- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kate dumps one guy and ends up in bed with another.
It has been another tough day at work and all Kate wants to do is sit down and relax, and with her boyfriend by her side. She opened the door to his apartment.
“ Danny I’m back. Sorry it’s late” Kate said as she closed the door behind her. The hallway lights weren’t turned on, only the bathroom light was. She could here some voices coming from the bathroom.
“ Danny” she said again. Just then Danny came out from the bathroom and into the hallway where Kate was standing. He was only wearing a towel and his hair was wet.
“ Oh hey, I wasn’t expecting you tonight” he said with a smile on his face.
“ Well I thought I was going to be later but my boss let me go early” she said making her way to him. A voice then came from behind him, then a blonde wearing only a towel appeared behind him. Kate stopped and looked at the two of them.
“ I see” she said, not looking at him.
“ Kate it’s not what you think. We just had a bath, it was nothing” he tried to explain to her, while the blonde went and hide in the bathroom.
“ Really so I shouldn’t be angry and annoyed at you for taking a bath with another women?” she asked sarcastically.
“ It’s not like we slept together” he said with a little laugh.
“ No, you just got in a bath tub with a naked women. Your pathetic” she said then grabbed her things and left.
“ Kate” he called after her but she left slamming the door behind her. She was so infuriated. There was no way she could home like this, she would drink until she passed out for sure. The safest place for her right now is back to work.
She arrived at NCIS and had to show her badge to the security guard to get back into the building. She went straight for her desk and put her things down. She turned on her computer and sat there starring at the screen. She didn’t want to cry but it hurt. She put her head on her desk.
“ Kate what are you doing here” Gibbs said as he entered the bullpen heading for his desk.
“ Um. Well. I couldn’t go home” she finally said. Gibbs looked at her suspiciously.
“ Gibbs I would just rather stay here tonight. It’s safer” she said quietly. Gibbs walked over to her desk and stood in front of her.
“ Safer for who?” he asked.
“ Me”. Gibbs gave her his famous look. He knew her to well.
“ And Danny” she sighed. Gibbs smiled and went back to his desk. He knew Kate would tell him everything in due time.
“ Can you believe he actually thoughthttp://www.myspace.com/13ecky_13oop taking a bath with another women doesn’t count as cheating. He’s naked, she’s naked how could you not count that as cheating. I don’t even want to think about what they would have done if I didn’t catch them. Now can you see why I must stay here Gibbs?” she told him.
“ Nope” he flatly said as he watched her.
“ Gibbs, if I went home I would drink until I passed out on the floor and be unable to come in to work tomorrow” she explained. He shook his head and got up and went over to her desk.
“ No you wouldn’t” he said softly.
“ How do you know?”.
“ Because your not like that” he simply said. Kate looked at him, trying to figure him out.
“ And how do you know what I like?” she asked.
“ Kate go home, get some sleep” he said. Then her cell phone started ringing. She picked it up and looked at the caller ID ‘Danny’. She opened it and rejected the call.
“ How am I suppose to when he is going to keep calling with his lame excuses?” she asked him. Gibbs nodded in agreement. He knew how hard it was to forget someone when they kept calling.
“ So can I stay?” she asked. He just looked at her again.
“ Gibbs I need to be somewhere where I cant think of him. Where I can focus on something else” she told him.
“ Have you eaten?” he simply asked ignoring everything she had just said.
“ Yes, but” she started
“ Chinese?” he butted in.
“ Sure” she said. Gibbs makes his way to the elevator and Kate grabs her things and follows him to the elevator. Once they get to the car park Kate grabs her keys from her bag. Gibbs grabbed her keys off her.
“ You wont be needing these” he said and grabbed his keys and headed for his car. Kate smiled to herself and got in his car.
“ So is this the after hours Gibbs I’m seeing?” she asked. Gibbs smiled.
“ Why do you say that?” he asked.
“ Well at work your so grumpy” she says. Gibbs looks over at her.
“ I mean your always barking orders at us and lapping Tony and McGee on the back of the head” she explained.
“ I’m your boss I’m suppose to give orders Kate. And if I didn’t do you think you would work as hard?” he said.
“ You have a point” Kate said with a smile as they pulled up to the Chinese restaurant.
They went inside and ordered the usual and got back into his car.
“ Gibbs where are we going? Work is the other way” Kate pointed out.
“ I know” was all he said. Kate sat there wondering where he was taking her. She didn’t recognise the streets. He finally pulled up a driveway and turned off the car.
“ Your house. Gibbs why are we here?” she asked confused as they walked up to the front door.
“ You wanted to be somewhere that you didn’t have to think about Fanny and I want to be home” he simply said with a smile. Kate laughed a little at the name he used. She followed him in and dropped her stuff at the door. She handed him his diner and followed him down to the basement where she saw his boat.
“ Wow Gibbs that’s amazing. And you’ve done all that without power tools?” she asked walking down the stairs.
“ Yep” he said as he pulled up a stool for her to sit on. She smiled at him and sat down and started eating. When they were finished Kate took the empty containers up stairs and put them in the bin. Her phone started ringing again. She checked caller ID and then she hung it up again. She decided to leave it on the kitchen counter that way she wouldn’t see the calls. She made her way back down to the basement and found Gibbs puttying his boat.
“ So when are you going to take me back to work so I can go home and go to bed” she asked ending it with a yawn.
“ Your not driving anywhere” he said not taking his eyes of his boat.
“ Well ok you can drive me home” she suggested. He put the putty down. He made his way over to her. He stood close to her and looked her in the eyes.
“ You can take my bed” he said. Kate couldn’t take her eyes of him.
“ Where are you going to sleep?” she asked softly.
“ On the couch”.
“ No Gibbs you have your bed, I’ll have the couch. It is after all your house” she said not looking at him anymore. He ran one hand through her hair and turned her head to his.
“ Kate take the damn bed, I don’t need” he said then kissed her on the cheek. He turned back to his boat and left her standing there. He picked up his putty and started where he had left off.
“ Where exactly would your bed be?” she asked with a smile.
“ Up the stairs, last on the left” he said. She turned and walked out of the basement. Gibbs stopped what he was doing and took a breath. He knew it was a mistake bringing her here but he couldn’t leave her at the office.
Kate found the door to his bedroom. She walked in and the bed looked like it had never been slept in. She looked around and there were no photos on the dresser just an alarm clock and an old newspaper.
“ He is right, he doesn’t need the bed” she said to herself. She looked around the room for something to wear to bed, she was not going to sleep in just her bra and undies in Gibbs’ house and bed. She went around the room looking for something, when she saw a shirt slung over the back of the chair in the corner. She pick it up, it was his old NIS shirt.
“ It’ll do” she said aloud to herself. She took off her shirt and pants. Then her bra and pulled on the shirt. She washed her face in the bathroom and went to bed. She curled up on the right side of the bed near the alarm clock.
Later that night Gibbs decided to check up on her. She is still curled up on the right side of the bed. She has thrown the covers off and he can see what she is wearing. He smiles and goes to her side to her side and gently pulls the blankets up on her. She grabs his hand and he looks down at her. Her eyes are still closed.
“ Stay” she says softly. Gibbs started to pull away as she must be dreaming.
“ Gibbs, stay” she said again. She obviously wasn’t dreaming and wanted him to stay. He knew he shouldn’t but being asked, told rather to stay by a beautiful woman, how could he refuse. He took his shoes off, climbed over her and laid next to her. Still holding his hand Kate pulled his arm closer to her so she was cuddling his arm like some toy, making Gibbs sleep right up behind her. He smiled to himself as he watched her side rise and fall from her breathing. He soon went to sleep with the smell of her around him.