- Text Size +
Gibbs had been sitting down in Ducky’s office - thinking for a little over 2 hours, when Tony had begun to stir, making small noises and rubbing his little eyes. He watched as two bright green orbs opened and looked up at him,

“Hey little man, you awake now?” Gibbs watched the little eyes blink before a small smile graced the child’s lips. Gibbs pondered for a moment; most kids who woke up in a strange environment with no one they could recognize would usually whine or cry, not smile �" Isabella had been right. The kid hadn’t been around anyone long enough to form attachment, probably passed from hired help to hired help Gibbs thought sadly.

“What say we go home now?” He asked, and with that Gibbs stood up and walked in to the main part of autopsy.

“Ah Jethro, I see young Anthony is awake,” The elderly M.E walked over and placed a hand on the child’s forehead, “He is much cooler now, that sleep must have done some good,” Ducky looked over at his friend - Jethro looked more relaxed now thank goodness. He guessed that the sleep was good for more than just Anthony, “Did Caitlin mention to you what happened before you arrived?”

“She briefly mentioned something about crying, breaches of nappy integrity and a temperature.” Gibbs thought back to Kate’s little explosion back at the bullpen, - she honestly did look exhausted when he had arrived.

“Well yes, Poor Caitlin was at her whit’s end when she came down here. Anthony did have a temperature and a bit of tummy trouble I would say, but he feels much cooler now. I would recommend keeping some Tylenol at hand however, just in case.”

“Will do Duck. Anyway I had better get this guy home,” Gibbs said, giving a glance at the boy in his arms, “I won’t be in for a few weeks, got some things to sort out now.”

Ducky nodded, “Indeed Jethro. I will stop by after work tonight, to check on young Anthony. It shouldn’t be a late finish tonight, I’m almost done here already.” Ducky didn’t feel the need to add that it was also to check on his friend - Jethro would more than likely state he was fine and shrug off any help. Gibbs was a very private person who didn’t like to show his emotions or open up to people often. Perhaps young Anthony could help change that.

“You should stop by the office before you go - Ziva called looking for you. I did not inform them you were down here, but I did tell them I would send you up if I saw you. I figured you needed some time.”

“Okay, thanks Duck, see you tonight.” And with that Gibbs left autopsy and headed towards the bull pen.

*************************************************************************************************

Up at the bullpen, Ziva, McGee and Kate �" who was now back from her baby shopping - were quietly discussing the day’s events. Ziva and McGee had seen Gibbs leave the director’s office looking less than impressed, and had wisely decided to give the man some space. Not long after that Kate came back with some baby supplies, and they filled her in on what they knew - which wasn’t much. They had just settled down to work when the Director, followed by Agent Fornell, interrupted them.

“Agents Todd, McGee, Officer David. The Isabella DiNozzo case is being handed over to the FBI, you need to give all evidence acquired over to Agent Fornell, including the DVD and USB,” Director Sheppard looked at the confused faces of the agents before continuing, “Agent McGee I need you to give a copy of the Adoption papers and the personal account details on the USB over to Agent Gibbs, as well as the contact information for the Lawyer Isabella mentioned. You may then head home; you’re all on mandatory 2 weeks leave. Enjoy the time off.”

“Director Sheppard, Gibbs is aware of the case handover, yes?” Ziva whose face had remained impassive despite her confusion, asked.

“He is aware.” And without so much as an explanation, Director Sheppard headed back to her office, contemplating if she had made the right choice. Gibbs’ team was by far the best team they had - their closure rates were the highest and they all seemed to complement each other with their different strengths and worked well under Gibbs. The team had been working non stop for the last 6 months; first with the drug trafficking ring discovered aboard the USS Seahawk, then there was that mess with terrorist Ari Haswari which had become Gibbs’ own private obsession. Yes, the team needed this break.

After handing the information over to Fornell; Ziva, McGee and Kate started to get ready to leave.

“Where is Gibbs?” Kate asked, “I have to give him all this stuff for Tony.” Kate pointed to the numerous bags on her desk.

“We don’t really know, we saw him leave the Director’s office and haven’t seen him since,” McGee said as he walked over to Kate’s desk and looked into the bags, “Wow Kate, didn’t Gibbs say just to get what he would need to look after Tony till the weekend? That’s only 2 days away, and there are 20 changes of clothes in here.”

“You saw the orange mush incident McGee, not to mention the diaper problem while you guys were out. I figured the kid was probably pretty messy. Plus the little clothes and toys are so cute.” Kate crooned sharing a smile with Ziva as the women started up a discussion on all the cute things Kate had brought. They were going to love having a baby to spoil. McGee rolled his eyes.

The ping of the elevator announced Gibbs’ arrival to the bullpen. He strolled over to his agents’ desks carting little Tony, who was sucking his pacifier contently. He raised a quizzical eyebrow to the three agents standing around Kate’s desk with their bags packed to leave.

