- Text Size +
Awareness came slowly as the realization that someone was calling her name began to sift through the fog that clouded her mind. A moan escaped Kate Todd’s lips as she was pulled to a sitting position; swallowing back a wave of nausea, she tried to bring her surroundings into focus. When the world around her finally stopped spinning, Kate found herself staring into the blue orbs of Jethro Gibbs.

His expression was pained, lines of concern and fatigue etched in his normally stoic features. She felt a bottle of water thrust into her hand with the gruff order to drink. Kate gratefully welcomed the cool relief that the water provided and after a few sips, she replaced the lid.
As she glanced around in an effort to recall where she was, the agent realized that she was in Gibbs’ truck. Momentarily confused, Kate found it odd that she was sitting in the team leader’s vehicle, until the memories of Tony exchanging himself for her safety began to emerge.

“Oh my god, Tony!” she cried out.

“Where is he, Kate?” Gibbs pressed, a growing sense of urgency evident in his voice.

“Miller put him in the trunk of his car,” Kate recalled. “God Gibbs! He hates enclosed places. He’s probably going out of his mind!”

He firmly grabbed her shoulders and forced her to meet his formidable gaze. “What else do you remember?”

She tried to slow down the slide show in her mind, but Kate was still reeling from her own experiences. “I’m not sure. The next thing I know I’m waking up in your truck. He must have drugged me or something.” She raked her trembling hands through her hair. “We’ve got to find him, Gibbs.”

“We will,” the team leader vowed. “Do you remember anything about the car?”

She closed her eyes for a brief second and slowly exhaled, forcing herself to remain calm. “It was an older model Chevy Malibu, dark blue and the back tail light was missing. The license plate started with the letters VJ. The inspection sticker was out of date and the passenger’s side mirror was missing.”

Gibbs looked over his shoulder at McGee, who up until then had been quietly standing behind the former Marine. “Bolo!” he barked.

“On it Boss!” McGee answered as he hurried off to carry out Gibbs’ order.

“Gibbs, Miller is a lunatic.” Kate struggled to keep her emotions at bay. She needed to think like an NCIS agent and could not allow her personal feelings to get in the way of her judgment. Finding Tony was their primary concern; she would have to deal with her feelings of guilt and regret later.

“I know, Kate,” he snapped.

“He intends to kill Tony and do it as painfully as possible. The room he held me in was the room that he planned to torture…” She shuddered at the memory of that dark room; Kate could almost feel the dampness and darkness of the tomb that had been her abode for only a few short hours.

“Do you have any idea what kind of building that this room was in?”

She shook her head. “No, I was blindfolded on the ride up there and during the ride to the park. It has to be off the beaten path. Miller threw me over his shoulder and carried me for a while, but I’m not sure how far he walked.”

“Any kind of sounds or anything that might give you a clue as to where you were?”

“I don’t know, Gibbs.” Kate felt like she was failing Tony. She couldn’t keep her thoughts straight and her inability to process a rational thought could cost her friend his life.

Gibbs helped her out of the truck and motioned for McGee to join them. “Take Kate and have her checked out,” he instructed. “Looks like she may have been drugged. I want a clean bill of health from the doctor before she leaves.”

“Gibbs,” Kate protested. “I’m fine. You’re going to need our help to find Tony.”

She hated when he purposefully ignored her as he was doing now. The team leader glared at the probationary agent. “Do I make myself clear, McGee?”

“Uh, got it Boss,” Tim stammered.

Kate started to argue with the former marine, but had second thoughts when Gibbs’ icy stare turned on her. She had seen that look on his face before and Kate realized that there was no use in taking the conversation any further. There was a special bond between Tony and Gibbs, one that she found herself jealous of at times. She wondered sometimes what had drawn Anthony DiNozzo and Leroy Jethro Gibbs together, but all her profiling skills had not enabled her to solve that particular mystery.

“Please just find him,” she softly pleaded.

“I won’t rest until I do,” Gibbs assured her as he climbed in his truck and started the engine.

