- Text Size +
"Trent Kort gave you my home address?" Gibbs asked, I nodded as he sighed. He ran a hand over his face and through his hair. "That man owes me."

I just shrugged, sensing the new tension in the room, obviously something had happened between him and Kort. "Don't like Trent?"

"Don't trust him. You can't really like or know somebody if you don't trust them. I suppose you at least trust him, enough to follow his orders?" Gibbs said more in a statement than a question.

"Yeah. He saved my life Mr. Gibbs, and I know people do that for selfish reasons, but still I wouldn't be here without him. He's been keeping me safe. He hardly comes to visit in case he is followed. But he's all I got." I said solemnly.

"I don't trust Trent Kort and neither should you. He cares more about money then he does about people." Gibbs said.

"Maybe but my trust is already there and I can't just take it back." I said, Gibbs nodded.

"I'm here too, you know. You have my home address, if you ever need anything I'm usually in my basement." He said gently patting my knees, I smiled.

"Thank you." The rest of the early morning was spent working on the boat, I tried to focus on something other than Kort but no matter how hard I tried he was the only thing I could think of. I smiled as I remembered the first time I met him. I wanted to talk to him so badly, I ached physically and mentally to talk to him, to share this story with him; but I couldn't. And it wasn't safe to leave a voice message, my only choice of sharing this story was with this NCIS agent I just met. I chewed on my lip, fear raising in my gut making me feel nauseas. The idea of someone else finding out about my dark past that I rather forget made me feel sick. I didn't know how he'd react to such news, Kort never once gave me pity but his guards did. I punched one of them for patronizing me. I looked up at Gibbs again, watching silently as he put his whole body into sanding the boats rib cage. I smiled as I thought of what could drive someone to build a boat in their basement. The way he was putting such patient love into it told me that it wasn't a hobby, nor a job, more of a love and a duty, in honor of something.

I ran a hand along the rib nearest me and bit my lip. Did I really want this man to know? Would he think any less of me if he did? Would he try to hurt me like those men did? I looked at him again, and opened my mouth, "I was walking to kindergarten one day, I was five and it was spring. I usually walked with my parents but I wanted to meet up with my friend April and didn't want my Mom to embarrass me."

I noticed he hadn't stopped sanding but was listening intently, capturing every word, I appreciated it immensely. No pressure. "So I was a street away from her house when I noticed a man with a tuxedo on behind me. He looked like my Dad when he went to work, he was a lawyer. I also remembered seeing him two blocks before. I thought he was walking to the school, maybe for a parent teacher conference. I waited till he caught up then asked if he was going to school as well, he simply nodded and I asked if he wanted to walk with me. He nodded again and I took his hand. He wanted to go a different way to my school, one I didn't know, but I went anyways. Stupidly. My Father always told me to be careful of any sort of people, strangers or not but nothing had happened before so I thought I'd be ok."

He frowned, we both knew where this was going.

"He took me to his van, he opened it and three men grabbed me, while the one in the tuxedo drove. I never saw my family again. It was only years later that I found out my own father had told them where to find me, they offered him money, 3.5 million dollars for me. He accepted." My voice cracked as the painful memory rushed back. My own father had sold me. Gibbs looked up at me then, my eyes moist and my hand clenched around the wood as I stared unseeingly at his feet.

"My own father sold me. I can't even tell you….I felt so worthless, I kept asking myself if I was that unlovable that money was worth more than me. I don't know what I did wrong, if I was that bad….." I said more tears starting to fall. I swallowed.

"Well these men they weren't just kidnappers. They were….business men. They were like pimps. They led a Sex Slavery Ring. And I…..they….they offered services to anyone with a fetish, some liked children, other teens, other adults……woman and men alike came and would….use us…." I choked out leaning against the walls, I noticed Gibbs had set his sander down and was staring at me with X-ray eyes. Tears poured down my face, I raced over to the garbage and threw up, the memories of hands on me coming back, people whispering, passing me around. I wretched again and suddenly jerked when a hand fell on my back.