“Did I miss something?” Gibbs asked the three. Knowing what Gibbs was getting at, Ziva spoke,

“The director has instructed us that we are to take 2 weeks leave starting today. We were just waiting to see you before we left. McGee has the adoption papers, bank account details and the contact number for the lawyer. Kate has the stuff you needed for Tony.”

Gibbs handed Tony to McGee and looked in the bags on Kate’s desk. Kate had brought numerous sets of clothes, toys, a few blankets, diapers and wipes, more of that jarred mush and bath products - including a little seat for the bath that you could pop the baby in to stop him slipping into the water whilst leaving your hands free. There was also some baby strength Tylenol. Deciding to give Tony some now, Gibbs took the dropper and gave some to him whilst McGee kept him still.

“That’s good work Kate.” Gibbs gave her one of his rare compliments. He was about to say something else, when McGee interrupted.

“Ouch!” He cried, rubbing his eye, which had just been jabbed by the baby’s stubby finger. Tony’s childish giggles sounded through the bull pen, “He just poked me in the eye!” McGee whined

“He is just a baby McGee, I am sure it was just an accident, yes?” Ziva smiled, trying to stifle a laugh. They all looked at Tony who was giggling, his eyes shining brightly. He raised his little hand and patted McGee on the face gently.

“See,” Kate said hiding her smile, “He is sorry.”

“Ouch!” McGee cried again, as the baby finger once again found its way to his eye.

Tony was again giggling loudly and clapping his hands. He reached a little hand up to McGee’s eye to give it another poke when Gibbs caught his hand gently.

“No, Tony. That’s not nice.” Gibbs said softly, before taking Tony away from McGee. The baby looked a little upset that his game of eye poking had been stopped, but was soon burbling away again, trying to have a conversation with Kate.

The agents had all decided to leave the bullpen together and help Gibbs to his car with Tony and the extra bags of stuff.

“Umm Boss,” Stammered McGee, as the agents loaded the bags and Tony in to the car, “I got the guys in the tech garage to bolt the baby seat in your car with the proper restraints, so it’s all ready to go.”

“Good work McGee.” Gibbs gave a small smile; he was impressed with his team’s forethought. Gibbs climbed into his car saying goodbye to his agents.

“Bye Gibbs, enjoy your time off.” Kate said, blowing a kiss to Tony in the back.

“See ya Boss.” McGee waved,

“Goodbye Gibbs, Tony, we shall see you soon.” Ziva smiled at the sight as Gibbs drove off.

*************************************************************************************************

The trip home was uneventful; Tony was in the back chirping baby gibberish - the occasional word ‘Car’ being heard and lots of ‘ooohh’s - whilst Gibbs was deep in thought. He was thinking about all the things he would need to do over the next few days; he had to sort out some kind of nursery, get more baby supplies and call the lawyer and hopefully meet up with her sooner rather than later. All of this on top of looking after a child, Gibbs was beginning to doubt if this was such a good idea. He had the experience with Kelly, but with Kelly he had Shannon. They both complimented each other and relied on each other when bringing her up. This time he was alone.

Gibbs’ thoughts were interrupted by a loud squeal coming from the back seat. Looking in his rear-view mirror at Tony he saw the kid was squealing with delight. Tony had obviously grabbed inside one of the bags Kate had brought and was now ripping up paper and throwing it about the car, waving his little arms about, his face pure concentration when a piece of paper with tape on it became stuck to his little hands. Gibbs laughed to himself, he remembered Kelly at this age, laughter and smiles and boy could she throw a temper - he hoped Bella’s little boy was not the same.

Pulling up into his driveway at home, Gibbs got out of the car and opened the front door. He decided it would be easier to unload the car whilst Tony was still in his seat so he quickly brought everything inside, putting it all on the kitchen table before whisking the kid inside. Gibbs scouted around the first level of his house; baby in arms, and closed the doors to the spare room and bathroom. Stopping at the door that lead to his beloved basement he closed it gently, thinking about the baby proofing he would need to do. Once the initial sweep of the area had been done and it all looked relatively safe for Tony, Gibbs gently popped the baby on the floor of the lounge room and walked over to the kitchen table to unpack the bags. The first level of Gibbs’ house was rather open plan, meaning he could see Tony at all times from anywhere he was. Tony was crawling around on the floor exploring his new home as Gibbs unpacked the baby’s things; Kate sure had brought a lot of stuff.

Gibbs had almost finished unpacking the bags; there was only one left when he heard a noise.

THUD. He looked up to see Tony, who had pulled himself into a standing position using the coffee table. He was using one hand to hold himself up, the other to throw books and magazines unceremoniously on to the floor. THUD, there went a book, THUD, another one.

