- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
7 Months later...

Abby and Eric, as well as everyone else are back in Mexico for the wedding ceremony as promised by Abby 7 months earlier.

There are sure to be some awesome surprises...plus, a surprise (and somewhat unwelcome) visit from a 'shadow' from Abby's past...
"What Had To Be Done, Part Ten -- I Do"

--Chapter Twenty-Four--

It was a beautiful Friday morning down on the beach in front of Mike and Gibbs' place(s). Everyone had traveled down for the momentous event.

There wasn't a huge guest list, but there were quite a few people attending the wedding. Mike and his family, Tobias Fornell, Gibbs (of course), Tony, Ziva, and Talia were there too.

Tony and Ziva had just recently discovered that Ziva was expecting their second child. And the happy couple were even happier now.

McGee and Alicia were also in attendance, and Alicia was now just a little less than two months away from her due date--and showing it proudly.

Even Director Leon Vance and his family had come down for the special occasion.

Also in attendance were the members of the NCIS: L.A. division--and Abby's current work-mates--G. Callen, Sam Hanna, Nate Getz, Kensi Blye, their LAPD Liaison Marty Deeks, and of course--Hetty Lange.

Also Abby's mother, Gloria (who's deaf), and her brother Alex were there too; as well as several members of Eric's family too.

Abby had also invited a 'special friend'--as she often referred to him. Even though Gibbs wasn't exactly jumping-up-and-down thrilled about the idea, Abby had insisted that they invite Jackson Gibbs. Also Abby had asked Gibbs to invite Maddie Tyler--his daughter Kelly's best (childhood) friend--since the two of them had kept in touch over the years since their last encounter, and Gibbs did consider Maddie to be a part of his 'extended family'.

A tent had been set up for the preacher, and the bride and groom to stand under for the ceremony; and seats had also been set up in nice, neat rows for the 'audience'.

In Gibbs' shack/house Abby, Ziva, Kensi, and Alicia were getting ready for the ceremony to begin. Abby and Eric had decided to go 'casual' for the dress code, but Abby still wanted to wear all black.

The Matron-of-Honor and the Bridesmaids would all be wearing black, silk shirts over white Capri-Pants. Alicia had to have special augmentations made to her outfit to accommodate her blossoming belly.

Gibbs stood in the doorway as Ziva and Kensi helped Abby, standing in front of a makeshift mirror that Gibbs had rigged up, make a few last minute adjustments to her outfit. Gibbs smiled at the Goth Forensic Specialist staring at herself in the mirror.

"There." Ziva said, giving the material around Abby's legs/knees one last, little tug to make sure that it was tight.

The outfit that Abby was currently wearing consisted of a real frilly, lacy top (Black of course), and a pair of custom-tailored tight Black Capri-Pants (not exactly Abby's style, but hey it would do the trick). There was also a veil, but she had not yet put it on.

"How do I look?" Abby asked, finally turning around to face Gibbs.

Gibbs chuckled. "I think you look great, Abs." Gibbs reassured her.

"You look beautiful, Abby." Ziva agreed, with a big smile.

"Not exactly what I would wear if it were my wedding," Kensi commented, wiggling her hand in the air. "But on you--I guess it works." she added, with a chuckle.

"I think you look fabulous Abby." Alicia said, laying a hand atop her belly, as she shifted her weight from one side to the other.

"Mommy," the now three year old D.J. whined from the corner-spot where he was sitting, playing with a few of the small toys that Abby and Eric had brought along to keep him occupied during the 'boring' parts.

"Yes pumpkin?" Abby replied, sweetly, looking over at her blond-haired son.

"Thirsty." he said, pointing to his sippy-cup, which sat just out of his reach on top of a set of 'thrift-store' Chest-of-Drawers.

"You want your juice?" Abby said, crossing to the Chest-of-Drawers, and picking up the sippy cup.

She looked down at her son, who just nodded a non-verbal yes to his mother.

"What do we say?" she asked, softly, eying the blue-eyed boy, as she stooped down closer to his level.

The little boy sat in silence for a brief moment, with a thoughtful expression on his face, before speaking.

"Pleeaasee?" he said, an unsure tone to his voice, as he held his hands out in front of him.

Abby handed the little boy his sippy cup. D.J. took it, and started to raise it to his lips for a drink.

"And?" Abby prodded the little boy further, arching an eyebrow at him.

Again with the thoughtful expression.

"Thank you." the little boy replied, a little more sure of himself this time, and grinning a little bit (more).

"Good boy." Abby said, sweetly, a big smile spreading across her face, as she playfully ruffled the 3 year old's semi-curly blond hair.

The little boy giggled delightedly as he stuck the spout of the sippy-cup between his lips and drank (from it).

"Ooo," Alicia grunted, then chuckled lightly.

Abby turned to look at Alicia.

"Baby pains?" Abby asked, with a small grin.

"I'll say." Alicia agreed, with a nod. "I swear, sometimes, in the shower, I catch myself searching for bruises." she chuckled.

"I'm telling you this one's a boy--I just know it." Alicia added. (Her and McGee had decided early on that they did not want to know until the day of--they wanted its gender to be a surprise).

"I felt the same way when I was pregnant with Talia," Ziva pointed out. "But, I was wrong." she added, with a chuckle.

"Yeah, its funny." Abby commented. "I mean D.J. kicked, but I don't ever remember it really bothering me all that much."

"Makes sense." Kensi remarked. "I've always felt like girls are way tougher than guys."

"Well I wouldn't want 'my' angel to be anything but sweet and innocent." Abby said lovingly, as she turned and blew a kiss at her son.