"NO!" I screamed, "TRENT! TRENT!" suddenly arms locked around me and I fought them, kicking, hitting and screaming, sobs tearing from me as I screamed for Kort.

"No don't….please….he'll kill you……don't…" I moaned, it took me ten minutes to realize all he was doing was holding me, I sobbed harder, my body wracking and shaking with the force of the sobs. Guilt settling in my chest as well as disgust at my weakness. I turned around to face him and muttered, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean…..I don't mean to be bad." I hadn't meant to let the last part slip but it was out there and I couldn't take it back. I let him pull me back into an embrace, his one hand on the back of my head, holding me as I sobbed into his shoulder, the other around my shoulders as I slumped against him, seeking comfort.

"It is not your fault child." He whispered gruffly into my ear, an undertone of anger in his voice, but I knew it wasn't directed at me, but at my father and the people who had harmed me. I fell silent, all cried out, after a while we slid down the wall, his arm over my shoulder as I rested my head against his shoulder.

"Those men were some of the leaders of the ring. Trent was under cover as CIA trying to break it up and return the children and free the adults. He was compromised though halfway through, he was able to free the adults and the teens, most of them got out, but he could only carry two children and told the rest to follow him. Four of us escaped, he carried me out. I stayed with him for a month before he had a different mission, and then he sent two other agents to protect me. I was with those evil men from when I was five years old until I was ten and Kort rescued me." I explained. I yawned suddenly tired.

Mumbling, I managed to say, "I know he doesn't come off as fatherly or even caring, but when I was living with him, he gave me my own bedroom, and bought me presents for my birthday. When I had nightmares he'd get up and comfort me until I fell back to sleep, he even took me up on the roof of his safe house to look at the stars and planets through a telescope. He always had stories to tell me. When I got older and I lived with a foster family he'd come to visit and tell me about his missions--well as much as he could anyways, and we'd joke around about them. Create different ways to kill the bad guys."

I smiled as I remembered all the good times, "Even if it's not saying much, He's the only family I have." I whispered before falling asleep.

The Next Morning.

My eyes cracked open, a pounding headache beating a rhythm against my skull, my eyes burned as the white light of mid day sunshine hit them. I sat up rubbing my eyes, trying to get them adjusted to the light, wondering where I was. I looked around the room which was a dark orange and had a forest scene on the ceiling, I laid on a small bed, the comforter and sheets matched the ceiling while the pillows and other linens matched the walls. The carpet was a dirt color, and was smooth and soft. The bed itself was mahogany, along with the bedside table, rocking chair, dresser and little desk. Dolls sat under a window, that was curtained by an elegant green sheet. There was a little kitchen and table and chairs. Along the wall on the other side was a closet and a chest full of dress up clothes, a bookshelf full of Clifford books and a bunch of fake flowers. I smiled, Gibbs must have a daughter. I walked over to the dresser and picked up a photo of a beautiful red-haired woman standing next to Gibbs on a boat, a little Auburn haired girl between them. They were fishing and the little girl had caught the first fish.

As I left the room I noticed my shoes were missing from my feet, I smiled again, thinking about Gibbs tucking me in and taking my shoes off so I could sleep comfortably. Stepping out onto the cold hardwood floor I walked down the stairs, looking for any sign of Gibbs, as I took in his home. It was a two story house, very old looking, but very well built. The living room was the first thing you stepped into, it was a dark brown color, contrasted with tan and white furniture. A pathway was open to the kitchen which was white with silver appliances and tan furniture. The garbage was overflowing with take out Chinese food, the stove and dishwasher hardly ever used. That led to a hall way where some armchairs were and pictures, some books, a mini library and the staircase, which led up to the bedrooms. The basement door was off the kitchen, opening it I called down, but no one answered. Looking at the microwave I realized he was at work and had let me sleep in. I walked over to the fridge, noticing a piece of paper on it, he had left me numbers to call if I needed anything. And asked me to call him once I was ready to come over, he even made me breakfast.

Meanwhile……..

