- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and Kate share a night together.What could happen?
They arrive in the little town house that has been set up for them while they investigate Dr Chalmers. Kate, Tony and McGee follow Gibbs into the little house which only has 3 bedrooms. The three make their way down the hall to choose their bedrooms. Kate walks into the end one which has the biggest bed and a bathroom. She puts her bag on he bed as a sign that it is taken. McGee has chosen the first bedroom and the view out the window is beautiful. Tony put his bag down next to Kate’s.
“ What are you doing?” she asked.
“ Getting comfortable if you don’t mind” he said with a cheeky smile.
“ Tony I chose this room first, go find another one”
“ Kate, there is only one other bedroom and that is taken by Gibbs and I am not going to share a bed with him” he said with reason.
“ Fine but clothes on at all times” she said pointing her finger at him o make her point clear.
Gibbs looked into their room and saw that Kate had actually agreed to sleep in the same bed as Tony. This was very unlike her.
‘ Something has changed’ he thought to himself. He turned and threw his bag into the empty room.
They set up their computers and connected it all up so they could talk to Abby or Ducky at anytime.

It has been two days since the team has arrived in Harmony. It is day 3 of their investigation and everyone is getting a bit tired and wants to go home. It is a bad combination for these people, especially when there are hidden feelings amongst the team.
Tony came out into the lounge room where Gibbs was reading Dr Chalmers report for the 6th time. He was drying his hair as he had just had a shower. Tony sat on the lounge and sighed.
“ When can we go home Boss?” he asked.
“ When we find the rest of Dorin and who killed him” he said gruffly.
“ Everything alright Boss?” he asked noticing something was up, other then the missing pieces of a marine.
“ Are you and Kate…” Gibbs couldn’t find the right words, but Tony soon knew what he was talking about.
“ Oh no, no. God no. We are just closer now after what happened. She’s like my sister now”
“ You don’t have a sister”
“ I know, but if I did she would be it. We still argue but its all good fun” he said with a chuckle. He got up and went back to the room and hung the towel on the back of the chair as Kate was now in the bathroom. She soon came out wrapped in a towel. She went through her bag to find some clean clothes. She pulled out her tan coloured skirt and a sensible sleeveless top and a black pair of undies.
“ Oh Katie what are you doing to tonight” Tony laughed as he saw her black undies on the bed.
“ Nothing, what’s it to you?” she snapped.
“ It’s just the black undies”
They’re the only ones I have left ok”
“ Ok.” He started to walk out so she could get dressed but stopped.
“ Gibbs likes you, you know” he matter of factly.
“ What? No he doesn’t he has a thing for Melissa Dorin” She told him.
“ The red head? Kate you’ve got it all wrong” he said with a laugh.
“ Tony you didn’t see how he was acting around her”
Just then Gibbs appeared at the door. Kate’s face went red with embarrassment. Gibbs looked Kate up and down.
“ Get dressed, we’ve gotta go” he said gruffly.
“ I was trying to” she told him.
“ It looks like it” he retorted. She went into the bathroom and slammed the door annoyed at both men.
“ She really was trying to get dressed boss, I was stopping her” Tony said. Gibbs said nothing just walked away. Tony shakes his head and leaves the room.
Kate is dressed and blow drying her hair as fast as she can as she doesn’t want to annoy Gibbs anymore then what she already has.
‘ What’s his problem? He ‘s changed since we’ve been here. He’s more…angrier…more impatient’ she thought to herself.
She quickly grabs her gear from behind the bedroom door and heads for the front door. No one was left inside so she closed the door behind her and headed for the car. She jumped in the front seat next to Gibbs and sat quietly as he sped off down the street.
They arrived at Melissa Dorin’s house. She invited them in with a smile which soon disappeared when Gibbs ordered McGee and Tony to search the house. Kate watched Gibbs with Melissa this time and it was very different from before. He was trying to get the information out of her instead of flirting with her.
Tony soon came in and informed them that there were cuts in the floor of the garage.
Soon enough Dr Chalmers was found out and they got the truth out of her.
They all climbed back into the car and headed for the house.
“ Boss since the case is closed and we are going back home tomorrow I was wondering if I could go to a book reading at the café down the street?” McGee asked. Gibbs didn’t say anything.
“ Boss I have a date with Darlene” Tony said. Gibbs stopped the car with a screech.
“ Find your own way back” Gibbs said in a gruff voice. Tony and McGee jumped out before Gibbs sped off again.
Gibbs drove up the drive way of the house and Kate got out and waited for him to open the door. He let her go inside first as he was after all he is a gentleman, sometimes. Kate goes straight up to the bedroom and starts to pack her things ready to leave in the morning. When she was done she decided to do Tony’s belongings as she knew he wouldn’t be home in time to do it himself. It didn’t take her long as he didn’t bring much.
