- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ziva shows up at NCIS as Gibbs tries to prove Ari's guilt. Ducky visits Tony.
Gibbs walked into the bullpen spotting McGee in a far corner gesturing to agent Balboa as Balboa in turn shrugged back. Gibbs made his way over only to be stopped, seeing an unfamiliar woman sitting behind Kate's desk. She was dressed in fatigues, one elbow on the desk while resting her head on her hand looking exasperated at McGee and Balboa.

"Boss!" McGee yelled seeing Gibbs approach. The woman's head spun in his direction before jumping up and thrusting her hand out.

"Ziva David. Mossad." Gibbs assessed the woman before him but ignored the outstretched hand.

McGee rushed over to the two as they stood almost sizing each other up.

"She's Ari's control officer."

"And I am here to stop you from murdering a Mossad agent."

"Unless you have an army hidden in one of those pockets, I don't think you are going to stop me."

"What evidence do you have that proves Ari is at fault here. From what I have heard it seems more likely that you missed a member of the cell Ari was undercover in and they shot your agents." Ziva looked up seeing the Director descend the stairs. "Shalom Jen."

Shepherd moved to Ziva, kissing her cheek. "Shalom."

A muted ringing interrupted and Ziva grabbed for a cell phone hidden in a pocket at her thigh.

"Mah nishmah?" Ziva moved off, away from the ears of Gibbs and Shepherd.

"What the hell is she doing here Jen?" Gibbs turned accusingly at the Director.

"Jethro she is protecting her man, just like you would be if the situation was reversed."

"None of my people are homicidal."

"Except you perhaps Jethro."

"I'm not homicidal Jen." GIbbs sighed. "I just want revenge, and if that means killing the man that shot Gerald and me, and if my gut is right Tony and Kate as well then so be it."

"Gibbs all i'm asking for is some evidence, a hint of proof that it was Ari in that snipers nest."

"Abby is working on it."

â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"

The music was pumping a harsh beat into the lab as Abby bounced a caffeinated jig in front of her computer.

Three large Caff-Pow containers sat on the table behind her and a series of rifles were stacked up to her right. On the large screen - a mirror of the one she was currently jigging in front of - was a series of pictures.

"What've you got Abs?"

"How's Tony."

"Still out. So What do you have?"

"I recovered two bullets from the car that match the rifle casings found in the snipers nest. Lapua.308's. I was able to confirm that the bullet recovered from Tony was fired from the same gun as them." The screen blinked off when Abby pressed a few keys, she swivelled around and addressed the series of rifles. "The FBI database gave me six weapons whose rifling patterns fit the bullets. I've been able to eliminate all but three: the Tango-51, Bravo-51 and-"

"A Marine M3-A1 sniper rifle." Gibbs interrupted, hand hovering over said weapon. "Don't tell me he was hand-loading and moly-coating?"

"Yeah, I found traces of molybdenum disulphide. How did you know?"

"I used hand-loaded Lapua.308, boattail, full metal jacket, moly-coated bullets as a sniper." A sudden realisation came across Gibbs' face. "Have McGee run a trace on Bravo-51 sales, last six weeks in the tristate area."

"Sure Gibbs." Abby turned back to her screen, her screen coming back to life as she typed furiously, teeth gnawing at her bottom lip. "Is your gut telling you something?" Abby turned to an empty room, Gibbs having left silently.

â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"

A flask in one hand and two mugs in his other Ducky stepped off the elevator, walking passed the nurses station, spotting the monitor for DiNozzo.T. His vitals looked good.

"I bring refreshments." Ducky cheerily announced to the weary agents sitting stoically outside Tony's room. "And news. Your replacements should be along soon."

Sutton and Davis looked relieved. Daniel stood, taking the offered flask and mugs. He sat the mugs on the ground and opened the flask, breathing deep he smelled the rich coffee.

"Doctors and nurses have been going in and out pretty steadily but there's been no emergencies." Sutton said before sitting once more.

Ducky smiled ruefully, stepping between the agents and opening the door they protected. He walked into the room, brightly lit by harsh lights and closed the door behind him.

"Oh dear boy, what have you got yourself into." Ducky sighed at the sight of DiNozzo. He was pale and drawn but looked at peace. Ducky moved to retrieve Tony's chart much like Gibbs had done hours before, only when Ducky read it's contents he fully understood what it said. It said that Tony was lucky to still be drawing breath unaided, it said he was so very lucky to still be alive. What it did not say was whether Tony would be as he was before.

Ducky knew that an injury such as his would change everything, it would dictate so much of his life. Tony was a strong character and Ducky prayed that he would come out of this unscathed, he would be the same arrogant and childish Tony.

â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"

"Boss." Tim spoke seeing Jethro walk over.

"What do you have McGee?" Gibbs walked up, leaning over McGee to look at the agent's screen.

"A Bravo-51 was bought ten days ago by a Harri Saawi which is an-"

"Anagram of Ari Haswari. Where?"

"Three blocks from your house Gibbs." McGee turned to Gibbs, a look of worry on his face. Everything was falling into place, Ari's use of the very same ammunition as he when he was a sniper, obtaining his weapon so close to home and the weapon itself hit so close to home.

"McGee do you know what a sniper calls a Bravo-51?" McGee shook his head. "A Kate." McGee visibly blanched. "That bastard knew we were going to trace him, he was waiting for us."