It's the unknown part I don't care for."

"Oh. I got Palmer's text about the vampire bite. I can't believe I'm not going to be there for that. Who are you getting to fill in?"

Gibbs bit back a sigh at her nonchalance as he once again found himself running out of space and having to turn in the direction of the bullpen. "Working on it."

"Well if you need anything before then I keep a step-by-step Abby's Lab for Dummies in my desk. It covers the basics. A monkey could follow the instructions."

Edging into view of the pen, he caught sight of Tony and his reclaimed backscratcher. Amused despite himself, Gibbs offered up a quick quip that was sure to entertain Abby. "Good. 'Cause we got one of those."

*~*~*

Hiding in the shadows outside of Abby's lab, Gibbs waited for Tony. McGee would be there soon and he wanted a word with his Senior Field Agent. At the sound of Tony's familiar footsteps, he stepped out with his hand swinging up and catching him on the back of the head. "Dinozzo."

"Ow. Hard much?" Head tipping forward, Tony hid his green eyes from Gibbs. They always gave him away. "In trouble, am I?"

"No. Just warned." Striding forward, Gibbs shouldered up against his agent. "I just told Fornell you're his. Don't make me regret it because you're too damn stubborn to drop the act."

Hair falling out of place, Tony jerked his head up, green eyes wide. Tony held his boss' gaze before giving in and nodding his acquiescence. He'd control the act.

Satisfied, Gibbs offered a brief smile before turning and stalking off. "Stay safe, Tony," floated back over his shoulder.

*~*~*

Curled in the corner of Gibb’s couch, Abby chatted with Ziva while they waited for Tony and Tim to arrive. Jimmy was in the kitchen helping Ducky with the dessert he’d baked which Jethro had snitched ingredients from.

“I just can’t believe I fell for it. The whole…” She waved her hand in the air before plopping it on her knees and setting her chin atop it. “Innocent, sick-person deal. I’m an NCIS employee. I should know better than that!”

Shaking her head, Ziva raised a hand palm out for silence. “If you did, then you wouldn’t be our Abby who looks for the best in the people around her and doesn’t give up on an answer until she finds it or creates something to help herself find it.” The sound of bags rustling in the entryway caused her to pause.

Tony and Tim were standing there, take-out bags in hand as they nodded their agreement. Casting a sideways glance at Tony, Tim began speaking when he realized that the floor was being left to him. That is one thing that he liked about these dinners. Tony was a lot better behaved under Gibbs’ roof than he was in the field. “They didn’t give you the whole truth and without it there was no reason for you to think anything but the conclusion you came to. You did nothing wrong, Abby.”

“I guess. But I don’t have to like it.” Abby sighed before leaning closer to Tony and the back of the couch when he reached over and ruffled her hair.

“Gibbs put it to rights, Abbs. He caught ‘em and you know that no one who hurts his gets away with it. Besides, if you hadn’t been your curious, friendly self, then the FBI would have let a domestic terrorist get off scott free, yeah?”

“Dumb Fibbies,” Abby muttered. “You better not lose your IQ over there Tony. I’ll be watching you and I have tests ready, mister.” She grinned up at him while shaking a finger in his face.

“Shouldn’t he be taking those already? His reading material alone is enough to do it,” quipped McGee, a pleased smile flashing across his face as he managed to get one of his rare digs in.

Glancing from one to the other, Ziva’s brow creased in confusion. “I do not understand, Abby. What would the FBI being dumb have to do with Tony’s loss of intelligence?”

Eyes widening, Abby glanced up at Tony apologetically. “Oops.”

A bellow from the kitchen distracted Ziva and Tim now that he’d caught on that something besides a joke was up. “McGee. Dinozzo. Quit the chatter and get that food in here while it’s still hot. Ziva. Abby. Gossip hour’s over.”

“Coming, Boss,” they replied in stereo. Ziva and McGee hurried off into the dining room while Abby and Tony hung back for a moment.

“I’m sorry, Tony.” The pig-tailed scientist sidled up to him and gave him a hug. “And McGee shouldn’t have said that.”

“Yeah, well.” Patting Abby’s head, Tony flashed her a quick smile. “Don’t worry about it. They would have picked it up soon enough.” Keeping an arm about her shoulders, he guided them into the kitchen and right into Ziva’s continued line of questioning.

“Gibbs, why would Abby think Tony would be close enough to the FBI to find his intelligence threatened by their lack of skill?”

Eyebrow raised, Gibbs stared at the object of the discussion, asking permission. Dipping his head, Tony gave him permission to let the rest of the group know what was going on. Addressing Ziva and Tim, Gibbs gave them the answer. “He’s accepted the position Fornell keeps offering. He’s due at work six weeks after I let him go.” He flicked a finger in Tony’s direction. “He’ll be leaving shortly before I retire and he won’t be coming back.”