‘ Typical male’ she thought to herself. She takes a breath before leaving the safety of her room. She walked down the hall and entered McGee’s room to pack his things up to but to her surprise he had already done it.
‘ Great now what do I do?’ she asked herself standing in the doorway of McGee’s room. She walked down the hall and saw Gibbs packing everything up in the lounge room.
Kate sat on the lounge and turned on the TV and the news came on. She watched it no intention to make any sort of contact with Gibbs.
‘ I cant bare to look or talk to him at the moment. The way he talked to me its like I mean nothing to him. I just cant wait to go home’ she thinks to herself as she watch the pictures flash up o n the screen not paying any attention to what they are saying.
“ Chinese ok for diner?” Gibbs asked breaking the long silence.
“ Sure” Kate replied turning around to face him.
‘ Damnit. I said I wouldn’t look at him and now I’m looking at him, and I can’t look away. Those blue are drawing me in’ the thoughts run through her head. She smiles and finally turns away. She hears Gibbs pick up the phone and make the order. Soon after she felt his presents next to her on the lounge. She could feel his eyes on her.
“ Are you and Tony..” he couldn’t find the right words to finish his sentence. Kate looked at him trying to figure out what he wants to know. It didn’t take her long to get what he was trying to say.
“ Oh no. God no. Why would you think that?” she asked looking at him. He just shook his head not knowing what to say. She looked at him trying to read his thoughts. Like usual she couldn’t so she went back to watching the news.
“ You thought I liked Melissa Dorin?” he asks. He doesn’t know why he is doing this. Perhaps its because he felt bad for yelling at her before or because they were finally alone together. Kate hung her head. He had obviously overheard her and Tony’s discussion earlier. She turned to look at him slowly.
“ Gibbs you were flirting with her so of course that’s what I would think” she said. Just then the door bell rang. Gibbs got up straight away to answer it. It was diner. He pulled out his wallet to pay for the meal and came back to the lounge and pulled out the contents of the bag on to the coffee table in front of them.
“ I got you some chow mien, is that alright?” he asks as he hands her the white container.
“ Yes, Thankyou Gibbs” she said taking it from him. They started to eat in silence when Kate decided to break the silence this time.
“ So was I right?”
“ About what?”
“ Melissa Dorin” she said with out hesitation.
“ Kate, she was a murder suspect I did what was necessary to get the truth from her”
“ So you don’t like her?” she asked. He didn’t say anything, just shook his head. Kate’s heart was doing back flips.
‘ Maybe Tony was right, maybe he does actually like me and maybe I do actually have a chance with him. Although there is one small problem…rule #12’ she thought as she took another mouthful of chow mien.
“ Why are you and Tony so close?” he asked not wanting to stop talking, he likes the sound of her voice. Kate swallowed before she started to talk.
“ Well after what happened on the roof 3 years ago he came around to my place and…opened up to me. Told me how scared he was if I ad died and that he would actually miss me. We talked about a lot of things and since then we’ve become a lot closer but I can guarantee its only a brother/sister relationship nothing more, nothing less” without hesitation. She wanted Gibbs to know this in the hope he would open up to her. Gibbs freezes as his mind travels back to the horrid day. The feeling in his gut, the quick thinking as the gunshot was heard the bullet whizzed past their heads, just missing Kate’s. His mind came back and he took in his surroundings.
“ Scared” he said softly.
“ What?’
“ I was scared. I had never come so close to losing an agent, especially a female one. I was angry that he was targeting you and all I wanted to do was kill him. It was at the moment when I knew you were that I realised that I…” he stopped himself before he went any further. He looked up at Kate and she was looking at him with wide eyes.
“ Gibbs I had no idea. When you pulled me down I had no idea what was going on until I heard the gun shot. Gibbs you saved my life and I still haven’t repaid you for it”
“ Kate there is no need” but Kate cut him off.
“ Gibbs, please you need to know how much…” she stopped herself before she said something she regretted.
‘ If I don’t say it now, I never will get the chance’ she thought to her self as she looked deep into his blue eyes. She moved closer to him not taking her eyes off him.
“ Gibbs…I…I” she stammered not able to from the words she wants.
‘ I love you. Its that simple. Just say it, I love you’ she thinks to herself.
“ I…” she tries again but nothing.
Gibbs leans closer to her and kisses her sweetly on the lips. Kate’s breath leaves her as she is taken aback by his action. They both take in the tastes of each other slowly and passionately. Gibbs broke away from the kiss and looked at Kate who still had her eyes closed and was still in shock after what had just happened.
