- Text Size +
Pulling up to a stoplight, Jethro Gibbs glanced over at his senior field agent, who had seemingly become more withdrawn since they had left the hospital. There was no doubt that the young man was carrying a heavy burden and DiNozzo’s first instinct was to try and bear it alone. Between the resurgence of his past memories, the return of Jack Miller, and the disappearance of Kate, the weight he was carrying was now threatening to crush him. Gibbs wasn’t sure how Tony was managing to hold on to his sanity.

He would never admit it to anyone, but Tony’s silence unnerved him. DiNozzo hid behind the mask of a clown, but when he grew quiet, it was sign that Tony was having a difficult time keeping the mask in place. Gibbs wanted to reach out to him as a father would a son, but he could tell that at the moment, the young agent would simply rebuff any demonstration of affection.

The ex-Marine decided to go with his usual direct approach. “You okay?” he asked.

Tony sighed. “Not really.”

Before Gibbs could answer, DiNozzo pointed at the traffic light. “It’s green,” Tony informed him.

The team leader accelerated and they were once again moving with the flow of traffic. He knew Tony well enough to realize that his senior agent was more than likely hoping that he would simply let the conversation drop, but DiNozzo knew Gibbs well enough to know that he would not be so easily swayed.

“You gonna tell me what’s going on in that head of yours?” he pressed.

Tony laid his head against the window and closed his eyes. “It’s all pretty jumbled up right now, Boss.”

Gibbs could hear the forced control in Tony’s voice; anger, sorrow, and fatigue were taking their toll on DiNozzo and the team leader wasn’t sure how much more his son could take.

“Tony, I…”

The young agent raised his head and glared at him. “Gibbs, I don’t need a psych eval right now,” Tony insisted. “What I do need to is to find Kate.”

“We’re going to find her, DiNozzo,” the team leader vowed.

“Alive?”

“Yes, alive. Kate’s a smart woman.”

“If she dies because of me…” Unable to finish his thought, Tony turned away and stared out the window once again.

“She’s not going to die.”

“You have to let me go after her,” Tony pleaded.

“Not alone.”

“But Gibbs, I…”

“No!” the team leader snapped. “We’re going to get her back, but I’m not prepared to sacrifice your life to do it.”

“It’s the only way,” Tony attempted to reason.

Gibbs clenched his jaw, forcing himself to tamp down his own frustration and anger. Tony placed so little value on his own life and that aspect of DiNozzo’s personality greatly disturbed him; it had taken the former Marine a long time after the young man had left the Baltimore PD to get across to him that his life was worth something. Years of conditioning from his father and then from various superiors in the three different police forces that DiNozzo had been a part of, had convinced Tony that he was expendable.

For the first few months after Tony had started working for him, Gibbs had been forced to deal with DiNozzo’s willingness to take unnecessary chances, usually resulting in some kind of minor injury. It wasn’t until Tony had taken a bullet for him that he had been able to get to the core of the younger man’s sometimes irresponsible actions.

Under the influence of pain medication, Tony had opened up about his estranged father and the constant struggle he faced trying to please the man who did nothing but find fault in everything he did. The need for acceptance apparently spilled over into his time on the various police forces until he reached Baltimore. DiNozzo had thought he had found his niche until he ended up busting an illegal drug ring within the department and after that, he had spent months looking over his shoulder. When Gibbs had been called to a homicide and the shared jurisdiction of the case had brought them together, it was during that particular case that the team leader found his right hand man.

Now, Tony was back to believing that trading his life for Kate’s was the only reasonable solution, but Gibbs refused to accept that. “It’s not the only way,” the team leader stated. “We’ll think of something.”

Tony didn’t answer. Instead, he resumed his vigil of staring out the car window. Gibbs sensed DiNozzo’s uneasiness, but he knew that there was very little he could do at the moment to ease his agent’s worried mind.

Within a couple of minutes, he pulled up in front of his house. Tony looked at him, confusion and irritation were etched in his features. “Why are we here?” he asked.

“You need a place to stay,” Gibbs pointed out. “This is as good as any.”

“I thought we were going to the office.”

“Nope.”

“Gibbs,” Tony protested. “I’m fine.”

“Didn’t say you weren’t.”

