- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This is a sequel to my story Birthdays, which you may want to read before reading this one.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sequel to Birthdays. Tony never liked his birthday until Abby showed him it was a day to be celebrated, not mourned. What happens when he asks Gibbs to "play hooky" and help him and Abby celebrate?
Gibbs took the vacation request his Senior Field Agent was holding out without comment. He knew that Tony’s birthday was coming up and he always asked for that day and the day after off. Gibbs didn’t know what he did with the days, but he suspected copious amounts of alcohol were involved. He knew that Tony’s childhood hadn’t been especially happy, and figured that his SFA’s birthday was not something that had been celebrated much in the DiNozzo household when he was growing up. Not for the first time since he’d gotten to know Tony, Gibbs wished for five minutes alone in a dark alley with Anthony DiNozzo, Sr.

Gibb’s eyebrows drew together in a frown as he scanned the request. “This is only for one day, DiNozzo,” he said quietly so Tim and Ziva wouldn’t overhear. “You gonna be able to get everything done you need to?” This was the game they played every year " Tony would pretend he needed the time off to get some unspecified things done and Gibbs would pretend he believed him, didn’t know it was Tony’s birthday and didn’t suspect what Tony was actually doing on those days off.

Tony smiled at Gibbs " a warm, genuine smile quite unlike his normal, cocky grins. “You know it’s my birthday that day, Boss,” he replied equally quietly. “Abby’s taking me out to lunch and then we’re going to play tourist in the afternoon. Figured we’d hit the Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum this year.”

Gibbs’ eyes widened slightly in surprise at Tony’s statement. He knew that Abby had taken Tony’s birthday off last year, determined to make her friend realise that the day was something to be celebrated, not mourned, but he had no idea she’d be so successful at it. Smiling back at Tony, he signed off on the request and handed it back to him. “Have a good time, then. Just make sure you’re not late the next day,” he added gruffly, more for form’s sake than anything else.

Tony suddenly looked shy as he took the form back. “Um, Gibbs?” he asked hesitantly. “I was sort of wondering, I mean, hoping…”

“Just spit it out, DiNozzo,” Gibbs growled softly, his eyes sparkling. He always found it amusing when his usually-suave and confident agent got flustered over something.

Tony took a deep breath. “I was kind of hoping that you’d join us after lunch, y’know to go to the museum,” he said so softly that Gibbs could barely hear him. When Gibbs didn’t answer right away, shocked into silence by the request, Tony blushed and looked away. “Right, Boss, forget I asked,” he said. “It was a stupid idea.” He started to turn away but stopped when Gibbs suddenly stood up, came around the desk and slapped the back of his head.

“Ow! Geez, Boss, what was that for?” Tony asked, rubbing the back of his head. Tim and Ziva’s gazes were suddenly focused on the two men, at least until Gibbs gave them one of his infamous glares.

“Jumping to conclusions, DiNozzo,” Gibbs returned softly. “When do you want me to meet you and Abby?”

Tony’s warm smile returned. “Um, how about three o’clock. at the museum?”

“I’ll be there. Now get back to work!”
Chapter End Notes:
This is a sequel to my story Birthdays, which you may want to read before reading this one.