- Text Size +
Bitter and Blue

The dying rays of sunlight filtered in through the dusty basement windows, casting a gentle glow in the dim room. He allowed the quiet swish of sandpaper against wood to soothe him as he worked.

Outside, the weather was warm as spring slowly began to give way to summer and had his day gone better, he'd have taken advantage of the fact the evenings were growing longer. The roof still needed to be fixed and the grass needed to be cut, but tonight, he was content to give in to his desire to be alone, to seek solace away from the prying eyes of his neighbors and to lose himself in his boat.

Dropping the worn paper onto the cluttered work bench, he ran a hand over his tired face and sighed heavily before pouring himself a glass of bourbon. It was well deserved, he decided and after downing the first glass, he quickly poured himself another.

It wouldn't erase the events of the day from his mind, but he hoped it would at least ease the tension in his neck and shoulders, alleviating the ache he'd felt all day.

The start of humid days only meant one thing to him. She was all he could think about, her memory penetrating his thoughts day in and day out for weeks on end. Kate hadn't been his first, but she had been the one he loved. The day he lost her, he felt his world was over, that there was nothing else worth living for.

As if the thoughts of his murdered agent and lover weren't enough for him to sink into the guilt trap that was him drinking and working on his never-finished boat, Abby had cornered him in the elevator. It had started innocently enough, sharing the car on their way to their weekly lunch with each other, until she decided to turn on him. It had been six months to the day since he had brought the broken fugitive slave to her home, allowing her to patch him up and take care of him only for him to run away in the middle of the night. Only Abby would keep such meticulous track of the number of days.

Leaning against the dust covered saw horse, he crossed his arms over his chest as he stared at the skeleton of the boat, the conversation he'd had with his Forensic Scientist replaying in his mind, despite the fact that he tried to block it out. He could still hear the tremble of her voice as she reminded him of his promise to find the shaggy haired man she'd cared for all those months ago. She acted as though he hadn't been trying, but with only a first name and a vague description to go on, he hadn't had much luck. He'd put in numerous calls to the Capital House, reminding his contact there of the agreement they'd discussed the morning after Tony's departure. He'd been so sure the slave would end up on the auction block, but so far, nothing.

Releasing another sigh, he reached for his phone, turning the little device in his fingers before snapping it open, his fingers poised over the buttons. He pinched the bridge of his nose, attempting to fight off the headache he felt coming on. Dialing the number before he could change his mind, he pressed the phone to his ear, waiting for the man on the other end to answer.

"Jethro!" Alan greeted, his tone void of the irritation Gibbs had detected the last seventeen times he'd called. "I was just about to call you."

"Tell me you have good news, Alan."

"I think I've found your boy." Releasing the breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding, Gibbs slumped back against the saw hoarse again, closing his eyes as he processed the information. "I'm not gonna lie to you, Jethro. He's in bad shape. If I wasn't sure this was your guy, I never would have taken him on."

"Bad shape?" Gibbs felt his gut clench at the thought. "What do you mean?"

"He looks like he's been starved. Not to mention the extensive bruising all over his body. Our house doctor assures me that none of the damage appears to be permanent, physically anyway. But I must warn you, Jethro..." Alan hesitated slightly. "That boy has a chip on his shoulder the size of DC. He's not gonna be an easy one."

"Didn't expect he would be, Alan."

"Just as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. I'm having a private showing Thursday evening. I usually like to give my more... affluent clientele first choice before they go up for public auction on Friday. I can't imagine that any of the suits are gonna want him but he does have a pretty face and once he gets some weight on him, he'll have a decent body so you'll probably want to come on Thursday."

"What time?"

"He's scheduled to go up at 7:30."

"I'll be there."

"See that you are."

"I'll be there," Gibbs repeated. "And Alan? Can't thank you enough for this."

Disconnecting the call, Gibbs crossed the small expanse of the basement and took the stairs two at a time. Feeling better than he had since returning home, he grabbed the keys from the dish behind the door and hurried out to the sedan, intent on delivering the good news to Abby in person.

****

Pulling up in front of the large manor, Gibbs turned into the driveway, bringing the sedan to a stop behind his scientist's hearse. Shifting the car into park, he climbed out of the car and made his way up to the entrance, an amused smirk already tugging at his mouth.

The lingering sun had finally set and a gentle breeze danced through the branches of the trees over head. Stepping up to the front door, he raised his hand and knocked, shifting anxiously from foot to foot. He wasn't made to wait long before the heavy door swung open.

