- Text Size +
Disclaimer: “NCIS” and its characters don’t belong to me they belong to CBS and their creators and are being used without permission. Please don’t sue because I have no money.

Moments In Time

SWAK

I talk to my fellow teammates while showering wondering what could be in that envelope that I had just opened. I wondered if it was anything that was bad and hoped that it wasn’t. I wasn’t ready to die yet. My teammates threw out ideas of what might have been inside, but I really didn’t like their ideas. All of those things that were listed were dangerous. After the shower they went to Autopsy and I watched as the rest of my teammates get their blood taken.

Suddenly the doors opened and two people came inside with protective gear. When asked who had opened the envelope I pointed to McGee, but then told them that I had opened it. They asked if I inhaled it and I said I might have. They looked to Kate as she sneezed. Gibbs ordered her to go with me, but she didn’t want to.

I stare in wonder at the isolation chamber that we will be staying in however long we need to stay inside it. I smile at Nurse Emma as she gave us the medicine that we needed to take and then we both picked out the beds that we would be staying at.

I started to talk to Kate, but she didn’t want to hear what I had to say, so I started talking to Nurse Emma. She was nice and she seemed to like me. I told her about a movie that I had watched a long time ago.

Later in the day Doctor Brad Pitt came in and started talking to me. I stared in shock as he told me what school he went to and then he asked where I went to college. I told him I was a buckeye. It was just too weird the guy who had broken my leg and had broken my dreams was now in charge of my care. That was too weird. He then told me that I had the plague and then had to hear Kate yelling at me for my stupidity for opening the envelope. I was instantly sorry when I heard that she too had the plague. I hoped that nobody else had it either.

As I lay there coughing I knew that Kate didn’t have the plague because she wasn’t coughing. She didn’t have to stay with me, but she did. She was a good friend and for that I was grateful. She could have left me in isolation alone, but she didn’t.

Later in the day I heard Gibbs tell me that I wouldn’t die. I believed him. He tapped me on the head, so that I would be more awake to hear him say that I will not die again. I acknowledged what he said by saying I gotcha boss. He then gave me my cell phone and I hung on to it like a lifeline.

The couple of days later when he was supposed to be asleep and he heard Nurse Emma leave. He heard Kate come back inside and I barely opened one eye to see her lay down in the bed beside me. I couldn’t resist and I spoke up.

“You know this reminds me of the ending of Aliens.”

She burst out laughing at that and I smiled because it felt good to hear her laughter.