Spooning up some of the fajita dish Tim had picked up, Tony pointed down at the table and its food. “Ziva, McProbie. Just sit down and eat. It’s not that big a deal.”

Adding in his piece, Ducky waved everyone into their seats. “Timothy, how is your next book going?”

*~*~*

Gibbs lowered his head, Abby's last words, while so softly spoken he shouldn't have heard but he did, floated in his head. "Just make sure you bring yourself back too." Leaning against the elevator archway, he slowly released a breath. "I will Abbs. It's too close not to."

The door dinged as it opened. Walking in, he punched the number for Autopsy. Two days until Ducky retired and he wouldn't be there for it. Vance's voice sliding through the autopsy door pulled him up short.

"Your forms arrived. I appreciate the timeliness."

Don was agitated, his answer clipped. "Just as I appreciate your need to come down here in person to tell me so, Leon."

Gibbs leaned against the doorjamb, listening. Vance's tone was clipped. "I'll be holding onto them until the end of this case. Dr. Jackson will be taking over at that point." Silence from Donald. Pushing away from the wall, Gibbs stepped in front of the door and waited.

"Agent Gibbs."

"Director." Stance relaxed, Gibbs looked Vance up and down before pushing past him and into autopsy. "Duck."

"Jethro." Ducky kept on eye on Vance's progress as he headed towards the elevator and got in. "You heard then."

"Yep, seems we're walking out the door at the same time after all, Don." He threw out a grin.

Donald answered with a smile as he walked over to his computer and sat in his chair. "You're heading to LA then."

"I'll be back, Don." Stepping up behind his seated lover, Lee cupped the side of his throat with one warm hand and slid the thumb up and down the back of Don's neck. "And I'll check in on our wandering son while we're there and let him know the situation."

"Garrett? Or Callan. Whatever he's going by these days."

A laugh rumbled up through him. "Yes, the chameleon. Callan at the moment."

"Yes, well." Don reached up with a shaking hand and clasped Lee's for a moment. "Just remind him I expect everyone home for the fourth. Including him and your Father, Leroy. "

"Will do, Don. Will do."

*~*~*

Tony watched as Abby, cupcake in hand, dragged McGee to the elevator. Once they were gone, he walked over to Gibbs’ desk and perched on the edge. "Rivkin's with Ziva."

"I know, Tony. I know."

"He's dangerous."

He jotted one more signature on a line. "And you're officially on vacation for four weeks."

"With a two week notice starting in two weeks."

"Correct, Tony." Nudging the knee on his desk with an elbow, Jethro offered a sympathetic grimace. "We have no authority as of five minutes from now. Shrise has our papers. She stayed to process them before morning."

"And for that five minutes?"

"You worry. And then you do nothing. Do not confront him. Go to Abby's or Jimmy's, but stay out of it, Tony." He met the worried gaze head on and stared him down till he got a nod of consent. "That's a direct order."

"Fine."

"Your word."

"My word on it." Tony scowled before hitting the desk. "I don't have to like it, right?"

"Nope. Just obey it."

Silence settled around them as Tony watched Jethro finish his report and sign off on the rest of the teams. This was the last time both of them would do this at any NCIS headquarters. Fingers tapping the edge, he asked "How's G doing?"

"Fine. Driving his handler spare."

Smoothing back his brunet mop, Tony chuckled. "Sounds like him. How'd he take it?"

"Told us to have fun and give retirement hell." The soon to be retired agent grunted, stabbing one finger at a stubborn key. "He'll be here this year for the fourth, assignments willing."

"Cool. Be good to see him again." Tony shrugged. "He's not a musketeer, but he's family."

A soft smile from Jethro and a brief nod gave his agreement.

The quiet, familiar shuffle of Ducky soft shoes filled the silence after a while.

"Are you finished, Lee? Tony?"

Tony looked up from Jethro's screen and offered him a wan smile. "Almost, Donald. It's the last you know."

Donald dipped his head in acknowledgment of that fact. It was a night of lasts. "But it's also a night of firsts. Shouldn't we begin?"

A soft chuckle floated from Jethro as he pushed away from his desk and slowly shut down the computer. "Yeah, Duck, we should." He nodded at the elevator. "One last conference?"

"I'd be delighted, mi amant."

Tony waved them off with a grin. "Go on. I've got one last thing to grab. I forgot to move it with everything else."

"Goodnight then, Tony."

Gibbs threw a wave over his shoulder as he cupped Donald's elbow and escorted him to the elevator.

Once the doors were closed, Tony stepped over to his desk and unlocked the bottom drawer and revealed the box within. He'd kept hold of these medals for years. Kept them there in that drawer. Maybe now they could go to the one who'd earned them. If not, well, maybe it was finally time for them to be displayed. Even if it wasn't under the roof of the one who'd earned them. A name plaque would make sure no one was mistaken.

