- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony's fourth birthday at NCIS.
Tony’s fourth birthday with NCIS passed in a far different fashion than any of his previous birthdays had, thanks to one Abigail Scuito.

He had, once again, requested and been granted his birthday and the day after off well in advance, using the “things to get done” excuse, even though he suspected that Gibbs knew exactly what was going on. Gibbs hadn't hesitated in approving the request, only telling Tony he hoped his days off would be good and he'd get everything done he needed to do.

The day before Tony’s birthday, as he was packing up to leave, Abby asked him to come down to the lab, told him it was urgent. He knew it had nothing to do with a case • in the first place, they had no cases at the moment and the cold cases they were working on had nothing to do with Abby's lab and, in the second place, if it was case-related she would have called Gibbs instead of or as well as Tony. No, Tony knew that whatever Abby wanted had something to do with his birthday, and it was with some trepidation that he braved her dominion. She sat waiting for him, her music turned down to a reasonable level as if she knew that he would use it as an excuse to say that he'd been there but hadn't been able to get her attention.

“Hey Abbs, what's up?” he asked, smiling at his friend.

Abby came over to stand in front of him, her hand set mutinously on her hips. “I booked tomorrow off too. I want to come over. If you want to get piss drunk, that's fine, I'll get piss drunk with you, but I'm taking you out for lunch first. It's time you...”

“Okay,” Tony said softly. Abby stopped, shocked at how quickly he had agreed. Tony looked a bit shocked himself, but smiled gamely at her.

“Okay? Uhm, okay, then. I guess I'll pick you up at noon tomorrow,” she said, stumbling for a moment before regrouping. “Oh, and wear something nice • you know that green Armani suit you have, the one that makes your eyes pop? That'll do. Oh, and the gold Hugo Boss shirt.”

“Abby...” Tony said helplessly.

“Tony, trust me, please?”

“Always,” Tony returned, pulling the Goth girl into a tight hug. He was surprised to find he really did trust Abby with his birthday and found himself, for the first time in as long as he could remember, looking forward to the next day. “See you tomorrow, sunshine.”

When he got back to the bullpen, McGee and Kate had already left, but Gibbs was waiting for him. “Everything okay with Abby, DiNozzo? “ he asked. Unasked was Do I need to reign her in?

Tony knew that if he gave the word, Gibbs would come up with some reason Abby couldn't have tomorrow off. He was surprised to find he didn't feel the need to give the word. “Yeah, Boss, everything's fine. She's gonna help me with some stuff tomorrow and wanted to coordinate.”

“And you're okay with Abby's help?” Gibbs asked, wanting to make sure she wasn't forcing Tony into something he didn't want.

“Y'know what, Gibbs, I am. Never thought I'd be comfortable with someone else helping me out, but for some reason I am with Abby.” He wasn't sure why he carrying on the charade, but Gibbs looked satisfied with the answer, which made it worth it.

“Good to hear, Tony. Maybe you'll let someone else help you out sometime too, eh?” It was as close as Gibbs would get to telling Tony he was there for him, but Tony could see he really meant it.

“You never know, Gibbs. Maybe.”

The next day dawned bright and sunny. Tony actually managed to sleep in for a bit, awakening around 9 a.m. Normally on his birthday he would start drinking almost as soon as he got up but he had all but promised Abby he would remain sober until after lunch, so instead he filled his morning by cleaning up his apartment and taking a long run, trying to keep his mind off of the day and what Abby might have in store for him. Remembering her instructions, he dressed in his olive-green suit and gold shirt, adding a gold, green and grey Fendi silk tie to complete the ensemble. Even taking his time with his grooming, he was still ready almost half an hour before Abby was due to show up. He flipped the television on, and managed to lose himself in the last half of a Magnum PI episode until a knock came on the door. Turning the television off, he took a deep breath to centre himself and went and opened the door.

Tony’s jaw dropped at the sight before him. Abby stood there, dressed in a stylish black suit whose high collar covered most of her spiderweb tattoo and black stiletto heels. Her hair was sleek and shiny, done up in a sophisticated hairstyle, and she carried a small black purse that complemented the outfit perfectly. The only concession to her normal goth appearance was the relatively heavy makeup she wore which, surprisingly enough, didn’t seem out of place with her clothing.