Gibbs smiled - at least he wasn’t breaking anything…..Rrrip. “Tony, NO!” Gibbs raced over to the baby who had plopped back to the floor and started tearing pages out of the nearest book. Gibbs took the book off him and picked the rest up from the floor, placing them on a higher cabinet. Tony looked up at him, smiled, and started to crawl away quickly heading for the kitchen. The Tylenol and the sleep obviously had helped the little boy - a lot. Gibbs scooped him up and spun him in the air a bit, little giggles filling the house.

“Ok, I guess we better give you something you can play with… hey!” Gibbs got an idea and rummaged around the last unpacked bag. He produced a bucket full of wooden blocks, and sat on the floor with Tony in his lap. They began to play. After about an hour of Gibbs building towers and Tony bashing them down and laughing, Gibbs looked at the time. It was now 5.15pm. He sighed and got up from the floor, leaving Tony playing with the blocks and went to the kitchen to start dinner.

Dr Mallard opened the door to his friend’s house. Walking inside, his ears were assaulted by some very loud banging coming from the kitchen,

“Jethro!” He called loudly over the top of the noise,

“In here Duck.” Ducky walked into the kitchen to find a very tired looking Jethro making dinner, and little Anthony sitting on the kitchen floor with a plastic container on his head, banging some pots with a wooden spoon.

“My, My, what do we have here?” Ducky exclaimed, lifting the little boy into his arms.

“What do you think of my early warning system Duck?”

“Early warning system?” Ducky asked, his eyebrows rose in question.

“Yeah, while he is banging on these,” Gibbs said pointing to the pots, “I know where he is and what he is doing. It’s when he stops I have to worry.” He chuckled.

“I see. You wouldn’t be causing trouble would you young Anthony? How has he been Jethro? He’s feeling a little warm again.”

“He’s been good Duck, started getting a little grizzly about 10 minutes ago. He last had some Tylenol about 5 hours ago, so he is due for more now I think.” Gibbs ran a hand through Tony soft hair. The baby looked over to him smiling, and rubbing his eyes.

“I’ll give him another dose for you now, shall I?” Ducky made his way towards the kitchen counter where he spied the bottle. Measuring out the correct dose he gave it to Anthony who pulled a face, “I guess it isn’t the nicest taste.” The elderly man laughed.

“Staying for dinner Duck? I made plenty of soup,” Gibbs took Tony into his arms, “We can eat first, I’ll feed Tony after. What, with last time I’ll probably need to wash up as much as he will after.” Gibbs smirked.

Knocking sounded from the front door �" “Who is it?” Gibbs exclaimed as Ducky disappeared around the corner to open the door.

“Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs, where is he?” Gibbs heard Abby before he saw her, bounding into the kitchen and hoisting Tony into the air.

“Careful Abbs, he hasn’t been well, you don’t want him throwing up on you do you?” Gibbs laughed at the enthusiastic Goth who sheepishly cuddled the baby. Tony looked a bit bemused at what had just happened and looked at Gibbs with big eyes.

“Yeah Abbs,” The voice of Tim McGee came from the door, “He already pooped on Kate.”

“He did not poop on me, McGee.” Kate snapped,

“But he did, McGee, almost stab out your eye - twice.” Laughed Ziva,

“It’s poke, Ziva.” McGee corrected,

“Poke, stab - either way it hurt yes?”

The three agents appeared in the kitchen while McGee was carrying a highchair

“Hey Boss, Gibbs.” They said in unison. Gibbs looked at them, raising an eyebrow.

“They told me what happened today, well actually Timmy told me,” Abby piped up from where she was sitting with Tony, “We thought the highchair might come in handy, especially after Ziva had mentioned what happened at the last feeding session.” Abby giggled and tickled Tony who responded with peels of laughter.

Looking around the kitchen, Kate spoke, “Sorry Gibbs, we didn’t know we had interrupted dinner, we had all already eaten and we didn’t think….”

Ducky cut her off, “Nonsense Caitlin, there was no interruption at all, in fact it’s good you’re here. Now we can eat and you can all watch Anthony. Isn’t that right Jethro?” Ducky looked at Gibbs with a glare that said ‘don’t you disagree.’

“Yeah, sure.” Gibbs said quickly. The younger agents weren’t confused about the gruff ex-marine being ordered around by the elderly M.E. There were only two people that could order Gibbs around and get away with it, and they were both currently in the room.

“Great!” Yelled Abby, startling the boy in her arms, “Sorry baby,” She hastily said when she felt the little boy jump.

“We can feed him while you guys eat.” Kate said, taking Tony out of Abby’s arms and placing him in the highchair, which McGee had already set up

“Just give him some of the soup we’re having, it’s just potato and leek but watch it - it will be hot.” Gibbs said. At this point it was just easier to let them at it, especially Abby. He knew how hard it was to detract from her when she got this excited.