“Be careful. Miller…” Kate shuddered at the sound of his name. “He’s…”

She saw the team leader visibly bristle at the mention of Jason Miller’s name. Right now, there wasn’t a doubt in her mind that Gibbs hated Miller with a passion that rivaled and perhaps surpassed his obsession with Ari Haswari. The terrorist had taken something from Gibbs; she wasn’t sure what that something was, but Gibbs’ determination to find Ari had turned into a personal vendetta.

Miller had taken something far more personal from Gibbs; he had taken the man’s son and nothing would stand in the way of him saving the child of his heart. For some reason that she couldn’t explain, Kate knew that if something happened to Tony, then Gibbs’ world would completely shatter.

“Just be careful,” she repeated.

Gibbs nodded and sped off towards the exit of the park. Kate wrapped her arms around her petite frame, leaning against McGee as he escorted her towards the car. She welcomed the support as the events of the past hours began to catch up with her, making her feel weak and vulnerable. Although she wasn’t particularly fond of those emotions, she couldn’t deny them, especially after everything she had endured the past few hours.

As they drew closer to the car, she realized that it wasn’t the standard government agency issue. Kate suspiciously eyed the vehicle and then looked to McGee for an explanation.

“Uh, Boss borrowed his neighbor’s car,” Tim explained. “Tony kind of disabled our cars.”

“Disabled? How?”

“He slashed our tires.”

Kate’s eyes widened in amazement as she realized the lengths her partner went to in order to save her. “Tony slashed your tires?”

McGee nodded. “Yep.”

“So he took Gibbs’ truck and came to rescue me?”

“After he knocked Gibbs unconscious for a few seconds.”

She held up her hand. “Wait a minute. Maybe you better start at the beginning.”

Tim opened the door for her and she slid in the passenger’s seat. McGee got in the car, started the engine, and headed towards the hospital.

“I’m waiting,” she reminded him.

The young man sighed. “All right. Here it goes.”

Kate listened attentively as McGee recalled Tony’s escape that ultimately led to her rescue. The fact that Tony would go against Gibbs’ orders spoke volumes of DiNozzo’s concern for her well being. Kate owed Tony her life. She just hoped that someday she would be able to return the favor.




XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX




It was all Tony could do to force himself to concentrate on his breathing; he had to control the fear that was threatening to literally consume him. At the moment, he wasn’t sure what bothered him the most, the darkness or being trapped in the confined space of the trunk. He could not allow his circumstances to dictate his reactions; he would not let a childhood phobia interfere with his ability to make a rational decision. Tony knew that his life depended on being able to think clearly and to act quickly, as well as stay alive long enough for Gibbs to find him.

Gibbs. It had taken everything within him to go against the team leader’s direct order, but he truly believed that he had no other choice. He had been too late to save Sydney and Sean; Tony was determined not to lose anyone else that he cared about to the sadistic ways of Jason Miller.

In. Out. In. Out.

“Hold it together, DiNozzo,” he panted.

In. Out. In. Out.

“Whatever you do, don’t panic. DiNozzo’s don’t panic.”

In. Out. In.

Tony’s breath caught as the car stopped. As much as he wasn’t looking forward to what Miller had in store for him, he was grateful that he wouldn’t have to spend much longer in what he had come to think of as his prison. The sooner he was able to be freed from the darkness that engulfed him, the sooner he would be able to concentrate on a plan of escape.

The trunk lid opened, forcing him to squint against the brightness of the sun. Tony blinked a few times and as his eyes adjusted to his surroundings, he saw the unmistakable figure of Jason Miller standing over him with a gun expertly aimed at his head. Inhaling deeply, he breathed in the fresh air, appreciative of the fact that he no longer felt like he was suffocating.

“Get out,” Miller demanded, his tone was cool and deliberate, almost like he was trying to stay in control of himself. Tony figured that his captor just wanted to make sure that he didn’t kill him before he had a chance to torture him.