Everyone in the room laughed.

"Say, Ziva, where is Talia?" Alicia asked, looking around the room, but not seeing the now 4 year old little girl.

"Oh," Ziva said. "When I came in here...she was outside playing with--oh great, now I can not think of his name-" she said, slightly exasperated, as she tried to remember the man's name.

"What's he look like?" Kensi asked.

"Tall, kind of cute, blond hair--a little messy though--and kind of acts like a kid-" Ziva thought for a moment, describing the man's features.

"Deeks!" Kensi exclaimed, shocked.

"That is him." Ziva replied, snapping her fingers in a 'Eureka' kind of fashion.

"You left her with Deeks!?" Kensi exclaimed again.

Abby laughed.

"Was I wrong?" Ziva asked, her brows knit-together with concern.

Kensi shook her head. "You'd have been better off leaving her with a shark." Kensi stated.

Ziva suddenly looked a little more concerned.

Abby chuckled again. "I'm sure she's fine, Ziva." Abby said, reassuringly. "Kensi's just--over-reacting is all."

Kensi crossed her arms in front of her chest. "I don't think so."

"In any case," Ziva said, as she walked to the door of the shack.

Gibbs stepped out of Ziva's way. Ziva stepped just outside the door, and looked up and down the beach for her daughter.

"Tali!" she called.

Just then Marty Deeks rounded the corner of the shack/house from the right-side. He spun around and started walking backwards slowly. He seemed to be breathing a little heavily than normal. "You're not gonna get me this time." Deeks sneered in a low voice.

"Deeks!" Ziva called his name a little loudly.

"Whoa!" Deeks yelled, startled by Ziva's voice.

Startled, Deeks spun around, a little too quickly perhaps, and ended up falling flat on his back in the sand.

"Mrs. DiNozzo--I-I didn't see you standing-" Deeks started to say.

At that moment little Talia bolted out from around the same corner of the shack. About mid-way she jumped into the air, and then came down square on Deeks' chest.

"-Ooof." Deeks groaned, as Talia landed on his chest.

"I got you!" the little girl squealed delightedly at her victory.

"You sure did squirt--you got me again." Deeks said, with a laugh.

"Tali," Ziva snapped, stamping her foot. "It is not nice to 'jump' on people." Ziva reprimanded her daughter, narrowing her eyes.

"Naw, its okay." Deeks assured Ziva, with a smile. "We were just having some fun is all--right squirt?"

Talia nodded with a smile, her eyes sparkling. "Lots of fun." she added.

After a beat or two, Ziva finally waved her hand at the pair, and dismissed them to continue playing their 'game'. "Very well then." Ziva said, hiding a smile, as she turned and headed back inside--but then stopped and looked back over her shoulder.

"Be Careful." she added, seriously.

Deeks laughed, as he struggled to his feet (having removed Talia from his chest), and tried to dash away before she could regain her feet. Talia giggled delightedly as she pulled herself up and started to chase after him again.





On the other side, in Mike's shack/house the guys were getting ready. Eric had decided that his 'wedding outfit' would be a flowered shirt and real nice khaki shorts--the Best Man and the Groomsmen would follow suit.

"I gotta say Eric," Tony said, looking at himself in the make-shift mirror that Gibbs had put in Mike's shack/house. "I'm lovin' this look man!"

"Tell me McGee," Tony said, whipping out a pair of dark sunglasses from his back pocket. "Who do I look like?"

McGee looked a little confused by Tony's question, at first, but it soon occurred to him just what Tony meant.

"No, Tony--Please?" McGee pleaded. "Not-"

Tony placed the sunglasses over his eyes with a flourish, and then smiled a big 'DiNozzo' smile, as he continued to study himself in the mirror.

"That's right," Tony smirked. "John Magnum." he grinned. "All I'm missing is a bright red Ferrari." he added, with a chuckle.

"Aren't you forgetting something, Tony?" McGee asked, rolling his eyes at Tony. "Magnum P.I. took place in Hawaii--you're in Mexico." McGee pointed out.

"Ah, Don't be such a buzz-kill McParty-Pooper." Tony chided him. "Unless, that is, you want me to put you on 'desk duty' when we get back?"

"For how long?" McGee asked, weighing the options in his head.

Tony thought for a moment. "3 weeks." he said finally.

"Nope." McGee said, shaking his head. "Still worth it."

Tony turned away from the mirror, and walked towards McGee.

"Well, I'm not usually one to brag, but--I do have exceptional taste." Eric remarked, as he looked himself over in the mirror.

Nate was sitting nearby on the homemade Cot (made by Gibbs) that Mike usually slept on.

"Hmm. Subject is a pathological liar, and seems to be consumed by his own 'Delusions of Grandeur'." Nate noted, from where he was sitting.

"I should probably put that in your Psych Profile." Nate added, with a grin.

Eric rolled his eyes at his friend. "Ha Ha." Eric retorted.

Everyone laughed.

"Indeed you should, Mr. Getz." came a familiar voice from the doorway.

Mike Franks had been watching the whole thing for quite some time, but now he decided that he was tired of watching, and so it was time for him to leave the shack.

Mike passed Hetty Lange, who stepped to one side to allow him passage out of the shack, as he approached the door(way).

"I've had enough of these goofballs for one day." Mike grumbled as he walked passed Hetty.

"Why not get a refreshing beverage from the refreshment table, Mr. Franks." Hetty suggested, with a nudge.

"Yeah. I think I'll just do that." Mike replied.

"If I may, Mr. Getz," Hetty said, finally, turning her attention back to the other men in the room/shack/house. "Perhaps we should 'let him slide' on this one--don't you think?"

