- Text Size +
CH. 2
Tony sat on the chair next to her hospital bed, watching her and thinking. How could he have let this happen? He saw the shooter. He could've stopped it. Couldn't he? Now Ziva was fighting for her life and it could very well be all his fault. Just a second sooner and she would've been safe and sound when she went for cover.
He put his head in his hands and concentrated completely on her.
The way she gets her idioms wrong. The way she smiles.
A thought popped into his head.
"Do I love her?" He whispered.
Tony heard Abby babbling to McGoo and Gibbs from the hall. "is she okay? She'll be okay, right? I mean, Ziva can't die! She's Ziva. She's the ninja."
"Abbs." Gibbs said as they walked into the room. Abby stopped babbling.
"It's not your fault, Tony," Abby said softly, touching his shoulder.
He looked at her and didn't say anything.
"DiNozzo, go home and get cleaned up. Abby will stay here and watch her for you. She'll call you if anything happens." Gibbs said.
Tony nodded and walked out of the hospital, unable to speak.
Abby stood next to Ziva, wishing she would wake up. The doctor came in and she backed up and looked at him.
"Is she gonna be okay?" Abby asked.
"Yes. She's in a slight coma. There's no telling when she will wake up. It's up to her. Currently there is no internal bleeding. You should talk to her like she's awake; patients tend to recover faster if they are spoken to." The doctor told Abby.
Abby started talking to Ziva normally after the doc left.
"Tony's taking it pretty hard, Ziva. I think he blames himself for this.
"Anyway. Gibbs and McGee are looking for the guy that shot you. I hope they find him and kill him. Wait; I know they'll find him. You just need to wake up."