"B... boss!" McGee greeted, dropping into a low bow in front of the silver haired agent.

"McGee," Gibbs growled, narrowing his eyes at the younger man.

"S... sorry," the younger man responded sheepishly as he stood upright, a light blush tinting his cheeks.

"Are you aware that you are not wearing a shirt?" Ziva asked from the corner, her smug smile evident in her voice.

McGee's face darkened as he looked down at his bare chest and back to Gibbs, attempting to stammer an explanation. "We just... I didn't expect... I wasn't... I..."

"Save it, McGee. Where's Abby?"

"Here," the raven haired woman greeted as she stepped into the hallway, pulling her silky robe tighter around her body. "We weren't expecting company this late. Timmy, you may go upstairs and wait for me there. Ziva, put your nose back in that corner and keep it there."

Grumbling in response, Ziva leaned further into the wall, resting her forehead against the dark wood, crossing her arms over her chest.

"You make her stand in the corner?"

"She enjoys the spanking too much. This is a much more effective way of punishing her. We'll talk in the living room," she decided, cocking her eyebrow curiously at the older man. "Coffee?"

"You don't seem surprised to see me."

"I'm not," she responded with a casual shrug as they made their way into warm living room. Dropping herself onto the plush couch, she gazed up at him expectantly, motioning for him to join her. "Have you found him?"

"Alan thinks so."

Tears of relief filled her eyes as she dropped her head back against the couch, giving silent thanks to God. From the moment she'd woken up that chilly November morning and realized the young man was gone, she knew she had to find him again. He needed her and Gibbs, and if she was being honest with herself, she thought Gibbs needed him as well.

Kate's death had left the older man as broken on the inside as Tony had been on the outside. Though Gibbs would deny the affect the young woman's death had on him, everyone saw how lost he'd been in the tragic aftermath of her murder. He'd managed to bury the pain for awhile, though as the first anniversary of her death drew nearer, Abby could see the hurt hollowing his blue eyes once more.

She did not think it was merely a coincidence that they'd finally located Tony just days before the dreadful date, just like she'd not thought it was a chance encounter that led them to him in the first place.

"When will we be able to get him?"

"Alan said he's being put up Thursday evening. We'll go then."

"Did he say how he was?" She asked as she lifted her head to glance at him, her green eyes wide.

The older man hesitated slightly. "He's not in very good shape. Pretty banged up. And he's gonna need a major attitude adjustment."

"You're still going to train him for me." It was meant to be a statement, not a question, though he could hear the apprehension in her voice as she twisted the silky tie of her robe between her fingers nervously.

"Told you I would, didn't I?"

A squeal of excitement burst forward from her dark lips as she leaned across the couch, throwing her arms around him in thanks. She'd very nearly driven him crazy over the course of the last six months, but at this moment, knowing how happy she was, he decided it was all worth it.

****

The week crept by at a snail's pace. Despite the fact that he had work to keep his mind occupied during the day, Gibbs found himself consumed with an endless stream of questions that kept him tossing and turning every night, second guessing his decision. Kate had been easy to train. The young woman was bright and fairly well disciplined long before their paths ever crossed and her desire to please her Master usually outweighed her natural stubborn streak, giving him an advantage over most.

When he'd promised Abby that he'd help her train the broken young man that they'd come across all those months ago, he hadn't realized just how long it'd be before their paths would cross again. A lot could happen to a person in six months, and after Alan's affirmation that some damage had been done to the boy, he knew that it wasn't going to be easy.

Though the week had seemed never ending, Gibbs was slightly taken aback at how quickly the afternoon had passed. Standing in front of the closet, he pulled out the old suit from the very back with an apprehensive sigh. He'd been to the Capital House only one other time, when an investigation led him to an ex-employee of Alan's, though based on the man's explanation of who'd be in attendance at the night's function, he knew that a pair of slacks and a button down just wouldn't do.

Tossing the black suit onto the bed, he turned back to the closet, intent on digging out his old pair of shoes when he spotted the cardboard box tucked away in the corner. He could feel the lump forming in his throat as he paused, his fingers aching to pull it open and hold her things in his hands again. He'd forgotten about that box. After Kate's death, he'd packed up the majority of her things and sent them back to her parents, though that box held everything he couldn't bare to part with.