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt." Nate agreed, though still considering the possibilities.

"I mean, after all, today is about him and Ms. Scuito--is it not?" Hetty added, with a grin.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Nate agreed, with a smile.

"Its settled then," Hetty said, clapping her hands together. "Now, I trust you gentlemen are ready to proceed then?" she asked, smiling.

"Ready as we'll ever be I guess." Eric replied, turning to look at Hetty.

"Yep," Tony said, slapping Eric on the back. "I think its time we get this party started--don't you?"

Eric rolled his eyes, but grinned. "I'm ready--if you guys are ready."

"Good then," Hetty smiled. "Then, if you gentlemen would be so kind as to follow me--we will 'get this party started' as Mr. DiNozzo so kindly put it." she added, motioning towards the door.





Outside, everyone else was moving around, and getting seated and situated--taking their places/positions--as they had been notified that the ceremony was about to commence.

Jackson Gibbs hobbled, with his cane, up to the second row from the front on the right-hand side of the seating area.

The first seat on the second row was empty, but the second seat was taken--by Maddie Tyler--who had just taken her seat where Gibbs had asked her too earlier that morning.

"This seat taken, young lady?" Jackson Gibbs asked, tapping the empty chair with his cane.

Maddie looked up at Jackson Gibbs from her seat.

"Um, yes sir. It is." she told him politely.

"Saving it for someone then?" he asked.

"Yes sir. For Mr. Gibbs." she replied, with a sweet smile.

Jackson Gibbs chuckled.

"For Mr. Gibbs, me, or Mr. Gibbs my son?" he asked, quizzically.

Maddie was confused, at first, but then a knowing smile spread across her face.

"I am so sorry," she apologized, blushing a little bit. "Its been so long--I didn't recognize you." she explained. "You're--Kelly's Grandfather, right?"

"I am." Jackson replied, kindly.

"Again," Maddie said, standing up and making room for Jackson Gibbs to make his way down to take her seat. "I am so sorry." she apologized again.

Jackson Gibbs just laughed, sweetly, at Maddie's embarrassment.

"That's quite alright." he reassured her. "No, no you keep your seat," he told her, moving past her. "I'll just sit here." he said, pointing to the next seat down.

"Maddie isn't it?" Jackson Gibbs asked, as he seated himself in the chair.

"Yes sir." she replied sweetly, with a smile.

"I remember the couple of times that you actually came up to Kelly's to visit for Christmas--she always wanted me to be there." Maddie recalled. "But--it feels like its been so long since then." she commented.

"It does feel that way doesn't it?" Jackson Gibbs mused.

"How did you know who I was?" she asked, honestly.

Jackson Gibbs laughed heartily, and smiled sweetly at Maddie. "You may have grown up since the last time we saw each other," he said. "But I never forget a face." he said, with a wink.

"So you and Leroy still keep in touch eh?" Jackson Gibbs mused.

"Well yes," she replied. "He helped me quite a while back; and then a couple of years later my Father passed away--at the same time as I was going through a nasty break-up with my boyfriend--I was driving around aimlessly for hours-" she explained to Jackson Gibbs.

"I see." he said, quietly, with a nod.

"My mom found my laptop with my things--because I had come home to stay with her for a while (ya know for the Funeral and stuff)--and she found where I had written Mr. Gibbs' numbers down for emergency, and...she called him." Maddie continued to explain. "He's the one who found me, finally--at Kelly's grave."

"Hmm." Jackson Gibbs nodded, with a knowing look on his face. "I sometimes go to my wife's grave, whenever I need to do some heavy-thinking." he told her.

Jackson Gibbs chuckled to himself.

"She always was a good listener," he recalled, fondly. "Guess that's probably where I learned it from." he commented, with a warm smile.

"Its always nice to have a best friend you can talk to--about anything." Jackson Gibbs said, with a knowing smile at Maddie.

Maddie just nodded in agreement.






Near the area where the 'rental cars/SUVs' that most everyone had used to reach the location that they were currently staying at--a dark, hooded figure moved around in between the rows of cars trying to stay hidden--as he made his way in the direction of the shack(s).

No one knew that the 'dark figure' would soon try to destroy the momentous occassion that was taking place on this very day.






Back inside Gibbs' shack/house the ladies were lining up, and getting ready to head outside once the signal was finally given. They had had to call Talia inside just a few moments before to get her ready really quickly--because she was supposed to be the 'Flower Girl', and throw 'Black Rose Petals' all down the aisle.





The guys had already made their way outside, and were standing in their positions at the head of the setup. The preacher stood underneath the tent awaiting the arrival of the bride so that the main portion of the ceremony could finally begin.

"You've got the ring right?" Eric whispered to McGee out of the corner of his mouth.

"Yep." McGee replied, patting his coat pocket gingerly.





The ladies were now beginning their walk out of the shack/house, all lined up, when Abby suddenly noticed something was wrong.

Everyone else had already exited the shack/house before her, but Gibbs was no where to be found--he was supposed to walk Abby down the aisle.

"Where's Gibbs?" Abby thought, aloud, turning around towards her 3 year old son who was still sitting in the corner playing with his toys. "Have YOU seen Gibbs?" she asked her soon sweetly (rhetorically of course).

The little boy just smiled, and shook his head at his mother. Then suddenly he dropped the toy that he was currently holding in his hand to the floor.

"What's a matter sweetie?" Abby asked her son, his behavior unsettling her a little bit.

"Abby," came a familiar voice from behind her.