Before Tony could say another word, they were greeted by McGee, who was opening the passenger door as the team leader cut off the engine. Gibbs had called Tim and instructed him to meet them at his house. Whether Tony wanted to admit or not, his life was in danger; Gibbs was determined that he would not lose his son as he had his wife and daughter, so he decided to make sure that someone was with him at all times. Judging by the soured expression on Tony’s face, DiNozzo was not happy about the arrangement, but then again, he didn’t have a choice.

“Boss, this is ridiculous,” Tony argued. “I’m not going to hide out while Kate is in danger.”

“You’re not hiding,” Gibbs shot back. “This is your home for now.”

“Then why is Probie here?”

“Because I told him to be here.”

“To babysit me?” Tony inquired, not bothering to hide his annoyance with the team leader.

“If need be,” Gibbs retorted. “Right now, he’s here to go over everything he’s discovered about Jason Miller.”

“And what will I be doing?”

“Listening while you’re lying down on the couch.”

Gibbs suppressed a grin. He was pretty sure that the expletives Tony was muttering under his breath as the young man walked towards the front door were directed at him. “Did you say something, Tony?” he taunted.

“No, Boss,” he sullenly replied. “Just thinking about how glad I am to be here.”

“That’s what I thought DiNozzo.”

He watched the two younger men walk in the house and then he spared one final look around before following them inside. There were no signs of anybody following them and his gut was telling him that for now, Tony was safe. However, there was something going on with DiNozzo that he couldn’t pinpoint; there was a spark of something in his senior agent’s eyes that set off a string of alarms in his own mind. Gibbs was going to have to watch Tony’s every move. There wasn’t a doubt in his mind that the minute he turned his back on his hard headed agent, Tony would be gone.

Entering the house, he closed the door behind him and locked it. McGee and Tony looked at him, surprise written on their faces at the unusual action. Gibbs pointed to Tony. “You lay down,” he ordered.

“Can I at least go to the bathroom?” Tony testily inquired.

Gibbs nodded, “McGee, go with him.”

“What?” McGee and Tony cried out in unison.

The former Marine glared at the two men. “I meant stand outside the door, McGee.”

“I think I can handle going to the bathroom by myself,” Tony retorted.

“I’m sure you can.”

Tony walked towards the bathroom, motioning for McGee to follow him. “Come on, McGee,” he growled. “But I’ve got to warn you, it’s not going to be pleasant.”

McGee rolled his eyes. “You’re telling me. At least turn the fan on.”

“With pleasure.”

Gibbs shook his head, hiding his amusement at the brotherly banter that often engulfed DiNozzo and McGee’s conversation. He heard the bathroom door slam and lock, signifying that Tony was going to purposefully take a long time taking care of his personal business. The team leader went into his kitchen and started a pot of coffee, his mind busily searching for answers he did not have.

“Boss?” McGee called out, interrupting his thoughts.

“What?”

“Do I really have to stand outside the door? I mean he’s been in there for ten minutes, I don’t think that Tony really appreciates this. I mean it is kind of degrading to have someone standing outside the door while you’re trying to…”

Gibbs joined McGee outside the bathroom door. He gave McGee a sideways glance and then proceeded to pound on the door. “Hey DiNozzo, you okay?”

His query was met with silence. Gibbs tried the door to find it was still locked and then he called out to Tony again. “DiNozzo! You better be in there!” Again, he didn’t receive an answer, prompting him to pull out his knife and jimmy the lock. The door swung open to reveal an empty room with the window lying on the floor, perched against the wall.

“Damn it! McGee, check out the back!” he shouted as he ran past the young agent. Running out the door, he glanced at the hook where he kept his spare keys, noting that his truck key was missing. The team leader quickly deduced that Tony somehow lifted it before he went to the bathroom.

Gibbs saw Tony at his truck, leaning against the frame in an effort to catch his breath; obviously he was still recovering from the effects of the fire. Relieved that he had managed to stop Tony from leaving, he was equally perturbed that the senior agent had tried to escape from his watchful eye. “What do you think you’re doing?” he barked.

Tony stood tall, forcing his determined gaze to meet the team leader’s own icy stare. “I’m going to save Kate.”

“I told you that we were going to do this together!”

“I told you that I can’t let you get involved. It’s me he wants! Not you!” Tony yelled, not caring about the looks of confusion that he was receiving from the neighbors..

