- Text Size +
Chapter Nine

Everyone looked to Gibbs in shock. "Undercover? Me? But I'm not even a part of this agency." Aza exclaimed.

"With some cases, we allow those connected to the case to help with it. I remember once your brother mentioned you were quite an actress. He already knows what our agents look like, and we'd really rather not have to get the FBI involved. We will bug you, and provide you with the training to protect yourself. We'll also have agents on protective duty at all times. I think DiNozzo and McGee would volunteer. So what do you say Ms. DiNozzo? You want to join my team for awhile?" Gibbs asked and gave her a rare smile.

Aza returned the smile. "Sure, why not?" The she looked down at her casted arm. "But what about this?"

"Well, it should be off in another week or so, and that will give us enough time to teach you how to defend yourself, and use a gun. We'll continue the investigation, as if nothing has changed, and you can begin to get close to Long." Gibbs said plainly. "We'll set up surveillance in and around your home, as well as the bug on you. We can use one of your spare bedrooms to set up the computers, but we will have to be discreet about it."

"Whoa! Wait, I said you could talk to her and get your information, I never said you could turn her into a temporary undercover agent!" Tony flailed his arms about. "Besides, even if she does get her cast of next week she still has physical therapy!"

"Maybe! If I can show them that I can use my arm without it then I won't have to." Aza interrupted.

"I don't care, you are not getting involved in this." Tony told her putting his foot down.

Aza's eyes narrowed. "Excuse me? Did I just hear you tell me what I can and cannot do? Because last I checked, I'm a grown woman who is capable of making her own. And not to mention, you taught me how to defend myself when I graduated high school. Remember all the classes you forced me to take! And what about the karate, Tai Kwan Do, and other fighting classes you convinced me to take in high school? Hell, the only thing you didn't teach me how to do is shoot a gun!"

"Damn, DiNozzo, were you afraid someone was going to hurt her?" Gibbs asked sarcastically.

"I just didn't want to take any chances, and besides Aza, you haven't done it in years, you're probably rusty. "

"It's like riding a bike Tony, you never forget." She replied smartly.

"Maybe Tony's right, maybe you shouldn't jump into this so quickly." Tim said from behind her. She turned and gave him a look. "Or not. You should do what you think is best."

Aza smiled. "Thank you, Tim."

Tony rolled his eyes. "Way to be a man, Probie."

Aza punched him hard on the arm. "Leave him alone, Anthony!"

He rubbed his arm. "Well, we're just thinking about what's best for you, Azalea!"

"That's enough!" Gibbs exclaimed, stepping between the two. "Tony, she is a grown woman, if she wants to help, then she has every right to do so. When that cast comes off next week, I will have her training with Ziva just to bring her up to speed." Tony had a look on his face, and Gibbs slapped the back of his head. "And you, DiNozzo, will be with McGee to set up surveillance on her house, and the two of you will take turns staking it out. Got it?"

"Got it, Boss." Tony mumbled.

"Good, now everyone go home and rest up. Tomorrow, we get back to the investigation." He said and turned and walked into the elevator.

A week later, Aza's cast and stitches were removed, and although her arm was stiff, she had no problem moving it, so physical therapy was avoided. She had been given a permanent visitors pass, so she didn't have to go through all the hassle of getting a pass. Parking her car, she made her way into the building. She would be meeting Ziva in the bullpen, and then they would make their way to the gym.

Stepping out of the elevator, she saw Ziva waiting for her. "Sorry, I'm late, the doctor wanted to do a million tests on my arm."

"Ah, it's ok. But try not to apologize again, if you're going to work with us." Ziva said, and Aza gave her a curious look. "It's one of Gibbs' rules… he had a bunch."

"Oh, I've heard Tony mention some of these rules." She smiled slyly. "His least favorite is number twelve, never date a co-worker."

Ziva's eyes widened. "Why would that be his least favorite? Is he interested in someone here at NCIS?"