Abby knew that voice. She knew that voice all too well--even though she had tried to forget it (all together). It made a chill run down her spine, and she tried to swallow a lump that had formed in her throat.

"Y-You." she stammered, trying again to swallow the lump in her throat.

"That's right--its me Abby." the stranger spoke again, a little bit louder this time.

"What are you doing here, Mikel?" she asked, trying to sound as calm as she possibly could. "You know you're not-"

"I-I found out that you were getting married," he told her, the words just spilling out.

"You hacked my computer again didn't you!?" She said angrily.

"I'm really sorry Abby," he apologized. "I promise I won't do it again." he promised her.

"Why?"

"I had to see you again," he told her. "You had to see ME again." he added.

"And why's that Mikel?" Abby demanded.

"Because, I knew that if you saw me, one last time, before you go through with the wedding--you would realized that you do still love me--and that, you and I, we're the ones supposed to be getting married." he rambled on. "Not you and HIM!" he said, pointing out the door(way).

"You're delusional Mikel!" She snapped, angrily. "You know that's never gonna happen!"

"I'm so sorry to hear that Abby," Mikel said, his voice dropping an octave or two. He sounded a little defeated and depressed. "I-I really am." he muttered.

"I didn't want to have to do this," he whined. "But--you don't leave me any other choice."

"Mikel-" Abby started to say, slowly.

"And don't bother calling for that insufferable old man," Mikel said coldly. "I've already taken care of HIM."

Fear crept into Abby's face. "Gibbs." she thought to herself. "What has Mikel done to Gibbs?" she wondered to herself--panic creeping into her thoughts.

Abby turned around, finally, to face Mikel. She saw that he had pulled his hoodie down so that she could see his face, and that he was holding a long knife in one hand.

"Mikel, you don't have to do this." Abby tried.

"No I have too." he insisted. "If I can't have you--then no one can."

The 3 year old little boy, still sitting in the corner of the room silently, apparently sensed his mother's distress because at that moment he started to cry.

Abby spun around towards the child, and quickly made her way over to his side, stooping down in front of him.

"Oohh, its okay," Abby cooed, as she reached the 3 year old's side. "It's okay--Mommy's here, Mommy's here. Sshhh." She patted his head gently.

She knew why he was crying. She had read in one of her baby books that young children often pick up on the emotions and emotional states of their parents at certain times--like how one parent reacts to a certain stimulus--and they replicate that emotion themselves, and react accordingly. She tried her best to appear and sound calm and unafraid, but it was harder than she had expected it to be. But she tried her best to calm her son.

"He's--He's yours!" Mikel stammered angrily, hurt somewhat. "Abby, how could you-"

"M-Mikel-" Abby now tried to calm him down as well, but her voice wavered a little bit.

The little boy was now so scared that he had actually stopped crying, and was pulling himself towards his mother desperately.

"How could you have OUR child, with--with HIM!" Mikel spat angrily at her.

Now Mikel began to take steps towards Abby and D.J.






Outside, people were starting to get a little anxious (and maybe even a little worried) when Abby didn't come out of the shack (with Gibbs). People started asking questions, and looking around and what not.

"What's taking Abby so long?" Tony asked, in a hushed voice, peering around behind the preacher at Ziva (who was standing just across the way on the Bride's side of the Preacher's podium).

"I don't know." Ziva replied, out of the corner of her mouth. "She was right behind us the last time I looked."

"What about Gibbs?" McGee chimed in, quietly.

"He--he wasn't in there when we left." Kensi pointed out.

"Maybe he was just a little late getting in there to get her." Nate suggested.

"Late. Gibbs." McGee repeated.

"McGee's right." Tony admitted, gritting his teeth. "Gibbs is never late--for anything."

Tony had a bad feeling now. He could feel his insides beginning to churn and roll.

"Something's wrong." Tony said finally. "We might need to check this out." he added.





Meanwhile...
Behind Gibbs' shack/house Gibbs was lying face down in the sand wearing the good shirt and good baggy shorts that he had picked out to wear for the wedding. He had been on his way back over, from Mike's shack/house, where he had run over (really quickly) to change into his 'wedding outfit' when he was jumped/attacked by Mikel Mawher, and hidden behind his own home.

Gibbs groaned, and then began to move, little-by-little, until he had completely rolled over onto his back. His knife wound, inflicted by Mawher, was now visible. Mawher had stabbed Gibbs twice in the side, and then beaned over the head with a nice-sized rock to render him unconscious.







--Chapter Twenty-Five--

Mikel was advancing towards Abby and D.J. now, holding his knife up in front of him.

Abby scooped up her son into her arms, and stood up--holding her precious little three year old tight against her chest--both arms wrapped securely around his little body.

"Mikel," she pleaded, her voice cracking a little bit. "Please don't do this--please-"

"Why, Abby--" Mikel croaked angrily.

"He's just a baby Mikel--Don't-" Abby tried again, her voice still cracking and tears forming in her eyes. She was scared, but not for herself--for her child. She would give anything to protect her little angel.

"He's not pure Abby!" Mikel screamed, angrily. He spat, disgustedly, onto the floor. "His blood is tainted! We have to kill him Abby, you know that!"

Now Abby's fear was draining away, as she clutched her son in her arms, only to be replaced with anger and hatred. At this point it seemed that her protective maternal instincts were starting to kick in to overdrive.

"Don't come any closer!" she snarled. "If you TOUCH my son," Abby spat angrily. "I swear to God Mikel--I swear to God I'll kill you!" she threatened loudly and menacingly.

