- Text Size +
**Chapter Twenty -- Give Me Strength**

**December 24, 2010 -- 0940 Hours**

Tony woke up slowly, feeling his girl attempting to pull herself from his grip. He released her and stretched his arms above his head, looking at the clock quickly before flopping himself back against the pillows.

"Abby? Everything okay?" He asked groggily, wiping a hand over his face and turning on his bedside lamp.

"Mmhmm. The baby's moving...can't get comfortable."

He rolled to face her, running one hand over her back and resting the other on her belly. She was due in less than 3 weeks and it seemed like their child had become more rambunctious than ever.

"Where does it hurt, sunshine?"

She groaned, leaning into his touch. "Everywhere. Lower back's the worst."

He started working his fingers over her back, massaging the muscles there gently. He smirked when the sound of her quiet moans reached his ears, knowing that she was getting some relief.

"Feeling better?"

"A little...ugh, help me up? I need to go to the bathroom."

The Italian nodded, pressing a kiss to her shoulder before helping her sit up. "How are you managing to go this much? You haven't even had anything to drink since last night!"

"You try having an eight pound weight sitting on your bladder and we'll see how often you go to the bathroom!" She said, her voice sharp. Sighing, she frowned. "I'm sorry, that was bitchy."

He nodded, then shrugged. "It's okay. I understand, baby." Moving up behind her, he wrapped his arms around her middle as she sat on the edge of the bed. "I still love you, even when you're being bitchy."

The Goth chuckled, elbowing him gently. "And I love you, even with your morning breath." Standing up, she headed into the bathroom, leaving him sitting on the bed.

"Is it really that bad?" Tony called, putting his hand up to his mouth and breathing out, cringing slightly at the smell. "Yeah...it is."

After he heard the toilet flush, he stood up and joined his girl in the bathroom to brush his teeth. "So, what do you wanna do today? I don't know how much is open, being Christmas eve and all, but..." He stopped, shrugging his shoulders at her. "Whatever you wanna do."

"I think we're going to do our usual traditions." She grinned at him in the mirror. "I think you'll like 'em."

"Oh yeah? I didn't know you had any Christmas traditions. Do any of them involve spending time in bed with your favorite Italian?"

Rolling her eyes, she pushed his shoulder gently. "Thought that was our special Christmas morning tradition...or did you forget already?"

"Oh, I don't think I'll ever forget. So...what are these traditions?"

"You'll see." She teased, pulling off the tshirt she was wearing and stepping into the shower.

He joined her and they showered quickly, despite his attempts to lengthen their shower. He pouted jokingly when she stepped out, swatting his hands away as he tried to pull her back in.

She stepped over to the counter and started brushing her teeth, rolling her eyes when her lover stood behind her again. "Tony!" She exclaimed, feeling his fingers ghosting over the back of her thigh.

"What?" He asked innocently, holding his other hand up. "You don't like my hands on you?"

"Of course I do. I love your hands on me." She leaned up and pressed a kiss to his lips. "And later tonight, you can touch me. Wherever. You. Want."

"Well...I...uh...you promise? I mean...really?"

"Have I ever lied about wanting your hands on me?" She asked, touching the tip of his nose. She turned and headed into the bedroom to get dressed. "But we have things to do first, so you should get ready."

He composed himself and exited the bathroom, pulling out a clean tshirt and a pair of jeans. Pulling them on quickly, he turned to her and smiled. "Ta-da! Fast, huh?"

She grinned, pulling her shirt over her head. "See? You're capable of anything if you just put your mind to it."

They finished getting ready and headed downstairs, continuing to tease each other the whole way. Stepping off the bottom step, Tony held his hand out to his girl, smiling when she linked their fingers as they made their way into the kitchen.

Britty glanced up at the sound of footsteps against the tiled floor and she forced a smile before she dropped her gaze back to her coffee. "G'morning." She greeted quietly.

