- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and Kate have some kind of a Gibbsy heart to heart
Ziva continuously grew stronger, healthier, and happier. Kate on the other hand was not as proactive. Sure, she was happy normal Kate, joking with Mcgee, sweet and innocent around Tony, and gossiping with Abby, Tuni, and Ziva. But, whenever Gibbs entered a room, she shut up and used any excuse she could find to be able to leave the room.

"Kate?" Gibbs said as he lighty knocked on her bedroom door. Kate came over and opened it. 

"What do you want." she asked snarkily.

"I want to talk, just talk." She hesitated a moment before letting him into the room. Gibbs looked around. The room was painted in stripes of multiple purples. Eveything else was purple, furnature, sheets, everthing. She sat back down on her bed and continued to do math homework that, as usual, she didn't understand.  

"Screw this!" she shouted throwing her math homework and book on the ground and picking up her sketchbook. Gibbs bent over and picked up the book and homework. He looked it over. 

"Do you want some help?"

"What would you know about math?" She said to him, not looking up. 

"Math, believe it or not, was my best subject in school. I understand what you're doing, let me help."

Kate slowly put down her sketchbook. And made room for Gibbs on the bed. He sat next to her and layed the book in her lap. "Start this problem, and work up until you don't understand it."

"I don't understand any of it." She admitted. 

"Okay. What you need to do is first write out the problem." She did, and Gibbs talked her through it. Soon, she was able to do every problem without hesitation. She finished the math and set the homework aside. 

"Thanks, Gibbs." those were the first nice words she had said to him since he got back five weeks ago. 

"No problem." he watched her as she switched positions, sitting crosslegged on the bed facing him instead of sitting next to him.

"You wanted to talk to me." She said quietly as she brought a pillow into her lap and holding it to her chest. 

"Yeah I did." He faced her to, sighed, and began. "I want to know what I did that made you so mad."

"You left." She stated simply. 

"Yeah, I did, but I've left before and it's never bothered you before. I ran away and went to Mexico and that didn't bother you. Why this, why now?"

"I… My… I…" she didn't know how to explain. "I was bothered when you went to Mexico, Gibbs. I still am bothered by that a bit." 

"Why?"

"I've been abandoned before, Gibbs. My dad left my family. He and I were really close, and now, I haven't seen him since I was eight. It still hurts. And seeing you leave, twice, just brought back more pain. I didn't want to forgive you, I still don't, but… I don't know anymore. You're the only dad I have, Gibbs, the only one that still cares."

"Kate." Gibbs didn't know what else to say. He leaned over and wrapped her in his arms. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"You didn't know, Gibbs, you thought you were doing the rght thing."

"Yeah, but still." He kissed her forehead. "I do see you as my daughter, Kate, because you are."

"Okay, Gibbs." 

He kissed her forehead. "I'm gonna go downstairs, okay."

"Yeah, I'll be down there soon."

Gibbs left and Kate picked back up her sketchbook. She opened it up to what she was working on, a rough sketch of the "family" and she began to add Gibbs in.
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry this one's a little short but it was needed and I couldn't really fit it in with anything else. Comments are always appreciated. And sorry for waiting so long to update, I've had a lot to do lately.