- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
a happy ending...or not?
Weeks past and the only words shared between the two were to do with work and nothing else.
It wasn’t until Kate was almost killed during a shoot out on the roof with Ari’s men that Gibbs finally realised how much he cared about Kate. He sits back in his seat starring at the blank computer screen.

EARLIER
“ Shooter” Kate yells as she drops her shot gun and jumps in front of Gibbs as a shooter behind a tin door takes a shot at him. Gibbs turned around to see Kate fall to the ground. He shot the person responsible for shooting her, then made sure there was no one else. He and Tony made their way over to Kate. Gibbs turned over her limp body to find the bullet caught in her vest.
“ Aww’ Kate moaned as a hand went to her head. Tony and Gibbs helped her up onto her feet, and she brushed herself off. As Tony and Kate we saying how close that was Gibbs’ gut was turning. He grabbed Kate’s arm and pulled her down. Seconds later a gun shot was heard and a bullet whizzed past them.

PRESENT

He opened his eyes and knew what he had to do. There was only one thing to do.
He went down to autopsy.
“ Ducky” he calls out as he enters the doors.
“ Jethro” Ducky replies.
“ Where’s Kate?” he asks looking around the room.
“ She went home about half an hour ago. I told her she should go to the hospital but she insisted that she was fine” he explained to Gibbs. Gibbs turned to leave when he was stopped by Ducky’s question.
“ Is everything alright Jethro?”
“ I hope so” he said before leaving.
**
Kate sits on her couch with a wine glass in her hand and soft jazz music playing. She is trying to forget the events of today. Her thoughts are interrupted by a knock at her door.
“ Gibbs” she exclaimed as she saw him standing there.
“ Can I come in?”
“ Sure” she said standing aside to let him in. He walked straight into the lounge room where he observed his surroundings.
“ Is that what your using to make that headache disappear?” he asks looking at the glass of wine, next to a half empty bottle.
“ Gibbs what I do is none of your business. No what do you want?” she said walking over to the lounge and sitting back down.
“ To talk” he simply said.
“ Well talk” she ordered him. She doesn’t know why she was being so mean. Maybe it’s the fact that he lied to her or the fact that she saved his life and she didn’t even get a thankyou, although he did save her life to.
“ Kate, I’m sorry. I didn’t want you to find out like that. I didn’t want you to find out at all” .
“ But why. I just don’t get why Jethro” she said sadly.
“ I didn’t want you to feel sorry for me like everyone else does. I didn’t want it to stop us from being us, but it did” he continued looking at her. Kate was watching him in amazement. She has never seen him like this, so open and emotional. Maybe the scare on the roof top changed him.
“ Katie out of all the things I want to tell you there is one that has been long overdue…I love you” he said it was ease. His eyes filled with so much love and hurt. Kate gasped at the sound of the 3 words.
“ Jethro, I love you” she said getting up off the lounge to hug and kiss him.
“ Kate there is something else” he says as he lets her go and holds her hands. He gets down on one knee.
“ Kate, I want you to be my last and I want it to be for the rest of our lives. Will you marry me?” he asks pulling out a little whit fuzzy box that held a beautiful gold diamond ring.
“ Oh my god Gibbs. Yes, yes” she replies pulling Gibbs off his knee and kisses him again.
“ That’s a very nice ring, I must say” came that voice they both knew and hated. They turned around and saw the man who they were hunting earlier today.
“ Didn’t your mother ever teach you to lock your door Caitlin” he said with a grin.
“ What do you want?” Kate said calmly. Gibbs stared at him watching his body language and taking in the gun slung over his shoulder. He saw Ari snarl.
“ You dead” he said slyly before raising his gun and shooting. Gibbs fell to the ground taking Kate with him. He reached onto his belt and grabbed his gun and shot at Ari, hitting him in the chest.
Gibbs slowly stood up and paced over to where Ari’ body laid. He kicked his foot to see if he was actually dead, thankfully he was.
Kate slowly got up holding her head.
“ Is he dead?” she asked looking at Gibbs.
“ Yes” he said. He turned around and saw her holding her head. He went over to her and put an arm around her to help her stay up.
“ Are you ok?”
“ I think I should go to the hospital now” she said with a laugh. Gibbs smiled and kissed her forehead.
The sound of sirens could be heard in the far distance. Kate’s neighbours would have called them after hearing the gun shots.