Pulling it out of the closet, he moved over to the bed and sank down on the mattress, the ache in chest becoming overwhelming. Reaching for the phone with a shaking hand, he dialed Abby's number, the realization of what he was about to do hitting him hard.

"The Sciuto Residence," Ziva greeted sullenly.

"Let me talk to Abby," Gibbs demanded, ignoring the impatient sigh on the other end. Seconds later, he heard the Forensic Scientist greet him excitedly, her smile evident in her voice.

"I'm almost ready! I'll be ready by the time you get here!"

"Abby..." He trailed off. He'd called her with every intention of calling the deal off, but something in the tone of her voice stopped him.

"Gibbs? Is everything okay?"

He hesitated, his fingers absently drawing circles on the top of the box. He wanted to open it, to breathe in her scent and to remember what she felt like in his arms but he didn't. He knew the second he opened the box, he'd break Abby's heart.

"I'll be there in twenty," he said after a moment, smiling despite the pain at her excited squeal.

"I'll be ready, I promise!"

Disconnecting the call, he dropped the phone onto the mattress before he stood, carrying the box back to the closet. Kneeling down, he returned it to its corner before he stood, black dress shoes in hand.

It didn't take long to change into the suit and shoes and in absolutely no time at all, he was on his way down to the sedan. Climbing in, he started the car and backed out of the driveway before he had a chance to save his mind.

The drive to Abby's seemed longer than usual, the anticipation of what was to come leaving him feeling anxious, despite his outward appearance. Years of military training had allowed him to appear calm and collected, though he was a mess on the inside.

He'd barely come to a complete stop in the driveway before the excited young woman darted outside. Her green dress stood out amazingly against her pale skin and her long black hair had been swept back in an elegant braid. Even from the car, he could see the bright smile on her face as she approached. Climbing from the vehicle, he made his way around to her side quickly, offering her a peck on the cheek when she approached him.

"You look gorgeous, Abs."

"You don't look half bad yourself," she grinned.

Pulling the passenger door open, he helped her into her seat before he headed around to the driver's side, glancing back at the house with a smirk as he spotted the irritated Israeli peeking through the curtains, her dark scowl visible even from where he stood. Climbing back into the car, he shifted the car into reverse and pulled out of the driveway. "You've got your hands full with her," he acknowledged.

"Tell me something I don't know," she snorted, rolling her eyes. "She's gotten her feelings hurt because she doesn't want me to bring Tony home."

"You've spoiled her."

She scoffed loudly, shaking her head. "If I'm spoiling Ziva, then I must be treating McGee like the King of England."

Chuckling quietly, Gibbs pulled away from the house, reaching for his friend's hand. "You're positive you want to do this?"

"I've never been more sure of anything. He needs a good home, Gibbs."

"Let's just hope a good home is gonna be enough."

****

Abby's first impression of the Capital House was that it was the perfect place for the stuffy business men they found lingering inside. Though she'd originally felt over dressed when she'd slipped into the green cocktail dress, she realized she'd chosen well. Forcing a confident smile to her face when Gibbs slipped his arm through hers, she allowed him to lead her over toward the large stage at the far end of the room.

"Shouldn't have to wait too long," he muttered, his eyes scanning the room for Alan.

"Do you think he'll remember us?" She asked, her voice wavering slightly as she tugged at the rings on her fingers nervously.

"It's hard to say," he responded with a shrug before he dropped his arm around her shoulder, pulling her close to his side.

"Jethro!" They both turned at the sound of his name. Crossing the room quickly, Alan offered the two a relieved smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "I was beginning to wonder if you were going to make it."

"Alan," Gibbs nodded in greeted. "This is Abby Sciuto. Abs, this is Alan Davidson. He's the one who found Tony for us."

"Now Jethro," Alan laughed. "I can't actually take credit for finding him. His last Master actually seemed pretty eager to drop him off."

"Maybe because his last Master was an abusive piece of--"

"Abby," Gibbs scolded, narrowing his eyes in warning. "That's enough."

"I'm sorry," she muttered in response. "Where is he?"

Clearing his throat uncomfortably, Alan pointed to the heavily curtained stage. "They'll be bringing him out shortly."

Pulling away from Gibbs' embrace, Abby turned toward the stage and crossed her arms over her chest as she waited, rather impatiently. Unimpressed with the young woman's attitude, Gibbs turned back to Alan, offering him his hand in thanks. "Can't thank you enough for this, Alan."

