- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
See ch 1
Tony felt warm, safe and utterly relaxed. He took a deep breath and became aware of the arm slung around his midriff and the warm body lying next to him. Gibbs. He was in Gibbs’ bed. Being held. Gibbs murmured something in his sleep, shifted and burrowed closer, tightening his hold on Tony. A gentle kiss was pressed against his neck. Gibbs’ lips were softer than he had imagined. He knew he should be getting up, but couldn’t think of a single reason why. Drifting off, Tony clasped the hand resting on his stomach and was asleep again within seconds.

Something warm and wet nuzzled against his face. Tony tried to brush it away, but his hand came in contact with a stubbled face. “Mmm?” he mumbled, trying to wake up. Something warm fastened around his wrist. His other arm was raised above his head, another firm grip, and he was immobilized.

“Gotcha!” Gibbs exclaimed triumphantly. He was straddling Tony, watching him with that intent look he’d had earlier in the car. “And this time I’m not letting you go.” Gibbs leaned down and kissed Tony before he could react. His mouth closed down on Tony’s, his body covering his, claiming him, taking possession.

Tony’s mind went blank. He could feel his body reacting, no matter how much he tried to focus on anything but the hard body of the man lying on top of him. Cold showers. Nope. The image only conjured up his favorite fantasy of a naked Gibbs in the shower, running sudsy hands over his nononoo…! Tony tried to shift his hips away from Gibbs, to ease the pressure, but the older man had him pinned down. Gibbs was hard, and Tony gasped as he felt their erections rub against each other.

Gibbs let his mouth go and sat up, running his hands across Tony’s body. God, this was a nightmare. Tony wanted this. For years he’d longed for Gibbs, but never had he imagined ending up like this. Lying in Gibbs’ bed, kissing him and wanting Gibbs to stop. A moment later his wrists were held again.

Resorting to humor, Tony tried to deflect the seriousness of the situation by making a joke. “For future reference, Boss, I prefer leather cuffs,” he said, trying to get Gibbs to ease up his grip.

“That can be arranged, DiNozzo,” Gibbs growled, as his eyes grew darker.

“Let me go, Gibbs. Now!” Tony mustered up as much authority as he could, trying to get through to him.

“Don’t want to.”

“Please, Boss. Jethro…Remember Petty Officer Dolan? He slipped something in your coffee. That’s why you’re doing this. You don’t want this, Boss. Not with me.”

“I do want you, Tony. Have for a long time.” Gibbs leaned forward and kissed him again.

“Then wait, Gibbs, wait until the morning. Please.” Tony closed his eyes, trying to hang on to the last shred of sanity he could muster. If he gave in, and it turned out it was just the drugs talking, it would ruin everything. He had Gibbs’ six, he was the one Gibbs could rely on. If he let this happen in Gibbs’ current condition, he would let him down. He’d rather not have Gibbs at all than to lose him as a friend, or lose his trust as a boss.

The ‘please’ seemed to get through, and Gibbs released him. He lay back down, snuggling up against Tony and whispering into his ear; “We’re not done, DiNozzo.” A few moments later Gibbs was asleep again. Tony remained where he was for a long time, staring at the slowly revolving fan in the ceiling. The whole afternoon had been so surreal he couldn’t have been more surprised if the Cheshire Cat had showed up at head quarters, reporting the Mad Hatter missing.

What would happen in the morning? Would Gibbs even remember? Tony took a deep breath, trying to calm down. Focusing on one limb at a time, he could feel his body relax. Gibbs was warm against his back, his arm once again holding Tony close. In the morning. They’d resolve this tomorrow. With that Tony drifted off again.

*****************************************

The house was quiet when Dr Mallard let himself in an hour later. He’d been held up a bit at the Yard, but found himself in no hurry to get over to Tacoma Park. Tony was perfectly capable of handling the situation, and according to Abigail, Gibbs would be fine in the morning. He looked into the living room, but found it empty. Checking the kitchen, Ducky found that vacant too, but he saw the remnants of a meal still sitting on the kitchen counter.

Venturing upstairs, he walked quietly down the hall, not wanting to disturb the two if they were asleep. The team had been working around the clock the last couple of days to recover a missing child. That was when Gibbs had been drugged by the father, in a desperate attempt to get away with the little girl. Tony had found Gibbs sitting on the front step of the suspect’s hideout, trying to call for backup, but clearly not able to.

Inside the suspect’s house, Gibbs’ coffee was still sitting on the kitchen counter, and was immediately brought to Abby for analysis. As they had approached the Navy Yard, Gibbs had started humming, and things had gone downhill from there. Ducky shook his head, remembering how worried Tony had been when he brought Gibbs in. He couldn’t help wonder how the two had gotten along this afternoon.