“ Gibbs, I had no idea” she said looking at him with hope in her eyes. He smiled at her and cupped her face with one hand.
“ And I did?” he said with a little laugh.
“ Well no we both know” she said with a smile and moved in for another kiss. This time it was more deep and meaningful. Kate slowly took over the kiss and pushed him back against the lounge so she was lying on top of him. He stops their kiss once again.
“ Katie, are you sure?” he asks seriously.
“ I’ve never been so sure in my life” she replies with a smile and another kiss.
Gibbs sat up wrapping his arms around her small body. He stood up and Kate wrapped her legs around his waist. He walked down the hall and entered his bedroom, shutting the door behind him with his foot. He places her on the bed gently. Kate quickly pulls his shirt off and throws it on the floor. Gibbs struggles with her skirt but finally gets it off and throws it away. Within second they are both naked. Gibbs ran his hands all over her body, taking in every inch of her.

Kate woke up and saw Gibbs arm draped over her stomach. She smiled to herself but then remembered where she was and that Tony and McGee would be home soon…if they weren’t home already. She slowly moved his arm and got out of bed and slipped her undies and top back on. She carefully open the door and had a peak down the hall. She didn’t see Tony or McGee and the TV was still turned on.
‘ Thank god’ she thought to herself. She quickly ran across the hall to her and Tony’s bedroom and climbed into the empty bed. She closed her eyes and thought of what she and her boss just did. She knew it was wrong but when they both wanted it, was it so wrong?
‘ Oh Gibbs’ she thought to herself as she fell back to sleep.
“ Kate” Tony yelled into the bedroom.
“ What?” Kate gasped sitting up in bed, not knowing what was going on.
“ Where leaving in 20 minutes” he said laughing. Kate sighed as she threw the covers off her and got up and headed for the bathroom.
The drive home was long and quiet. Kate sat in the front with Gibbs and it was hard for her to not look at him.
“ So what did you guys get up to last night?” Tony asked. Kate and Gibbs looked at each other before Kate answered him.
“ Ordered Chinese and watched some movie” she said with a smile.
“ What movie?” Tony asked.
“ Uh…Fight Club I think it was” Kate said quickly.
“ What did you think of it?” Tony asked.
“ DiNozzo” Gibbs warned and he shut up.
The following week at work was normal, considering what had happened that night.
Tony and McGee didn’t pick up on the secret looks exchanged by Kate and Gibbs. Gibbs got up from his desk and made his way to the back elevator.
“ Wonder where he is going” Tony said to no one in particular.
“ Kate” he yelled back, and she stood up and made her way to him. McGee and Tony gave her sympathetic and interested looks.
She stands next to him in front of the elevator. It dings open and he steps inside and she follows him. The doors close and he hits the emergency switch.
“ We need to talk” he says not looking at her.
“ I agree” she says.
“ I don’t regret what we did” he says finally looking at her.
“ Neither do I” she agreed with him again. He smiled at her and she smiled back.
“ Gibbs I want this to go further but I have a feeling you don’t feel the same” she said. He sighed.
“ I want that to, its just…romance between agents never works, Kate” he said.
“ So you’ve said before” she said with a little smile.
“ I’m sorry Katie” he said softly.
“ Never say your sorry, it’s a sign of weakness” she said then kissed him for the last time. She switched the emergency switch and the lights came back on. As soon as the doors opened and Gibbs stepped out and went back to the bullpen. Kate watched him. It was like he was walking out of her life, although she knew she would see him nearly every day.

“ Hey Tony, can you tell Gibbs I wont be coming in for the rest of the week” Kate said as she laid in bed talking to him on her mobile.
“ Is everything alright? First it was Monday, then Tuesday now the rest of the week” Tony asked.
“ I’m fine…for now. Thanks Tony” and with that she hung up.
“ Kate?” he said into the phone but no reply. He slammed the phone down.
“ What’s wrong?” McGee asked.
“ Kate’s not coming in for the rest of the week”.
“ She must be really sick” McGee said.
“ She came to work with a cold so it must be serious” Tony agreed. Gibbs then entered the bullpen.
“ Boss, Kate wont be coming in for the rest of the week” Tony informed him. Gibbs stopped and turned to Tony.
“ Did she say why?” he asked.
“ Nope” Tony said looking at Gibbs. Gibbs said nothing, just starting walking again. He went down to talk to Abby, to see if she knew anything.
“ Abby!” Gibbs yelled as he entered her lab.
“ I’m right here Gibbs, you don’t need to yell” she said spinning around on her chair to face him.
“ What’s wrong with Kate?” he asks her.
“ Kate? No idea. I thought she was fine” she said.
“ Then why is she taking the hole week off?”
