- Text Size +
The room wasn’t any warmer during the afternoon session, his cup didn’t hold any more coffee than it had earlier, the topic wasn’t any more interesting, the speaker wasn’t any more knowledgeable nor was his monotonic speech any easier to listen to than the morning speaker’s piercing voice, but Gibbs still thought session was better. Having Tony sitting next to him definitely made all the difference.

Gibbs could relax, finding it easier to concentrate, with Tony sitting next to him. He could feel the heat from the younger man whenever their arms or legs would brush against one another. He could hear Tony breathing, his own respiration slowing to match the calm, steady rhythm. He could trade amused, confused and incredulous looks with Tony as they both tried to follow what the speaker was saying and relate it to their day to day jobs.

Gibbs understood the value of teamwork and the need for good communication. He just wasn’t sure he was willing to buy into the new age, psycho babble bullshit the speaker was going on about. They didn’t need trust exercises. They’d learned to trust each other in the field, under fire. There was no better way to build a team in Gibbs’ mind than make them work together. If they couldn’t figure out it out, each member pulling his or her own weight, they wouldn’t last long.

Gibbs snorted in disbelief as the speaker started talking about how important it was to discuss their feelings. Kate always thought that too, but Gibbs hadn’t bought into it. He would readily admit that his talking to Tony had been long overdue, but that was different. He sure as hell wasn’t going to do that in front of an audience or make it a group activity.

Tony leaned closer to him, whispering, “If the Toothpick ever says he wants to offer us a group hug would you object if I shot him?”

Gibbs chuckled. He whispered back. “You’ll have to get in line.” He was pretty damn sure if he didn’t beat Tony to it, Ziva would. Although, Abby would likely endorse the idea whole-heartedly. Abby didn’t need a reason or an excuse to hug people.

“Kind of like a campfire,” Gibbs murmured as the speaker started talking about some sort of ‘round robin’ talk session.

“Bite your tongue.” Tony rolled his eyes. “Campfires are serious business, Boss, not some touchy feely crap.”

Gibbs hid his smile behind his coffee cup. He might have been disparaging of Tony’s campfires when he’d first come back from Mexico, but he was smart enough to recognize something that worked. Tony wasn’t him, and just because he did things differently, didn’t mean it was wrong. He really needed to tell Tony that…after the seminar was over. This was not the right time or place for that conversation.

Tony sighed and shifted in his seat. Gibbs found himself moving to lean into him a little, shoulder and knee touching Tony’s, enjoying the fact that the contact would look natural and completely accidental. No one would think anything of it.

Tony gave him a sly glance and a shy smile, and then shifted so he leaned into Gibbs a little more. Gibbs bit the inside of his cheek to keep from doing something stupid like trying to steal a kiss. If they were in the very back of the room he might have been able to get away with it. But they weren’t, and it was better not to tempt fate by drawing unwanted attention.

Gibbs sipped his coffee again. The warm beverage took a bit of the chill off. He idly scanned the audience and noted several women in attendance had their arms crossed in an obvious effort to contain body heat. More than one person was rubbing their arms and eyeing the clock on the wall.

“You cold?” Gibbs asked quietly, wondering if Tony’s shifting closer hadn’t just been subtle flirting.

“Wouldn’t mind if they turned the heat up.” Tony flexed his fingers of his left hand, the movement slower and less fluid than Gibbs was used to seeing. Clearly the cold had a similar affect on Tony as it had on Gibbs.

Tony turned to look at Gibbs. “You?”

“Coffee helps.” That was as close as Gibbs was willing to come to admitting to any discomfort.

Tony nodded. His lips curled upward wry smile. “Shame that mug isn’t bigger.”

Gibbs silently agreed. He considered offering his cup to Tony but refrained because he knew Tony preferred his coffee to have cream and an ungodly amount sugar. The younger man likely wouldn’t drink Gibbs’ coffee, regardless of how cold he was. He could be every bit as stubborn as Gibbs.

Tony’s determined nature wasn’t something Gibbs considered a bad thing---anyone else would have quit and walked away years ago. Even before the Domino fiasco Tony had good reason to do just that. But he’d stuck it out, and Gibbs was eternally grateful he hadn’t missed the chance to realize just how much Tony meant to him. That he hadn’t passed on the opportunity to be on the receiving end of those genuine warm smiles, to know what kissing Tony was like, to find out how soft his skin was, to hear the way his breath caught and his whole body shuddered before he came.

Gibbs shook his head. He needed to stop thinking about that. At least while surrounded by other people and he couldn’t act on those thoughts.

