- Text Size +
Tony groaned quietly as he struggled to pull himself out of the hazy, painful half-sleep he had been in. He didn't remember what had happened to him, but somehow, he knew he was in a hospital.

Forcing his eyes open, he blinked a few times in a feeble attempt to clear his vision before he managed to focus on Gibbs, who was sitting next to his bed, sipping his cup of coffee.

"B…Boss?"

"Welcome back, DiNozzo."

Tony opened his mouth to respond, though found he couldn't form any words as the pain in his knee began to intensify. Closing his eyes, he clenched his teeth and pressed his head against the pillow, a quiet whimper managing to escape him.

"You alright?"

"Hurts," he managed, his long fingers clenching the white sheets at his side. "W… why s'it hurt so bad?"

In a split second, Gibbs was on his feet and poking his head out the door, calling for a doctor before he returned to his agent's bedside. "Where does it hurt, Tony?"

"Everywhere," he gasped, feeling the familiar sting of tears just behind his eyes as the sound of rushed footsteps against the hard floor reached his ears.

"Agent DiNozzo?" An unfamiliar voice called as hands began poking and prodding.

He wanted to cry out, to beg them to stop touching him, but he could feel the familiar weight of Gibbs' hand resting against his shoulder and he refused to be weak in front of the older man.

Gibbs watched as the doctor checked Tony's vitals carefully as well as the various tubes and wires before he called for a nurse.

"What are you doin'?" He asked gruffly, squeezing Tony's shoulder reassuringly.

"As you know, we're going to need to do extensive reconstructive surgery on Agent DiNozzo's knee but unfortunately, we won't be able to do that until tomorrow when Dr. Reid returns."

"Doesn't answer my question."

"As you can probably tell, he's in some pretty intense pain right now, but if we allow the anesthesia to wear off completely, the pain will only get worse," the doctor explained quietly. "I'm going to put him into a medicated coma to help with the pain until we can do his surgery tomorrow."

A dry sob tore from the agent's throat as the doctor reached over to check the bandages on his mangled leg, a single tear sliding down his cheek despite his best attempts at keeping them at bay. Reaching up, he gripped his boss' forearm, squeezing with every bit of strength he had to keep from screaming in pain when the doctor jarred his leg just slightly.

"Just relax, Tony," the doctor said gently as the nurse entered the room, carrying a syringe. "It'll all be over in just a few minutes."

"G…Gibbs," he cried, another sob escaping him as the nurse inserted the syringe into his IV line, flooding his veins with the medication meant to put him under.

"Everything'll be alright, DiNozzo," Gibbs promised. "We'll all be right here waitin' when you wake up."

Tony could feel the drugs begin to take hold of his system almost immediately. His vision began to get hazy as his grip on his boss' arm began to loosen.

Gibbs watched carefully as Tony's hazel eyes slowly slid out of focus just seconds before his hand fell back against the sleeps, limp at his side. Releasing a quiet sigh, the Italian's head to fell to the side as he lost consciousness, completely oblivious to the world around him.

"How bad is it?" The agent asked, his voice quiet but firm.

"His knee cap was shattered. It may take more than one surgery before he's able to even walk on it, though we're confident that he'll gain quite a bit of his mobility back with intense physical therapy."

"And the other wound?"

The doctor sighed, glancing up at the monitor above Tony's bed. "He responded well to that surgery, as you can see. Luckily, the bullet missed any of the vital organs, though it did penetrate the stomach. After his knee surgery, he'll remain in the intensive care unit for a few days until we're sure there's no chance of infection at either surgery site."

The older man nodded, releasing his grip on his agent's shoulder. "And he can't feel anything when he's like that?"

"We can't be sure if the pain completely disappears, but trust me Agent Gibbs… it's much more merciful this way."

----

Stepping out of the hospital room, Gibbs drained the remainder of his coffee as he made his way down the hallway to the waiting room. It had been a long morning and an even longer afternoon, but despite knowing that his agent was doing as well as could be expected, he knew that it was going to be a long night at the end of a horrible day.

Crumbling the paper cup in his hand, he tossed it into the trash and stepped into the room where he was met with four expectant faces.

"Well?" Kate demanded, pushing herself to her feet. "How is he? Is he okay?"

"When can we see him?" Abby asked, leaning closer to McGee as she stared up at Gibbs expectantly.

"He'll be fine," Gibbs replied dismissively, though he didn't miss the skeptical look in Ducky's eyes as he crossed the room and sank down into one of the hard plastic chairs.

"That's it?" Kate asked incredulously, her hands resting on her hips. "What did they say?"

"Nothin' different from what I've already told you. He's scheduled for the reconstructive surgery first thing in the mornin', but you should all go home and get some sleep. There's nothin' more you can do tonight."

Kate snorted, sinking back down into her recently vacated chair. "I'm not going anywhere," she decided.

"Me neither," Abby agreed.

