- Text Size +
**Chapter Seven -- Call Me When You're Sober**

**June 25, 2010 -- Tony's Apartment**

A quiet sigh escaped McGee as he stepped off the elevator and made his way down the hallway towards his partner's door. Though he'd never freely admit it to anyone, he was concerned about Tony.

It had been a week since Abby left, and Tony was slowly self destructing. He'd come to work every day completely hungover and honestly, McGee was expecting Gibbs to fire him any day now.

Running a hand over his face, he raised his hand and knocked loudly, rolling his eyes when he heard Tony groan from inside.

"Go 'way," the Italian ordered.

"Open the door, Tony."

"We don' wan' any."

"Fine. I'll just take this pizza home and share it with Jethro."

He heard the older man groan again, followed by the slapping of bare feet against the wooden floor. The door opened and Tony glared at him.

"You don' have any pizza."

McGee put his hand up to stop the door from closing. "Drinking again, I see. You gotta be close to running out of liquor, huh?"

Tony walked away from the door, taking another drink from the bottle in his hand. "There's a store on the corner."

"Is this really helping you?" The younger man asked, leaning against the kitchen counter.

"Maybe. What's it to ya, Probie?"

He sighed heavily, watching as the Italian flopped onto the couch. "You're only gonna dig yourself deeper with Gibbs if you keep this up."

"Think I care? I mean...'s prolly time for me to go anyway. 'S been 9 years."

McGee rolled his eyes as he walked over to the recliner and sank down, eying Tony warily. "So you've progressed to feeling sorry for yourself then?"

"If ya haven't noticed, 'm alone. Ever been dumped, McLoverBoy?"

"Tony..."

He held his hand up, taking another long drink of the amber liquid. ""Cause I don' suggest it. It sucks."

"Not so easy being on the receiving end for once, huh?" McGee said, watching his friend as he finished the bottle.

"I've been dumped. Plenty o' times. 'S different." He dropped the bottle to the ground, pushing himself up and stumbling to the liquor cabinet.

The junior agent moved quickly, blocking his path and looking into his bloodshot eyes. "Why? Because you love her? You're the one who let her walk away without a fight."

"Hey!" Tony growled, pointing his finger into the younger man's chest. "'M tryin'. She won' answer my calls."

"Well, maybe if you wouldn't call her and leave drunken messages on her phone, she'd call you back, Tony."

The Italian rolled his eyes, turning and walking back to the couch.

"I talked to her the other day." McGee blurted, watching as he stopped in his tracks. "Tried to talk her into coming back."

"What'd she say?" He asked quietly, not turning around.

"She...said she needed some time. You want me to tell her that you wanna talk to her?"

"No. I don't need your help, McGee." He said bitterly. "She made her choice. She wants to be stupid about this thing, then let her."

"Wow. No wonder she left." McGee spat, walking toward the couch. "You treat her this way too?"

Tony didn't even process the entirety of the sentence before he felt his body turning and his closed fist meeting with McGee's jaw.

"Sonofabitch!" The younger man shouted, attempting to block his next blow but failing as another hit landed just above the last.

He ducked the next punch and ran forward, tackling the slightly taller man to the ground, accidentally dropping him onto his coffee table. He got up quickly when he heard the sickening crack of Tony's head against the solid wood of the table, concerned that he had hurt his friend more than he had intended to.

"Shit. You can't even go a week without getting yourself hurt, can you?" He mumbled, pulling his phone out of his pocket and calling Ducky. "Hey, Ducky, it's McGee. I'm over at Tony's and I need you to stop by if you can..."

**45 Minutes Later**

McGee opened the door when Ducky knocked on it, letting the ME into the dark apartment.

"What happened, Timothy? You didn't say much when you called."

He hesitated, leading the older man over to where Tony was laying on the ground. "He's drunk, we were talking about Abby, I said some things I shouldn't have, and we fought. He hit me a couple times...so I tackled him. I'm afraid he might be really hurt, Ducky."

The ME knelt down next to the prone man, pulling out a small flashlight and prying his eyes open. "He looks to have a mild concussion, but other than that he should be fine." He tilted Tony's head to the side, looking for any blood. "No head wound. I think he should wake up shortly. I would suggest staying the night, Timothy, and having some aspirin and water ready when he wakes up."

McGee nodded, looking down at his friend guiltily. "Thanks for coming by, Ducky. I really appreciate it."