Gibbs checked his watch. There was at least another hour to go. He grimaced as he drank the last of his coffee. He wasn’t sure he could sit through more of this new age, express yourself and get in touch with your feelings crap.

When Tony shivered, flexing his hand again, Gibbs made up his mind. It was time to leave.

“Let’s go.”

Tony looked at him, brow furrowing in confusion “Go?”

“You learning anything?”

Tony snorted. “Not really.”

Gibbs nodded. “Then we’re done here.”

“But--“

Gibbs stood up. He knew Tony would follow. He’d chosen seats at the end of the row so getting up and out would be easy to do. They wouldn’t need to climb over anyone or have to excuse themselves to exit. Gibbs seriously doubted anyone would question them leaving. No one in their right mind would see the value in sitting through this, Gibbs thought derisively. Not only was the information worthless, the room was cold enough to hang raw meat.

He stepped out into the hall, noting the change in temperature immediately. Tony was right behind him.

“Maybe we should suggest they have the seminars out there.” Tony rubbed his hands together.

Not a bad idea, Gibbs thought. Why the hell the hallway would be warmer than the room they were in was a mystery. Clearly the heating system had issues. Trying to talk to the management hadn’t helped the last time. He wasn’t going to bother trying a second time.

Several other people exited the room as well. He could hear them muttering about the heat, or rather the lack of it, as well. Gibbs was betting the hotel was going to get a few more complaints before the day was over. Whether it would make a difference or not wasn’t a call Gibbs cared to make.

“Coffee,” Gibbs muttered heading for the refreshment table.

He refilled his mug, watching as Tony got a Styrofoam cup and doctored his coffee with cream and sugar. He grimaced at the amount of sugar Tony added. That was obviously one thing in his diet that hadn’t changed.

Tony took a sip, sighing softly; a small, satisfied smile appeared as Tony’s eyelids dropped to half mast making him look like a contented cat. Gibbs swallowed hard, and turned away. The last time he’d seen that look had been just after Tony had used his hand to get Gibbs off in the shower.

Tony nodded to the young woman handling the table. He smiled brightly at her. “This is just what I needed. Thanks.”

She smiled back, batting her eyelashes at Tony. “You’re welcome.”

Gibbs was tempted to glare at her. Let her go make eyes at someone else, he thought viciously. Tony was taken.

Tony took another sip of his coffee, stepping away from the table, moving closer to Gibbs. “Are we going to slip into another session, Boss? Even if it is more than half over we might still learn something.”

“No.” Gibbs headed for the elevators. They weren’t going to another session. They were going to the room.

Tony followed him. “Boss, why are we--“

Gibbs hit the button, holding it down longer than necessary. Intellectually, he knew it wouldn’t bring the car any faster, but emotionally it was satisfying to just hold the button, making the simple action more of a demand than polite request.

“We’re going to go warm up.”

Tony took another sip of his coffee and shook his head. “Probably not any warmer in our room than it is down here.”

“It will be when we get there,” Gibbs said, giving Tony a deliberate once over with his eyes.

Tony smiled, green eyes sparkling. “Good to know.”

The doors to the elevator opened before either of them could say anything else. Gibbs had hoped they’d have the car to themselves but as luck would have it, someone else stepped up to get on just as they got in. The annoyed glance Tony shot the other passenger let Gibbs know Tony was thinking the same thing he was.

Tony winked at Gibbs and whispered. “Next time, Boss.”

Gibbs liked the sound of that. Next time implied something to look forward to, a future. They hadn’t really talked about what would happen once they left Chicago and went back to DC. Gibbs wasn’t sure if he should even bring it up.

They got off on their floor and headed for the room, walking in step. Tony casually dropped his empty cup into the first trashcan they passed. The fact that he’d finished it so quickly told Gibbs just how much the chilly room had gotten to him. Tony tended to linger over his coffee a bit more. Should have left sooner, Gibbs thought.

He unlocked the door, stepping in just far enough to allow Tony to follow him and close the door. He put down his cup on the small table, spun and pushed Tony back against the door with one arm, pinning him there with his weight. Blue eyes met green, checking for any resistance or reluctance.

Anyone else Gibbs had ever been with would have been at least a little wary, uneasy or nervous. His intensity tended to do that to people, but Tony just smiled, warm and welcoming. “Well, hello, Jethro.”

Gibbs shivered. That had to be the first time Tony used his name. He wouldn’t mind hearing the younger man use it more often.

Tony tilted his head in a clear invitation; one Gibbs saw no reason to ignore. Gibbs captured his mouth in a breath-stealing kiss. He could taste sweetened coffee, mint from the gum Tony had been chewing an hour ago and something he couldn’t identify. It was a heady combination.