The former Marine blew out a frustrated breath. Why did DiNozzo believe that he had to fight all his battles alone? “Tony, we will get Kate back,” he promised. “Besides, we don’t have any idea where he’s holding Kate and until we do…” Gibbs froze. “You know something you’re not telling me.”

Tony looked away. “Gibbs, I’m sorry. You can’t get involved!”

Gibbs grabbed Tony’s arm in an effort to pull him away from the truck and guide him back into the house. “Come on, DiNozzo, let’s go talk. If you tell me what you know, maybe I can…”

He was surprised when Tony pulled free, the violent action causing him to lose his balance and fall to the ground. Gibbs felt his head impact with something sharp, leaving him dazed and disoriented. He vaguely recalled hearing Tony yell for McGee and then apologizing to him. As blackness closed in around him, he found himself praying for the safety of his son.




XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX




“McGee! Get your ass over here!”

Tony knelt down beside Gibbs, nauseated at the thought that he had hurt the only father he truly ever had. Glancing at his watch, he saw that he had less than 30 minutes to get to Rock Creek Park, but at the same time, the last thing that he wanted to do was to leave Gibbs, uncertain as to how badly he had been injured by his hand. He breathed a sigh of relief as McGee skidded to a stop, his expression a mixture of confusion and astonishment.

“What happened?” McGee wanted to know.

“Take care of him,” Tony instructed. “I think he hit his head, but I’m not sure.”

“I’ll call an ambulance.”

DiNozzo nodded and glanced back down at the team leader. “I’m sorry, Boss. I didn’t mean for you to get hurt, but I have to do this. I hope you understand.”

He stood and opened the truck door. Sliding into the driver’s seat, he started the engine, ignoring McGee’s protests. “Take care of him!” Tony ordered as he shut the door.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going to r…I’m going to help Kate. Just make sure Gibbs is all right!”

Tony struggled against the guilt that was consuming him for leaving Gibbs behind, but the knowledge that he could save Kate from a fate worse than death spurred him on. He cut off his cell phone, knowing that first chance McGee had, he would have Abby trying to track him through his phone; thankfully, he had taken Gibbs’ old truck for the very reason that they couldn’t track him via GPS.

DiNozzo wove his way through traffic until he arrived at Rock Creek Park. He parked the car and looked around for Miller and Kate. On a nearby bench, he saw the two of them casually sitting as if they were old friends, but his eagle eye didn’t miss the knife discreetly planted against Kate’s side. Getting out of the car, he slowly made his way towards them as they stood up to meet him.

The site of Jason Miller sent waves of rage coursing through his veins. He had never hated anyone as much as he hated the man in front of him. All it would take would be one shot to the head and Tony’s nightmare would be over, but he couldn’t endanger Kate. This man had taken everything from him and he had to fight the urge to take the man’s life, at least until he knew Kate was safe. He had sworn that he would make Jason Miller pay for what he had done to Sydney and Sean and now that he was standing mere inches away from him, he could not fulfill that promise.

“I’m here,” Tony coolly stated.

“So you are,” Miller replied. “And alone.”

“I told you I would be.”

“Unarmed?”

“Yes.”

“Where’s your cell?”

“In the truck.”

“It better be.”

Tony’s eyes were fixed on Kate. She looked unharmed as an air of defiance sparkled in her eyes. “Are you all right?”

“I’m fine. Tony, don’t do…”

He saw her gasp as Miller pressed the tip of the blade into her side. “She’s fine,” Miller assured him. “She’s anxious to get back home though.”

“Let her go,” he demanded.

Miller smiled. “So, tell me how you got away from your watchdogs.”

“It doesn’t matter. I’m here. Now, let her go.”

“Let’s head over to my car,” Miller ordered. “You follow my instructions to the letter and this will go off without a hitch and Kate will be just fine.”

The trio walked over to an older model Chevy Malibu that looked as if it were ready for the junk heap. Miller silently urged Kate to open the trunk, in which she grudgingly obliged.

Tony closed his eyes, realizing that Miller even knew about his fear of closed in spaces; a fear he developed thanks to his mother and the ever infamous canopy bed.

Jason smiled at him. “Get in.”

“Aren’t you afraid someone will see me?”

