- Text Size +
Dr. Mallard,” Director Vance said, “I know this was a difficult decision, but I believe you are making the right choice.” He stood extending his hand to the doctor. Dr. Mallard reciprocated and the two shook hands warmly.

“Thank you, Director.”

The door leading from Director Vance's office closed gently behind Dr. Mallard with an audible click, not much louder than a whisper, but its finality struck a loud chord deep within his soul.

Ducky looked down on the bull pen from the landing above and watched as his friends went about their routine. Timothy and Abigail were at Tim's computer working on a program that would help Abby with her face recognition software. Anthony and Ziva were engaged in some casual banter about Tony's date last weekend. His dear friend, Jethro Gibbs, was on the phone following up on a detail of a recent case. With a quick glance to the ceiling Ducky took in a deep breath and released a heavy sigh before descending the staircase. Normally he would have taken the elevator straight down to autopsy, but today was different. Slowly, using the cane for extra support, he stepped down the stairs unwilling to bring the news to his friends any faster.

Gibbs was the first one to look up. Upon seeing his friend, he gave Ducky a quick grin, but before he could call out a greeting something about the look on Ducky's face registered and his smiled disappeared replaced by a look of concern.

“Hey, Duckman! How are you? We missed you.” Abby ran to the foot of the steps to give Ducky a big hug. She noticed the cane and held her usual energetic greeting in check. Stopping just in front of him, she gave him a gentle hug.

Ducky returned the hug and then held her away from his so he could see her face. Looking up into her eyes, he gave her a sad smile and said, “I am fine, Abigail, thank you.”

Abby noted the less than enthusiastic returned greeting and the sad look in Ducky's eyes. She turned to Gibbs for some answers.

The rest of the team watched while Abby greeted their ME, they also noticed that something was not quite right. After exchanging quick glances of concern they also went over to join Abby in greeting Ducky and welcoming him back.

Only Gibbs stayed back watching and accessing the situation. Dr. Mallard excused himself from the rest of the group and walked over to Gibb's desk.

“Hello, Duck, welcome back. I'm glad to see you're feeling better. Still have the cane I see.”

“Hello, Jethro. Well, yes, I thought I'd hang onto the cane a while, for effect,” he said with a smile that did not reach his eyes. He started to move off towards the elevator, but Gibbs stopped him, holding onto his upper arm. He turned his old friend towards him lifting up the brim of Ducky's hat in order to see the doctor's eyes better.

“Duck?”

The unspoken question caused Ducky to break eye contact.

Looking down he said, “Well, now is as good of a time as ever.” Sighing he said, “I'd rather do this only once, Jethro. Do you think you could summon Mr. Palmer and have him come up here?”

Once Jimmy Palmer arrived the whole team gathered around the ME to listen to what he had to say. Ducky, who had been sitting against the edge of Gibb's desk, stood up and looked around at his good friends.

“Yes, well, this isn't easy for me, but the best way to do this is to just come out and say it.” He looked into the expectant gazes of each of his friends.

“In light of last week's mishap, I have been doing some thinking and have made the decision to retire. I've given a month's notice so that Director Vance has time to hire a replacement. Now if you will excuse me, I have some work that needs doing.”

With that he turned and entered the elevator to retreat to autopsy, leaving behind a stunned silence.