"It's not a problem. If he's not awake in an hour, wake him up. Make him drink some water and put him to bed. Then wake him every two hours until he starts waking on his own."

"Got it, Ducky. Thanks again."

He followed the doctor to the door and let him out, returning to the couch a moment later and sinking down onto it, looking over his friend carefully.

"What am I gonna tell Gibbs?"

**0530 Hours -- Bradley's House**

*Beep Beep Beep*

The Goth rolled over in her bed and grabbed the cell phone off the bedside table, checking the small screen as best she could in the dark.

She almost deleted the message left by Tony out of habit when she suddenly felt an overwhelming urge to hear her lover's voice. She had missed him over the past few days but she wasn't sure that she could handle going back to DC and facing the questions everyone would have. Not to mention Tony.

She hesitantly pressed play on the small device and held it to her ear, listening to his slurred voice as he spoke.

"Hey." There was a slight pause, and she heard him clear his throat before speaking again. "I've called plenty of times and left messages for you, telling you how much I miss you, so I'm sure you know all that. So…" He stopped again, and she could hear the rawness of his voice, even over the phone. "I can't do this anymore. You want a scapegoat, Abby? Someone you can blame for our failed attempt at a relationship? Then congratulations. I couldn't make you happy, but this is one thing I can do for you. Goodbye."

She could feel the dampness on her cheeks as the dialtone droned in her ear. Snapping the phone shut, she put it back on the nightstand and sighed sadly.

Dropping her head into her hands, she took a deep breath. "This is what you wanted." She reminded herself quietly. "What did you expect?"

Pushing herself from the bed, she took a deep breath, ignoring the ache in her chest. "You can't keep hiding. This is what you wanted." She said again. "So deal with it."

**An Hour Later**

Britty woke up to the smell of bacon and pancakes coming from the kitchen and rolled over, expecting to see her husband out of bed. Instead she found him lying next to her on his stomach, snoring heavily as he slept.

She sighed and climbed out of the bed, curious as to who was cooking in their kitchen. Walking down the stairs quietly, she was shocked to see Abby up and moving around the large room, cookng breakfast. Jack was sitting at the counter eating and they were having an exuberant conversation, mixing speech and signing.

"Hey Mama." Jack said, setting his plate in the sink.

"Mornin' baby." She said, tousling his hair and leaning on the counter next to Abby. "J, go on and get ready for school."

The young man nodded and took off up the stairs, leaving the friends alone in the kitchen.

"It's good to see you up and around." The redhead noted. It had been 3 days since she had shown up at their house in the middle of the night, and short of getting up to take a shower, she hadn't gotten out of bed for much else.

Abby took the pancakes and bacon off the stove and put them onto plates. "Yeah, well...I can't hide in bed forever. I mean..." She shrugged, carrying the plates over to the table. "Thanks for everything, Britty."

"It's not a problem, hon. That's what families are for." She said, starting up the coffee pot.

"I really appreciate it, though. I...needed to get away for awhile, and I didn't know where else to go."

"Well, I'm glad you came here." She placed her hand on the raven-haired woman's shoulder, smiling at her. "You know, I'm here if you wanna talk about anything, right?"

"I know." Abby's smile turned quickly when the smell of freshly brewed coffee started to fill the kitchen. "Oh, Jesus, B. When did you start making your coffee so strong?" She asked, stepping into the dining room to get away from the strong scent.

Britty followed her into the adjoining room, frowning at the sick look on her friend's face. "What are you talking about? This is the same coffee I've been drinking since we were in high school. I haven't ever made it differently."

"Ugh, sorry." She apologized, sitting down. "I don't know why it's bothering me so much."

"Mmm...coffee." Bradley said, stepping into the kitchen and pouring himself a cup. "Hey B." He said, kissing his wife quickly before turning to his sister. "Abby...you've come out of the cave!" He teased.

Abby chuckled. "Yeah. Thought I'd make you guys some breakfast."

Bradley wrapped his arm around her, pulling her close to him. "I'm glad you're feeling better, baby girl."

She pulled away from him, clutching her stomach lightly as she fought against getting sick.

Bradley glanced at his wife briefly before he turned back to his Goth, cocking an eyebrow at her. "What's the matter with you? You getting sick on me?"

"I'm fine," she managed, swallowing hard to keep the nausea at bay. "Just... I'll be okay once I eat," she lied, forcing a smile for her brother and friend. "So... Who wants pancakes?"