Though nearly three weeks had passed since her blow up at Tony, and he'd assured her that all was forgiven, she'd been reserved around him, her embarrassment over the situation still fresh in her mind.

"Good morning." Abby responded, pulling away from her lover as she made her way over to her sister-in-law. "I certainly hope you're ready to bake."

Tony didn't miss the way the redhead's eyes lit up, the slightest smile tugging on the corners of her mouth. "You really wanna do that this year?"

"Of course I do!" The Goth grinned. "Someone has to make my Mama's oatmeal scotchies. And the way these boys eat, we're gonna have to make a lot."

"What's this I hear about baking? Does this tradition involve goodies for me?" The Italian asked, stepping up behind his girl and placing his hands on her hips. "You know how much I like cookies and brownies and cakes and..."

"Yeah, we get it, T." She smirked, turning around and kissing him. She put her hands on his chest and pushed him away playfully. "Now go. I'm not baking with you hovering all day. Besides, you have to go with Jack and BB to get the tree."

The older man pouted, complete with sticking his bottom lip out and crossing his arms over his chest.

"Stop with the pouting. You go help the boys and maybe...maybe...when you guys get back you can have a cookie."

"Or two?"

"*A* cookie, DiNozzo." Abby chuckled, holding up the sign for the letter A for emphasis. She pecked him on the cheek and smacked his ass, sending him out of the kitchen. "Now, go. And don't pick a skimpy tree! We have lots of decorations, right B?"

She looked up from the refrigerator. "Yup. We..." She paused, trying to appraise her friend's state of mind before continuing. "We found a box of your Mama's old handmade ornaments a few years ago. We've been using them, but...you know, if..."

"No, no. She'd want us to use 'em. It'll be nice to see them again." The raven haired woman smiled, reassuring her friend.

The women smiled at each other when they heard the boys arguing about the height of the tree they were going to buy as they headed out the door. As soon as they were gone, Abby pulled one of the kitchen stools over and perched herself on it, resting a hand on her belly and examining her friend.

"Okay, they're gone. Spill."

Britty looked over at her, faking a smile. "There's nothing wrong. I'm just...it's fine."

Abby sighed. "Okay...if you say so. But if you wanna talk, I'm here."

"I know." She said, patting the younger woman's leg. "Now, let's get started. You know those boys are gonna be back soon wanting cookies."

The women started getting the ingredients together for their cookies, making sure they had enough to make at least five dozen cookies, knowing that some would need to last until the next day when Britty's brothers would come over for Christmas dinner. They worked quickly, both knowing the recipe by heart after growing up making them with Abby's mother. By the time that the boys came back with their Christmas tree, they already had a batch that was nearly ready to come out of the oven.

"Are those Mama's scotchies I smell?" Bradley called, walking in the front door with Tony and Jack in tow.

"Maybe." Abby grinned, meeting the boys at the door to the kitchen. "Ah, ah, ah. Kitchen's off limits until the tree is up and decorated. You know the rules, BB."

"I know the rules, but you're seeming to forget that this is my house."

"Oh, I haven't forgotten." Her eyes sparkled with playfulness and suddenly Tony realized that he had never seen her that happy at Christmas, despite her love for the holiday.

Bradley narrowed his eyes at her as if he was sizing her up. "You're pushing it, Abigail." He smirked, reaching around her and grabbing a handful of batter out of the bowl.

"Hey!"

"Ow! Watch it with the spoon!" He cried, jumping back when she smacked him with the wooden spoon she grabbed off the counter. He ducked away from her, pulling Jack away from the kitchen with him. "Reminds me more of Mama every day." He mumbled, heading into the living room.

She chuckled, turning back to the kitchen when Tony grabbed her gently and pulled her to him. "Hey you."

"Hey. You should be helping. If you don't do your share, you don't get any scotchies." She chided, wrapping her arms around her neck.

Leaning down, he pressed a kiss to her lips. "I'm going. I just have a question."