Tucking the box under his arm, he trotted for the staircase. Those two would be a while and thanks to Abby, he had somewhere to be.

*~*~*

With their goodnights tossed between them and Tony, Don turned his attention to Lee and the recent visit to Los Angeles. "How did it go?"

Leroy shrugged. "Garrett's fine. He'll be here if he can. Wants us to give retirement hell."

"And the rest, Leroy? I know who Macy is to you. You mentioned her that night you got drunk and finally informed me of the entire tale." Don’s grip tightened, more a hold to keep Lee there than the mildly possessive touch Don normally used.

"Was, Don. Who she was. We settled it."

Eyes closing in relief, he let Lee guide them into the open elevator. There truly were no loose ends left to tie when it came to the job or at least not important ones. Calming himself, he settled his weight against his lover and reached around Leroy to flip the emergency stop switch. He raised a hand and stroked Lee's bristle-brush hair. "Do you think you might let this grow?"

"You going to wash it?" Lee leaned back against the wall of the elevator as his hand trailed down Don's side to rest at his waist.

"It would be my utmost pleasure." Fingers trailing down the line of the haircut, the newly retired coroner traced the edge of an ear. Up and down, his touch barely more than a feathering of sensation.

"Hmm." Lee let his head hit the side of the elevator with a thunk. Despite what he'd inferred to McGee, he hadn't slept well on the plane ride. He'd just done a damn good job of pretending so.

"Following asleep on me, Leroy?"

"Heading that way if you keep that up," Lee muttered, letting his eyes close.

Soft, slightly chapped lips pressed a gentle kiss to each closed lid as Don allowed himself to lean his full weight against Lee. Just for a moment while the wall propped them both up. He'd come home this time. Everyone had. "Will you miss it?"

"Not enough to come back here." Lee nestled his cheek against Don's. "Besides we're young enough. We can consult, do part-time. Soon to be 51 and 57 isn't bad. We'll manage."

"And I thought I was the optimist of this pair."

"Only most of the time. Occasionally even you need a pick-me-up." Blue eyes laughing, Leroy wrapped his arms about his Don and pulled him closer, turning their resting position into a full-out hug. "Otherwise, what use would you have for me?"

"Oh, I can think of a thing or two." Don winked before flashing a cheeky smile.

Leroy laughed long and loud. There was no reason to be quiet anymore. "I'll hold you to that once we're out of here and in my bed."

"Your bed, Jethro?" Don raised an eyebrow, more a teasing than a warning.

"Our bed. My house. It's closer."

"An argument I have never before been so pleased to lose then." Freeing one hand from their embrace, Donald restarted the elevator and let it continue on to the main lobby. They had one last thing to do.

Easing out of their embrace, they stood side by side in front of the elevator doors as they opened. Together they strode out into the lobby and through the security check point for the last time as employees of NCIS.

*~*~*

Bags of decorations in hand, McGee dragged himself through the door which Abby in her construction hat was holding open. “Why do we have to do this now? I just got back from that case with Gibbs. I haven’t even got any sleep, Abby.”

From his position on a nearby ladder, Tony poked fun while providing an answer. “Because McProbie, Gibbs and Ducky are still at Gibbs’ house. We can decorate without them knowing and it’s close enough to the end of the case neither will suspect anything.”

Taking a break from blowing up the blue and green balloons, Jimmy added his two cents. “That and Abby addressed the invites as ‘First Saturday night after the case.’ Which is tomorrow.”

He was outdone three ways. “Fine.” Setting down the bags of balloons, tablecloths, silverware, and dining ware, McGee looked around. Something was missing. “Where’s Ziva?”

Tony’s shoulders hunched slightly as he stiffened. His voice was calm though when he answered. “She had something to do tonight, but she promised to provide all the refreshments and one of the main dishes in order to make up for it.”

“Oh, okay.” Staring at the bags and all the work they meant, McGee turned to Abby who was nearly bouncing in place. “All right, Abby. What’s my job?”

“Tables! And streamers!” She pointed across the room to where one table was already dressed in the dining room turned party room. The dark blue table cloth was draped neatly over the frame with a forest green streamer was looped around the edge and a candle shaped like a boat sat in the center. “They all have to look like that, well except for the candles. We have corgi and golf ball candles too, so you can alternate. They’re over there.” She waved at an oversized table in the corner that a bunch of wax figurines were clustered on. “Just don’t move them. Jimmy put them in place after he and Tony moved out all the furniture. And Tony is in charge of making and hanging the balloon chandeliers that go above them.”

Sighing, Tim smiled as he grabbed the first cloth out of the bag and walked over to the closest table. “And what are you doing?”