"Uh… Boss?"

Turning at the sound of the timid voice, Gibbs cocked an eyebrow at the junior agent, taking in his pale complexion and the concern in his green eyes.

"Yeah, McGee?"

"I thought… I thought that maybe I'd go into the office for a bit. See if I can uh… find anything else on um… on Jameson."

Releasing a sigh at that, Gibbs shook his head before dropping it back against the wall. "It's been a long day. Go home or you won't be any good to me tomorrow."

Pushing himself to his feet, the junior agent offered his boss a slight nod as he made his way out of the waiting room, his shoulders slumped and his head down.

"Abby," Kate said quietly, offering the woman a sad smile when she glanced up. "You should go with him."

"I'm not leaving until I get to see Tony," she replied stubbornly, crossing her arms over her chest in a gesture of defiance.

"He needs you," she responded.

"Butâ€""

"â€"Abs," Gibbs interrupted, nodding toward the doorway. "Go on. Make sure he actually goes home and stays there." He could see her face turning down into a dark frown, but in return, he hardened his gaze and nodded pointedly at the doorway again. "Now."

"We'll call you if anything changes," Kate promised, patting her friend's shoulder gently as she gathered her belongings.

"You'd better," she warned.

"We will."

Slinging her purse over her shoulder, she draped her heavy jacket over her arm as she leaned over, offering her cheek to Gibbs. "Promise me he'll be okay?"

"He'll be fine," Gibbs assured her, pecking her cheek gently. Though as she pulled away and followed after McGee, he couldn't help but wonder which one she was asking about.

::::::

Abby sighed heavily as she shifted her car into park, not too surprised that the bathroom light in her apartment was on. She could only imagine that McGee would be needing a long, hot shower after the day he'd had in the field.

Climbing out of the vehicle, she headed up to her apartment, deciding to take the stairs in order to give McGee a few more minutes to himself. Once she reached the door, she pulled out her key and unlocked it, stepping inside and dropping the key ring into the dish before making her way to the bedroom.

She could still hear the water running in the shower, so she busied herself with going through the drawers that she'd cleared out especially for McGee's clothes and pulling out the softest t-shirt and pair of sweatpants she could find.

"Alright, Timmy," she mumbled to herself. "You've got five more minutes and if you don't come out, I'm comin' in," she decided as she changed quickly into his discarded t-shirt from the previous night, allowing his scent to relax her.

After what felt like an eternity, the sound of running water trickled to a stop. Her entire body tensed as she waited, leaning forward on the edge of the bed in anticipation. She could hear him pushing the shower curtain back and after a moment, the door opened up depositing a very wet, clearly distraught McGee.

"Oh, Timmy."

Without another word, she pushed herself to her feet and crossed the room, wrapping him in her strong embrace. She could feel him trembling against her, pressing his face against her shoulder as he choked back a dry sob.

"I'm sorry," he managed, his voice muffled by her shirt. "I'm so sorry."

She said nothing, knowing that there were no words to ease his guilt over what had happened at that house. Swallowing hard, she blinked back her own tears and tightened her grip around him in an attempt to stop the tremors that wracked his body.

"Shhh."

Pulling away from her, he swiped at the wetness on his cheek discreetly and turned away from her, making his way over to the dresser.

"Here," she responded, her voice shaking as she held out the clothes she'd picked out, offering him a sad smile. Glancing back over his shoulder, he looked down at the items in her hand before he took them without another word.

They were silent as he toweled off and dressed, and once he was done, she reached for his hand again, pulling him towards the bed. He did not protest as she turned the blankets down, nor did he resist when she nudged him gently, motioning for him to lay down.

Rounding the bed, Abby slid in between the sheets beside him, turning on her side as she pulled him against her, knowing that despite his possible protests, he was craving the comfort.

He did not speak for the longest time. The only sound that disturbed their silence was his harsh breathing as he struggled to get his emotions under control.

"He'll never forgive me," he said after awhile, his voice hoarse.

"Gibbs doesn't blame you," she reminded him, echoing Kate's earlier assurance.

"I'm not talkin' about him, Abby. I'm talkin' about Tony."

"Timmy…"

"I've ruined his career. All because I was too stupid to check the closet. Why didn't I check it?"

"Please don't do this," she pleaded, her grip around his waist tightening.

He ignored her, closing his eyes as he released a shuddery breath. "I never should have come here. I was… I was so stupid for thinking I could handle being a field agent. I should have stayed in Norfolk andâ€""

Pressing her finger against his lips, she shook her head. "Please don't say that," she said quietly. "What happened today… it could have happened to anybody. Unfortunately, it happened to you and to Tony, but blaming yourself… beating yourself up like this? You have to stop or you're going to drive yourself crazy."

Swallowing hard, he nodded, though he couldn't bring himself to speak.