Then suddenly a new shadow appeared in the room, and loomed over Mikel Mawher; but Mikel was too angry and too caught up/focused on what he was doing that he did not take any notice at all. He raised the knife that he was holding over his head, now that he was in striking-range.

"I'm sorry Abby." Mikel whispered.

Just then a pair of arms shot out of nowhere, and seized Mikel without warning. One hand grabbed the hand/wrist containing the knife, and the other arm quickly curled itself around Mikel's throat.

It was everything that he had in him just to do this much.

Mikel struggled against Gibbs' fierce grip.

"Gibbs." Abby exclaimed, surprised.

"Abby," Gibbs grunted. "Run!"

Just then Mikel stomped on Gibbs' foot, and slammed the elbow of his free arm into Gibbs' stomach.

Abby screamed, and quickly ducked out of the way, and headed for the door(way).

Gibbs faltered back, and Mikel was able to regain his own balance and then give chase after Abby.






Outside the shack/house Tony, Sam, and Callen were making their way up the beach back towards Gibbs' place when they all heard Abby scream. They immediately broke from a jog into a full run.

"Abby!" Callen and Tony yelled out, as they ran.

Just then Abby came bursting through the door(way) of the shack/house, and ran right in their direction with Mikel close on her heels.

"Not this loser again." Tony groaned.

Abby ran past the three guys first, and then Mikel approached them running at full speed. Sam ducked to one side, and threw his arm out in a 'Clothes-Line' maneuver. Mikel was sent sprawling backwards to the ground after he slammed, hard, into Sam's muscular arm.

Tony had hung back when he saw Abby coming--and a good thing he did too--she nearly fell over into the sand when she reached the spot where he was; and he had to catch her and D.J.

"Abby," Tony said, catching her in mid-fall. "Abby, are you alright?"

Abby nodded, still cradling her son in her arms.

Callen and Sam were now locked in a fight with Mikel who had managed to grab his long knife once again, and scramble back up to his feet.

"Easy now," Callen said calmly, just before he dodged another swipe of Mikel's knife.

"Get away from me!" Mikel screamed. "She's mine!"

"I don't think so pal." Callen countered, as he moved in to strike.

MIkel dodged out of the way, and flipped his wrist sideways so that the hard-butt of the knife slammed into the side of Callen's face. Callen went sprawling backwards into the sand. Sam, next, tried to move in, but Mikel managed to slither out of that one too just like the annoying little snake he is/was.

Sam fell forward into the sand, but then quickly began to scramble back up to his feet.

Mikel spun around and darted towards where Tony and Abby were standing. Tony saw Mikel coming, and quickly turned himself in front of Abby, putting himself between them, kind of like a shield.

"Sam!" Callen called out, just beginning to pull himself back up. "Stop him!"

"Already on it!" Sam called back, but just then he stopped short.

Gibbs staggered through the sand as fast as he could past Sam, a cold stare fixed in his steely-blue eyes. Then, just before Mikel could reach Abby and Tony a pair of arms wrapped around him, and lifted him high up into the air.

With a growl Gibbs lifted Mikel into the air, spun him a little ways, and then slammed him back down, hard, into the sand on his back. Then he dropped to his knees, wrapping one hand and then the other around Mikel's throat--and applied great pressure.

"No more! You're not getting away this time you little bastard!" Gibbs barked angrily in Mikel's face.

Mikel struggled, fiercely, against Gibbs' strong grip; but to no avail. He tried to raise his knife against Gibbs, but Gibbs just raised his hand and swatted the weapon away.

"Raising a knife to my family," Gibbs spat angrily. "The last mistake YOU'LL ever make. I promise you that."

Mikel struggled a little bit longer, but then finally he stopped flailing around, and his whole body went limp beneath Gibbs. Gibbs panted heavily, as he tried to pull himself up and away from the lifeless body; but he didn't get too far before he collapsed to his knees again, clutching at his side.

Everyone else down on the beach had been alerted to what was going on by now, and several people were now running towards the commotion.

Abby was looking at the scene now, and she was horrified when Gibbs collapsed to his knees.

"Gibbs!" she screamed. She tried to run to the silver-haired former NCIS agent, but Tony held her back.

"No Abby," Tony said, holding her back. "D.J. doesn't need to see him like this." Tony explained.

"I'm fine Abs," Gibbs reassured her, still breathing heavily. "I'm--I'm fine."

"Gibbs, you alright?" Callen asked, as he and Sam reached Gibbs' side.

"He's bleeding G." Sam pointed out, just noticing the two holes in the side of Gibbs' shirt.

"Ah," Gibbs grunted, wincing from the pain, as Sam pulled his shirt up so that they could get a better look at the wound(s).

"We need to get you patched up, quick." Callen said. "Come on, lets' get'em inside Sam."

Tobias Fornell and Mike Franks came up to Tony's side at about that time, and saw Mikel Mawher's lifeless body laying there in the sand.

"Think you guys can get rid of that somehow?" Tony asked, motioning with his head to the body.

Tobias looked at Mike.

"I think that can be arranged--what do you think Mike?" Tobias remarked.

"Don't see why not." Mike replied, looking the body over. "As long as I get to keep the knife." he added.

"Its all yours." Abby said, looking away from the scene.








--Chapter Twenty-Six--

Gibbs sat on his old homemade cot just inside his shack/house. Sam had brought out the first aid kit, and he and Callen were dressing Gibbs' wounds as best as they could.

"There." Callen said finally, pulling away from Gibbs. "You did lose a good bit of blood--how do you feel?"

Gibbs groaned, as he pulled himself back upright once again. "Like a damn pin-cushion." he remarked, as he looked down at the stitch work the guys had done on him.

