- Text Size +
Leroy Jethro Gibbs purposefully distanced himself from the other members of his team as he carefully listened to the very detailed instructions that were being provided to him by Jason Miller. He realized that the others were curious about the conversation that he was having with Tony’s captor but the team leader simply continued to ignore their inquisitive gazes, silently ordering them to continue to attempt tracing the call. Their priority was finding Tony and everyone would had a vital role to play in rescuing DiNozzo from the depravity that seemingly engulfed Jason Miller.

“Do you understand everything I’ve said?” Miller inquired, the very sound of his voice turning Gibbs’ stomach.

“I understand,” he conceded.

“Then I will see you in one hour.”

“I’ll be there,” Gibbs vowed. “One more thing, Miller; Tony better be alive.”

Miller dismissed his warning with a fit of condescending laughter. “That’s entirely up to Tony, but he is well past the half way mark so maybe your boy will win this first round after all.”

Gibbs forced the waves of anger to stay behind the dam that surrounded his rage. “You better hope he wins or there won’t be anywhere in this world that you can hide that I won’t be able to find you.”

A moment of unexpected silence told Gibbs that he had struck a nerve. “I don’t appreciate your tone, Agent Gibbs,” Miller seethed. “Perhaps I should rethink inviting you to play the game.”

“This isn’t a game; we’re talking about a man’s life.”

“A man who ruined my life,” Miller pointed out. “A man who took everything from me and now it’s time for me to return the favor. Now, if you’re through trying to piss me off, I will see you at the main entrance of Rock Creek Park. Remember to come alone and that means no electronic eyes or ears. If you break the rules, Tony will die right then.”

“I’m not going to do anything to jeopardize Tony’s life.”

He could almost see Miller shaking his head in disbelief. “I don’t understand why he’s so important to you, but I guess you have your reasons. Does he fill a void in your life perhaps left by another child?”

Gibbs had to resist the urge to hurl the phone across the room, knowing that if it shattered into pieces that he would lose his only solid lead to Tony’s whereabouts. How did Miller know about Kelly? There were very few people who knew about Shannon and Kelly and although Tony was one of those few, he knew that the young man would take Gibbs’ secret to the grave.

“Agent Gibbs, are you still there?”

The team leader swallowed hard. “I’m here.”

“For a moment, I thought our connection was severed.”

He refused to let himself be baited any further. Gibbs glanced at his watch, knowing that with every passing second he was losing precious time. “I’ll see you in an hour.”

“I look forward to it, Agent Gibbs and I know that Tony will be glad to see you as well.”

Gibbs hung up and blew out a pent up breath in an effort to force his frustrations and worry to ebb away; although he knew it was a useless act, it gave him a few seconds to focus his thoughts. In two strides, he was standing between Abby and McGee, watching them as they continued to their search to find DiNozzo. “Anything?” he wanted to know, handing his phone to Abby. Gibbs was completely aware of the fact that there was no need to verbalize what he expected her to do with the device; she always seemed to know what he needed.

McGee nodded as his fingers continued to fly over the keyboard. “He was using a burn phone and I narrowed down the towers that the signal bounced off and…”

Not wanting to take the time to listen to McGee’s lengthy explanation, he patted him on the shoulder as he headed towards the elevator. “Keep looking,” he called back over his shoulder. “I’m going to meet Miller and he’s taking me to see Tony.”

As he leaned down to allow his eye to be scanned, Gibbs found himself surrounded by Abby, McGee, and Kate. He stood to his full height, his eyes briefly coming to rest on each one of them. “I have to go alone, no wires, no cell, and no weapon,” the lead agent testily explained.

“You can’t do that, Gibbs,” Kate protested. “How do you know that he won’t kill you on sight?”

“Because that’s not part of his game.”

“But we can still trace the car through its GPS.”

“I’m taking my truck.”

“Gibbs, this is crazy,” Abby insisted. “I can rig something that…”

“No time. I’ve got forty five minutes to get to Rock Creek Park and I’m not going to be late.”