"Just remember what I said, Jethro. I meant it when I told you he's gonna need an attitude adjustment. Already, he's been more trouble than he's worth to me. To be honest, I'm glad you're the one takin' him off my hands, because I believe my business would be run into the ground if I sold him off to one of my usual clients."

Frowning slightly, Gibbs glanced back warily at Abby before Alan turned at the sound of his name being called.

"We're about to start. He'll be the first one brought out. I'm anxious to get him out of here."

"We'll take care of it," Gibbs assured him with a nod, his frown deepening when his friend hurried out.

"I don't like him," Abby announced, her eyes fixed on the stage. "He talked about Tony like he's an animal! Just because he's been Marked doesn't mean he's any less of a human being, Gibbs! And I hope to God that you're not going to treat him that way!"

A low growl escaped him as he gripped her arm, turning her to face him. "When have I ever treated anyone like that?" He asked, his blue eyes flashing angrily. "I've agreed to help you out with this, Abby, and I plan on honoring that agreement but if I take him on, you're not to interfere with my training. Do I make myself clear?"

She wilted under his intense stare, her shoulders sagging as she glanced up at him remorsefully. "Yes sir," she mumbled quietly.

"What was that? Didn't quite catch it."

"Yes sir," she repeated.

Releasing her, he narrowed his eyes in warning once before he turned back to the stage as Alan stepped out, a microphone in hand.

"Greetings ladies and gentlemen," he greeted, his voice pleasant as the room fell silent. "Thank you all for joining us this evening as we unveil our newest pieces of the week. Up first tonight is a young man who was brought in at the beginning of the week. He's a bit of a fire cracker, though his previous Master assured me that with a little time and work, he'd be the perfect addition."

Scoffing loudly at the ridiculous introduction, Abby rolled her eyes and nudged Gibbs as the curtain was lifted. Her question, however, died on her dark lips when she finally spotted him, restrained to a hard backed chair in the middle of the stage.

She could feel the tears welling up behind her eyes as she looked him over, ignoring the disgusted noises the rest of the crowd was making. His soft, shaggy hair had been shaved, and even though it had started to grow back, she could clearly see the Mark behind his ear. She forced a smile, hoping against hope that he would recognize her, when she realized that he was only looking at his bare feet. His body was badly bruised, and even from where she stood, his ribs were visible, despite the fact that he was slumped against the chair.

She watched as one of the handlers stepped closer, tugging on the chain attached the heavy metal collar around his neck, forcing him to look up. A strangled cry escaped him as he tugged against his restraints, his hazel eyes wide and fearful.

Covering her mouth with her hands, she was horrified as he shrank away when one of the men stepped closer to him. "Gibbs..." she managed, her voice hoarse with tears. She stepped closer to the stage, shrugging away from Gibbs' touch as a tear slid down her cheek.

"Tony," she called, her heart leaping when he lifted his head at the sound of his name, focusing his attention on her. Not taking her eyes off of him, she called to Gibbs again before she barked angrily at the handler still pulling on the heavy chain. "Release him now!"

"Ma'am..." Alan said in warning, narrowing his eyes at Gibbs.

"I want you to release him now! He's not an animal to kept chained up!"

"Ma'am, I can't release him," the man holding the chain said. "He's nearly put two of our people in the hospital. It's not safe to--"

"Let him go or so help me God I'll climb up there and--!"

Grabbing her arm again, Gibbs pulled the distraught young woman over to the side of the stage, ignoring the way Tony's eyes followed them. On the stage, the young man growled angrily as he struggled harder against the handcuffs, ignoring the way the metal dug into his skin painfully.

"Alan...!"

"Get him off the stage!" He hissed, watching as the young man bucked wildly in the chair, his eyes never leaving the dark haired woman. Hurrying over to the side, one of the assistants pulled the rope, allowing the curtain to fall.

"Gibbs!" Abby cried, trying to pull away from him.

"You need to get yourself under control!" The silver haired man scolded, ignoring the quiet whispers of the people in the room. "You can't just stomp around and order people to do what you want! Alan us did a favor by holding him here and I don't appreciate the way you're behaving!"

"They're hurting him!"

"He'd hurt himself if he wasn't restrained, Abby! He's out of control and untrained!"

A quiet sob escaped her as she turned her back to him, her shoulders shaking as she cried. Pinching the bridge of his nose, he took a calming breath and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. "I didn't know they'd have him restrained like that."