“Nope.”

“That’s kind of brazen. This is a public park.”

“True, but one thing I’ve learned is that most people ignore the obvious. Besides, it’s pretty well shaded right here. It’s hard to see in the shadows. Now, get in!” Miller growled, the forced pleasantness gone from his voice.

Tony took a deep breath and blew it out as he climbed in and curled up on his side as much as his large frame would allow. His hate filled eyes remained fixed on Miller as his nemesis forced Kate to handcuff his hands. “Bastard,” he mumbled. “How do I know you’ll let Kate go?”

“Believe me, she’s more trouble than she’s worth,” Jason snarled. “I won’t have time to fool with her; you have earned my undivided attention.”

“Lucky me,” he grumbled.

“I don’t want to hear a word out of you or I will kill her and Agent Gibbs will find nothing but her body. Do you understand me?”

He nodded as the lid closed, submerging him in darkness. Tony fought to quell the panic rising in him; he had to remain calm and in control if he was going to get out of this. It seemed like hours, but in reality, he knew it was only minutes, before the car started driving away. Tony prayed that Miller had released Kate as he had promised, hoping that his enemy’s lust for revenge against him was enough to make Jason Miller keep his word.




XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX




“Boss, can you hear me?”

Gibbs slowly opened his eyes, the memory of him trying to stop Tony from doing something foolish came rushing back to him as he sat up and looked around, his eyes finally coming to rest on McGee. “I’m fine,” he muttered. “Where’s DiNozzo?”

“Gone. He took the truck and…”

The team leader stood shakily to his feet. “Damn it!”

“Boss,” McGee began to reason. “The EMT’s are on their way; you really should let them take a look at you. It looks like you’ve got a nasty bump there.”

Brushing aside the young agent’s concern, Gibbs headed towards the agency car that he often drove only to discover that the back tire was slashed. He smacked the hood of the car, ignoring the pain vibrating up his arm. “McGee! Get your car!”

“It won’t do any good, Boss; he slashed my tire too.”

Gibbs cursed under his breath. He should have known that Tony would remember rule number 9. “Call Abby and see if she can track him through his cell.”

“I already did and she’s not having any luck. He must have cut it off, but she’s working on cutting into the traffic cameras and…”

Gibbs stumbled across the street, McGee’s words lost in the wind. “Boss, what are you doing?” Tim shouted.

“Right now, I’m going to borrow a car. Then, we’re going to find DiNozzo and I’m going to…”

“Going to what?”

“I don’t know!” he barked. “I’ll be back in a minute.”

Struggling against the dizziness and nausea, he managed to convince his neighbor, another former Marine, that he needed to commandeer a vehicle and within two minutes, he had the keys to a brand new Mustang. Gibbs stopped long enough for McGee to grab his laptop and get in the car and the two of them sped off after DiNozzo. “Any luck tracking Tony?” he asked.

“Uh, not yet,” McGee stammered. “Uh, Boss, don’t you think I should drive. You don’t look too good and…”

Gibbs’ glare silenced the probationary agent. Gibbs pulled over into a deserted parking lot, waiting for McGee to give him an idea of the direction that Tony had taken. He hit the steering wheel with the palm of his hand. “I should’ve made you go in there with him.”

“Boss, the only way he could have gotten out was through the window and it didn’t look big enough for Tony to fit through. I don’t mean that he’s big or anything, but I mean,” McGee sighed. “I just didn’t think he could do it.”

“He took out the whole window,” Gibbs explained, not wanting to go into detail how Tony had helped him replace that window and knew exactly how to get the window out of the frame; an afterthought that he should have earned a head slap for.

“Guess that explains all the grunting. I just thought that he had to strain to…uh, never mind.”

“Anything yet?”

“Not yet. It’s almost like he’s gone out of his way to avoid the traffic cameras.”

“He was probably planning this escape all the way home from the hospital,” Gibbs surmised.

“You really think so? I mean this was pretty complicated and…”

“McGee, you may be an MIT graduate and have all these degrees, but you still have a lot to learn.”

McGee was about to reply when something on his screen captured his attention. “Boss, we have your truck on camera here. It looks like he’s headed toward Rock Creek Park.”

Without uttering a word, Gibbs sped off towards the park, hoping that he wasn’t too late to save his son.