- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
When a baby is left on Gibbs' doorstep, memories of the past surface. Can Gibbs mend a painful heart and re-build family. Gibbs/Tony - father/son. Featuring Baby Tony! My first story....
The trip to the naval yard was relatively uneventful, and the trio made good time - even with the stop-off to the convenience store for some emergency baby rations. Gibbs had decided to get some extra diapers, baby formula and a few jars of what he could only describe as ‘mush’, before making their way into the naval yard.

As Gibbs pulled over into the parking bay he turned off the car, stuffing the baby bag with the soft dragon, pacifier, and the rest of the goodies he had brought, before looking over to his companion. The elderly ME was smiling ear to ear and talking in soft tones to the little boy who was now awake, alert and looking around.

“You ready Duck?” Gibbs called,

“Yes Jethro, we are ready aren’t we Anthony?” Ducky enquired to their young charge, who of course didn’t reply and was now chewing on his fingers making baby burbling noises. Gibbs led the way, and when the familiar ping of the elevator doors opening sounded, Gibbs noted that the bullpen was empty of agents and his team had yet to arrive. It was still early and dark outside but the fact that the bright fluorescent lights were on indicated that the cleaners were somewhere around the place. Gibbs walked across to his desk, setting the baby bag down on the floor besides him. Ducky followed and gently passed Tony to him - the child was still burbling away, his fingers in his mouth.

“Well Jethro, I’m off downstairs - I still have a report to do on our latest guest from the Ross case. If you need anything at all just let me know,” Ducky gently patted the little boys hair and walked off saying, “Be good my young Anthony, and don’t get into any mischief, or you’ll have to answer to Jethro here.” Gibbs chuckled at that - how much mischief could a one year old get in to?

With the baby sitting comfortably on his lap, he reached into the pocket of his jacket and got out the DVD and memory stick and placed them onto his desk. He then stopped to look at the child; who was smiling and trying to reach for various things on his desk. Tony was a good-looking baby, with his tanned olive complexion and his blonde hair, which was curling endearingly at the ends. He looked like one of those cherub angels, but not quite as chubby. He guessed (Having never met DiNozzo Senior) that his complexion and hair may have come from either parent.

But it was the child’s eyes that were the most striking - brilliant green orbs that sparkled brightly. There was no mistaking those eyes - pure Isabella. Gibbs remembered Shannon saying once that with Isabella it was all in the eyes, she could smile and say everything was fine, and give you one of her mega-watt grins. But if you looked at her eyes they would tell you what you needed to know. Yes, Tony had definitely inherited his mother’s eyes. Gibbs smiled at the memory, and gave Tony another gentle cuddle.

The baby was waving his hands about, bouncing up and down on Gibbs’ knee, giggling and occasionally whacking Gibbs in the face with his tiny hands. This was the site that met his three Agents when they came strolling into the bullpen a few minutes later,

“Sorry Gibbs,” Said Agent Caitlin (Kate) Todd, “We decided to car pool this morning, and McGee was running late.”

“I was not!” Protested Agent Tim McGee, who sounded a little put out at being ratted on to their boss.

“We told you 05.15 did we not, McGee?” Ziva David spoke with a hint of humor in her accented voice.

“But…..” McGee was about to protest when all three agents stopped in front of their boss’ desk, mouths open as Gibbs was bouncing the baby on his knee.

“B-Boss?” Stammered McGee.

This was not a usual sight. Their boss L.J (second B for bastard) Gibbs, smiling and bouncing a small baby on his knee.

“Kate, McGee, Ziva, this is Anthony DiNozzo Jr - our new case!” Gibbs spoke, without his usual gruffness, so as not to frighten the small child. He explained to his team what had happened over the course of the last few hours. He had explained about Isabella and had told them she was a family friend.

Now for the hard part - explaining to his team about Shannon and Kelly. He had to keep his emotions in check, had to keep them believing he was that gruff ex-marine that they respected and feared. He couldn’t show them how much he was hurting, how broken he truly was. Ziva glanced over at Gibbs - she knew what was coming. Un-known to the rest of them, Ziva had received and read over dossiers for the entire team, before accepting her newest mission as Mossad Liaison Officer with NCIS. Ziva saw the flash of pain in Gibbs’ eyes, before she spoke up.