“Wow, Abby, you look amazing,” he said, looking her up and down. He’d thought she’d looked hot in the Marilyn Monroe outfit she’d worn for Hallowe’en one year, but that was nothing compared to this. His eyes narrowed as he studied her. “Wait a second, I know that outfit, the hairstyle, don't I?”

Abby grinned, ruining the sultry effect of the outfit and hairstyle. “Yup. It's Rachel from Bladerunner. I love that movie!! I’ve had the outfit for ages, but never really had an occasion I wanted to wear it for. Now I do.”

Tony stood aside so she could enter his apartment and then turned to face her. “Not that I don’t appreciate • and I mean really, really, really appreciate • this,” Tony said, gesturing at the outfit and hair, “but where exactly are you taking me for lunch?”

Abby bit her lip and looked nervous. “I, well I thought… I wanted… I…” As Tony looked at her with fond exasperation she took a deep breath and turned away from him so she wouldn’t see his reaction. “I want to take you to the Occidental Grill. I’ve already made the reservations.” The Occidental Grill was one of Washington’s landmark restaurants. Over 100 years old, it was posh, luxurious and expensive. Behind her, she heard Tony’s swiftly indrawn breath and turned back to face him. “You told me that I reminded you of your mom, and that she would always take you to the 21 Club for your birthday and I figured the Occidental Grill is as close to the 21 Club as you can get in D.C. and I hope you’re not mad, Tony, ‘cause I really wanted to do something special…”

Abby's words were cut off as Tony swept her up in a crushing embrace. “Abby, I'm not mad. It sounds perfect, but I don't want you wasting your money on me. “

Abby pulled back and hit Tony on the arm. “Don't you dare say that, Tony. It's not a waste and you darned well better stop thinking it is. You got me, mister?”

“Yes ma'am!” Tony pulled away from Abby and saluted her, his eyes sparkling. “Y'know,” he said, grinning widely as he offered her his arm, “I'd love to see McGee's face if he ever saw you in that outfit. I think his eyes would pop out of their sockets.” Abby just smiled as she took his arm and they headed out.

Lunch was wonderful. The maitre d’ took one look at Tony and Abby in their finery and whisked them to a very visible table in the heart of the restaurant. Looking around them at the other restaurant patrons, Tony recognised two senators, a congressman and a pair of venerable character actors who had acted in several movies Tony loved. Abby was sparkling, chatting with the sommelier and waiters in a relaxed and friendly way, and Tony found himself watching their interactions with pleasure and not a little bit of surprise. He realised that he was seeing a side of Abby that few people got to see • most only saw the loud, frenetic goth who was always on a caffeine high from too many Caf Pow!s • and he was humbled by the gift she was giving him. The meal itself was amazing, and Tony and Abby took their time enjoying it, chatting about a wide variety of subjects • movies they’d seen or wanted to see, books they’d read, current events, and anything and everything in between. Tony was surprised to realise, as they were sipping coffee and sharing a sinfully delicious dessert, that over two hours had passed. When the waiter brought the bill he tried to reach for it, but Abby slapped his hand away.

“I told it you was my treat, Tony,” she said, pulling out her credit card. “So what do you want to do now? Head back to your place?”

Tony realised with a shock that he really didn’t want to go back to his place. For the first time since that awful day his mother had died he was enjoying his birthday and he didn’t want it to end. “Naw,” he said shyly, glancing sideways at Abby, “y’know what I’d really like? Can we play tourist for the afternoon? Go around and see the monuments, maybe hit one of the Smithsonian museums? Would that be okay?”

Abby’s smile, which had been bright before, became almost incandescent and she let out a little squeal of pleasure. “I’d like that, Tony.”

That evening, pleasantly tired after an afternoon of walking and gawking and with Abby curled up at his side as they watched one of his favourite movies, Tony couldn’t remember when he’d had a better birthday. He looked down at his best friend, swimming in the sweats that he had lent her, and hugged her close, kissing her on the top of her head.

“What was that for?” she asked, smiling up at him.

“For not letting me wallow another year, for making my birthday special again, for just being you. Take your pick,” Tony said. He was almost embarrassed to find his eyes welling up with tears of happiness, and hoped that Abby wouldn’t notice. She said nothing, shifting their positions so he was now the one curled up against her. After a few minutes of silence Tony suddenly smiled as a thought occurred to him. “Hey, do you think that Gibbs would be willing to play hooky and go sightseeing with us after lunch next year?”

This time it was Abby with the tears in her eyes.