- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Some backstory on Fletcher and Puchalski. Gibbs goes to see Tony.
The morning had been quiet for Luis Puchalski, after the previous night's escapades in tracking down Petty Officer Bernadetti the required paperwork came as a relief. The bust had been clean, Bernadetti had caused no trouble and confessed to drugs smuggling without a push. It was almost too easy.

The outing had been a first for the new junior agent Fletcher, having recently been assigned to Puchalski to learn the ropes. He was a cocky little shit but then he always had been even when they'd served together in the Corps. They had taken very different paths yet somehow both ended up at NCIS. Luis because he had caught the eye of a senior agent, willing to help a kid out. Seb had always wanted to serve his country but after issues involving a not so empty room, Luis Puchalski and a whole lot of nakedness he and Luis had been forced out of the Marines. He had then joined the police force, honing his investigative craft until a job opportunity within NCIS fell into his lap while working on the homicide of a young woman who had been dating a naval officer.

Fletcher looked over to Luis, watching his piercing blue eyes stare at his computer screen. They had both been stationed at Camp LeJeune, Seb when we was 19 and Luis when he was 21. Fletcher had been headstrong and felt older than his years, but never thinking of the consequences of his own actions. Luis had been similar though very different. While Seb had always been very independent, Luis had been very family orientated, very close with his mother especially but always wanting to live up to his father's - a fellow Marine - expectations.

The phone was shrill and blended in with the noise of the office, Fletcher lazily picked up the receiver. "Fletcher." Was all that was said other than some vague grunts and 'mmm's. Shrugging as he put the phone down he swivelled in his chair. "You, senior field agent Puchalski are wanted for an MTAC conference." Seb tried to look as uninterested as possible, spinning in his chair for a few turns before stopping himself as he became more and more dizzy.

Luis stretched and locked his computer - he'd learned to do that six hours after being reacquainted with Seb, after he returned from the head to find some quite inappropriate pictures gracing his screen. He made his way towards the video conferencing room contemplating the reason behind his summons. "Punch it up." He spoke as soon as he entered the room.

Jenny Shepherd's face appeared from MTAC, he'd seen her last in Lublin where he'd acted as translator - his Polish roots coming in useful for the European field office.

"Madame Director, you look well." She smiled wanly on the video screen.

"I want you and Fletcher here at HQ."

"Is there an issue with the Bernadetti case?" Luis asked confused. It was the only case he'd worked on fully with Fletcher.

"Flights have been booked, we need you here ASAP."

"Can I ask why?"

"Gibbs' team has just lost two members, agent Todd was killed in action and agent DiNozzo is incapacitated."

"Is he alright?"

"Your flight to Frankfurt is in eight hours, that should leave you time to pack. You'll fly on to Washington from there." With that the screen went blank and Luis stood dumbfounded. He always knew he'd see Gibbs again but he didn't think it would be under these circumstances.

â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"

Gibbs hated hospitals, there was a distinct smell that disgusted him. He knew it was sanitary but it just seemed like the worst environment to be in to heal.

Sighting agent Sutton sitting by a closed door Gibbs made his way over to him before being intercepted by Colin Davis, two styrofoam cups in his hands.

"Gibbs." Sympathetic, Gibbs was getting tired of that. "They brought him back from surgery an hour or so ago." Gibbs nodded striding past Davis and not even acknowledging Daniel Sutton who rose from his seat upon Gibbs' approach.

Jethro opened the door revealing a small dark hospital room, dominated by a large gurney. If either Sutton or Davis had thought to follow Gibbs into the room they were cut off as Gibbs shut the door as soon as he entered, it slammed loudly in the quiet room. Gibbs almost expected DiNozzo to rise at the sound but he didn't, the only sounds came from the various machines surrounding the prone agent. A static silence pierced by beeps and whirrs. The beeping confirmation of a heartbeat came as a comfort. The small window at the far end of the room provided little light.

The sheet covering DiNozzo camouflaged most of the injuries Ducky had listed, only a scrape on one cheek and a crisp clean bandage on Tony's head were visible.