"If you're askin' for a cookie, the answer's no. They're too hot yet."

"Why don't you ever bake for me?" He pouted.

She rolled her eyes and returned his kiss, pulling away from him. "Because I know I'd never get an opportunity to bake 'em . You'd eat the batter raw first."

The Italian shrugged. "So? Batter's just as good as a cooked cookie."

"Get out!" She laughed, smacking him on the shoulder gently. "Go put up the tree. B and I'll be in to help with the ornaments in a while."

He nodded, leaving the kitchen with his shoulders hunched exaggeratedly. Rolling her eyes again, she turned back to Britty, who was pulling the cookies out of the oven and putting a fresh tray in. "It's like having three 12 year olds!"

"You're tellin' me." The redhead chuckled. "You know, Abs, I've missed this. You and me in the kitchen all day baking, kickin' the boys out...I'm gonna miss you when you go back to DC."

Abby frowned deeply, wishing that she could tell her sister-in-law that she didn't have to go. "I know, B. I know."

The Goth cursed loudly when the wooden spoon slipped from her hand. "I got it." She muttered, moving to a crouch, her hand gripping the counter. A loud gasp escaped her as she tried to stand, a sharp pain shot through her lower back.

"Abby? Are you okay?" Britty asked as she returned the bowl to the counter and hurried over to her.

"I..." She started, gasping at the continued throbbing in her back. "I'm okay. Just...need to sit."

"Sure, hon." She placed her hand on her friend's lower back, applying light pressure to relieve the pain as she stood up. "Here. Sit down, I'll get you some water."

"Thanks." Abby said, smiling weakly. "Well, upside is, there's only a few weeks left." She chuckled, cringing as the movement made her back spasm. "Wow. Can't even laugh."

"Heh. At least that's all you can't do. When I had Jack, I was flat on my back for the last month. Could hardly move."

"Yeah, I remember. I guess I am fortunate for that." Accepting the water that Britty offered, she took a sip as Tony rushed into the kitchen.

"Abby? You okay, baby? I heard you from the other room."

She nodded, shifting slightly on the chair. "I'm alright, just tweaked my back."

Tony walked over to her, resting his hand on her back. "Want me to give you a massage? We're just waiting to start decorating."

"I'll be okay." She smiled, resting her hand on her belly. "We have to finish this batch, then we'll be in."

"Promise?" He asked, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm worried about you. The tossing and turning last night, now this..."

"Baby. I promise, alright?"

The Italian looked over to the redheaded woman, silently asking her if she thought his girl was okay. She shrugged, a worried look on her face as well. "I'm sure everything's fine, Tony." She paused, opening the oven. "Cookies are done. Could you ask Bradley to pull out the boxes from the closet?"

"Sure thing, Britty." Tony said, pressing a kiss to his girl's forehead. "See you in a minute?"

Both women nodded and he left the room, going upstairs with Bradley to help him get the decorations down. When they came back downstairs, the girls were both in the living room, sitting on the couch and listening to Jack telling them about picking out the tree.

"Alrighty. Ladies first. Pick your box." Bradley said, setting his box on the coffee table next to Tony's.

"I want that one." Abby decided, pointing to the tattered box, next to her brother's hand. "Bring it on over here." She grinned.

"Lazy." The older man accused, offering his sister a playful smile as he lifted the box and carried it over to her.

"Pregnant." She corrected, cocking an eyebrow at him as she leaned over, ignoring the uncomfortable twinge in her back as she opened the flaps. "Oh, BB..." She whispered, pulling one of the ornaments out of the box.

He took a seat next to his sister and watched as she went through the handmade decorations, noticing the tears that pricked at her eyes as she ran her fingers over them. They went through about half of the box, sharing memories about their parents with everyone before she had to get up to use the restroom.

"I'll be right back." She said, whimpering as she pushed herself off the couch, shooting pain moving up her back.