Hurrying back into the kitchen in an attempt to avoid her brother's curious stare, it was all Abby could do to keep from heaving as the strong smell of coffee invaded her nose again. "There's no way I would have lasted around Gibbs," she muttered.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Britty asked, smirking when she saw her friend jump.

"Jeez! Don't sneak up on me like that!" Abby scolded, glaring slightly at the redhead.

"Sorry. I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I've never seen someone actually turn green before but you're pretty close right now."

"I'm fine... Or I will be," Abby replied firmly. "I promise. Now quit worrying and help me take this stuff into the dining room."

Eying Abby once more, Britty nodded and deposited her coffee on the counter before she grabbed a plate.

Something was off with her friend, she decided. She wasn't sure what it was, but something wasn't right. She'd let it rest for now, she decided, but it not for long.

**Later That Afternoon**

Climbing the stairs slowly, a basket of clean laundry in hand, Britty paused outside of Abby's room, listening for sounds of movement inside. Balancing the basket on her hip, she pushed the door open slowly, frowning as she realized Abby wasn't inside. "Abby?" she called.

The sound of retching reached her ears almost immediately. Dropping the basket beside the door, the redhead crossed the room quickly, pausing outside the attached bathroom. "Abby!" She called again.

She heard the Goth moan quietly and without thinking, she pushed the door open.

Abby was hunched over the toilet, her hands gripping the seat as she emptied her stomach.

"Oh God," she moaned. "Kill me now. Please."

Dropping to her knees beside the woman, Britty touched her forehead gently. "You don't feel warm, but I think we should probably get you to the doctor anyway. There's a nasty virus goin' around town."

"I..." Abby hesitated, leaning back on her heels. "B, I don't need a doctor, I'm not sick."

The redhead studied her for a moment, her eyes going wide when she realized what was wrong with her friend. "Oh my God. You're pregnant!"

She dropped her gaze to the ground, unable to make eye contact with her sister-in-law. "Y...you can't tell Bradley. He'll kill me."

Britty scoffed. "You think I'm stupid? I've been married to the man for almost 18 years. *You're* telling him. I'm not getting in the middle of that." She offered her a supportive smile and leaned forward, wrapping her in a hug. "Now, have you been to a doctor?"

"No, not yet. I...just found out a couple weeks ago."

"You know I have to ask. What did Tony say? I'm right to assume it's his, yes?"

It was all Abby could do to hide the hurt in her eyes as she pushed herself up, shaking off Britty's attempt to help.

"Jesus, Britt. Of course it's Tony's. What the hell?"

"Well, what did he say?" She narrowed her eyes as Abby dropped her gaze to the floor. "Abigail! You didn't TELL him?!"

"You don't know Tony like I do, okay? He hates kids!"

"I'm sure he doesn't *hate* kids, Abigail. I can't believe you didn't tell him! Is this the reason you came here? So you wouldn't have to?"

The Goth sank onto her mattress and dropped her eyes to the floor again. "You know I don't like being called Abigail." She said quietly, her hands fidgeting nervously in her lap.

Britty crossed her arms over her chest. "You can't hide from this, Abby. You don't think he's gonna be angry when he comes to win you back and he sees that you're pregnant?"

*What makes you think he will?* She signed, unable to form the words. Her throat was tight and her chest was starting to ache with the realization that what Britty had said was what she had known all along. She should have told him about the baby.

The redhead sat next to her on the bed, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "He loves you, Abby. He always has. That's not something that just goes away. True love...it's forever, no matter what happens."

"B! We're home!"

Abby stood up quickly and headed back into the bathroom at the sound of her brother's voice, not wanting him to see her upset. Shaking her head sadly, Britty got up and reclaimed the laundry basket, heading across the hall into her son's bedroom.

She heard her husband's heavy footsteps on the stairs and smiled when he came up behind her and pressed a kiss to her neck. "Hey sexy."

"Hey back." She replied, turning in his arms and kissing him. "How was work today?"

"You know...work." He smirked, pulling back and noticing the slight tensing of his wife's shoulders. "What's the matter, baby?"

She shook her head, smiling up at him before turning back to finish putting away Jack's clean clothes. "I'm fine. Just...still have to go to the grocery today. Forgot you were coming home early."

"Well, why don't you go ahead, Jack and I'll get dinner going. I wanted to barbecue those steaks tonight anyway."