Soft snoring from the master bedroom caught his attention and he wandered further down the hall, lightening his steps as he got nearer to the door. It was slightly ajar, and he pushed it open, wanting to get a peek inside. The room was quiet, both men fast asleep. Gibbs was lying on his side, holding Tony close. Approaching the bed, Dr. Mallard could see that Tony was clasping Gibbs’ hand in his sleep. Walking over to the far side of the bed, he checked on Gibbs, but decided against waking the man.

Ducky reached over and shook Tony’s shoulder lightly, wanting to wake him up without disturbing Gibbs.

“Anthony,” he whispered, squeezing the younger man’s arm. A few moments later Tony woke up, looking around in confusion.

“Could you come downstairs, I need to have a word with you,” Ducky asked quietly.

Tony suddenly seemed aware of where he was. He blushed to the tips of his ears and quickly freed himself from Gibbs’ hold before following the doctor downstairs.

“McGee asked me to tell you Petty Officer Dolan was arrested an hour ago. Little Lindsey is reunited with her mother.”

“Way to go, McSherlock! I’ll call him tomorrow. Thanks, Ducky.” At least something good came out of all this, Tony thought as he trotted down the stairs.

“So, has the afternoon been eventful?” Ducky asked, as they reached the living room.

“Nothing’s happened, Ducky. I wouldn’t take advantage of him, you should know that,” Tony said, hurt that they were even having this conversation.

“My dear boy, you are mistaken!” Ducky said, patting his arm. “I would never imply you were capable of such a thing. No, I was merely inquiring about the state of Jethro’s mind and how you’ve been coping.”

“Oh…,” Tony replied, smiling sheepishly at the older man. “Sorry, Ducky, I should have known you wouldn’t think that. I wouldn’t, not with…” he paused. Taking a deep breath, he continued, “Not with Gibbs…”

Ducky looked at him for a long time, his thoughtful eyes scrutinizing him, until Tony had to stop himself from squirming. An image of Gibbs lying on top of him, his hard body pressed against his own flashed before his eyes, and he couldn’t stop a blush from creeping up his neck again.

“Anthony, are you in love with Jethro?”

“What? No, I…ah…I couldn’t…” Tony trailed off. He felt winded and walked over to the windows, standing with his back to the older man.

Tony could hear him coming closer and he steeled himself for the inevitable. Surely Ducky couldn’t have been serious earlier at the Yard, when he had said Gibbs had feelings for him. Or maybe he’d meant that Gibbs had paternal feelings for him, loved him as a son. Yeah, that had to be it. He leaned his forehead against the cool glass and watched as a squirrel hurried across the lawn, before disappearing up a cherry tree. Tony closed his eyes, trying to collect himself.

A warm hand, running in soothing circles across his back, brought him out of his reveries.

“You know he cares deeply for you, Tony, don’t you?” Ducky asked quietly.

“Yeah, like a renegade nephew he has to whip into shape,” Tony joked, trying to lighten the mood.

“No, Jethro’s feelings run much deeper; surely you must have seen that?” Ducky said, squeezing Tony’s shoulder firmly.

“Like a son, you mean?”

“Anthony,” Ducky admonished. “We both know that’s not what I’m referring to.”

“He has been married four times, Ducky. In case you haven’t noticed, I’m not a redhead.”

“Love comes in all shapes and forms, Tony, you know that! It is most precious, son, do not throw it away.”

Dr Mallard gave Tony’s arm one last squeeze and then walked back to the couch. Folding his coat over his arm, he headed towards the front door. Tony followed behind, not quite knowing what to say.

“Stay with him tonight, Tony. I’m afraid he’ll wander off if he doesn’t find you in the room with him. In his state, it is not advisable to have him roaming the neighborhood. Also, make sure he does not have access to any weapons or such.”

“Already taken care of, Ducky. I took his gun and his keys off him when we arrived back at headquarters. I’m not taking any risks.” He paused, looked at the older doctor for a moment. “Thanks, Ducky, for everything,” Tony said, smiling shyly.

Dr Mallard nodded and opened the door. He stopped and turned back towards Tony. “Just make sure you’re not hurt, either, my boy. He is fond of you, but he’s also a very stubborn man. Jethro’s feelings run deep, Anthony, very deep. He might be weary of letting you in, but when he does, he’ll love you and protect you.”

