- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs remembers, fights with Welsh and says his goodbyes.
Painful Past, Part 4

NCIS, MTAC

After Franks had helped Gibbs to remember everything had gone mad. Kelly couldn’t understand why they didn’t listen to her dad. He might be injured but he still was the best agent in NCIS. After listening her father arguing with Deputy Director Welsh for ages in MTAC, Kelly actually flinched when the ship blew up on the screen. She could sense the anger, hurt, betrayal and disappointment radiating from her father, who was still staring at the screen.

“Dad.” Kelly said, taking step towards him.

Gibbs ignored his daughter and stormed out of the MTAC, leaving Kelly with stunned director of NCIS and Deputy Director Welsh. Kelly turned to look at Welsh, her greyblue eyes flashing when she looked at him. Jenny noticed this and rushed to stop the younger agent before she could do anything to harm her career.

“Kelly, don’t.” She said and when Kelly didn’t seem to listen she added: “That was an order, agent Gibbs.”

Kelly narrowed her eyes at her before walking out of the MTAC. She needed to find her father. Outside of the door she met DiNozzo. Tony looked tired, just like they all did. Downstairs McGee was sitting behind his desk, leaning his hands against his head. Abby was half leaning and half sitting on his table. Ziva seemed to be lost in her thoughts. Kelly pulled the man who she considered to be her older brother in for a hug.

“What happened?” Tony asked, after they pulled back.

Kelly sighed: “I’ll tell you later. Where is he?”

It was Tony’s turn to sigh. He nodded his head towards the director’s office. Kelly bit her lip. She wanted to see him before Jenny came from MTAC. DiNozzo seemed to understand because he nodded. Kelly gave him a small smile that didn’t reach her eyes. She walked away from Tony, leaving the senior field agent into the corridor. When Kelly couldn’t see Cynthia she just walked into the director’s office.

“Dad.” She asked when she was him sitting on one of the chairs.

“Not now, Kelly.” He said, sounding more stern than before.

Kelly ignored him, kneeling down next to his chair. She looked at him but he wouldn’t meet her gaze. She looked away and pressed her hand over her knee, trying to offer comfort. He was trembling under her hand and she knew everything would change now. She reached to touch his cheek and whispered with tears in her eyes: “I’m so sorry, dad.”

“There is nothing you have to be sorry for”, he said, but didn’t manage to bring himself sound gentle, “you didn’t do anything.”

To Kelly it sounded like an insult. She looked down again. The door opened and Jenny walked in. Kelly pushed herself up, wiping the knees of her jeans. She walked out of the room, wiping her eyes with her hand. When the door closed with a slow thud, Gibbs stood up.

“She is great girl, Jethro.” Jenny said softly.

Gibbs didn’t answer and Jenny knew now wasn’t time for this kind of talk. Jenny walked behind her desk and sat down. Gibbs ran his hand over his face and then said: “I was wrong.”

Jenny sighed: “You weren’t wrong.”

Gibbs bit back the bitter laugh: “I was angry at Mike. I never understood how he could quit.”

Jenny wanted to say something but she didn’t have a chance before his next words stopped her dead: “Until now.”

With that he left her office, leaving her stand in the stunned silence. He hadn’t said it but she knew what he had meant. He meant that she was losing one of her best agents because of a stupid thing. She couldn’t blame him but she wished he wasn’t so much like Mike Franks. She needed him here, This agency needed Jethro Gibbs and the problem was they had already lost him.

Kelly was leaning against Tony’s desk. Ziva and McGee were sitting behind their own desks and Abby and Ducky were standing in the squad room as well. Gibbs walked into the squad room and Tony stood up. He walked over to the drawer, opened it and pulled out a gun and badge: “I have them, boss. I got them from the medics when they took you.”

“Appreciate it”, Gibbs said and took the items from him before pressing them back into his hand, “you’ll do. It’s your team now.”

When Gibbs squeezed his shoulder, Tony looked at him, his eyes wide and unbelieving. Kelly looked down. She had known this. She and her dad changed a quick glance before Gibbs turned to look at McGee: “Tim, you’re a good agent. Don’t let him tell you otherwise.”

McGee, who looked as stunned as DiNozzo did, said: “I won’t, boss.”

Abby’s lips were trembling. This couldn’t be happening. They couldn’t let Gibbs just leave. Gibbs walked to her and she whimpered out his name. Gibbs pressed his finger over her lips and kissed her cheek. After Abby he walked to Kelly and kissed her hair. She looked up at him and he said softly: “See you later today?”

“Of course”, she whispered, “love you.”

He nodded and ran his finger over her cheek before turning to look at Ducky who was standing nearby.

“Duck”, he said with a sigh, “give me a ride home.”

“Of course.” The medical examiner nodded at his friend.

Together they walked towards the elevator but Gibbs turned to look back at his old team. His friends. His family. He looked at Kelly who was looking back at him with intense eyes. She gave him a little nod. That was all he needed.

“Semper Fi.”