Sam chuckled. "Well, at least he hasn't lost his sense of humor."

"Gibbs." Abby said quietly, as she entered the shack/house.

"Abs." Gibbs said, looking up.

Abby ran over to Gibbs, and threw her arms around him and hugged him.

Gibbs hugged her back.

"You okay?" he asked her, quietly.

"Yes sir." she replied, softly. "I-I thought you were--MIkel said--" she could hardly speak for the tears that were choking her up.

"Abs, I'm fine." he reassured her, rubbing a hand gently down her back. "How's D.J.?" he asked, softly.

"He's calmed down," she told Gibbs. "I think that he's still shaken up by everything that happened, but I think he'll be okay."

"Good." Gibbs breathed a sigh of relief.

Gibbs then pushed Abby back a little bit away from him(self).

"Now, where's my shirt?" Gibbs asked, looking around the room. "And why's everyone standing around for--don't we have a wedding to get to?"

"Gibbs, No." Abby said, shaking her head.

She put her hands against his chest, and tried to push against him. "You're hurt." she said. "You're in no condition to do this now." she insisted, pushing him back down onto the cot.

"Abs," Gibbs groaned. "Abs, I'm fine-" he tried to protest.

Abby pulled back a little ways from him, and looked up at his face.

"You're not ready," she insisted. "You need time to rest--to heal." she said.

Abby-" Gibbs tried again.

"She's probably right you know." Sam chimed in, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

"It's okay," she told him. "We'll postpone the wedding, until you get better--and then-"

"Like hell you will!?" Gibbs fumed, jumping up to his feet, and then immediately wishing that he hadn't.

Abby flinched at the harshness of his voice, and shrank back a little bit.

Jackson Gibbs walked through the door at that moment.

"There's no need for yelling, Leroy." Jackson said, calmly.

"You know she's right son." he added.

Gibbs narrowed his eyes at his father from where he was standing--shirtless.

"I made a promise, Dad," Gibbs said angrily. "And I damn well intend to keep that promise."

"I don't doubt that son," Jackson Gibbs replied, calmly. "Frankly, I don't care what you do, one way or the other," Jackson Gibbs told his son. "I know I can't damn well stop you--but you don't have to be such a hard-ass!" Jackson Gibbs said, only raising his voice just a little bit.

Gibbs sighed.

"I know you're tough, she knows you're tough--hell, everyone here knows you're tough," Jackson Gibbs pointed out. "You've got nothing to prove to anyone."

Gibbs looked at Abby, who now had tears completely staining her cheeks at this point. He stepped towards her, and pulled her close to him.

"Abs,"

"Y-Yes," she hiccuped, as she wiped tears from her eyes.

"I'm sorry--I didn't mean to-" he tried to say.

"You came here for your wedding," he said, quietly. "Not to sit around and worry about me."

"B-but Gibbs," she protested.

"Abby, I'm fine--I really am." he said, softly.

She knew that she could not argue with him anyway, it was futile to even really try.

"Y-you promise?" she asked, quietly.

Gibbs kissed her, gently, on the top of the head. "I promise." he said softly.

"Now," he said, pulling back a little ways from her. "Lets go get you married, shall we?" he said, with a small grin.






--Chapter Twenty-Seven--

Everyone had returned to their designated positions as they had before everything seemingly fell apart.

Now, a clean-shaven Gibbs (who had also changed his clothes once again) and Abby walked arm-in-arm down the 'aisle' headed towards where the Preacher and the wedding party were waiting.

They finally reached the end of the aisle, and stopped.

Gibbs smiled, giving Abby a small wink.

Abby slipped her arm out of Gibbs', and then moved to take her place next to Eric as Gibbs moved aside to go stand beside Maddie.

Little D.J. squirmed a little bit in his grandmother's (Gloria's) arms in the very front row.

"We are gathered here in the sight of God and these witnesses to unite Eric and Abigail in holy matrimony. As followers of Jesus Christ, they believe that God created marriage. In Genesis it says, "It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." the Preacher spoke loudly and clearly so that everyone could hear him good.

"Eric and Abigail, as you prepare to take these vows, give careful thought and prayer, for as you make them you are making an exclusive commitment one to the other for as long as you both shall live. Your love for each other should never be diminished by difficult circumstances, and it is to endure until death parts you." the Preacher continued his opening statement(s).

Everyone in the audience, and in the wedding party, stood silent, listening intently to every word that the Preacher said.

"As God's children, your marriage is strengthened by your obedience to your Heavenly Father and His Word. As you let God be in control of your marriage, He will cause your home to be a place of joy and a testimony to the world." he said, drawing his opening statement(s), finally, to a close.

Abby frowned at being called 'Abigail', but didn't say anything about it. It just wasn't worth it right now.

"Let us pray." the Preacher said, bowing his head.

Everyone else in attendance followed suit--bowing their heads as well.

The Preacher said a short, but sweet, prayer.

"Our Father, love has been Your richest and greatest gift to the world. Love between a man and woman which matures into marriage is one of Your most beautiful types of loves. Today we celebrate that love. May your blessing be on this wedding service. Protect, guide, and bless Eric and Abigail in their marriage. Surround them and us with Your love now and always. Amen." The Preacher closed his prayer.

"You may now be seated." The Preacher said softly.

Everyone in the audience sat down in their seats.

"Now," the Preacher said with a warm smile. "Who presents this woman and this man to be married to each other?" he asked, gesturing with his hand from Abby to Eric.

Gibbs stood back up to his feet, grimacing as he did so from the pain of his still throbbing wound(s). Abby's mother also stood to her feet as well as Eric's parents too.