Tony felt lightheaded. To have Ducky call him on his feelings was unnerving, but also liberating. Maybe Ducky was right; maybe he and Gibbs had a chance.

They talked for a couple more minutes. With a few final instructions, the doctor was gone and the house was again silent. Tony turned off the lights downstairs, snagged an afghan from the back of the couch and returned to the bedroom. Gibbs was still asleep, lying on his back with one arm slung over Tony’s side of the bed. He shook his head, refusing to let that notion take root. He had no ‘side’ of the bed. Not now, maybe not ever. The reality of the situation washed over him. All he had were pipedreams, silly schoolgirl fantasies.

There was an armchair at the far side of the bed. He curled up as best he could and tried to relax. There was just enough light seeping in through the door for him to make out Gibbs’ features. His eyes moved across Gibbs’ face, drinking in the familiar planes and angles. Tony rarely had the chance to really study Gibbs like this, without risking someone else observing what he was doing, asking questions, seeing things they shouldn’t. Gibbs looked younger in his sleep, unguarded.

Gibbs turned towards him, but didn’t wake up. Tony closed his eyes, trying to fall asleep. A sound from the bed caught his attention. Gibbs had turned towards the opposite side of the bed again, his arm curled around a pillow.

“Tony,” Gibbs murmured, “stay…stay with me.” Tony froze, wondering whether Gibbs was awake or just dreaming. He leaned forward, trying to get a closer look at him.

“Tony…” Gibbs’ voice was soft and a smiled played around his lips.

Unable to resist, Tony slipped out of his pants and sweatshirt and climbed under the covers again. Moments later Gibbs held him close, breathing softly against his neck. Before long, Tony was fast asleep.


********************************************

Gibbs awoke slowly, his usual alertness replaced by a dull headache. He opened his eyes to find Tony sleeping beside him. He sat up abruptly, groaning as his head protested.

Tony opened his eyes, and looked into Gibbs’ very confused face.

“What the hell are you doing in my bed, DiNozzo?”

A flash if emotion played across Tony’s face, as he too sat up. “I…ah…what do you remember, Boss?”

“Remember?” Gibbs frowned. “Don’t play games, DiNozzo,” he growled. “There better be a good explanation for you being here.”

Tony looked at him for a long moment. He was just about to bark another order when the younger man slid out of bed " at least he had some clothes on - Gibbs observed, and grabbed his pants off of the chair by the bed.

“Petty Officer Dolan drugged your when you tried to persuade him to surrender his daughter into our custody. You had established a rapport with him, and didn’t want to say no when he offered you a cup of coffee. That is about as much as you had time to tell me before the drugs knocked you out. McGee worked with Myers’ team to track him down. Lindsey Dolan is safely back with her mother. Dolan is in custody. I’ve been watching over you since last night. Ducky’s been by to check up on you, and you’re on sick leave until Monday. That about sums it up.”

Tony pulled on a sweater and apparently searched momentarily for his socks. Gibbs frowned again as he watched the flustered agent get down on his knees and look under the bed. Tony sat down at the edge of the bed, turning towards Gibbs as he finished dressing.

Tony looked at his boss. The playful man from last night was gone. He wondered if he’d ever see a glimpse of that side of Gibbs again. The warm look in his eyes was replaced by a cold stare. He’d known last night was a drug induced episode, but still, it hurt to have Gibbs look at him like he was something the cat had dragged in. ‘Get a grip, DiNozzo! What did you expect, breakfast in bed? Sweet nothings whispered in your ear?’ Tony shook his head at his own stupidity. Why had he slept in Gibbs’ bed? ‘Idiot,’ he berated himself.

Gibbs looked like death warmed over. His eyes were bloodshot, and he kept rubbing his forehead. Probably suffering form caffeine withdrawal, Tony thought. Maybe he could make breakfast, have this morning end in a better way than it started. A nice meal, good, strong coffee for Gibbs, and he could tell him a sanitized version of last night’s events. ‘Yeah, good plan, good plan, Tony. Maybe we can still salvage this,’ he thought.

Gibbs studied Tony carefully. He was clearly deep in thought, casting the occasional look in his direction. An image flashed before Gibbs’ eyes, he and Tony walking out of head quarters, holding hands. He looked at Tony again. His hair was sticking up in six different directions, and Gibbs realized he knew what Tony’s hair smelled like. What the hell had happened last night? He shook his head, trying to clear his mind. Had he made a move on him? A wave of frustration flooded over him. Had he ruined any chances he might have had with Tony by this stupid shit? Gibbs became aware of Tony talking to him.

“If you’d like to have a shower I’ll run out and get us some breakfast.” Tony looked at him, eager, ready to please.

