- Text Size +
Jethro sat at his desk absent mindedly looking at the flask his wife had given him years ago. He didn’t have flashbacks all that often, but today was just one of those days. Especially after he had seen a little girl enter with Ducky a few hours ago. He hadn’t said anything because he just assumed the girl was his niece or something along those lines. He would never even think that girl could be his baby girl. She was dead after all. Some mornings were harder than others, waking up in a bed alone and walking past his daughter’s room. He stayed in the same house, mostly because he wasn’t good with change.

But he did like one new change in his life, Colonel Hollis Mann. She wasn’t the regular red head, as per his usual choice. But he didn’t mind, in fact he quite liked that about her. The fact that she was considering retirement scared him, however. He was afraid that she would expect him home more and to not work as often. But he did love her and he was certain, that while Shannon had been his soul mate, he and Hollis could have a good life together.

Just as he was thinking about her, a call came in, a dead Navy Officer found in Quantico. He gathered his team and left. Shortly after canvassing the scene and getting the situation under control, Ducky and Palmer arrived.

“Hey Duck, how’d this guy die?” He was never one to beat around the bush and always right to the punch.

“Well Jethro, it looks like he was shot and then the body was dumped here. You poor thing. Palmer, get the gurney and get this poor fellow home. I have something I have to attend to however, so the autopsy might be a bit delayed.” Gibb’s looked at him oddly.

“Is that about the young girl you brought with you this morning?”
“Oh, you noticed her? She is someone I have to help. But you might want to come help her yourself Jethro…” With that, he drove back to the Naval Yard and left a very puzzled Jethro Gibbs.

A Few Hours Later

“Alright Abbs, whatchya got for me?” He plopped a Caf-Pow! in front of her.

“Gibbs! My ‘Gibbs sense’ didn’t go off! But you always know when I have something for you!” And she proceeded to tell him what she had found.

Just as he was about to leave, something she said stopped him ice cold. “Oh, Gibbs… Ducky asked me to run a DNA sample on this person and they are 97% related to you. So this person must be a sibling or cousin or something!”

“I’m an only child Abby…” And he took off to autopsy.

“Doctor Donald Mallard… who’s DNA did you ask Abby to run a DNA sample on and why? And most importantly, why are they related to me?”
Chapter End Notes:
PS, sorry it's short.