- Text Size +
Story Notes:
A/N: No, contrary to popular belief, I did not disappear off the face of the Earth, dragging this story with me! I apologize to everyone who's been waiting (im)patiently for this sequel and really, the only excuse I can offer is that real life decided it was more important than my fantasy world. Ridiculous, right? Anyway, I am BACK by (not so popular)demand. For those of you who are new to my writing, you should probably go read Knocked Up first, as this is the continuation of that story. Just in case my time line isn't clear, this story takes place two years after the end of the previous fic. A huge thank you, as always, to my BFFL Kelley for helping me get this story going and for encouraging me to continue when I felt like I scraping the idea. You're the best, chica. As always, reviews are always greatly appreciated and I swear on Michael Weatherly that they really do help me write faster! So please don't forget to take five seconds to send me a little note about the chapter once you're done reading! Thanks again for everyone who's added me to their author alerts and who reviewed after the last fic! This is for you!
Author's Chapter Notes:
When Gibbs and Abby find out they're unable to have children, she considers asking Tony to be a surrogate. What could possibly go wrong? Rated to be safe. McTony Gabby
Prologue: So Much For My Happy Ending

The squad room was empty, save for the silver-haired man who sat hunched over his desk, his fingers moving slowly over the keyboard.

With one final click of the mouse thing, he sat back in the chair and threw his glasses onto the desk, running a tired hand over his face.

It was beginning to get late and having already sent his agents home, he knew there was no point in lingering any longer.

Standing from his desk, Gibbs grabbed his jacket and made his way over to the elevator, punching the button for the lab.

He stepped out of the elevator as the doors slid open, smiling when he saw his girl powering down her machines. He walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, pressing a kiss to her spiderweb tattoo, smirking when she jumped.

"You scared me, J!" She accused, spinning around in his arms. "How long have you been here?"

"Just a minute or two. Almost ready to go?"

She offered him a smile that didn't reach her eyes and kissed him quickly on the lips before ducking under his arms. "Just about. I ran the ballistics on that gun you gave me earlier and..."

"Stop, Abs. No more talking shop tonight. Our workday was over three minutes ago."

"Okay."

He leaned against her workbench, watching curiously as she practically skipped around the room, turning off all the machines in her path.

Moving quickly to her office, she swapped her pristine white lab coat for the leather motorcycle jacket he'd bought her for Christmas, grinning as she pulled it around her thin body. "All ready to go?" He asked, reaching for her hand as she walked toward him.

Abby grinned again, lacing her fingers with his. "I am."

The smile was almost believable this time and for a moment, he felt guilty for lingering so long upstairs. However, he knew as soon as they were safely away from curious eyes and ears, the act would drop and she'd crumble.

He'd watched her closely as they rode the elevator in silence. The moment they stepped into the parking garage, it started.

Her shoulders began to turn inward as she tried to make herself as small as possible, wanting nothing more than to disappear.

They both climbed into the car, the distance between them growing despite the cramped quarters.

She had crumbled.

Had it been any other woman, Gibbs would have cut his losses and run. He'd tried once, the previous year, after hundreds of counseling sessions and doctors appointments did nothing to help.

He hadn't been able to stay away long and for awhile after he came back, she'd gotten better. She had stopped blaming herself and had started to accept that nothing she could have done would have changed the outcome of the short-lived pregnancy that they no longer even spoke about.

But now, over the course of the last few weeks, something had changed and her mood had started to shift again. The once-lively young woman that he'd fallen in love with all those years ago was allowing herself to be pulled back in to whatever it was that consumed her the last time.

Well he'd be damned if he was just going to sit by and watch it happen again.

"Not really in the mood for cookin' dinner tonight. I'll stop somewhere and grab something. What are you hungry for?" He asked, trying to keep his voice casual despite the way his knuckles were gripping the steering wheel.

She didn't offer an audible response, giving him a half hearted shrug instead.

"Abby," he tried again after a moment. "Dinner."

"Jesus, Gibbs! I said I didn't care!" She snapped, her green eyes dark with anger.

It was a start.

"No, you didn't actually say anything. That's the whole problem!"

"Oh yes," she scoffed. "Because you'd really win the prize for conversationalist of the year."

Releasing a sigh of frustration, he forced himself to remain calm. "Honestly, Abby. Are we ever going to move past this? Or are you going to let it control you forever?"

From the corner of his eye, he watched as what little bit of color she had drained from her cheeks. It was an asshole move, he knew that. But he also knew that if he didn't get her talking about whatever it was that was eating at her, she'd never be able to come back from it. Not this time.

"You can be a real insensitive prick sometimes, Gibbs," she managed, her voice thick with tears as she turned to glare out the window, her arms crossed over her chest as though she was trying to literally hold herself together.

He fell silent, his jaw twitching angrily. He wasn't quite sure who he was the most irritated with: himself, for obviously not being enough, or her for allowing herself to become so weak.

In the end, he settled on blaming himself.

::::::

It was all Abby could do to force herself up the stairs and down the hallway to the bedroom.

Her chest ached in a way she hadn't experienced in almost two years and the feeling was nearly enough to cripple her.

