- Text Size +
C is for Christmas

Tony glanced up from his lazy position on the couch at the sound of heavy footsteps on the stairs. He watched curiously as his silver-haired lover made his way over to the coat rack behind the door, grabbing his heavy winter coat off the hook.

“Where you goin’?” Tony asked, pushing himself up on his elbows to peer over the edge of the couch.

“Mrs. Simmons’, down the street. Needs help shovelin’ her driveway,” the older man responded, slipping his feet into his boots before he glanced back at his partner, a fond smile tugging at his lips. “You wanna come with me?”

Releasing a quiet sigh, Tony sank back down on the comfortable couch cushions, waving Gibbs off. “No. Think I’m just gonna hang out, watch some more TV.”

“Suit yourself,” Gibbs responded with a shrug. “I’ll be home in a bit. Think you can stay outta trouble?”

“Ha. Freakin’. Ha,” Tony responded moodily as he grabbed the throw from the back of the couch, pulling it down over his body.

Pausing at the door, Gibbs glanced back at Tony once more before he shook his head and headed out into the snowstorm. It had been snowing for nearly twenty-four hours already, Tony realized as he pushed himself up, peering out of the front window as Gibbs made his trek down the street. Twenty-four hours, and according to the weather man on Channel Six, it didn’t seem like it was going to be letting up any time soon. Releasing another sigh, Tony flopped back down against the cushions again, tossing the remote control onto the coffee table.

He’d been bored out of his mind, unable to find anything to occupy him as Gibbs hid out in the basement , working on that damned boat.

Sighing heavily, Tony realized that Christmas was only a mere sixteen days away, and they had yet to put up a Christmas tree or any holiday decorations. He wasn’t nearly into Christmas or the holiday season in general as Abby and Kate were, but he did have to admit that it bummed him out a little that Gibbs seemingly had no intention of decorating, short of having pulled the boxes out of the attic.

Turning the TV off and ultimately deciding that Gibbs’ Christmas gift was going to be a cable box, he stood up and walked over to the pile of boxes that sat in the corner of the dining room near the base of the stairs. It had taken three days of begging and pleading to even make his lover consider pulling out the decorations, and Tony would be damned if they weren’t going to use them.

The Christmas tree was out, he decided as he sifted through the boxes, eyeing the tangled Christmas lights with distaste. Gibbs had insisted that when it came time for the tree, he’d only have a real one and the weather wasn’t exactly conducive to going out and getting one.

Pushing that box aside, he grabbed the next, smirking at the bunched up icicle lights inside. “You’re a regular Clark Griswold, aren’t ya boss?” He muttered as he stood, carrying the box over to the front door. He wasn’t sure that he’d manage to get them all up before the older man returned from his neighbor’s house, but he hoped that perhaps his efforts would encourage Gibbs to finish the decorations.

Pushing the box closer to the door, he headed upstairs and into the spare bedroom, pulling out one of his heavier winter jackets to wear while putting up the lights. Rummaging through the closet where the majority of his winter clothes were stored, he grabbed a hat and a pair of gloves, shoving them into the pocket of his coat. He snatched up the pair of boots and slipped them onto his feet with ease before he hurried back downstairs, feeling more excited than he had in days.

Lifting the box carefully, he carried it outside onto the snow-covered porch, shivering as the wind bit at his cheeks. Zipping the jacket up as high as it would go, he tugged the hat down over his hair before he slipped his hands into the gloves. He’d never been a huge fan of the snow, though he had to admit that this was probably one of the worst storms he’d seen in his thirty-two years.

Tony stepped off the porch tentatively, squinting down the street in the direction of Mrs. Simmons’ house. The sound of a shovel scraping against pavement carried down the street despite the roar of the wind as the snow was whipped around him. Wrapping his arms around his body in an effort to keep warm, he headed around the side of the house, making his way to the garage slowly.

“Son of a…!” He cursed as his feet began to slide on the icy driveway. Reaching out, he grabbed the mirror on the sedan, steadying himself before he released a loud sigh, swiping at the snow on his face.

After he righted himself, he took a moment to survey the driveway before he started again slowly. Kicking the snow away from the garage door with his foot, he pushed it open and stepped inside, his teeth already chattering.

He took shelter in the garage momentarily, thankful to be out of the biting wind. Spotting the ladder he had been looking for, he made his way toward it before lifting it over his shoulder. Looking outside as he headed back toward the open garage door, he saw that the snow was still falling heavily and he almost changed his mind about decorating the house.

Setting his jaw, he shifted the ladder on his shoulder before he stepped back out into the wintery mess, pulling the garage door shut behind him.

He made his way carefully around the front of the house, groaning as he moved the heavy ladder off of his shoulder. Setting it down in the thick snow, he propped it up against the house, eyeing it momentarily before he hurried up onto the porch to the box.