Gibbs reached forward, and placed a hand on Gloria's shoulder gently. Gloria smiled. Gibbs would speak on her behalf.

"We do." Everyone present for the wedding said, semi-loudly, in unison.

There was a brief chuckle that rippled through the audience, but then subsided fairly quickly. Everyone was smiling. Gibbs and the others that were standing sat back down into their seats once again.

Abby and Eric both smiled, very pleased, as they turned back to face the Preacher one again.

The Preacher smiled at the smiling couple standing before him. "Let us begin." he said.

The Preacher opened the ceremony. "Let me charge you both to remember, that your future happiness is to be found in mutual consideration, patience, kindness, confidence, and affection. Eric, it is your duty to love Abigail as yourself, provide tender leadership, and protect her from danger. Abigail, it is your duty to treat Eric with respect, support him, and create a healthy, happy home. It is the duty of each of you to find the greatest joy in the company of the other; to remember that in both interest and affection, you are to be one and undivided."

"Eric and Abigail, you have made a very serious and important decision in choosing to marry each other today. You are entering into a sacred covenant as life partners in God. The quality of your marriage will reflect what you put into nurturing this relationship. You have the opportunity to go forward from this day to create a faithful, kind, and tender relationship. We bless you this day. It is up to you to keep the blessings flowing each and every day of your lives together. We wish for you the wisdom, compassion, and constancy to create a peaceful sanctuary in which you can both grow in love." the Preacher continued, looking from Eric to Abby.

"Now, before our witnesses-" the Preacher said, motioning first to the Bridesmaids, then to the Groomsmen, and then finally out towards the audience. He faced, more or less, Eric now. "Eric, do you understand and accept this responsibility, and do you promise to do your very best each day to create a loving, healthy, and happy marriage?"

Eric grinned. "Yes, I do." he said with a nod.

The Preacher next turned to Abby. "Abigail, do you understand and accept this responsibility, and do you promise to do your very best each day to create a loving, healthy, and happy marriage?"

Abby smiled, and nodded. "Yes, I do."

The Preacher smiled at the couple. "Excellent." he said, softly. "Now, if you will face each other."

Abby and Eric turned to face each other, holding hands in front of the Preacher.

"Do you, Eric Beal, take Abigail Scuito to be your wife? Do you promise to love her, comfort and keep her, and forsaking all other remain true to her as long as you both shall live?"

From the second row came a very muffled "He sure as hell better." then there was the cover up cough(ing).

Eric grinned. "You bet I do!--er--I mean..." he cleared his throat, nervously. "I-I do." he said finally.

"Fine," the Preacher said. "Now repeat after me."

"I, Eric,"

"I Eric," he repeated.

"Take you Abigail,".

"Take you Abigail," Eric repeated the Preacher's words while still holding Abby's hand(s).

"To be my wife, and before God and these witnesses," the Preacher continued.

"To be my wife, and before God and these witnesses," Eric repeated, smiling.

"I promise to be a faithful and true husband." the Preacher finished.

Eric repeated the Preacher's words verbatim.

"Good." the Preacher smiled. "And Abigail,"

"Do you, Abigail Scuito, take Eric Beal to be your husband? Do you promise to love him, comfort and keep him, and forsaking all other remain true to him as long as you both shall live?"

"I Do." Abby said, confidently, smiling.

"Good." the Preacher said. "Now repeat after me."

"I, Abigail,".

"I, Abigail," Abby said frowning at referring to herself by her given name.

"Take you Eric,".

"Take you Eric," she repeated the words.

"To be my husband, and before God and these witnesses,". The Preacher spoke softly.

"To be my husband, and before God and these witnesses," Abby said, repeating the Preacher's words, with a warm smile.

"I promise to be a faithful and true wife." the Preacher said closing it out.

Abby repeated the the words of the closing line as spoken previously by the Preacher. "I promise to be a faithful and true wife."

The Preacher nodded to both sides of the wedding party gently. "The rings." he said softly.

McGee pulled Eric's ring out of his coat pocket, and Ziva pulled Abby's ring out of the pocket of her Capri-Pants.

Eric took the ring from his McGee, his Best Man, and held it up.

"Repeat after me." the Preacher said, motioning from Eric to Abby.

Eric took Abby's hand in his hand, and held the ring just in front of her ring finger.

"With this ring I thee wed,".

"With this ring I thee wed," Eric repeated.

"And all my worldly goods I thee endow."

"and all my worldly goods I thee endow." Eric repeated the Preachers words exactly.

"In sickness and in health," the Preacher said.

"In sickness and in health," Eric repeated the words.

"For richer or for poorer," he continued.

"For richer or for poorer," Eric said.

"And 'til death do us part." the Preacher concluded.

"And 'til death do us part." Eric finished.

The Preacher smiled, and nodded towards Abby. "Go ahead," he told Eric.

Eric gently slid the ring onto Abby's ring finger, and then winked at her.

The Preacher nodded at Eric, and then turned and nodded at Abby.

Abby admired her ring, and then motioned for Ziva to hand over the other ring. Ziva did, and Abby then took Eric's hand just as he had taken hers earlier--holding the ring in the exact same spot as Eric had.

"Now repeat after me," the Preacher said, smiling. "With this ring I thee wed," the Preacher spoke softly.

"With this ring I thee wed," Abby repeated his words.

"And all my worldly goods I thee endow." he continued.

"And all my worldly goods I thee endow." Abby repeated the words.

"In sickness and in health," the Preacher said.

"In sickness and in health," she repeated, still smiling.