It wasn't easy to pretend at work. It hadn't been easy then and it wasn't easy now. It took all of her strength to just get through the day with a smile plastered on her face so that no one would know just how broken she really was.

Pushing the bedroom door open, she trudged over to the bed, the tears already stinging her eyes before she even hit the mattress.

Sinking down onto the bed, she crawled over to her side, hugging the pillow against her chest as she cried.

"Abby?"

His voice was soft and sad. The very sound of it was enough to make the aching in her chest intensify. She was hurting him too.

Stepping into the room, Gibbs closed the door behind him before he made his way over to the bed slowly, sliding in behind her.

She could feel his strong arms wrap around her waist as he pulled her back against his chest, lowering his lips to her hair.

"Talk to me, Abs. Please. Don't push me away again."

"My... My doctor called me this morning," she managed, her voice hoarse as she cried.

He closed his eyes, already knowing the outcome before she told him.

Abby had completely fallen apart after the miscarriage that almost ruined them. He'd been hesitant to try for another baby after seeing what losing the first one had done to her, but she'd managed to talk him into it and for awhile, all was well.

But after over a year of trying with no luck, she had gone to see her doctor. After some preliminary testing, the doctor had put her on some medication that was supposed to help her to conceive, but none of it seemed to work.

They had chosen to try a fertility clinic just three months earlier, both of them undergoing testing to check for underlying conditions that would prevent a pregnancy. Based on Abby's current state, the news she had received hadn't been very good.

Reaching over, he brushed her long hair back out of her face before he buried his nose against her, breathing in her scent. "What did she have to say?"

Abby turned in his arms and the pain he saw in her green eyes broke his heart. "I can't.... I'm not able... I..."

Unwilling to allow her to finish the thought, he simply pulled her against his chest, holding her as she cried.

"I'm sorry," she cried, her fingers gripping his shirt. "I sh...shouldn't pull away from you. I just... I don't..."

"Shh. It's okay. It's gonna be okay," he soothed, rubbing her back gently.

"I want a baby so bad, J," she sobbed, her entire body trembling. "It's not f...fair."

He held her closely, unsure of what else he could say to relax her. They laid there for hours until she finally slipped into sleep, allowing her body to slump against him.

"We'll work it out," He whispered, pressing a kiss to her hair as she slept. "I'm not goin' anywhere."

::::::

Pushing the bedroom door open, McGee couldn't help but grin at the sight of his lover sprawled out on the floor, their son beside him as they raced Josh's toy cars on the carpet.

"I go'win!" The little boy declared, kicking his pajama covered feet in the air.

"Not a chance," Tony snorted, nudging Josh playfully. "I'm totally gonna beat you."

"No!"

"Heck yeah! You better go faster, little man!"

"I go'win!" Josh squealed, grabbing Tony's hand to stop him, giggling when the man lifted him up, his fingers attacking his sides and stomach.

"No you're not!" Tony growled, laughing as his son squirmed against him, trying to get free.

Pushing himself off the wall, McGee stepped further into the room, lifting his son off his partner's chest with a playful glare. "You're supposed to be putting him to bed, not getting him all riled up again."

"But it's so much fun," Tony grinned, looking up at McGee from the floor as the younger man stepped over him.

Cocking his eyebrow in response, McGee shook his head despite the smile tugging at the corners of his mouth as he made his way over to Josh's new bed.

Pushing himself off the floor with a groan, Tony followed after McGee, sinking down on the edge of the race car bed they'd just put together for the little boy.

"Alright buddy," McGee said, laying Josh down on the thin mattress. "You remember the rules, right? You stay in bed and go night night or else you go back in the crib. Deal?"

"You can't negotiate with a two year old," Tony snickered. "As soon as we're out of this room, he'll be up."

"Then I'll punish you," McGee responded, grinning broadly at Tony before he turned back to his son. "Time for night night and when you wake up, Aunt Abby and Aunt Ziva are going to come over to play."

"An' Gi's?"

"And Gibbs. That's right. But only if you're a good boy and go to sleep."

"I go s'eep."

"Yup."

"'Kay," Josh agreed with a nod as he settled against the pillows, reaching for his blue blanket that was perched on the end of the bed.

Grabbing the soft piece of fabric, Tony handed it to him, leaning down to kiss his forehead. "You get some sleep," he ordered sternly, grinning when the little boy nodded obediently. "Love you buddy."

"Love too!"

Pushing himself up off of the small bed, Tony nudged McGee with a grin. "You comin'?"

"Uh huh. I'll be out in just a minute."

Nodding in response, Tony made his way out of the room, pausing at the door long enough to watch his lover tuck their son in before kissing his forehead.‬‪

He couldn't stop the grin from forming on his face as he headed down the hallway to their bedroom.‬‪

He pulled his shirt off as soon as he stepped into the Master Bedroom, tossing it into the hamper next to the door. Walking over to the dresser, he pulled open the top drawer and pulled out a pair of boxers, tossing them on the bed as he worked on removing his belt.‬‪

Jumping slightly at the feeling of his partner's arms around his waist, he relaxed after a moment, leaning back into the younger man's embrace.