“Gibbs,” She paused, “I can fill the team in on this next part, I was given dossiers on you all before accepting this position... I know what needs to be said.” Ziva held Gibbs’ stare. There it was - his out - his way to not have to bring out his past, dig up his emotions. He briefly nodded his acknowledgement of Ziva’s offer - he was grateful.

“Okay,” Gibbs said, “Ziva; fill them in, I think this little man is due for a change. I’ll be back in 10 minutes and we will get started.” With that he picked Tony up, holding him gently, and grabbed the baby bag from the floor.

************************************************************************************************

It was now 7 am and agents started coming in and moving around the bullpen. Many of them looked like they were about to make a comment to the ex-marine about the small child, but he silenced them with one of his icy glares. He quickly made his way down to autopsy, the whoosh of the doors announcing his arrival,

“Ah Jethro, Anthony - to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?” Ducky spoke, his eyes sparkling with humor as he saw the little boy (who was doing his best to grab hold of Jethro’s fingers to put in his mouth),

“I was hoping I could borrow your office for a moment, to change Tony.”

“Of course my dear boy, of course.” Ducky walked over and held the door to his office open. Gibbs walked inside and set Tony down on the couch, pulling a diaper and a few wipes from the baby bag and proceeded to change the baby. Tony for his part kept kicking his legs and trying to sit up thoroughly; enjoying the freedom from the stuffy diaper.

Ducky chuckled from his spot in the doorway, fondly looking over Gibbs and the boy; it had been too long since Ducky had seen Gibbs smile. Not wanting to burst this happy bubble he approached the next subject with caution,

“Did you fill the team in on what's going on Jethro?”

“Yeah Duck, I did.”

“Shannon and Kelly?” Ducky spoke softly. Gibbs looked up, pain flashing through his ice blue eyes.

“Ziva is filling them in now - she had dossiers on us all before she took the position, she knows what to say,” Gibbs sighed and focused on Tony, getting his sleep suit off and fishing around for his clothes, “I couldn’t do it Duck, I couldn’t tell them. I can’t go through it again; I barely made it through last time.” Distress was clearly evident in his voice.

“My dear boy, I’m sure they will understand. I know how you feel about sharing your feelings and emotions. You will face things when you are ready, no one will push this on you.”

“ Thanks Duck.” Gibbs replied, looking back at Tony who was fussing slightly. Gibbs grabbed the pacifier out of the baby bag and coaxed it into the baby’s mouth; making him stop fussing and start to suck it desperately.

“I'll get McGee to take some photos of little Tony’s bruises later on for evidence - do you think you could write a report on your findings?”

“Not a problem Jethro, I’ll send it to you as soon as it is done.”

Now that Tony was changed and in a new set of clothes, Gibbs went back to the bullpen. He knew what needed to be done.

~*~

The ping of the elevator announced his arrival to his team and they all turned around to face him, sympathetic looks on their faces.

That was it - they knew, but he couldn’t let their sympathies barrage through his stony façade. Before they could open their mouths, he went to his desk, snapping out his orders and making the baby in his arms jump at the tone,

“Kate, put this DVD up on the plasma, and then I want a full background check on Anthony DiNozzo Senior.” Gibbs tossed the DVD across the desks to her, “McGee, find out what you can off the USB.”

“Yes boss.” He answered, quickly getting to work.

“Ziva, put a BOLO out on Isabella DiNozzo, and get me a full background check on her as well.” Gibbs then sat Tony on the floor and got out the little dragon toy to keep him entertained. He looked back up at the plasma where Kate had the DVD running.

A beautiful woman, around her late thirties, appeared on screen; her blonde hair flowing softly around her shoulders, a ghost of a smile playing on her lips. It was Isabella. Her eyes looked tired, sad and didn’t hold any of the sparkle Gibbs had remembered but it was her. She started talking; her voice soft and reflecting the tiredness in her eyes.

“Hi L.J,” She began. Gibbs looked down towards her son, who was rolling around on the floor, making small noises and playing with the toy,

“I am sorry - so sorry. I didn’t have a choice; I take it if you are watching this then you found my little gift. My precious boy is now yours. By the time you are watching this; I will more than likely be dead. Morbid I know, but he will make it so. I guess I have a lot of explaining to do so I will start at the beginning.”

Gibbs stared at the beautiful woman on the screen, pain etched on her face.