Gibbs didn't know quite what to do, he had not been prepared for the fact that Tony would not be his usual self upon his arrival. Moving to stand at the foot of the bed Gibbs took Tony's chart from its cubby, flicking through the pages without understanding what was written.

He walked to the window, looking out at a courtyard below. White coats striding confidently, dressing gowns and slippers shuffling. The patients stubborn struggle to simply make it from one side of a courtyard to the other seemed so poignant. Turning, Gibbs looked to the prostrate figure on the bed. There would be no struggling shuffle for DiNozzo. Jethro's head dropped in sorrow, he had witnessed so much hurt and death in his time but the demise of Kate, the debilitation of Tony was more heartrending than any of his other fallen comrades.

Looking around the room once more Gibbs pondered, from Ducky's assessment DiNozzo was sure to be spending a great deal of time in this room - if not this room then one very similar. He made a mental note to have Ducky or someone pass by Tony's apartment and pick up a few essentials. But what would he consider essential upon waking? Knowing DiNozzo it would be A Clockwork Orange.

Gibbs walked over to DiNozzo, his face largely covered by an oxygen mask. Fogging and a light rise and fall of his chest confirmed breath still flowed in and out of his still frame. Jethro bent, whispering to the unconscious agent. "You are under strict orders DiNozzo. Get better and get back to work."

Gibbs stood and stalked back to the door, throwing it open and startling Sutton in the process.

When Gibbs emerged from the hospital he fumbled with his cell phone, switching it on as he walked towards where his NCIS issue car was parked. The phone sprang to life, lighting up with McGee's name.

"McGee." Gibbs answered the phone as he located the car keys and unlocked the car from a distance. He listened to McGee on the other end for a few seconds as he approached the car. "I'm on my way." Jethro snapped the phone shut, opened the driver side door and threw the phone onto the passenger side seat before throwing himself into his own seat.

â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"

"I hate flying." Fletcher stretched and pulled the headphones around his neck, he'd been watching the inflight movie for only a few seconds. Luis slammed his book down in annoyance and turned to the junior agent.

He had been given mere hours to pack up his life in Naples and he was beginning to get a little short with his companion. Too many times had he been required to suddenly up and leave with just a moments notice. It was irritating and having to play babysitter made it all the worse.

"Shouldn't you be more annoyed than me?"

"At what?"

"You've just moved to Italy, and now you are ordered back to the States. I'm annoyed."

"I hadn't really unpacked." Fletcher shrugged. "Just been grabbing stuff out of boxes and cases as I need them."

Luis sighed in annoyance again, finding that answer even more irritating. Seb was always so put together and well dressed, like he took a lot of care over his appearance. The fact he was living out of unpacked boxes made this feat quite impressive. That is why Puchalski was annoyed, Fletcher put so little effort into looking effortlessly good. Bastard. Irritating bastard.

Sebastian Fletcher was an enigma, Luis decided. He couldn't really be considered good looking, but he exuded such an air of confidence and charisma that men and women tended to fall at his feet. Luis himself had fallen victim to his charm. Seb was one of the only people in the world that could pull off any outfit and make it look in style. On the stop over at Frankfurt Luis had imagined him in lederhosen. He wasn't proud of it, not only for the weirdness but also for the fact that they were no where near Bavaria.

Luis closed his eyes tight at the remembered image, his face scrunching along with his eyes.

"Were you thinking of me naked again?" Seb was grinning when Luis' eyes flew open to glare. "So are you a member of the mile-high club?" Fletcher leered.

"Yes now shut up and watch your stupid movie." Puchalski spat, opening his book and flicking through the pages to where he had been previously reading. Fletcher snorted out a laugh and did as he was told, taking the headphones from around his neck and rearranging them on his head.
Chapter End Notes:
This is not only my first attempt at NCIS fanfiction but my very first attempt at writing anything serious - everything in my past has been humour based. So believe me feedback is greatly appreciated.