Tony slowly climbed out of the car, taking the time to make sure that his legs were underneath him. Standing to his full height, he met Miller’s hate filled gaze and smiled. “I’m out,” he informed him.

His head snapped back as the pistol in Miller’s hand made contact with his cheekbone. Taking his bound hands, he gingerly felt the newly bruised area. “Nice hit,” he retorted.

“There will be plenty more where that came from,” his tormentor stated in a matter of fact manner. “It’s time to walk.”

“Nothing like a good hike through nature to clear your mind.”

“Enjoy it. It will be the last time you see the outdoors until you’re buried six feet under. Now, take off your socks and shoes.”

He hesitated a second too long and found himself on the ground, his feet kicked out from under him by Miller.

“Take your shoes and socks off,” Miller repeated. “I’m not going to tell you again.”

Tony held up his hands. “It’d be easier if I didn’t have these on.” When he saw that Miller wasn’t going to free him from the cuffs, he shrugged and began to untie his shoes. “Guess not.”

“You guessed right, DiNozzo.”

As he was busying himself with his shoes, he began to methodically scan the area. Tony looked for the unusual and the mundane to see if he recognized something that might give him a clue as to where he was. He suddenly found himself face down on the ground with Miller’s knee making a permanent indentation in his spinal cord. Tony felt the other man placing a blindfold around his eyes, submerging him in darkness once more.

A moan escaped his lips as Miller leaned forward and whispered in his ear. He could feel the man’s rancid breath on his neck. “Can’t have you seeing where you’re going. Wouldn’t want you to get any bright ideas,” he seethed.

“So you want me to walk through the woods blindfolded and without socks and shoes?” Tony asked. He could not allow Jason Miller to see his fear and his uncertainty. The agent knew that he had to stay strong and stay focused until he was able to escape or Gibbs found him.

“That’s the idea.”

Tony was roughly pulled to his feet and given a shove. “Now walk!”

He began to walk, knowing it was useless to try and convince his captor that he would only slow him down if he couldn’t see. During the journey, Tony lost count of the number of times that he had tripped or that he had managed to step on a sharp stick or stone that would literally rip into his tender soles. He bit his lip until it bled just so Miller wouldn’t have the satisfaction of hearing him cry out in pain.

The only reassurance that he wasn’t alone was Miller’s maniacal laughter every time he stumbled or fell. He had long ago given up trying to keep up a conversation; it was taking all his effort to put one foot in front of the other. The slickness of the blood on his damaged feet was making it nearly impossible to stay upright and the more he fell, the more Miller began to taunt him.

“Wouldn’t Sydney like to see you now?” The evil lilt to Miller’s voice infuriated Tony. How dare this man utter his beloved wife’s name?

“She always thought you were so strong,” Jason continued. “But you weren’t strong enough! You couldn’t save her. If she could see you now, she’d be ashamed of you. Guess your daddy was right; you’re helpless and pathetic!”

Tony refused to answer. He would not let himself be baited by this man. Silently urging himself on, he pressed forward, hoping that they would arrive at their final destination soon. They had been walking what felt like forever, but he mentally figured that it hadn’t been more than thirty minutes. Exhaustion was rapidly creeping up on him, forcing him to admit that he wasn’t sure how long he could keep up this pace.

He cried out as a sudden sharp pain tore through his foot. Tony fell to the ground and rolled from side to side as he struggled to stay conscious despite the fact that he was certain that his foot had been amputated. As Miller stood above him, Tony could imagine the look of pleasure on the other man’s face. Jason Miller wanted him to suffer and at the moment, he felt like he was dying.

“It looks like you’ve got a problem, Tony,” Jason sneered.

“Do ya think?” he shot back, his teeth grinding together as he continued the battle to stay awake.

“It looks you’ve got your foot caught in a trap.”

That explained why he felt like something was trying to cut his foot in half. “You bastard! You knew it was there.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Miller shot back. “Guess I could just leave you here and let the elements and the wild animals take care of you.”

“But you won’t. You don’t anyone or anything to deny you the pleasure of killing me.”