“It started 5 years ago, do you remember? I took off to Long Island after meeting the love of my life, prominent businessman Anthony Dominic DiNozzo. Anthony was a banker and he also had some shipping businesses - he loved me, made me feel wonderful, and we were married not long after. We lived in a large Estate in Long Island. Anthony had millions - not only did he make a fortune on his own, but his family was from… ‘old money’ you could say. Not to mention my family, as you know, is also quite well to do - we wanted for nothing and lived the high life. “

Gibbs looked down to where Tony was crawling away to the middle of the desk area. He stood up, walking over to grab the small child, who started rubbing his eyes tiredly, and snuggled him in his arms before turning his attention back to the plasma.

“Things started to go downhill a few years into our marriage. I sent you a letter just before the wedding, if you remember, and at that stage Anthony was already a jealous man and very possessive of me. All my correspondence to you was in secret. I guess that should have been my first warning.

However, I now see that as a savior, at least I have somewhere safe for my son, somewhere Anthony doesn’t know about. He had gotten greedy and was mixing in some rather undesirable businesses, the USB I sent you will include all you need to know about these transactions. Anthony was also drinking on a regular basis, his possessiveness and jealousy got worse, and it was at the point where I couldn’t leave the house without him. I guess you’re probably wondering why I didn’t just leave him. Well over the years I learnt the hard way - no one crosses Anthony. No one touches what is his and no one ever leaves him, unless it’s in a wooden box. If he can’t have something, no one will.

He has been under the suspicion of police and federal agencies for a while, but money and good lawyers talk, and they couldn’t make anything stick - he covers his tracks well. The information on the USB is directly from his concealed personal computer, this is the only copy of the information that will bring him down, and not even his lawyers know about this. I’m sure he thought no one knew.

Anyway our son, Anthony Dominic DiNozzo Jr. was born 12 months ago; we called him Tony for short. That’s when the trouble really started; Anthony was so jealous of Tony and the attention I gave him when he was first born. He would constantly get into these drunken rages and lash out at Tony. You have seen the bruises I assume? I soon learnt if I ignored Tony, Anthony wouldn’t lash out at him as much. We got a nanny, and Tony became the responsibility of our hired help. Can you believe my child was never taught to say Mom, because he didn’t know who that was supposed to be? Don’t worry about him being attached to anyone in particular from home; he never spent long enough with one person to become attached.”

Self-loathing clouded Isabella’s voice as she spoke.

“Anthony still hated the child but at least his attention wasn’t on him all the time… But then the last straw came. Tony was unwell and wouldn’t stop crying. Anthony was drinking again and got in such a rage he stormed into Tony’s bedroom picked him up and started shaking him violently; he then stuck him outside in rose bushes and left him there. I was so scared he would kill him if I went straight to his aid. So I went upstairs to bed, and once Anthony had passed out in his office, I grabbed the things I needed - including the USB which I had already copied a few days earlier, got Tony and left. I headed straight for you; you are the only one I can trust. I can’t go to my family or Anthony’s, for obvious reasons, and any friends of mine were also known to Anthony, except for you.

I knew Anthony would come after me so I left Tony at your house and took off. I know you will keep my boy safe, I have no doubt if Anthony finds him he will kill him. All the adoption papers are on the USB also as well as a contact number for a lawyer of mine who Anthony is unaware of - she will be able to keep the adoption secret so Anthony will not find out. She also has information of a private account with enough money in it to provide for Tony for the rest of his life, plus extra. Please take care of my boy - he deserves so much more than the life he was born into. I am sorry… Goodbye L.J. Tony - despite everything Mommy loves you.”

With tears streaming down her face, Isabella blew a final kiss to her baby before the screen went black.

The bullpen was deathly silent, not even the sound of typing could be heard, and Gibbs noted his agents had all paused what they were doing. McGee looked shocked and pale, Kate had tears rolling down her cheeks, and Ziva looked livid. Isabella’s heartfelt speech had disturbed them all, and Gibbs hoped that he had managed to keep his face neutral.

At that moment Tony started whimpering softly, snapping them all back to reality - McGee, Kate and Ziva getting quickly back to work. Tony’s cries started increasing in volume; at some point the boy had lost his pacifier and it was nowhere to be seen. Gibbs was pacing the floor holding Tony close - rubbing his back, stroking his hair and whispering soft words.

