- Text Size +
CH. 4
Ziva was sitting at her desk, spinning in the chair, bored out of her mind.
"I am not disabled. I should be able to do something!" She pounded her fist on the desk.
"And what did the desk do to deserve the wrath of Ziva?" Tony asked.
Ziva's heart skipped a beat when she heard his voice. Why did this always happen when she talked to him?
"This is not fair. I should be able to at least do paperwork if I cannot be out on the field. I have Abby coming up here every hour to make sure I am not dead; Gibbs stalking me when he thinks I do not know it. It is driving me up the hall!"
"Ziva, I believe it is wall, not hall." Tony corrected her.
"Does it matter?"
Ziva sat there, deep in thought. How could she tell him how she really felt?
Tony looked at her for a moment before escaping to the men's room. Ziva silently followed him, got into the bathroom, and locked the door behind her.
"Cornered me again, huh, Zee-vah?" Tony asked. "What's on your mind this time?"
"Tony. I need to talk to you--"
"Wait. Let me get this out first. If I don't do it now I won't have the guts any other time." Tony interrupted her. "We've known each other for four years, right? I know there's more between us than just partners and friends. And movie nights at my place. And flirting in the bullpen."
Ziva nodded. She was shocked.
"After Gibbs told us you died when the Damocles went down, I almost lost it. Everything was different. I couldn't stop thinking about you. Every time something happened I always thought about how much better it would be if you were there.
"And then with the whole Rivkin thing. I knew he was playing you, but you couldn't see it. I risked my career to keep you from being hurt. I'll admit it now -- I was jealous about you and him. He didn't deserve you, and you deserved so much better than him.
"When you were in Somalia, all I could think about was getting you back here safe. Even if you would hate me for what I'd done, I wanted to risk my life to save yours.
"I...Ziva, I love you."