“I don’t need you to babysit me, DiNozzo,” Gibbs exclaimed, barely able to contain his frustration anymore. “All I need is to be left alone.”

Tony froze. He straightened up and picked his phone and wallet off of the bedside table. Hiding his hurt behind a neutral mask he avoided looking at Gibbs, quickly making sure he hadn’t left anything behind. Satisfied he wouldn’t have to return, he finally looked at his boss.

“Yeah…you’re clearly back to your normal self, Boss. I’ll get out of your hair. Just remember what your daddy told you about accepting treats from strangers, ok? I know you love your coffee, but buy your own today, unless you wanna…” Tony stopped abruptly, suddenly aware he was rambling on and on.

“Tony…” Gibbs said quietly, knowing his outburst had been uncalled for. Gibbs knew he’d reacted badly. Clearly Tony had gone out of his way to keep him safe, and all he could do was shout? Was he such an ingrained bastard he was unable to be decent to Tony?

“No, don’t sweat it, Boss. Ducky will be by later. Call me if you need anything.” Reaching into his pocket, Tony pulled out a set of keys. “I’ll leave these on the hall table.” With that Tony was gone.

Gibbs sat back down on the bed, wondering what had just happened. He got up, and made his way into the bathroom. He slowly stripped, his mind still preoccupied with the last scene in his bedroom. He knew he was missing vital clues. Disjointed phrases and images kept popping up, and he couldn’t decide which were true and which were not. Had he really asked McGee to go to Six Flags? Gibbs shook his head. Ducky. Ducky could provide answers. He got into the shower and let the warm water soothe his aching head. Coffee. He needed coffee.

*******************************************


“Jethro, how long have we known each other?” They were eating an early dinner in the kitchen, a Chinese takeout Dr Mallard had brought.

“Too many,” Gibbs chuckled. “We’re getting old, Ducky.”

“Well, speak for yourself, Jethro. I don’t feel in the least old. You, on the other hand, must be suffering from early onset dementia.” The older man put down the silverware and cocked his head, looking at his companion with an earnest expression on his face.

“Excuse me?” Gibbs frowned, wondering what the other man was referring to.

“Well, that is the only explanation I’ve found for your behavior today.”

“You’ve talked to Tony.”

“Briefly,” Dr Mallard replied.

“Come on, Ducky! I wake up this morning to find DiNozzo sleeping in my bed. I keep having these disjointed images flashing through my mind, and I can’t make sense of anything. Did I really ask McGee to go to Six Flags with me?” He hesitated. “Did I try to grope DiNozzo?”

Ducky chuckled. “So you do remember some of it,” he smiled.

“Yeah, but not everything seems real,” Gibbs admitted. He rubbed his hands across his face and took a deep breath. “The thing is, Ducky,” he hesitated, “if I did these things I keep remembering, why did he stay? Why did he spend the night, in my bed? I should think having your male boss come on to you would have him run for the hills.”

“Did you come on to him?” Ducky asked.

“I was holding him down, kissing him.” Gibbs rested his head in his hands. “I’ll probably have his resignation on my desk in the morning.”

“Which leads me back to my original statement,” Ducky said, exasperation seeping into his voice.

“What?”

“Why did young Anthony stay, Jethro?” Dr Mallard asked, before munching away on another piece of stir fried pork.

“He had my six, Ducky, as always,” Gibbs said quietly. “I doubt he signed up for last night’s assignment, though.”

“Duty? You’re contributing his staying here to duty?” Ducky shook his head. “For once I believe Abigail must have been wrong. The cocktail you got yesterday is clearly hampering your cognitive abilities.” Dr Mallard got up, put his empty plate in the sink and picked up his bag from the kitchen counter.

“What is that famous gut of yours telling you, Jethro?”

With that he was gone. Gibbs sat by the kitchen table for a long time, until his dinner was cold, and the house grew dark. Finally he straightened up, snatched his car keys and wallet off of the hall table, and got into his car. The route he took was familiar, having driven it several times in the past. Gibbs stopped by a pizza place and bought a large sausage, pepperoni and extra cheese pizza. A few minutes later he pulled up in front of an apartment building. He jogged up the stairs, took a left as he walked into the hallway, searching for apartment 4C. He knocked, and moments later, the door opened, and he found himself face to face with his senior agent.

“We need to talk, Tony,” Gibbs said, entering the apartment as the other man stepped aside to let him in.
Chapter End Notes:
A warm hug and thanks to tutncleo for the sanity reads, the inspirational chats and the beta. You ROCK!