Kate crossed her arms, her stance indicating that she had every intention of preventing him from meeting Miller. “You can’t do this. Tony wouldn’t want you to risk your life for his; there has to be another way.”

“There is another way, Agent Todd; we could let Tony die and that’s what’s going to happen if I don’t show up on his terms.”

He glared at the young woman until she stepped aside. “What do you want us to do?” she quietly asked.

“What you do best; your jobs. Miller’s going to take me to Tony and it’s going to be up to you to find us.”

“You can count on us, Boss man,” Abby replied, holding up his cell phone.

“I know I can.”

Gibbs entered the elevator, the worried faces of his team etched in his mind as the doors closed. He knew that what he was about to do was foolish but he had no choice. If any of his team was about to meet a deranged murderer without backup, he would do everything within his power to stop them; they had tried to stop him but being the team leader did have its advantages. Right now, he wasn’t sure that the devil himself could stop him.

He leaned against the wall, pinching the bridge of his nose hoping to ward off the headache that was threatening to invade his skull. Gibbs knew that he needed a clear mind if he was going to help Tony; he had to stay focused and aware of his surroundings. Miller had taken great pains in planning out his game and Gibbs was now a key player; he just hoped that he was in time to save DiNozzo.

“Hang in there, Tony,” he whispered. “I’m on my way.”



XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX



Tony could no longer feel his arms but discovered that was the least of his problems. It was taking every ounce of his frayed resolve to remain upright and he was beginning to doubt that he was going to be able to last much longer. He thought that after being permitted to talk to Gibbs even for a moment, that he would be able to reach down into a well of hidden reserves and accept his torture stoically, but that idea was short lived especially after he had pissed all over himself.

Now he was simply humiliated and too exhausted to care. He wasn’t sure if he was still being watched but keeping up a brave front for his team was too taxing; Tony said a quick prayer that his friends wouldn’t be disappointed in him but he wasn’t sure if God was even listening. The door opened and he forced himself not to cringe at the sound of Miller’s voice.

“Still hanging in there, I see,” his nemesis declared. “I must say that I’m glad; I promised Agent Gibbs that you would be alive.”

Tony licked his parched lips. “Gibbs?”

“He’s going to be joining us shortly.”

“What?”

“I thought you might like a little company. After all, no one should die alone. Just ask Sydney.”

“I told you…not to…say her name,” Tony angrily rasped. He wished that his voice sounded stronger so Miller would take his warning to heart; the young man sounded like a chipmunk with laryngitis and there was no way that Jason Miller would be intimidated by a rodent.

“Why don’t you stop me?” Miller challenged.

“As soon as I’m…free…I’m going to…”

“What are you going to do, Tony? Please tell me. Do you think I’m honestly scared of a grown man who wets his pants?”

Tony’s face burnt crimson red but he refused to give into the temptation to hurl a string of curses at his enemy. Giving Miller the satisfaction of a sharp-tongued retort would simply take what little energy that he managed to conserve in order to keep standing.

“What do you think your Boss is going to say when he sees that his senior field agent can’t hold the contents of his bladder?” Miller continued to taunt. “Of course it won’t be a problem in the future because you’ll be dead.”

“I think…you’re mistaken. You’re the one…who’s going to die. I’ll make sure of it,” Tony vowed.

“And who’s going to kill me? You?” Miller’s laughter filled the small room.

“You…won’t be laughing…when I put a bullet…through your brain.”

“Ah Tony, I truly missed your unique sense of humor.”

“It’s one of…my better…qualities.”

“I’m sure your Boss will agree,” Miller stated. “He seems to genuinely like you, Tony. He’s wiling to meet me unarmed and alone just for the chance to play our game.”

Tony managed a weak grin. “Hope you know…that Gibbs…doesn’t lose…ever.”

“There’s a first time for everything.”