"He looks so scared, Gibbs. Please go get him so we can take him away from here. Please!"

"I'll go talk to Alan. I want you to go wait for me in the car."

"Gibbs! Please! I'll behave, I promise! I won't say a word! Just please let me come with you!" She pleaded, tears spilling down her cheeks.

"One word and you'll go sit in the car. Do I make myself clear, Abby?"

"I promise, I won't say anything!"

"Then let's go," he muttered, grabbing her hand as he tugged her toward the back hallway.

She followed behind him dutifully, still sniffling as they approached the angry man. Turning at the sound of the footsteps, Alan's eyes narrowed as he pointed a finger at Abby. "I'm telling you right now, Jethro, if this kid hadn't been such a pain in my ass, I'd throw the both of you out of here right now!"

"Alan, she didn't realize he'd be restrained. I told you we've been looking for him for the last six moths, she's--"

"I don't care!" He growled. "You take him and get him the hell out of here, and I don't want either of you to step foot in here again. Do I make myself clear? I have never been so embarrassed!"

Nodding in agreement, Gibbs nudged Abby who offered a mumbled apology, keeping her eyes on the floor.

"Bryan! Escort Agent Gibbs and his... companion to the boy. Get them out of here as quickly as possible, through the back door," Alan instructed before he gave the pair a disgusted look and stalked off.

"Right this way," Bryan said, bowing slightly to Gibbs and Abby. He led them to the back stage area where Tony was still restrained to the chair, though the heavy chain had been clipped to the wall. His head was lowered to his chest, his eyes fixed on the floor under his feet. Pulling away from Gibbs, Abby made her way over to him slowly, ignoring the tears burning in her eyes.

"Tony."

Glancing up at the sound of her quiet voice, his hazel eyes looked her over carefully. "Are..." he paused, clearing his throat. "Are you okay? He... grabbed you. Did he hurt you?"

She offered him a shaky smile before she turned to the guards standing by. "Release him... please."

One of the large men moved quickly, first removing the large collar around his neck before he removed the handcuffs that restrained him to the chair. She noticed that they crowded around him, as if waiting for him to strike, though he did not move.

"I would like it very much if you would come with us," she told him, reaching out slowly to cup his face in her hand affectionately. "I've been looking for you for a very long time. Do you remember who I am?"

"Yes ma'am."

"It's Abby, for now." Releasing his chin from her grasp, she held her hand out to him, offering him a kind smile despite her tears. "Everything's going to be okay now, Tony. We're going to take good care of you."

He hesitated slightly, looking from her offered hand to the silver haired standing off to the side. After a moment, he slipped his hand into hers, allowing her to pull him to his feet gently. Almost immediately, her arm slipped around his waist, her green dress smooth and silky against his bare side.

"Gibbs." She spoke quietly, and for a moment, Tony didn't think the old man had heard her, but almost immediately, he shrugged off his jacket, dropping it around his shoulders. He tensed at her side. "It's okay," she soothed, pulling away long enough to help him slide his arms into the jacket. "It's a little airy outside. We just want to make sure you'll be comfortable on the way home."

"Th... thank you."

Tugging the suit jacket into place, Abby slipped her arm around around his waist once more and followed Bryan to the back exit, Gibbs right behind them.

"I'll go pull the car around," Gibbs mumbled, dropping a kiss to the top of Abby's head before he pulled away. "I'll be right back." His fingers moved quickly in silent communication, and with a nod, Abby led Tony over to the side of the building.

"Gibbs is a good man, Tony," she assured him once they were alone.

"He grabbed you."

"But he did not hurt me. Gibbs would never hurt me, or anyone for that matter. You will be safe with us, I promise you that, but I need you to make me a promise." He turned to face her, his hazel eyes wide."I need you to trust that we're going to take care of you. Trust us."

He didn't respond as the dark sedan pulled up. Tightening her arm around his waist, Abby led him over to the car, pulling the backdoor open before she helped him into the seat. Meeting Gibbs' eyes, she slid in beside Tony, offering the frightened young man a reassuring smile.

****

Pulling up in front of his house, Gibbs shifted the car into park. Turning in the seat, his fingers moved quickly as he spoke to Abby, instructing her to get Tony cleaned up while he ordered dinner. The kid looked like he hadn't eaten in weeks, and though his eyelids drooped heavily, they needed to make sure he got something to eat before he slept.