Gibbs and Ducky ate in silence as they watched the three agents and one very over caffeinated forensic scientist feeding the baby. Kate, Ziva and Abby each had a spoon and were taking turns feeding him. Kate was making Car and Airplane noises, whilst saying, ‘Open up’. Ziva was commenting on how eating up would make Tony, ‘A big strong boy’. And Abby was saying ‘Mmmm’ and ‘Yummy’. Poor McGee was left holding the food looking slightly scared of the three women before him who had gone so gooey over the baby. Tony for his part sat there happily opening his little mouth to the food, saying ‘Mmmmm’ and clapping his hands thoroughly enjoying the attention.

Once dinner was over Ducky instructed Gibbs to go bath Tony - who was again, for some reason, covered in his food - whilst everyone else cleaned up. Gibbs was too tired physically and mentally to object with the elderly M.E and insist he was capable of doing things on his own - after being up since 3am and the emotional rollercoaster ride that ensued, he was ready to crash. Taking the items he would need to the upstairs bathroom he drew the bath.

“Ok buddy, bath time. Lets get you all clean for the ladies downstairs” Gibbs smiled stripping the clothes and diaper off the grubby little boy, placing the bath seat in and testing the water, before sitting Tony in the seat gently. Tony was splashing the water softly as Gibbs soaped him up. Kate had brought some special organic baby wash stuff that Gibbs had never heard of before, but it smelt pretty good. Gibbs washed his hair and gently removed all the food from his little face and let him splash about for a few minutes, with Gibbs occasionally splashing the baby back. After making sure the boy was properly dried, Gibbs turned away to look for the clean diaper. Finding it he turned around in time to see a naked bottom crawling out the door. Gibbs stood, his knees cracking,

“I’m getting too old for this…” He grumbled, before going to find Tony.

After finally managing to get the baby dressed into his sleeper suit, expertly picked out by Abby, he bore the baby back into the main living area of the house. The kitchen was clean, dishwasher was on, and everyone was sitting in the lounge talking quietly. Gibbs walked across the room and flopped onto the free armchair, Tony cuddling up into his chest and rubbing his eyes tiredly.

After a brief conversation on the day’s events, Gibbs moved to the kitchen to get a bottle ready for Tony. It was now 9.30pm and he should really be getting Tony off to sleep. Ziva stood,

“It is getting late, we should go now.” She spoke softly.

The others agreed, “Well Bossman we will be off now, but we’ll all see you 10am tomorrow morning.” Abby said, enthusiasm in her voice.

“Tomorrow?” Gibbs looked at the people in his now full lounge room.

“Yeah, tomorrow Bossman. We have lots to do! A whole nursery to set up - and more baby goods to buy! We’ve already discussed it. You need Kate, Ziva and I to decorate the nursery, Timmy to carry the bags, and Ducky to keep you well caffeinated. And, of course, you need to come to pay.” Abby said with a cheeky smile, knowing full well that Gibbs couldn’t say no to her. Without leaving Gibbs time to argue, they all called their goodnights and left.

Gibbs returned to the lounge room, sitting on the big sofa and started to feed Tony; whose eyes were drooping slowly closed. Ducky stood from where he was seated,

“I’ll make coffee,” Ducky said as he stood - he still wanted to have words with his friend, “You know Jethro, this evening reminds me of a time when I was much younger...” Ducky began to tell his story as he walked to the kitchen. Gibbs laid down on the sofa with Tony curled up on his chest and zoned out on Ducky’s story, concentrating of the soft sucking noise Tony was making as he drank, his little eyes closed and his little hands grabbing gently at Gibb’s shirt. Gibbs smiled contently.

“And so you see, the old General was right.” Ducky finished his story as he walked into the lounge room. He tutted softly and smiled. He had always wanted to be a Grandfather, and the sight before him reminded him of this. Gibbs had fallen asleep on the sofa with little Anthony also asleep, snuggled into his chest - empty bottle hanging from his mouth. Ducky went to the kitchen and tipped out the coffee - the conversation could wait. Returning to the lounge room he covered his sleeping friend and the small child with a blanket, removed the bottle from Anthony’s little mouth, and left.

Taking one last look at the heart-warming sight he closed the door gently. They would need all the rest they could get �" tomorrow was going to be a busy day.
Chapter End Notes:
This is my first ever posting on this site, so please forgive me if i get it wrong... I love feedback so please review it gives me the courage and enthusiasm to write when i know people are enjoying what they read.
I wrote this fic as there isn't many baby Tony fic's around and i think he would make a cute kid, plus I wanted to give Gibbs a chance to be a daddy again.
Let me know what you think and if i should continnue