Aza shrugged. "It's a possibility." And she left it at that knowing that her brother did indeed have some interest in someone at NCIS because she had heard him say her name in his sleep.

"Well, we had better start you're training or Gibbs will have my eye." Ziva said.

Aza gave her a confused look. "Isn't it Gibbs will have you 'ass' not eye?"

"Ah, yes, yes I believe it is. I have problems with English idioms."

Laughing, Aza followed Ziva to the gym. "It's fine. You were close enough."

"Yes, well, seeing as how you have fighting training, we will start with that just to see how much focus we really need on it." Ziva led her to the punching bags. "We'll start here and end with a little sparring."

"Sparring? You and me?" Aza asked her eyes wide.

Ziva laughed. "Don't worry, I won't go harder than you can handle." Aza gave her a thankful look and then the training began.

Two hours later, Aza and Ziva sat down tiredly. "Well, I know you'll have no trouble defending yourself without a weapon. Now, we'll need to see how you are with a gun." Ziva said handing her a gun.

Aza took it and looked at it warily. "Is it really necessary that I have one?"

"For us to be sure that you are fully prepared to protect yourself should the need arise, you need to know how to use the gun, and if need be, make the kill shot." Ziva looked at the younger girl who seemed to be having second thoughts. "Aza, can you do this? Does the idea of killing someone bother you?"

Lifting up the gun, she looked to Ziva. "It's not the idea of killing someone that bothers me, but what does is what if I like it."

"Like what?"

"Killing someone, what if I enjoy taking someone's life?" Aza asked unsurely.

Ziva turned face Aza completely. "I've have been killing people since I was younger than you are, and I have not gotten used to it yet. I have learned to detach myself, but I do not enjoy it." She then patted the other woman's shoulder awkwardly. "So, do you want to go ahead and give it a try, or should we just wait until tomorrow?"

"I think I can handle it, as long as I know I won't turn into some cold hearted killer." Aza joked and followed the other woman to the firing range.

Later that day, the two women re-entered the bullpen, laughing and joking. Tony looked up and was instantly worried about what one had told the other. Ziva knew things that he didn't really want Aza to know, and Aza knew tons of things that he didn't want Ziva to know. "What's so funny, Ze-vah?"

"Oh, nothing, Dumbledore." She called him teasingly.

Everyone attention was on Tony, who's eye had gotten wide. "Aza, why did you tell her that?"

"What? All I told her was that you said if you were to choose a Harry Potter character to be that it would be Dumbledore." Aza replied, smiling at her brother.

Tim and Gibbs both snorted into their coffee cups. Tony turned to glare at the two. "Hey, Dumbledore is a kick ass old man!"

This had them all rolling. Tony sat in his chair, and pouted slightly. The Aza smiled evilly. "He also said that if he were someone from Star Wars, then he would want to be Chewbacca."

Ziva laughed. "Oh, that fits you, hairy butt!"

Everyone snickered as Tony glared at Ziva. "You only tease me because you like it."

"Oh, really? And who would like that? It resembles a monkey."

Aza stepped in before it could go any farther. "Ok, ok, it seems that I have started something, so I guess I'll end it. Sorry, Tony for embarrassing you." She then covered her mouth. "Oops, I'm not supposed to say I'm sorry. It's one of those rules."

"Well, Ziva, seems like you did teach her all she needs to know about being on this team." Gibbs said with amusement in his voice. "So, how did she do, today?"

"Honestly, Gibbs, I think she could handle going undercover now. She's a very stronger fighter, and she had great aim with a gun." Ziva said praising her pupil.

"Good to hear it, because we have got to get this ball on the roll. Aza, Long jogs every morning, tomorrow, I want you to join him and initiate conversation. We'll start there, and then we'll move in farther." He looked her in the eyes. "Think you can handle that?"

"You got it, Boss." She replied with a grin, and they all shared a chuckle.