They were both panting for breath when Gibbs finally pulled back. “Hello, Tony.”

Tony grinned, eyes bright with an emotion Gibbs couldn’t quite name. He was hesitant to call it ‘love’ since the word hadn’t actually been spoken between them….yet. It would be, Gibbs promised himself. It would be.

Tony stared into Gibbs’ eyes, searching for something. Gibbs had no idea what the younger man was looking for and held his breath, unaccountably afraid he might not find it and equally terrified he might. Tony raised a hand to gently cup Gibbs’ face, thumb caressing his cheekbone in a touch that was so light it was almost non existent. Tony kissed him. This kiss lacked the passion of the previous one, but was strangely all the more powerful.

Gibbs shuddered, and clung to Tony. He wasn’t sure what the hell just happened but he hadn’t anything affect him so much since Shannon had said yes when he asked her to marry him.

Tony nibbled delicately along Gibbs’ jaw, working his way down neck. Gibbs tilted his head back, baring his throat and giving Tony better access. He hadn’t quite figured out how he could have Tony pinned against the door and still find himself in an oddly submissive position. None of that really mattered as long as Tony kept doing what he was doing.

Gibbs’ hands weren’t as content as he was to simply let Tony take the lead. They wanted to take control, to touch, to feel, to pet and hold. Without conscious thought, Gibbs managed to work his way under Tony’s multiple layers. He sighed in satisfaction when his searching hands met heated flesh. That was so much better.

He stroked up Tony’s sides, working his hands up his chest. Tony whimpered when Gibbs’ questing fingers found his nipples and began playing with them. The sounds were quiet, desperate and needy, encouraging Gibbs’ to rub, pull, twist, pinch, anything to ensure Tony kept making those noises.

Tony’s hips rocked against his. Gibbs rubbed against him, matching each thrust. The door rattled, startling both of them into freezing for a moment.

Tony chuckled, dropping his head to Gibbs’ shoulder. “Just us, Boss.”

Gibbs bit his lip to hold in his own humor. “Maybe we, ah, should move this to the bed.”

“Yeah.” Tony raised his head, smiling. “Could do with getting rid of some clothes too.”

Gibbs snickered. “It is warm in here.”

“It is now.” Tony placed a quick kiss on Gibbs’ cheek before slipping away from him and heading for the bed.

He pulled his sweater and long sleeved t-shirt up and over his head in one smooth movement. Gibbs swallowed hard looking at the carelessly exposed beautiful expanse of skin. The muscles in Tony’s back and shoulders flexed as he lightly tossed his clothing on to one of the chairs.

Gibbs reached out, too tempted by sudden exposure of so much bare skin not to touch. His fingertips ran from Tony’s neck down his spine to the waistband of his slacks, enjoying the feel of solid muscle and warm skin against his hands. Goosebumps rose and Tony’s skin flushed in the wake of Gibbs’ touch. Tony shivered, but Gibbs knew it wasn’t because he was cold.

Tony looked over his shoulder, green eyes peeking out from under dark lashes. “See something you like?”

“Yeah,” Gibbs whispered, his voice hoarse. “Something I like a lot.”

Tony bit his lower lip, his expression coy and flirtatious as he turned to face Gibbs more directly. “A lot, you say?”

“A lot.” Gibbs confirmed with a smile, stepping forward to kiss Tony. He wrapped his arms around Tony, holding him firmly in place even though Tony wasn’t trying to escape.

Tony tried to step away when the need to breathe made Gibbs break the kiss. Gibbs tightened his hold. He’d waited hours to have the chance to touch Tony freely, he wasn’t letting go now.

Tony laughed softly. “Much as I like this, Jethro, I can’t get naked without a little room. Neither can you.”

Gibbs felt his face warm. He cleared his throat. “Right.”

He forced himself to let go and step back. He started stripping out of his clothes, focusing on speed and efficiency. He tossed aside his jacket, sweater and undershirt, not caring where they ended up. He toed out of his shoes and socks before shucking his pants.

Already having a head start, Tony easily beat Gibbs discarding his remaining clothing. He pulled back the blankets on the bed, shoving them out of the way. He hopped on the bed, bouncing like a little kid, grinning brightly at Gibbs as he stretched out.

“Enjoying yourself, DiNozzo?”

“Not as much as I’m going to.” Tony waggled his eyebrows and made a ‘come here’ motion with his fingers.

Gibbs didn’t waste any time joining him on the bed. Tony wasn’t the only one who was going to enjoy himself. Gibbs had every intention of seeing to it there was a lot of mutual satisfaction had. And if that meant they missed dinner being offered downstairs, well, hell, there was always room service.