"Abs?" Bradley and Tony asked at the same time, both moving toward her.

"I'm fine!" She snapped, brushing his hand away. "Yes, I'm nine months pregnant. Yes, my back hurts. No, I don't need everyone asking me if I'm okay everytime I move."

"Abby." Britty warned, eying her friend.

The younger woman frowned. "Please."

The older man sat back down, frowning up at her. "Alright, Abs. We're sorry."

They watched as she headed for the bathroom, looking at each other worriedly. While she was gone, they continued to sort through the ornaments until they heard her voice call out from the bathroom.

"Britty!"

The redhead stood up immediately, taking off for the bathroom. Tony attempted to stand and follow her, concerned about his lover, only to have Bradley stop him.

"Give 'em a minute, Tony. Britty knows what she's doing." He reassured the younger man, watching him carefully as he slumped back down on the couch, looking back toward the bathroom every so often.

"Dad? Is Auntie Abby okay?" Jack asked, looking between his father and uncle.

"Yeah. She'll be okay, buddy."

Tony fidgeted nervously as he waited for Britty to return and assure him that his girl was okay but after nearly a minute passed with no sign of the redhead, he pushed himself to his feet again. He made his way over to the bathroom, ignoring Bradley's growl of warning, though before he could reach for the doorknob, Britty stepped out, pulling the door closed behind her.

"What's going on?" He demanded, vaguely aware of Bradley stepping up behind him.

They could see the concern in Britty's eyes as she pulled them away from the bathroom, worrying her lower lip nervously between her teeth. "She needs to go to the hospital."

"What's wrong?" Tony asked, his heart sinking in his chest. "Is she okay?"

"She's fine right now, Tony, but she's bleeding a little. It's probably nothing, but she needs to be checked out."

"Well! What are we waiting for?" He said, allowing his worry to get the best of him.

Bradley rested a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "Tony, you're gonna have to calm down. Like I said, B knows what she's doing."

"I'm gonna go call her doctor and let her know what's going on. I need you to sit with her, Tony, help her calm down."

"Okay." He nodded, entering the bathroom and closing the door behind him.

"B."

Britty cleared her throat and turned to face her husband. "Yeah?"

He studied her for a moment before stepping forward and wrapping his arms around her. "What aren't you tellin' me?"

"Nothing. She'll be fine once we get her to the hospital. She'll be fine."

"B, you havin' a bad feeling about this?"

She pulled away from him and walked into the kitchen. Pulling out the phonebook, she picked up the phone and started to dial the number for Abby's ob/gyn. "I know she'll be okay, Bradley. It's just...she's scared. And I don't like seeing her that way." Holding up a finger, she turned away and spoke quickly into the phone. "Hi, I need to speak with Dr. Roberts please. It's Brittany Sciuto calling for..."

Bradley sighed and turned to leave the kitchen. "C'mon, Jack. Let's get these boxes out of the way."

"What's goin' on, Dad?"

"Your Mama and Uncle Tony are gonna take Auntie to the hospital." He explained, sitting down next to the boy. He looked up a second later when his wife re-entered the room. "What did her doctor say?"

"She's gonna meet us at the hospital. You guys coming, or are you gonna stay here?"

He stood up and wrapped her in another hug. "We'll pick this stuff up then we'll be along. Probably best to take Jack separate, don't want him spending all night in the hospital."

"Dad, I'm not a little kid anymore. I wanna..."

"It's not a discussion, Jack. You're not stayin' at the hospital all night."

All three of them turned when they heard the bathroom door open to reveal Abby leaning heavily on the Italian as they exited, tears still streaming down her cheeks as he tried to calm her.

The redhead pulled away from her husband and leaned up to kiss him. "We gotta get going. I'll see you when you get there." Pressing a kiss to her son's head, she walked over to the door and grabbed their jackets off the hooks before heading outside with them.

