- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kelly and Gibbs talk before he leaves for Mexico.
Painful past, Part 5

Gibbs was waiting. He knew she would come over to see him after he had given his badge to DiNozzo. He looked at the pictures that were inside of Kelly’s old lunch box and smiled. Shannon looked beautiful. Little Kelly looked beautiful. And adult Kelly looked just like her mother. He wanted her here. Gibbs closed the box and put it into the shelf. He turned around and leaned his arms against the smooth surface of the boat. He heard how the door opened upstairs. Soon Kelly walked into the basement, sitting down on the stairs. She was holing a glass of wine but didn’t drink it. Gibbs waited.

“Why are you doing this?” Kelly asked after few minutes of silence.

“I don’t see any other option.” He said but didn’t look at her. He could hear the pain in her voice and he didn’t want to see it as well.

“You can’t just leave, dad!” Kelly said, raising her voice, “they need you to stay! I need you to stay!”

“I just can’t stay. Not after what happened today, Kelly.” He said, walking towards her and sitting down next to her, “I need to let my memory heal and I just can’t be near of them right now. Everything is still confusing…”

“So you just leave?! Kelly said, not bothering to wipe her tears, “why can’t you let us help you? Let me help? You’re leaving me again!”

Gibbs pulled her close, pressing her against his chest. He caressed her hair, feeling terrible for causing her distress. He needed her to understand. He tried to comfort her as best as he could and after a long moment she stopped crying. He pressed a kiss on top of her head and made her look at him: “I’m not leaving you, Kelly.”

“I know.” She sighed, her voice raw for crying.

“No you don’t. I don’t want you to think that I leave you”, Gibbs said, “you could come to Mexico with me.”

“Mexico?!” Kelly asked, her head shooting up: “I knew this was Franks’ doing!”

“Mike doesn’t know about this.” He said, “but I need to go. I don’t want to be anywhere near of NCIS or any other agencies right now and like the doctor said, I have to member on my own. Come with me, Kelly.”

“Dad, I can’t, I still have my job. I’m too young to retire”, Kelly said, new wave of tears threatening to fall, “I could come to see you though, if you want.”

Gibbs looked at her: “I would love it.”

Kelly smiled through her tears. Gibbs tightened his hold of her. He knew they had lot of things to fix and he knew they had to go different ways for now but this time he wasn’t going to let her get away. From now on he would keep her close, no matter what.

Kelly’s breathing calmed down and he knew she had fallen asleep, all the worry finally catching up with her. He smiled as she snuggled against his shoulder. He picked her up, ignoring the pain in his still healing body. He carried her into his bedroom and settled her down on the bed. He took off her hoodie and jeans before pulling the covers over her sleeping for. Gibbs sat down on the edge of the bed, caressing her red hair. He pressed a kiss over her forehead.

“Sleep well, Kelly.” He whispered before standing up, with a one last look at his daughter he switched the light off and closed the door behind him.

When Kelly woke up it was nearly noon. She sat and recognized her dad’s bedroom, frowning when she couldn’t remember how she had ended up here. She fell back against the pillows. She had slept nearly nine hours. She must have been more exhauster she had first thought. When she looked around Kelly noticed an envelope on the nightstand, next to her car keys and cell phone. First she checked her phone. 5 missed calls. She knew it would be either her boss or then Tony. Both of them could wait. She picked up the envelope. For Kelly. She opened it, pulled out the letter and started to read.

Kelly. I’m sorry I had to leave while you were sleeping but like I said, I’m not leaving you. I know I made mistakes back then but I’m not going to let you go again. Ducky, doctor Gelfland and you are right, I have to remember on my own. I know my rules forbid apologizing but you deserve my apologies. I’m sorry about everything. I fucked up after Shannon’s death and now I don’t know you at all. When we see each other again we will fix it.

If DiNozzo or the others bother you asking about me, slap the back of their heads. It helps specially with DiNozzo. I’m not going to come back to NCIS but when I come back to DC we have to talk. I know eight year old Kelly but because of my own stupidity I don’t know twenty eight year old Kelly and I need to change that. Don’t take any risks at work, that’s an order. I don’t want to experience these last weeks again. Specially if the roles are revised. Don’t get killed either. I can’t lose you. Not when in my mind I have just lost your mother. If you die while I’m away you’ll answer to me.

Every time you stay at DC you can stay at my house. The door is open and the spare key is in the basement. There is address to Mike’s beach house but don’t let anyone else see it. Remember not to involve lawyers or the FBI. Specially not Fornell, he’s an idiot. Don’t trust anyone and always double check.

Come to visit me soon.

Love,
Dad


Kelly set the letter on the table and pressed her back against the soft mattress. Somehow she didn't feel like crying. He would be back someday and they could be family again. Before that she needed to visit him in Mexico. Leaving her dad alone with Mike Franks couldn't be good thing. Kelly was sure he wouldn't mind if other's visited him as well. They would help him remember. She smiled as she closed her eyes. Her work in Norfolk's NCIS field office could wait few more hours. She was too comfortable to move right now.
Chapter End Notes:
One more chapter left of this fic after this one and it will be an epilogue. But I will write more fics about adult Kelly and have been starting another fic already. :)