“ I don’t know. Did you do something?” she asked him. He stood up straight.
“ No” he said quickly. Abby stairs at him.
“ Just go check on her” he said turning to walk away. Abby shook her head.
“ Now Abby” he called back. Abby took her coat off and grabbed her bag and was on her way to Kate’s. She didn’t mind, she got out of work.
“ I’m coming” Kate yelled as she ran for the door. She opened it and was surprised to see Abby standing there.
“ Hey, what are you doing here?” she asks.
“ Gibbs sent me over. He said your not coming to work for the rest of the week. Is everything ok?” Abby said.
“ Yes fine” Kate said quickly. Abby stared at her knowing quite well something was wrong. Kate couldn’t hold it in anymore.
“ I’m pregnant” she blurted out. Abby was not expecting that.
“ What? Are you sure?” Abby exclaimed.
“ Yep” Kate said as she slumped down on the lounge. Abby walked over and joined her.
“ Who’s the dad?” Abby asked. Kate looked at her, almost ashamed to say it.
“ Come on Kate you can tell me?” Abby pushed. Kate shook her head. It looked like she was about to cry.
“ Katie, please talk to me. Come on it’s not like it’s Gibbs or anything” she said jokingly. Kate looked up to her, speaking with her eyes.
“ It is Gibbs” Abby exclaimed.
“ When?” Abby asked.
“ Do you remember that leg we found a couple of weeks back?”
“ Yep”
“ Well the night before we came back home it was him and me and we just…” she stopped.
“ Have you told him…are you going to tell him?” Abby asked.
“ No. We talked last week and agreed that we can’t be together and now I’m having his baby, how do I tell him that?” she said.
“ Kate you have to let him know, sooner rather then later. He needs to know and you need to tell him” Abby said. She stood up.
“ I’ll be here if you need me but for now tell Gibbs” she said kissed Kate on the forehead and left.
‘ Abby’s right. I need to tell him. Today.’ She thought to herself.

Tony sits at his desk starring at his computer screen.
McGee is typing quickly on his key board.
Gibbs is leaning back in his chair with his hands over his face. Tony’s attention turned to the ding of the elevator, as it was the only thing that has happened all day.
“ Kate” he said surprised to see her as it was her that said she wasn’t coming in. He stood up. Gibbs sat up in his chair. He could tell something was wrong with her. It looked like she hasn’t slept in days.
“ I thought you weren’t coming in” Tony said as she reached the bullpen.
“ I wasn’t but I have to talk to Gibbs” she said looking over at him. Gibbs got up and walked over to her.
“ I’m listening” he said in a guff voice.
“ Can we go somewhere more private?” she asked. Gibbs walked past her and went for the elevator. She followed him and walked in the elevator when the doors opened.
Kate hit the emergency switch once the doors where closed. Gibbs turned and looked at her. Kate took a deep breath before speaking.
“ Abby came and saw me. She said you ordered her to come and check on me. I’m not sick I just couldn’t bring myself to come to work” she told him. So many things were going through her mind.
“ Why?” he asked.
“ Because of you” she simply said. He gave a chuckle, not taking it seriously. He was used to be blamed for everything.
“ Gibbs what we did in that house that night was a mistake. I wanted it and I’m pretty sure you wanted it but now I see it was a mistake” she said.
“ You said last week that you don’t regret anything and now it’s a mistake? What is going on Kate” he said, his voice rising slowly. Kate took a deep breath and closed her eyes.
“ I’m pregnant” she told him. Gibbs froze. He couldn’t believe what she has just told him. She opened her eyes and saw him looking at her. He didn’t say anything.
“ Gibbs” she said softly.
“ Kate, I” he stammered.
“ I just want to say that I’m keeping it,”
“ I would hope so” he said quickly. Kate was shocked at what he said.
“ and it’s ok if you don’t want to be apart of this babies life, all I ask for is to be treating the same at work” she finished.
“ Kate, I want to be apart of this babies life, why would you think I wouldn’t?” he asked.
“ Because of all the romance between agents crap you always pull” she said defensively.
“ This is a life we are talking about not some fling that lasts 2 weeks” he informed her. Kate looked at him. She was so confused. She didn’t know what he wanted and it was eating her inside not knowing.
“ Gibbs, I want this baby to have a family, to be brought up surrounded by love, just like I was. I understand if you want something different” she said. Gibbs sighed and walked towards her. He took her hands and squeezed them.
“ Kate, I am offering you a family with love and safety. I do not want something different. I want you and our baby. I was only trying to protect you before, but now I am going to protect you” he said then kissed her. She was surprised at what he just said and did.
“ What do we do now?” she asks quietly.
“ You move in” he simply said.