Grinning, Abby shoved her face into his space. “I’m supervising, Timmy.”

*~*~*

Sipping his punch, Donald admired the party centered around him and Jethro. Their musketeers and the rest of the team had rather outdone themselves. The streamers and balloons were...organized despite their abundance. And the candles were worth a laugh. Leroy had already confiscated one of the sailboats. Various coroners he'd met and befriended over the years were in attendance. Gerald had come and he'd wished him luck in his new position. The majority of their fellow agents they were on good terms with had popped in to say Hi. Even Dwayne, the team’s Probie, was there. Small gifts to be opened at a later date were piled high on a back table. For an event they'd been expecting, it was quite the surprise.

Abby's strident squeal caught their attention and making their excuses to the friends they'd been speaking with, Donald followed Leroy as he plowed through the crowd to investigate the matter. The chance of danger was slim, but when their girl let out a squeal of that volume, excitement was never far off. Slipping past the last group of people blocking their view, they were greeted with the sight of a blushing Tony, a laughing Jimmy, and a giddy Abby who was currently glommed onto the side of a lithe, dark-haired, dark-attired young man that looked rather perplexed at his new adornment.

"Abby," Leroy barked out her name, calling her to attention.

She released her previous prey and with a cry of, "Jethro! Donald!", she wrapped the pair of them in a tight hug. "Look who Tony brought! They're dating-dating. The serious dating. Isn't it great?"

"Abby!" Tony and Jimmy both cried.

"What? It's sharable news, not secret news." She released the pair and bounced over to stand with Jimmy.

Sighing, Tony stepped up beside the bemused stranger in their midst and shifted closer as said stranger rested a hand in the center of his back. "Jethro meet Ian Edgerton. Ian Edgerton, this is my...wait. You're not 'Boss'-"

"Dinozzo!"

"Uh, never mind. Ian this is Leroy Jethro Gibbs, The Boss." Motioning over towards Ducky, Tony offered a quick smile. "To his right is Donald Mallard. Donald and Jethro are the patriarchs of our crafty little family."

Stepping forward, Donald elbowed Leroy out of the way and extended his hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you. Now tell me...how did you meet our Tony?"

The two shared a look before Tony answered with a shrug, "Our therapists share a building. We met by accident one day."

Nodding, Ian took up the tale. "And we just kept meeting up until it was no longer an accident. And then he asked me out. And later I asked that we make a relationship of it, so he brought me to meet his family." He spared a look at a wildly waving Abby being restrained by Jimmy. "So far it's proved interesting."

Smirking, Leroy moved up beside Donald. "What do you do?"

Cocking his head to the side, Ian returned smirk for smirk. "I'm an FBI sniper."

Gibbs nodded. It was a respectable field. A hard elbow in the ribs from Don had him extending the expected ultimatum. "We'll expect you at the family dinners from now on." Approval would be decided by the outcome of those meetings.

Smiling wryly, Ian nodded his acceptance. He could deal with that. "So long as I'm in town, I'll be there with Tony."

Nudging his date, Tony took back the conversation. "We may not be able to make next week's. Ian has some downtime coming and since I'm already on vacation we were thinking of heading off for a few days." He looked back over his shoulder. "And no, Jimmy. Where hasn't been decided yet. And Abby, you can't come." He smiled to take the sting out of the words.

Soft, rolling chuckles filled the bit of silence that fell after that remark. Reaching out to pat his boy's young man on the shoulder, Donald smiled warmly at the pair. He'd let Jethro play the role of over-protective father at the moment and take on the one of proud instead. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Ian. For now, I believe I'll give you respite from Jethro's suspicions." With a wink, he turned to Abby and Jimmy. "Abigail, I believe it's time to cut that decidedly red cake currently taking up the bulk of that back table." Waving her off, he coaxed Jimmy closer while grabbing hold of Leroy's wrist. "Jimmy, provide Lee with a proper knife, if you could. Leroy, smile. These people like you. And Tony, enjoy your date." Sighing, he looked at the empty table beside them. The drink he'd sat down when Lee drew breath to shout at Abby was gone. "And I shall endeavor to acquire another glass of that punch before finding Timothy and Ziva."

A pair of hands on his waist drew him back against a hard chest. "I do love your ability to organize, Don." One hand rose and tipped his chin up as soft lips moved in for a kiss. He relaxed into the hold and opened to Lee's questing mouth. When the kiss broke and they separated, he opened his eyes to find Lee there, a soft, contented smile on his face. "Happy retirement," was whispered against their still parted lips.

"Indeed." Don tapped his lover on the nose. "You still have to cut the cake."



The End. (Till the side-fics hatch.)
Chapter End Notes:
Does anyone like my orig charas? :)