The whole time he was thinking things over in his mind. Bella was in trouble, if not dead. They had information to bring down a man who, until this point, had eluded police and federal agencies. And then there was the boy, whom his dear friend had entrusted him to look after, a boy who, according to adoption papers, was soon to become his son. This was all too much. The emotions were still too raw to comprehend.

Tony had stopped crying and was sniffling, burying his face into Gibbs’ jacket, leaving a trail of boogers on his shoulder. Gibbs sighed as he heard Tony little tummy growling.

“Ok buddy, let’s get some food into your belly, shall we?” Walking back over to his desk, sitting down on his chair and getting Tony settled on his lap, he removed a jar of baby food from the bag and looked at it - mashed pumpkin and potatoes,

“Yum.” He said sarcastically. He opened the draw to his desk, removing one of the plastic spoons he had acquired from many coffee runs. He opened the jar and, placing it on his desk, began feeding the baby on his lap.

“Mmmmm….” Tony spoke, bouncing up and down as he took mouthfuls of the mush, “Mmmmm….Bub….Bub.”

“You like that stuff, little bubby?” Kate said, looking over with a grin. The little boy, Tony, had the same amount of food on his face as in his tummy, and Gibbs had only just started the feeding process. She chuckled at the thought - this was going to get messy.

“Ziva, What have you got?” Gibbs asked, looking up from the baby.

“Well Gibbs, I have put out the BOLO based on the description from the DVD, no hits yet. As for personal information I have found nothing that we did not already know, she was ‘shiny clean’ - not even a parking ticket.”

“It’s squeaky clean, Ziva.” McGee interrupted.

“That, McGee, makes no sense. Why would something be squeaky if it was clean? Shiny makes more sense, yes?” McGee opened his mouth to reply before Gibbs cut him off,

“McGee, you got anything?”

“Yeah Boss, there is heaps of information here. Everything from shipping logs, to bank account details - there are inventory reports, contracts for dodgy dealings… this guy is going down for a long time.”

“Kate!” Gibbs demanded,

“Nothing yet Gibbs - someone is blocking our access to DiNozzo Sr’s file.” “Who!?”

“FBI” Kate replied with a steely tone.

Gibbs was so busy conversing with the team he didn’t notice the small hands reaching toward the open jar of mush. Tony’s small hands wrapped around the jar and, pulling it towards himself, tipped it upside down - dumping the contents of the jar on himself and all over Gibbs’ pants, before tossing the jar as far as he could.

“What the…?” Gibbs looked down when he felt something fall onto his pants and saw the jar flying out of the corner of his eye.

“Bub, Bub, Bub.” Tony was clapping his hands and laughing, eyes sparkling with mischief, spreading the orange mush further over himself and Gibbs. Tony was also making attempts at talking, which sounded like gibberish.

Kate, Ziva and McGee had to stifle a laugh - but as Gibbs stood up, orange mush over his lap, holding a now orange baby at arm’s length they couldn’t contain themselves. Gibbs glared at them and barked,

“Hey, back to work!” As he left the bullpen with the baby bag a small smile on his face, and headed towards the locker room to change the baby for the second time that morning.

************************************************************************************************

After quickly changing his own pants and shirt, which had little orange handprints on it, Gibbs set to work cleaning up the baby,

“You’re a grubby bubby aren’t you, messy boy.” Gibbs laughed softly; Tony was again talking gibberish with the occasional words ‘Bub, Bub’ and ‘Car’ being the only words Gibbs could make out. Tony had one clean shirt and the blue hooded jumper left but no pants.

“This will have to do buddy, ‘till I can get you something else to wear.” Putting on a clean diaper, and the last long sleeve shirt on the little baby, Gibbs scooped him up, gently running his hand through the soft hair before whisking him back to the bull pen.

He smiled at the warm little body in his arms - Abby would love this, Abbs and Kate were always going on about feelings and stuff. Gibbs made a pact to himself that he would introduce Tony to Abby as soon as she returned to work tomorrow.

Once back in the bullpen, Gibbs sat Tony on the floor next to his desk and handed him his Dragon. He really should get the kid something more to play with, but that would have to wait for now. After a few minutes the phone rang,

“Gibbs.” He said, his voice again gaining the gruffness that was trademark. Listening intently, he eventually slammed down the phone a little harder than necessary,

“Gear up,” He barked, “Got a hit on our BOLO. A woman was killed - shot while in a taxi on the Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Bridge. Her description matches Isabella’s.”
Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know what you think..