"McGee gets Kort GPS location! I want to know if he's in D.C. or in the country at all!" Gibbs called as he swooped into the bullpen. McGee looked confused but did as he was told, Dinozzo looked up curious.

"Why are we tracking the CIA's garbage? Did he go rogue?" Dinozzo called out.

"No, I want to know where he is! McGee!" Gibbs said loudly.

"He's in the metro area!" McGee said quickly.

"Good." As his team watched him, he picked up the phone and dialed Kort's number.

"What is NCIS calling me for now?" Kort said in a mock exasperated tone.

"Meet me in the evidence garage in twenty." was all Gibbs said

"Are you going to tell me what for?" Kort said sharply.

"No. Come, make sure you aren't followed." Gibbs said hanging up, looking up, the others scrambled to pretend they didn't hear anything. Dinozzo didn't bother he just stood up and shouted, "Why are we meeting with that piece of shi--"

"Sit Dinozzo, this is not any of your concern." Gibbs said as he left for the evidence garage, He stood against the wall next to the elevator waiting for Kort to show up, minutes later a kick at the gates and the deep nasally voice notified Gibbs of his arrival. Lifting the gate Kort stepped inside and Gibbs silently led him to the elevator, halfway up he turned it off and turned to Kort.

"Adesa Adelle Charus." Gibbs said silently, Kort looked over.

"What about her?" Kort asked shortly, looking bored and uninterested.

"She came to me last night. Tried calling you three times." Gibbs said looking to see Kort's reaction but there was none.

"Did she now? I received no calls." He shrugged.

"She also told me a very interesting story about how you saved her." Gibbs said pressing on.

"Yes well I did have a job to do Jethro, and I wasn't going to throw it away because some brat wanted to stay there and be abused." He said sarcastically.

"I meant the month she lived with you." Gibbs said smirking.

"All part of the plan." Kort said Gibbs looked at him sharply.

"Plan? What Kort you sell her out to the ring leaders for a certain amount of money? Money always was your main motivation, your one love." Gibbs said viciously.

"Don't talk to me about motivation Gibbs. My business is none of yours." He said testily.

"It is when you tell her to come running to me for protection. You expect me to protect her with my life so you can collect the prize when I'm dead and they have her? Gotta another thing coming." Gibbs said.

"Look, I do not like saying such things because not only does it compromise me but it also puts others in danger, but my motives in Adesa's life are strictly pure. And that's that. Nothing more, nothing less. Do not repeat it, or my next bomb will be under your car. Not Dinozzo's." Kort seethed.

"That's the most I've heard you say at once since I met you Kort. Must be serious." Gibbs said accusingly.

"You weren't there Gibbs. You didn't see the atrocities they were commiting and on children no less. I may be a cold-hearted gold-digger out for my own good, but I couldn't even condone that." He said in his usual manner.

"Didn't know you had standards Trent." Gibbs said smiling.

"Surprisingly I have very high Standards, that I don't always follow." He said loftily.

"Are you benefiting from this ordeal with Adesa?" Gibbs asked, suddenly understanding what Kort was getting at.

"More trust from her." Kort said simply as if it explained everything

"And why would you want that?" He asked as if he didn't really care.

"She's my bait." Kort answered smirking.

"Pure motives. Do you even know what the word pure means? Kort you are a lying, manipulative, deceiving, subterfuging bastard." Gibbs said matter-of-factly.

"Yes I know. That's why I am so good at what I do." He answered smoothly.

Gibbs swiftly took Kort by the collar of his leather jacket and slammed him against the elevators wall, nose to nose with Kort, he glared into his eyes. "Do you even care about that girl? Care about her safety, her well-being? Her happiness?! Do you?!" Gibbs said shaking him. Kort wisely remained silent, a look of disdain on his face.

"I realize I won't be able to stop whatever Black Op you are on, but you better be careful Kort, you do not want to hurt that girl again." Gibbs hissed in his ear.

"And why is that Leroy?" Trent said smiling in a cocky way.

"Because she calls you Father." Gibbs said, looking him straight in the eye. Kort's mouth twisted in disgust, he shrunk back in repulsion.