He grabbed a strand of lights, pleased to see they weren’t tangled too badly and after a moment, he decided he was ready. Stepping down off the porch carefully, he made his way over to the ladder and climbed up slowly, his frozen hands gripping the rungs.

His fingers were clumsy as he attempted to hang the lights, the harsh sting of the wind against his face making it difficult to see. Reaching up, he swiped at his face with the arm of his jacket, his teeth chattering again as he tried to clear his vision. The snow was still falling heavily around him, though it appeared that it had started to mix with ice.

Pausing momentarily, Tony draped the lights over the top rung of the ladder as he glanced down at the ground below. It had been a bad idea, he realized, attempting to hang freakin’ Christmas lights in the middle of a blizzard and with a roll of his eyes, he started his descent, intent on going back inside and warming up before Gibbs caught him.

About halfway back down the ladder, his foot slipped on one of the rungs, nearly making him fall. He managed to correct himself, getting his foot back in place and pausing for a moment, trying to catch his breath. His entire body was trembling now, though whether it was from the cold air or the fact that he’d almost fallen, he wasn’t sure. Chalking it up to a mix of both, he shook his head and started back down again.

He felt his foot when it started to slip again, though his clumsy fingers wouldn’t cooperate as he grasped for the sides of the ladder. A surprised gasp escaped him as he felt himself falling backwards. He hit the ground hard, his head thudding loudly against the icy ground before everything went black.

::::::

Gibbs smiled at the kindly older woman as she pressed a small tin filled with homemade cookies into his hands. “Really, Mrs. Simmons, you don’t have to give me anything,” he said, peeking inside.

“It’s the least I can do, Jethro,” she smiled, patting his shoulder gently. “You’ll enjoy them, and I think Anthony will too.”

He smiled knowingly. “Yeah, he will. I’ll be back tomorrow morning before work, alright? Hopefully won’t be too much more snow tonight.”

“Thank you again,” she said, closing the door as he stepped off the porch and started back down the street.

The wind was getting strong as the day went on, it seemed, and the snow didn’t look like it was planning on letting up any time soon. As he approached the house, a confused look crossed his face when he spotted the ladder leaning against the roof. Picking up his pace, he frowned darkly when he saw the strand of Christmas lights hung on the top rung of the ladder and realizing that Tony was nowhere to be found.

“Tony!” He called, jogging toward the house when he stopped suddenly, seeing his lover laying in the snow, unmoving. Dropping the tin of cookies, he fell to his knees beside the younger man, checking for a pulse.

Gibbs released a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding when he felt his lover’s pulse before pushing himself to his feet. Leaning down, he made an attempt to pick the younger man up when the Italian’s eyes fluttered open. “Wh… Gibbs? Where… Where am I?”

“You’re outside, fell off the damn ladder,” Gibbs responded gruffly, offering his hand. Helping him to his feet, he pulled Tony’s arm over his shoulder, steadying him when he swayed slightly. “Easy.”

Everything was spinning as the silver-haired man helped him inside the house, leading him over to the couch in front of the fire. His entire body was trembling as Gibbs sat him down, helping him out of his heavy jacket and gloves before wrapping him in a blanket. Standing up from the couch, he placed a reassuring hand on Tony’s shoulder before making his way into the kitchen to make him a cup of hot chocolate. Returning a few minutes later, he couldn’t help but be concerned by the way that the younger man stared at the fire absently.

“Tony?” He asked, taking his seat next to him again, pressing the warm mug into his hands. “Hey! DiNozzo!”

The brunette didn’t respond, accepting the mug out of reflex more than anything. Gibbs snapped his fingers in front of the younger man’s face, grateful when he flinched, his eyes focusing as he glanced down at the cup. Sighing heavily, Gibbs realized that his lover most likely had a concussion.

“Drink, Tony. Need to warm you up.”

“’M fine,” the younger man muttered, though his teeth were still chattering loudly. “Jus’ a li’l tired.”

“Wasn’t a suggestion, DiNozzo. Drink the damn hot chocolate! What the hell were you doin’ out on the roof anyway in this weather?” The older agent demanded.

“Huh?”

Gibbs sighed, running a hand over his face. “Ya don’t remember being on the roof?”

“The… the roof? What?” He lifted the warm mug to his lips, taking a long drink of the hot liquid before he placed the cup on the table, tugging the blanket tighter around his body. “’S cold, boss.”

“Yeah, that’s usually what happens when you decide to nap in the snow,” he responded, his voice harsher than he’d intended. He was concerned about his lover. He didn’t like the fact that Tony couldn’t remember being up on the damn ladder, nor did he like the way his entire body trembled, despite the roaring fire.

Reaching down, Gibbs tugged roughly on the younger man’s feet, helping him out of his heavy boots before he stood.

“Gibbs?”

“I’ll be right back, Tony. Try not to fall off the couch while I’m gone,” he snorted, shaking his head as he hurried up the stairs. Pushing the door open, he grabbed a fresh pair of warm sweatpants for Tony before grabbing the heavy comforter off of the bed. Making his way back downstairs, he frowned at seeing his boy sprawled out on the couch, his eyelids closed.