Sliding into the driver's seat of her Expedition, Britty slipped the key into the ignition as Tony helped the Goth into the back seat and climbed in beside her.

"Everything's gonna be okay, baby." He promised, reaching for her hand as he squeezed reassuringly. "You're gonna be okay."

The ride to the hospital didn't take long, though privately Tony wished that Britty had taken a more Gibbs-like approach to her driving. When she finally pulled up out front, he climbed out of the car, holding his hand out to help Abby.

"You get her inside. I'll be in as soon as I park the car." Britty ordered, frowning at the quiet sobs escaping her friend.

Closing her eyes for a moment to keep her emotions in check, Britty waited until Abby and Tony were safely inside the hospital before she shifted the car into drive and circled the parking lot, searching for a parking space.

Pulling into the first available spot she found, she switched the car off and grabbed her bag from the passenger seat and hurried inside, swallowing the lump that had formed in her throat.

She found Tony sitting in the uncomfortable plastic chair in the emergency waiting room, his hand trembling as he sat hunched over, a pen poised over the plastic clipboard in front of him.

He glanced up at the sound of footsteps against the tiled floor, his green eyes apprehensive as he looked at the redhead.

"Where's Abby?" She asked, her voice echoing in the empty room.

"Took her back." He responded, his voice wavering slightly as he glanced back down at the form in his lap, racking his brain for the answers. The pen shook in his hand as he lowered it to the paper, his already illegible handwriting seeming to grow worse with every letter until he stopped, glancing up at her. "I don't...I can't...I don't even know her fucking blood type."

Sinking down in the chair beside him, she took the clipboard from his hand gently. "Go. I'll finish filling this out, okay? Go back there and be with her."

"I can't." He managed. "I can't...maybe you should go...she...it won't be good for her to see me like this."

"Then take a minute and get yourself together. She needs you. You're gonna be what gets her through this."

He nodded, watching as the younger woman filled out the paperwork. "I should know that stuff. God...this hasn't even started and I already suck at it."

Britty frowned, glancing over at him to see his head resting in his hands. "Tony...she's not with you because of your paperwork proficiency. In fact, if everything she's told me about you is true, your paperwork abilities are pretty low on the list of things you're good at."

"Yeah..." He chuckled lightly, wiping at his nose.

"Go on, T. Go be with her." She prodded, jerking her head toward the door. "I'll take care of all this. Just go do your part."

The Italian pushed himself up from the chair and walked slowly to the swinging doors. He made his way through the halls, stopping at the nurse's station to ask where his girl was. The head nurse pointed him in the right direction, and he walked into the small curtained area to see Abby sobbing quietly.

"Baby, hey. I'm here...I'm here."

She reached for him, burying her face in his chest when he sat on the edge of her bed. "T...Tony."

The sound of her strangled voice made his chest tighten, knowing that there wasn't anything he could do for her. He looked down at her and smoothed her hair back, touching her cheek gently. "Everything's alright, Abs. The baby will be just fine."

"He's right, Abby. Your doctor's on her way, and they're running the blood tests right now." Britty said, putting on a brave face for her friend. She knew from talking to the nurse outside the curtain that her friend was still bleeding, as well as having contractions.

"Hello Abby." Dr. Roberts said, smiling at her patient as she stepped behind the curtain, looking over the chart. "Light bleeding and some mild contractions?"

Both the Goth and Britty nodded, looking up at the doctor. "Is...is the baby..."

The older woman patted her leg gently. "Your baby should be just fine. Your water hasn't broken yet, so we're going to try to stop your labor."

"Okay." Abby managed, swallowing hard. The doctor left the small area and Britty followed her, presumably to ask some questions on behalf o f the frightened younger woman. Tony tried to offer his girl a reassuring smile, pulling a chair up next to her bed. Taking her hand in his once again, he squeezed it gently, settling in for what he was sure would be a long night.
Chapter End Notes:
"Give Me Strength" by Snow Patrol