"You've been working out again," McGee noted, dropping a kiss to Tony's bare shoulder with a grin.

"You can tell?"

"Oh yeah. Your abs look good. They feel good too," he mumbled, his fingers grazing his toned stomach.

"Mm. Glad you approve."

"I definitely do." He moved his hands lower, toying with Tony's belt as he continued pressing kisses along his shoulders.

"Mmm," Tony moaned softly. "This your idea of punishment?"

"Uh uh. More like a reward."

"Oh really? For what?"

"Wearing him out. He passed out as soon as you left the room."

Turning in McGee's arms, Tony offered him a smug smile. "He did, huh?"

"Yup."

"Then I guess you're the one who needs to punished," Tony smirked, hooking his fingers through his lover's belt loops as he pulled him closer.

"For what?"

"For mouthing off to your Senior Field Agent in front of our two year old."

"Oh. That."

"Yeah," Tony growled, cupping the front of McGee's jeans, grinning when he gasped. "That."

"P...punish away then."

"Oh I plan on it. Hope you weren't planning on going to sleep early."

"Nope."

"Good. Because you're in for a long night... Probie."

::::::

A quiet moan escaped McGee as he shifted onto his side, dropping his arm over Tony's waist before resting his head against the older man's chest.

"Can you...punish me more often?" He asked, panting slightly as he tried to catch his breath.

A quiet laugh escaped Tony as he ran his fingers through his lover's hair, enjoying the feeling of having him so close. "Depends. You gonna keep mouthin' off to me in front of Josh?"

"Hell yes, if it means I get a repeat of *that*."

"And to think, all those years I wasted by thinking you were too prudish for me."

"Glad you finally came to your senses."

"Mmm... Me too," Tony grinned before stifling a yawn.

"You aren't falling asleep on me, are you?" McGee asked, his fingers drawing circles on his partner's flat stomach absently.

"Nope. I'm wide... Awake," the older man managed, despite the fact that he could hardly hold his eyes open.

"Liar," McGee snorted, lifting his head to look at his partner, grinning when he poked his side. "Wake up!"

"Whaaat?" Tony whined, swatting his hand away.

"I wanna talk to you about something!"

Forcing his eyes open, Tony glared at the younger man momentarily. "So talk."

"I was just thinking... With Josh turning two this week, that you might have changed your mind."

"Changed my mind? About what?"

"Having another one."

"You're kidding, right?" Tony scoffed. "Sure, we can have another. You gonna carry it this time?"

"So it's still a no, huh?"

"No, Timmy. That's not a 'no'. That's a HELL no!"

"Well," he shrugged, pulling away from Tony. "Just thought I'd ask."

Sighing heavily, Tony turned on his side, pulling McGee back to him. "Are you mad?"

"No."

"Well you aren't acting like you're not mad."

"I'm not mad," McGee promised, pressing a kiss to Tony's lips. "That's your decision. I know how hard it was for you the last time."

"I don't want to ever do that again. Josh is totally and completely worth it, but I just...I don't wanna go through all that again."

"You don't have to explain."

"But I want to because I feel like you're mad!" He sighed. "It's just...you know I don't deal well with other people having to do things for me...and I felt so helpless when I was pregnant."

"I know, Tony."

Tony rolled back onto his back, pulling his lover down with him. "Besides," he pouted, "I just lost the last 10 pounds. Gaining weight again is not on my to-do list."

McGee chuckled, kissing the hair on the older man's chest. "I think you're incredibly sexy no matter what your weight is... But if I'm being honest, I kinda liked you with a little meat on your bones anyway."

"Yeah, I know which bone you like the meat on," he replied smugly.

"Not technically a bone."

"Smart ass."

"You love me anyway," the younger man grinned.

Wrapping his arms around McGee, Tony pressed a kiss to his lips. "You're right," he agreed. "I do."

"Love you too, T."

Settling back against the pillows, McGee grinned at the feeling of Tony pressed against him, a warmth he was sure he'd never really get used to. They relaxed against each other, enjoying the rare silence that accompanied a home with a toddler. Tony's eyes fell shut first, his breathing deepening under McGee's cheek. The younger man followed suit, closing his eyes and welcoming a night of dreamless sleep.
Chapter End Notes:
A/N: No, contrary to popular belief, I did not disappear off the face of the Earth, dragging this story with me! I apologize to everyone who's been waiting (im)patiently for this sequel and really, the only excuse I can offer is that real life decided it was more important than my fantasy world. Ridiculous, right? Anyway, I am BACK by (not so popular)demand. For those of you who are new to my writing, you should probably go read Knocked Up first, as this is the continuation of that story. Just in case my time line isn't clear, this story takes place two years after the end of the previous fic.

A huge thank you, as always, to my BFFL Kelley for helping me get this story going and for encouraging me to continue when I felt like I scraping the idea. You're the best, chica. As always, reviews are always greatly appreciated and I swear on Michael Weatherly that they really do help me write faster! So please don't forget to take five seconds to send me a little note about the chapter once you're done reading! Thanks again for everyone who's added me to their author alerts and who reviewed after the last fic! This is for you!