- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kelly arrives to the hospital and talks to Jenny about her and her dad's past.
Painful Past, Part 2

In hospital

Jenny hoped Kelly would arrive soon because Gibbs was scaring her. She understood his pain but this terrible helplessness that she could sense from him was terrifying her. For a moment she thought he remembered but then he had gotten upset again because of his memory. The doctor and the nurse rushed into the room when Gibbs tried to fight himself up from the bed. Doctor Gelfland told the nurse to give him morphine before saying strongly: “Agent Gibbs!”

“I’m not agent Gibbs!” Gibbs shouted, his voice distraught, making Jenny take a step back, “I don’t know agent Gibbs! I don’t want to know agent Gibbs! I want my family! I want Shannon! I want Kelly! I miss them so much…”

He fell back against the pillows when the drugs started to take effect. He was whimpering and trying to fight the sleep, still whimpering after Kelly and Shannon. Jenny took a step towards Gibbs but she didn’t have a chance to comfort him before the door opened and red haired woman rushed into the room. She sat down on the edge of the bed, taking Gibbs’ hand into hers and kissed his fingers.

“Dad?” Kelly said, trying to calm him down.

The older Gibbs looked up at her, his eyes widening: “Shannon?”

Kelly looked down and fought back the tears: “No, dad, it’s me, Kelly. It’s going to be okay.”

He tried to push himself up but didn’t find the strength: “Kelly?”

“It’s okay dad”, Kelly whispered and kissed his cheek, “I’ll be here when you wake up.”

She ran her hand over his cheek. His eyes closed as he lost the fight against the sleep. Kelly kept murmuring words that meant nothing but she hoped they helped him sleep. Jenny was looking at the two, not sure about what to feel. Kelly was very beautiful, just like she had seen in the picture. The young woman looked up from his sleeping form and turned to look at doctor Gelfland.

“He is not in pain, is he?”

“No miss”, he assured her, “I’m doctor Gelfland.”

“Kelly Gibbs”, she said, shaking hands with him, “you treated him in Kuwait. Didn’t you?”

“Yes I did”, the doctor admitted, “he survived then and I’m positive he will make full recovery again.”

Kelly nodded, grateful of his words. The doctor nodded back and told her to press the button if he was needed. After checking the monitors he left the room. Leaving the young agent and the director of NCIS together. Jenny took a step towards Kelly: “I know now isn’t the best time but could we change a few words.”

Kelly looked up at her and then back at her dad: “I’ll be back in few minutes, I promise.”

She kissed his cheek again and caressed it with her fingers. He didn’t stir and she knew it was the drugs that kept him asleep. Jenny waited her at the door and soon Kelly joined her. They walked side by side to the canteen. Jenny sat down first and Kelly sat down on the other side of the table.

“I’m very sorry you had to hear about this from agent DiNozzo and not from me, Kelly”, Jenny said, looking at the other agent.

“It’s okay, director, you didn’t know”, Kelly said, “he knows so of course he knew to call me.”

“Please, call me Jenny”, Jenny said and smiled at her gently, “why Jethro never talked to anyone else about Shannon or you? Why he told DiNozzo?”

Kelly looked up and somehow the look made Jenny feel uneasy. Kelly sighed. She knew and understood her father. Her dad had been terrified after her mother’s death. She understood what he did back then was to protect her. Jenny seemed to notice she was thinking and said: “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to interrogate you.”

“Don’t worry about it. Things happened so fast back then. I don’t even remember everything. After mom died he decided it wouldn’t be safe for me to live with him. I know he trailed Hernandez and killed him. He was afraid something would happen. He wanted me to be safe so I lived with my mother’s sister. He came to visit me sometimes. He was there but at the same time he really wasn't. At first he said he had so much work so it was better for me to live with Aunt Annie but when I was old enough I understood. I don’t blame him. It’s just sad that I barely know him.” Kelly had tears in her eyes when she stopped talking.

Jenny tried to hold back her own tears. She needed to be strong for this girl. Jenny took her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. Kelly smiled at her. She had heard a lot of things about the director of NCIS and many people had said she was strong willed and sometimes even hard but right now Kelly was happy Jenny was being nice to her. She didn’t need a boss right now. Kelly flicked her red hair over her shoulder and took a sip of her coffee. Then she turned back to the director.

“And about Tony, you don’t have to feel betrayed. I don’t think my dad never told him. I met him in Baltimore PD before he even knew my dad. I worked in there for few months before joining sniper training. I met Tony and we became friends. We still call sometimes and sometimes play badminton together when I'm in DC.” Kelly said, grinning when she saw Jenny’s smile, she was sure Jenny couldn’t picture Tony playing badminton.

Jenny opened her mouth to say something but her phone interrupted them She said her apologies and walked out of the café to answer the call. Kelly stood up as well. Director Shephard would know where she went.
Chapter End Notes:
There is few things in the storyline I think I will update sometime but for now we go with this. :)