“You know me so well.”

Tony heard Miller kneel down beside him and began to pull back the sides of the trap. He felt pieces of his flesh pull free from his foot as the teeth began to separate. The blood was flowing faster now and Tony wondered if he would bleed to death before Miller could exact his vengeance. The sheer agony radiating from his foot was unbearable and he could not hold back the waves of nausea as they came crashing down. Once his foot was free, he rolled to his knees and began to throw up until his stomach was empty.

A kick to his abdomen landed him back on the ground, the bruised side of his face landing in his own vomit. “Get up!” Miller shouted. “Get up now!”

He got to his knees and wiped his face with his bound hands. Although he knew Miller couldn’t see his eyes, he glared at him in a manner that would make Jethro Gibbs proud. Tony’s hatred for Jason Miller grew with each passing moment. “Are you planning on carrying me?” he spat.

Tony received his answer as he was pulled to a standing position. “Not hardly.” Miller shoved him forward. “We’re almost there. Now walk!”

Inhaling sharply as his weight came down on his injured foot, Tony cursed under his breath as he fought to remain upright. He wanted to pass out, but he couldn’t allow himself the luxury.
He had to remain in control of his mind and his emotions. Miller could not defeat him; he would not defile the memory of Sydney and Sean by giving into his fears and his weakness.

Blocking the pain, he trudged ahead, his thoughts turning to memories of a better time in his life. He had to think about something besides what Miller had in store for him.


***flashback***


“I can’t believe that we got away with it.”

Tony looked over at his new bride. They had only been married for a little more than an hour and were on their way back to the tiny little house that they would call home. Together, they would make their marriage work, despite the obstacles that fate placed in their way. Sydney was his soul mate and he was hers; he had no doubt that their love could withstand anything.

“I know what you mean. I thought for sure your dad would’ve busted through the doors with a shotgun before the minister could say, ‘Dearly beloved’,” Tony teased.

“Tell me about it. I thought about asking if we could install extra locks on the doors. But I guess it only proves that we are meant to be together.”

He smiled at Sydney as she reached over and began to run her fingers through his hair. “God, I love you,” he whispered, hoping that he wouldn’t start crying again. When they had taken their vows, he had nearly been so overcome by her beauty and the love she held for him in her heart, that he barely had been able to speak.

She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. “I love you too.”

“I’m sorry that it wasn’t the wedding you wanted or deserved…”

Tony was hushed by her delicate fingers on his lips. “The only thing that mattered to me was that you were there and that we are together. I don’t need a big, fancy wedding; I just need you.”

Taking her hand in his, he kissed it gently. “I love you, Mrs. DiNozzo.”

“And I love you, Mr. DiNozzo.”

Tony pulled over on the side of the road and gathered Sydney in his arms. “Don’t ever leave me, Syd. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“I’m not going anywhere. We are going to grow old together and one of these days, we will be sitting on the front porch of our house, holding hands while we watch our grandkids play in the yard, in love just as much as we are this moment.”

Tony tilted her head up until their eyes met. “You better keep that promise,” he mumbled as he leaned down to kiss her. Passion took temporarily took precedence over thought as her mouth hungrily explored his. Finally pulling back, Tony grinned at his beloved wife. “I think I saw a motel a couple miles back.”

“Then you better turn this car around,” she seductively suggested.

He reached over to stroke her face before putting the car in drive. Tony turned the vehicle around and headed back down the road. He knew that they were about to spend their first night together as husband and wife in a run down, cock roach infested motel, but it didn’t matter to them. They were together and at that moment, Tony felt like there was nothing that could tear them apart.


***end flashback***


He was brutally jarred out of his reverie as another shove found him landing on a concrete floor. Tony heard the door shut and in a matter of seconds, his blindfold was removed. He sat up and slowly looked around. This was evidently to be his new home. “Where am I?” he rasped, desperately wishing for a drink of water.

Jason Miller stood in front of him, a malicious grin plastered on his face. “You my friend,” he gloated. “You are in hell.”