"For richer or for poorer," he continued.

"For richer or for poorer," she repeated.

"And 'til death do us part." the Preacher concluded.

"And 'til death do us part." Abby finished.

"Go ahead," the Preacher said, with a slight nod.

Abby gently slid the ring onto Eric's ring finger just as Eric had done to/for her earlier.

The Preacher nodded to both Abby and Eric, and then motioned, with his hand, for Tobias and Mike to bring forth the Unity Candle Set-Up (which had been left setting at the back of the seating area.

Mike and Tobias scurried forward, set the candle stand(s) down in front of the couple who had now turned to face the candles, and then stepped off to the side to await further instructions.

"The Unity Candles," The Preacher spoke, motioning to the candles as he did so.

"The two outside candles have been lighted to represent both your lives in this moment. They are two distinct lights, each capable of going their separate ways. As you join now in marriage, there is a merging of these two lights into one light. This is what the Lord meant when He said, "On this account a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife and the two shall be one flesh." From now on your thoughts shall be for each other rather than your individual selves. Your plans shall be mutual, your joys and sorrows shall be shared alike. As you each take a candle and together light the center one, you will extinguish your own candles, thus letting the center candle represent the union of your lives into one flesh. As this one light cannot be divided, neither shall your lives be divided but a united testimony in a Christian home. May the radiance of this one light be a testimony of your unity in the Lord Jesus Christ." The Preacher concluded his piece on the 'Unity Candles'.

Eric and Abby each picked up a candle, and together lit the center candle just as the Preacher had, earlier, described.

Then, upon a nod from the Preacher, Tobias and Mike removed the candles from the area, and took back to the back of the seating area.

"Now," the Preacher said, smiling warmly at the couple, and then looking up and out at the audience. "Because Eric and Abigail have desired each other in marriage, and have witnessed this before God and our gathering, affirming their acceptance of the responsibilities of such a union, and have pledged their love and faith to each other, sealing their vows in the giving and receiving of rings, I do proclaim that they are husband and wife in the sight of God and man. Let all people here and everywhere recognize and respect this holy union, now and forever."

"Let us pray." the Preacher said next, bowing his head as he did so. "The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift up the light of his continence upon you, and give you peace. In Christ's Holy name. Amen."

Everyone in attendance opened their eyes, and returned their attention to the Preacher and Eric and Abby.

Abby and Eric turned back to face the Preacher once again.

The Preacher motioned from Eric to Abby as he spoke (next).

"Eric," the Preacher said softly, and with a warm smile. "You may now kiss your Bride." he said.

Eric grinned, and he reached up, and lifted Abby's veil up and away from her face. Then he pulled her close--their eyes twinkling in the moment--and then the couple kissed each other.

Once they finished their kiss, and pulled apart (albeit slowly), the Preacher smiled and turned the smiling couple to face the audience.

"It is now my privilege to introduce to you for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Eric Beal." the Preacher said, smiling, as he placed one hand on Eric's shoulder, and his other hand on Abby's shoulder as he spoke.

The entire audience stood to their feet, in unison, and broke out into loud cheers of applause all around. Gibbs beamed proudly at the couple, as he clapped his own hands approvingly.

Abby turned to where her Mother (Gloria) sat. Gloria signed "I Love You." to her daughter in ASL. Then Abby's brother, Andrew, signed "Congratulations," so that she would not have to speak loudly to be heard over the loud noise around them.

Abby signed "I Love You," back to both her Mother and her Brother.

Abby then reached down, and took little D.J. up into her arms--holding him firmly against her hip with her free hand/arm, while her other arm was laced around Eric's arm.

Once that was settled She and Eric proceeded to walk down the 'aisle' slowly together.

Gibbs smiled, as Abby and Eric passed closely by where they were sitting, and then signed "I'm so proud of you, Abs. I Love You."

A single tear rolled down Abby's cheek at Gibbs' 'words'.

Jackson Gibbs clapped his hands together, as he laughed happily at the newly married couple. "I do love a Happy Ending--don't you son?"

Gibbs nodded.

Maddie Tyler also clapped ecstatically for the happy couple.

Hetty smiled proudly, from her spot on the third row next to Leon Vance and his family, as they all clapped their hands in happy approval--as the happy couple passed by them.

"Bravo, Mr. Beal--Bravo." Hetty said, clapping her hands, congratulating the seasoned NCIS Tech Expert.

Leon Vance nodded at the happy couple, and then mouthed the words "Congratulations," to Abby.

After they got a little ways away--the tricky part took place. Because four members of the wedding party were already married to each other, and because Abby had always felt that it might be a little awkward for the Best Man (McGee) to walk the aisle with the Matron-of-Honor (Ziva)--they decided to do their Recessional(s) a little differently than tradition usually dictated.

McGee stepped forward, holding his arm out, and then pregnant Alicia stepped forward and looped her arm through his, and the couple began to make their way down the aisle.

Next up were Tony and Ziva, and of course little Talia. Tony picked Talia up and held the 'Flower Girl' in his free arm, while inter-looping his other arm with Ziva's. The trio then began to make their way down the aisle.

Last, but certainly, not least--were Nate and Kensi. The duo joined arms in the center of the 'staging area' and then began their walk down the aisle.

Let the 'after-party' begin...

--------To Be Continued--------


P.S. I am toying with a storyline that will set Gibbs up for another grand adventure with both NCIS teams about a year or so later. The story will kick off with a missing team member in L.A., and lead the hunt all the way back to Washington D.C. and beyond.
Chapter End Notes:
I hope that all of you guys have enjoyed the ride as much as I have...