"I know that's easier said than done, but you have to trust me on this one, Timmy. I've known Tony longer than you have and the last thing he'd want is for you to be doing this. Learn from it, sure, but don't kill yourself over it." Leaning forward, she pressed a gentle kiss to his lips, cupping his cheek gently with her hand before she pulled away.

"Thank you," he responded quietly, his voice cracking just slightly.

Settling back in beside him, she shifted so that her head was resting against her chest as they attempted to relax. It had been a long, emotional day and though their tired bodies desperately needed rest, McGee was sure that it would not come but at least tonight he was not alone.

::::::

Glancing up at the clock on the wall, Kate was unsurprised to find to find that the hour hand had barely moved since the last time she'd looked at it. Slumping just slightly in the chair, she reached up in an attempt to wipe the sleep from her eyes before she pushed herself to her feet and made her way over to her partner's bedside.

It was not the first time she'd seen Tony in a hospital bed, though it had never been for anything so serious.

"We should wrap you in bubble wrap," she said quietly, her voice carrying in the nearly silent room. Reaching out, she smoothed back the hair from his forehead, frowning at how warm his skin had become.

"How is he?"

Jumping at the sound of the voice, Kate turned, a small smile playing on her lips as Ducky stepped into the room, looking as exhausted as she felt.

"Same as earlier," she responded. "Feels a little warm though."

"Ah yes," Ducky said with a nod as he stepped closer to the bed, eyeing the machines. "His temperature is up a bit."

"Should we get his nurse?"

"I'll speak to her on my way out, though I am sure it is nothing to be concerned about." Reaching over, Ducky pulled the thin blanket up just a little higher before he spoke again. "Perhaps you should head home and try to get some rest, Caitlin."

"No, I'm not leaving."

"I can assure you, Anthony would not mind."

"No," she responded, her voice firm. "I'm not leaving. I'm fine." Turning back to her partner, she frowned darkly when she noticed the wetness that was building up under his eyes. "Ducky?"

"Yes, my dear?" He asked, looking up from Tony's chart.

Kate reached for a tissue off of the small table next to the hospital bed before dabbing at his eyes carefully, feeling her own stinging with tears. "Do you think he's in pain?"

"It is hard to say," the medical examiner responded quietly, noting the way her hand shook slightly when she pulled away from Tony's flushed skin. "His doctors have assured Jethro that whatever he may be feeling is certainly less severe than if he was awake."

"He looks like he's crying." Dropping the tissue into the small can beside his bed, she reached for Tony's hand, squeezing his fingers gently.

He said nothing as he dropped a hand onto her shoulder, squeezing gently in an attempt to reassure her. "Are you positive that I cannot convince you to leave and get some rest?"

"I'm sure," she mumbled, her eyes never leaving her partner's face.

"Very well," the doctor responded kindly as he dropped his hand to his side and headed for the doorway. "I will see you in the morning then. Goodnight, Caitlin. Look after him for us."

"I will," she promised, her voice cracking slightly as she pulled away long enough to grab her chair and slide it over to the edge of the bed.

----

"She's not leavin' huh?" Gibbs asked by way of greeting as Ducky stepped into the waiting room, his shoulders slumped just slightly.

"Good guess," Ducky snorted, dropping into the chair beside his friend with a groan. "I don't think we'd be able to pry her away even if we had to."

"Nah, didn't think we could. How's he doin'?"

"His temperature is a bit elevated, though I made his nurse aware."

"Infection?"

"Possibly, though I am certain that Anthony is in good hands. Have you spoken to Abby?"

"Called her awhile ago. McGee made it to her apartment alright, though I'm sure neither of them are gonna get any sleep. Damn kid won't quit beatin' himself up."

"Have you spoken with him? Assured him that he is not one hundred percent at fault for what happened?"

"Duck…"

"I didn't think so," Ducky responded with a slight shake of his head. "Really, Jethro."

"He screwed up today by not checkin' that damn closet, but DiNozzo knew he hasn't had much field experience. He shoulda tailed him closer. I told him to keep an eye on him."

"Then perhaps you need to speak with Timothy first thing in the morning. It would be cruel not to."

"Yeah… you're right. Probably shoulda done it tonight, but with everything goin' on…"

"I don't suppose I could convince you to go home and get some rest, can I?"

Gibbs snorted loudly, offering his old friend a smirk.

Releasing a sigh, the doctor shook his head. "No, I didn't think so."
Chapter End Notes:
A/N: Thank you to those of you who took a second to send me a quick review after the last chapter! I'm very pleased with the response I've received so far for this story! I wasn't 100% if I was going to continue it or not, but after getting such an amazing reception, I decided I would, so again, thank you! Sorry this chapter took a couple of days to finish. I'm currently on the midnight shift at work and I haven't had much time to work on it! This chapter is a little short, so I apologize for that, but hopefully, I'll be able to get the next chapter out a little quicker! Please don't forget to review after reading! They really do make my day and help me write!