He closed his eyes, hoping that when he opened them that Miller would be gone. Of course, the way his luck was going, Tony figured that his wish wouldn’t come true. He slowly opened his eyes and met his tormentor’s hardened gaze. “Just remember that I don’t lose, especially at my own game.”

“Over confidence…can be…a real killer,” Tony reminded him,

Miller glanced up at the clock. “I’ve got to go and meet Agent Gibbs. You hang tight.” His captor began to laugh again. “Get it? Hang tight?”

Tony swallowed back the bile that had crept up to the back of his throat. “You’re a…real…comedian.”

“Well don’t worry; I’m not going to quit my day job.”

“You have a job?” Tony snorted.

He struggled to remain still when Miller approached him and gently patted his cheek. “Yep. My job is watching you die.”

“You’re going to be…awfully disappointed…when I don’t die. I…don’t give up that…easy.”

“So I’ve noticed,” Miller sighed as he headed towards the door.

Tony listened for the door to close signaling that he was alone once again. He welcomed the silence as he continued to concentrate on staying alive; he had made a promise to Sydney that he wouldn’t let Jason Miller win and he intended to keep his word.

The agent found himself comforted by the fact that Gibbs would be here soon and although he didn’t like the idea of the team leader putting himself at risk and felt guilty for being the cause of Gibbs’ disregarding his own safety, he was grateful that he wouldn’t have to fight this battle by himself. Once again, Gibbs had come through for him and Tony would forever be in his debt.

“Did you hear that Syd?” he whispered. “Gibbs is on his way.”

“I knew it would only be a matter of time before he showed up. He’s not going to let you go without a fight.”

Despite the unbearable agony that he was being forced to endure, the fact that he could still hear her voice inside his head brought a smile to his face.

“Still…not used to having…people fight for me.”

“You’re worth fighting for.”

Sydney always hated the times that he allowed his insecurities to control his thoughts; he could still hear the slight irritation in her voice as she insisted that he wasn’t worthless. “I may believe that…one of these…days. I didn’t…fight hard…enough for you and Sean.”

“Tony, the only person to blame is Jason Miller; our deaths were not your fault.”

“Maybe you should…have listened to…your parents. They knew I was…trouble.”

“If I had listened to them, we wouldn’t have what little time we had together. I wouldn’t trade what we had for anything.”

“But you would be alive.”

“You don’t know that.”

Tony started to shrug but caught himself in time, knowing that even the slightest movement could end his life. “Almost forgot where…I was.”

“You’ve only got a little while longer, Tony. You’re doing great.”

He licked his tears as they streamed down his cheeks onto his cracked lips. “When I get out…of here, I’m coming to…see you.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m going…to go see…your markers,” Tony cried. “Yours and Sean’s. I’ve never…seen them. Your dad…never let me.”

“They’re just stone; Sean and I will always be with you in your heart and in your memories. That’s what matters.”

“I know. It’s just something…I need…to do. I should have…stood up to your dad…but it was too much to handle…”

“I understand.”

Tony’s eyes started to close but he forced them open, afraid to fall asleep. “Syd?”

“Yeah?”

“Can you…can you stay with me until Gibbs…gets here?”

“Sure I can, babe.”

“I always loved it when you called me that.”

“It suits you. You are definitely a ‘babe’. At least that’s what I told Shannon and she agreed.”

He smiled at the thought of Sydney and Shannon talking about him in such a manner. “So, what does Shannon say…about Gibbs?”

Shannon laughed. “She says that he’s hot. Something about that Marine hair cut.”

“Has to be the…hair,” Tony agreed. “Sydney?”

“Yeah?”

Tony tightly clenched his eyes, trying to hold back the sobs that wanted to wrack his body; the need to remain immobile taking precedence over his emotional release. “I love you,” he quietly cried.

He could almost feel her placing a kiss on top of his head like she would often do when he doubted himself. At that moment, Tony would have given anything to hold her once again when he heard her whisper, “I love you, too.”