"Come on Tony," Abby said gently as she climbed out of the car, offering her hand to him. Pleased when the young man accepted her hand, Gibbs climbed out of the car and headed up toward the front porch, sighing heavily as he pushed the front door open.

"Master bathroom will probably be easiest, Abs. Grab him a pair of sweatpants and a t shirt from the dresser. Anything in particular you're hungry for?" He asked, addressing Tony for the first time.

The younger man stared at him, his hazel eyes dull before he turned to Abby, looking to her for assistance. She offered him a smile before she turned back to Gibbs, her fingers speaking for her.

Gibbs nodded before he stepped into the house, heading for the kitchen as Abby led Tony to the stairs. "We'll get you cleaned up and then after dinner, you can go to bed. Would you like that?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Abby," she corrected, leading him into the large bedroom. "The bathroom is right through there. I'll find you some comfortable clothes and wait here, but please, take as long as you need."

"Thank you."

Standing on her toes, she pressed a kiss to his cheek before she gave him a gentle nudge in the direction of the bathroom. "Ill be right here when you're finished."

Stepping into the bathroom, Tony closed the door behind him, releasing a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. He glanced around the small bathroom, cursing inwardly at the lack of windows. There was no way he'd be able to slip out. Though he was grateful for the dark haired woman's kindness, he knew it wouldn't last. It never did. They all made the same promises in the beginning, but in the end, none of it ever meant anything. He doubted that she was any different.

Though he couldn't get out, he decided to take advantage of the offer of a hot shower.

Back in the bedroom, Abby pulled out the smallest pair of sweatpants she could find, laying them out on the bed beside the white undershirt. Sinking down on the soft mattress, she dropped her head into her hands and released a shaky breath.

After six months of constant searching for Tony, she felt an undeniable sense of relief, though there was some apprehension as well. He recognized her, and for that, she was grateful, but she'd also seen something else in his eyes, something much darker than what she'd seen there before.

"What have they done to you?"

****

The pizza was cooling on the table when Abby and Tony finally came back down. Though she forced a brave smile for Tony's sake, Gibbs could see the apprehension in her eyes. He knew she didn't regret taking Tony in, but he could tell that she hadn't realized work he was going to need. He'd been damaged when they'd come across him all those months ago, but it was nothing compared to the shell of a man he'd become.

"Hope pizza's okay," Gibbs said, watching Tony carefully. The young man gave a curt nod, though he didn't offer an audible response. "Tony," Gibbs tried again. "When I ask you a question, I expect you to give me a proper response. I'll let it slide for now because it's your first night, but from now on, you're going to need to use your words."

"Yes sir," he mumbled, averting his eyes.

"Good. Well come on and sit down. You can join me and Abby at the table tonight."

Allowing the Goth to lead him over to the table, he sank down into the wooden chair, his hands clasped in his lap as he waited for further instructions. At his side, Abby reached for his hand, giving him a reassuring squeeze.

Dinner was a quiet affair, despite Abby's best attempt at keeping the conversation flowing. Tony ate silently, keeping his head down and only speaking when addressed directly, letting the silver haired man and the Goth talk amongst themselves.

"Do you have any questions for us, Tony?" Gibbs asked, watching as Abby cleared the table obediently after the pizza was gone. He could see the younger man following her with his hazel eyes as she made her way into the kitchen. "She's not mine. It's just the way she was raised."

The younger man looked up at him, surprised to get an answer to a question he hadn't even asked. He nodded, turning his gaze back to the table in front of him.

"No questions then?" Gibbs asked as he stood, running a hand through his short hair. "Then I'm sure you're tired. You've had a long couple of days, I'm guessin'."

Coming back into the dining room, Abby offered Tony a kind smile as she rubbed his shaved head affectionately. "My cab should be here shortly. I suppose I'll see you tomorrow."

His eyes were wide as he glanced back and forth between Gibbs and Abby. "T... tomorrow? I don't... get to come with you?"

"You're going to stay here with Gibbs for just a little while," she said. "I've got to submit an application to the Council before I can take in a third, but as soon as we get the paper work squared away, you'll come home with me. Until then, Gibbs is going to take care of you."

"But I thought... I didn't know... "He swallowed hard, dropping his gaze to the table again.

"I'll be back to see you in the morning," she promised, squeezing his shoulder reassuringly. "You should know that I trust Gibbs with my own life. He's going to take good care of you for me. I promise you that."