"Mm..." She leaned up, kissing him again. "Sounds good. I'll see if Abby wants to go with me."

Turning back toward the hallway, she knocked on Abby's door before opening it and stepping inside, making sure Bradley was headed downstairs before she continued into the bathroom. She saw her friend reapplying her makeup, a bright smile on her face.

"I see you got the mask from Tony when you left." The redhead leaned against the doorframe, watching her through the mirror.

She capped her lipstick and turned to face her friend, a slight frown on her face. "Think that's funny?"

"No, Abby, I don't. Who do you think you're gonna fool? Two of the people who know you best in this world? I don't think so. If I can see through that..." Britty said, gesturing to her forced smile. "You can bet that B is gonna see through it."

"Bradley only sees what I let him see. It's always been that way."

"He sees more than you think, girly. But you go ahead and believe what you want. I'm going to the grocery. Wanna come? Get out of the house for a bit while the boys make dinner?"

She didn't really want to leave, but she knew that if she stayed, Bradley would try to talk to her. Britty was right, he would be able to see right through her. He would figure out what was wrong immediately, and that wasn't something she wanted to deal with at the moment. Tossing her cell phone onto the bed, she slipped her boots on and smiled at her friend.

"Sure. Let's go."

**2100 Hours -- Abby's Bedroom**

Abby made her way back upstairs after dinner, declining her brother's offer to watch a movie with the three of them. She opened the bedroom door and immediately walked into the bathroom, washing away the makeup that had successfully prevented her brother from asking too many questions. As long as she looked like her old self, she hoped he wouldn't pressure her for more answers as to why she was there and not back in DC.

*Beep Beep Beep*

She sighed heavily, not sure that she wanted to hear another voicemail from Tony. Checking the small screen, she saw that the missed call was from McGee, and she decided to listen to it.

"Abby, it's Tim. I just wanted to call and apologize for Tony. He told me that he called this morning and said some things he didn't mean. I...he didn't mean them, Abs. He wasn't being himself. Please call me back. I...I think we need to talk."

She deleted the message and stared at the phone for a moment, deciding whether or not she really wanted to hear McGee's explanation of Tony's actions. She decided that he wouldn't have called if it wasn't important, so she dialed the number to her friend's cell phone, hoping that he would answer. She didn't think she could handle having to play phone tag with him.

She flopped back on the bed with a groan as the phone rang and she was just about to hang up when she heard his voice.

"I was wondering if you were actually gonna call me back." McGee said. She heard a hardness in his voice that hadn't been there before. She frowned slightly as she pushed herself up.

"Of course I would call back. Why did you think I wouldn't?"

"You don't return anyone else's calls."

"Timmy..." She sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Please don't start this. I'm not ready to talk to him."

"Are you ever gonna be ready?"

"I don't...I don't know."

"I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, Abby, but I'm getting tired of it. He's in a bad way."

"H...how is he? What's the matter with him?"

"What the hell do you think is wrong, Abby?! He's ready to throw all this away. All of it."

She couldn't stop the tears that were flowing down her cheeks at the sound of her friend's harsh tone.

"I...I'm sorry. I never wanted to hurt him. Or you."

McGee scoffed loudly. "Really? Do you know how completely insufferable he's been?"

"I..."

"You left. You took off and left him holding the bag. Everyone blames him for you leaving. You claim that you didn't wanna hurt him, but you're letting him fall apart!"

He ran a hand through his hair and looked toward the bedroom where Tony was sleeping. "And you know what's worse than that? He had to find out that you're pregnant from Ziva. Ziva! You didn't even tell him!"

"I couldn't!" She cried. "He...doesn't want a baby. It wasn't supposed to be this way, Timmy! We were supposed to be happy!"

"Abby." McGee sighed, exasperated with the Goth. "Look. He's breaking, and its gonna cost him more than just you leaving. I can't deal with this anymore. I can't babysit him anymore. I'm done."

"Timmy..." She tried, though it was no use. He'd disconnected the call.

Throwing the phone across the room, she flopped back against the mattress, tears streaming down her cheeks. She stared up at the ceiling and sobbed, knowing that she had screwed up the best thing that had ever happened to her.

"Congratulations, Abby. You've really fucked it up this time." She whispered, resting her hand over the slight bump under her shirt. "No turning back now."
Chapter End Notes:
"Call Me When You're Sober" by Evanescence