"I don't want her!" He said clearly affronted by the idea, let alone the reality.

"You got her now Kort." Gibbs said softly

"She wasn't suppose to get attached." Kort said in the same disgusted tone.

"What did you think was going to happen when you treated her like the child she was? You fathered her more than anyone else. She's attached. Welcome to Fatherhood Kort." Gibbs said smirking.

"No, you take her. You had a kid, you'd be better off with her." Kort said forcefully.

"Oh but she doesn't want me Trent, she wants you." Gibbs said loftily as he turned the elevator back on and let Kort go. Leaving him to fume Gibbs swept out of the elevator. Kort followed, sending a small prayer of thanks that he didn't have to deal with Dinozzo just yet as he saw the cubicles were empty.

"Gibbs, I am not Father material!" Kort hissed in an almost anxious voice.

"You don't have to tell me that." Gibbs said, not helping at all. Kort growled and sat down at Dinozzo's desk, going through his belongings, thinking about how he was suppose to deal with this new revelation. He could ask Gibbs for advice but snorted at the idea, he always figured things out on his own and his logic and conniving wouldn't fail him this time. Instead of putting the effort into figuring out something he had no idea about, he put his efforts into finding a way to get rid of the girl, his mind kept spinning back to his plan of using her as bait, but instead of busting in before they killed her, he'd bust in afterwards and play innocent with Gibbs. There was no other way, he couldn't have some stupid little girl running around calling him daddy, it just wasn't realistic, and he certainly wasn't her father!

Growling he pulled out a picture of Dinozzo and Jeanne. Smirking he drew an explosion on the glass and set it back in the desk. Kort watched as the elevator doors opened and spewed forth Ziva David and Anthony Dinozzo, just as the phone rang and Gibbs answered sending someone directions to NCIS.

"BOSS! What the hell is Trent Kort doing sitting behind my desk?!" Dinozzo yelled, Kort merely watched in amusement as Tony's face went from red to purple, not moving an inch.

"Good Morning Dinozzo. It's good to see you again too." He said sarcastically.

"You still didn't answer my question, rat face." Dinozzo said throwing his bag hard behind Kort, pushing the chair he was sitting in over to Gibbs he tipped it over, Kort got on his feet as Tony ripped the chair away and walked back to his desk to check his belongings. He smirked as he waited for the explosion. But none came, turning he looked to see what captivated Dinozzo's attention.

Standing before the window and in front of the bullpen was Adesa, in tight jeans and a flowing white shirt. Her hair curled and tied back in a pony tail. Kort watched as Dinozzo rose from his seat and walked around to greet her.

"Hello. Who do we have here? Looks like Aphrodite to me. And every Aphrodite needs their Ares." Dinozzo purred.

"Aphrodite's husband was Hephaestus, and he was ugly and lame. Idiot. Though that might fit because that line was pretty lame in and of itself." I said looking past him, I saw Trent. My eyes welled with tears and I shoved the other man out of the way and rushed to him. Flinging my arms around him tightly, I held on for dear life. Grateful to see him, and to have him near to protect me. I knew I'd be alright then, that he'd never let anything happen to me or let those men near me.

I could hear the other man choking and trying to spit something out behind me, and could feel the other lady's eyes on me but I didn't care. This was my Dad. Letting go I looked up at him, frowning as I saw his scowl, shrugging it off I said, "They came for me last night. I ran to Mr. Gibbs' house just like you told me to."

He nodded, "Very well. Obviously they have come back. I will take every step necessary to remove them from your life Adesa. Not to worry." I smiled and nodded.

"I know." I whispered, eyes welling with tears, "I tried getting a hold of you last night but you didn't answer! I thought…..just….I missed you!"

I looked up to see Trent looking very uncomfortable, he reached out an arm to pat my shoulder, I flew at him again, and threw my arms around him. He awkwardly patted my back, I could practically hear him glaring at Dinozzo who was now laughing.

Suddenly I saw a face I knew, from back then, back when I was a slave. It was Leo and he was an NCIS employee.