He glanced at the older man out of the corner of his eye, swallowing hard as he nodded.

"I'll walk you out, Abs," Gibbs offered, turning his attention back to Tony. "You can wait for me in the living room, if you'd like."

The young man didn't respond, his eyes never leaving the wooden table as the pair walked out.

"Do you think he'll be okay tonight?" Abby asked anxiously as they stepped out into the warm night. "Maybe I should take him home with me, just until he gets settled."

"He'll be fine," Gibbs replied dismissively as they made their way down the front steps. "I don't expect you to sit up all night, worrying yourself sick about him. He's gonna be fine."

"What if he runs off again?"

"You underestimate me," he smirked, leaning down to press a kiss to her cheek as the cab pulled up in front of the house.

Releasing a quiet sigh, Abby nodded, allowing her friend to lead her down to the waiting car. "You'll call me if he gives you any trouble? I think I'll be able to calm him down if necessary."

"What did I just say?"

"I know! But I can't help but worry about them!"

"And that's why they love you. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bright and early," she warned.

"Wouldn't have it any other way. Get some sleep, Abby."

She nodded, pulling the door open, though she hesitated for a moment, glancing back at the older man. "Thank you for this, Jethro."

"Anything for you," he assured her, pecking her cheek once more.

He waited until the car pulled away before he turned back to the house, running a tired hand over his face. He hadn't interacted much with the younger man, choosing instead to allow Abby's presence to relax him. With her gone, he wasn't sure how he'd react, and he couldn't help but mentally prepare himself for the worst.

Pushing the front door open, he slipped into the hallway, stopping short as he spotted the young slave. He was on his knees, his hands clasped behind his back, his head lowered to his chest, a perfect picture of submission.

Though Gibbs noticed the way he flinched slightly at the sound of the front door being closed, he didn't lift his gaze. There was no denying that the boy was well trained; he'd known that from the moment they'd met all those months ago. But there was something else, an anger burning inside him that was going to need to be put out before he could turn him over to Abby with a clear conscience.

"On your feet," Gibbs demanded, his tone firm. Tony moved quickly, never lifting his gaze as Gibbs circled him."I appreciate your show of submission, but tonight, it's unnecessary. I hadn't planned on starting your training until tomorrow."

"I don't need training," Tony muttered.

"I hadn't planned on starting your retraining until tomorrow," he amended, smirking slightly. "You are well trained, I'll give you that. But you have a lot to learn, starting tomorrow. For now, you're with me."

He said nothing more as he stepped around the younger man, pleased when he fell into step behind him. At the top of the stairs, he stopped in front of the first door, directly across from the master bedroom and pushed the door open. "You'll stay in here. I should probably warn you that the windows don't open as easily as Abby's, so you'll want to leave them closed," he smirked, ignoring the way Tony's jaw twitched irritably. "Same thing goes for this door. It's to remain closed when you're inside, unless I instruct you otherwise. There's an adjoining bathroom, so you should have no need to leave until morning, when I come to wake you. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes sir," he growled.

"Is there anything you need before I go?"

"No," he grumbled sullenly, his eyes scanning the darkened room.

"From now on, you'll always refer to me as 'Sir' or 'Boss'. I'll let that one slide because I told you we weren't starting your training until tomorrow, but if I have to remind you again, you will be punished. Do you understand?"

"Yes sir."

"Very good. There are extra blankets in the closet over there should you get cold. Otherwise, I'll see you in the morning."

Tony watched as he backed out of the room before he wrapped his arms around himself, shivering slightly in the chilly room. Narrowing his eyes at the tell-tale sign of a lock sliding in place, he turned back to the door, cursing inwardly when he realized the knob had been turned around, allowing the older man to lock him inside.

Stepping further into the room, he eyed the bed longingly for a moment before he sank down on the hard floor with a quiet sigh. No point in getting used to the finer things in life, he decided, though he did pull the thin sheet from the bed and wrap it around his body.

"It always gets taken away in the end anyway," he muttered, curling in on himself as much as possible as he tried to find a comfortable position on the floor.
Chapter End Notes:
I do not think I can thank you all enough for the kind words I've received for this story after just one chapter. I have to admit, I was a little afraid of how it would be received, but after seeing all the story alerts and reviews that I received, I'm glad now that I decided to post it. Thank you again. Hopefully, you'll enjoy this chapter as much as the last.