“DiNozzo,” he growled, resisting the urge to headslap him. He was pleased when Tony’s green eyes fluttered open, surveying him warily.

“’M tired,” he repeated.

“Yeah, I know. Gotta get you warmed up though.”

It was a chore trying to get the damp pants off of his lover’s body, and it didn’t help that Tony kept squirming away from his touch, slapping his hands away and insisting that he could dress himself.

“I don’ need you to take care of me,” the younger man grunted petulantly. “I can take care of myself.”

“Uh huh. Just like you took care of yourself after you fell off the ladder?”

“I can’t help that it was icy!”

“You should have never been outside anyway!”

“Well someone had to put up the stupid Christmas lights! I’ve been telling you for almost two weeks now that we needed to decorate and you just kept putting it off! I really didn’t think I was asking for all that much, Jethro! Just a few strands of lights!”

“I said I’d get around to ‘em!”

“When? After Christmas?” Tony huffed before he sank back against the cushions, his aching head cradled in his hands.

He heard Gibbs sigh beside him before the older man’s hand was on his wrist, tugging him gently against his chest. Rather than fighting, he allowed his lover to wrap his arms around him, savoring the warmth his body provided.

“Not much of a Christmas man, Tony,” Gibbs said after awhile. “Haven’t been since… Well, in a long time.”

“’m not either, but I thought this year migh’ be different,” Tony mumbled, his voice slurred slightly.

“I was gonna put ‘em up after this snow storm cleared.”

“’m not really a patient guy.”

“Ya think?” Gibbs snorted, a fond smile forming on his lips as he ran his fingers lightly against his lover’s back before he reached for the comforter he brought down, wrapping Tony’s shivering body in it.

“Gibbs?”

“Hmm?”

“’M tired.”

“Yeah, I know. Gotta stay awake a little longer though.”

“Gibbs?”

“What?”

“Can we at least watch a movie?”

“Sure, Tony. Whatever you want.”

Releasing a quiet sigh, the younger man snuggled closer to his lover, pressing his face against Gibbs’ chest, breathing in his scent. “On secon’ thought… you just stay right here, kay? Warm.”

“Alright, Tony.”

The Italian fell silent and for a moment, Gibbs was afraid he’d fallen asleep. Pulling away just slightly, he frowned, peering down at his face.

“Gibbs?”

The older man released a sigh of relief before he pulled Tony close to his chest again.

“What, DiNozzo?”

“Love you.”

Grinning broadly at that, Gibbs leaned down, pressing a gentle kiss to the top of the younger man’s head. “Yeah… Love you too.”

::::::

“You missed a spot.”

“I’m not finished yet.”

“Well, you’re all out of those shiny bulb things and you have a huge hole right there,” Tony pointed out from his place on the couch, trying desperately to hide his smirk.

“Didn’t realized you’d become such a master of Christmas tree decorating.”

“I’m not, but even I know that you can’t have holes in the tree. You have too many near the top. Move a few down.”

“DiNozzo,” Gibbs growled in warning, his back to the younger man.

“I didn’t complain when you picked out the Charlie Brown tree, Gibbs, but at least decorate it properly!”

“You wanna do this?” The older man asked, turning to scowl at his partner.

“Nope… I’m not allowed up on the ladder any more, remember?” The younger man reminded him smugly, taking another sip of his hot chocolate.

“I knew we should’a got Abs over here to decorate this thing,” Gibbs grumbled, turning back to glare at the tree.

“Listen, I love Abby as much as the next guy, but I’m not having our first Christmas tree decorated with skulls and cross-bones. Maybe next year.”

“Like the Ferrari ornaments are any better.”

“Hey, those are classics.”

“They’re gaudy.”

“And they go perfectly with our Charlie Brown tree.”

Gibbs scoffed, climbing down off the ladder. “I don’t think it’s that bad.”

“Ehhh…” Tony shrugged, sipping his hot chocolate. “It’s alright, I guess.”

“Okay. That’s it. No tree next year,” the silver-haired man declared, tossing the last of the ornaments in the box.

“Jet… C’mon. You know I was only kidding,” the Italian said, standing up and making his way over to his lover. “It’s perfect.”

The older man looked at him warily, unsure of his intentions. “Don’t have to kiss my ass, Tony.”

“Aww, and here I thought that was what you liked most about me.” He offered his best pout, sticking his bottom lip out playfully.

Gibbs growled and leaned forward, stealing a kiss from the younger man. “There’s lots of things I like about you.”

The brunette smirked deviously. “Think I could use any of them to convince you to throw a New Year’s Party?”

“Mmm…” He kissed him again, debating the proposition in his head. “I don’t think so.”

“Aww! C’mon, Jethro!”

“Baby steps, DiNozzo. Baby steps.”