- Text Size +
Ruthless People
Chapter VI

The sound of her computer signalling a new instant message sent a shiver down Lucy’s spine. She was sat in the middle of her bed, blinds drawn, holding a pillow to her chest like it was her only salvation; her only comfort. She wished she had somehow managed not to go to school, and that everything in the lunchroom had never happened. It was bad enough all her classmates had seen it, but to put it on the school network was just cruel.
Why had she suddenly become a target for everyone’s teasing?
After seeing the stupid animation of herself on Lori’s computer, and running off to the bathroom, Lucy had been followed. She didn’t know how many had been lead by Amanda, but she figured it had to be half the female population who were in allegiance with Karen were standing in the cramped bathroom.
Hiding in the stall, all she’d been able to see were their shadows hovering by the door; hearing their taunts and their jokes; how they’d laughed about the things she‘d told Karen in confidence. She listened to every word they said, and tried her best to forget it; but when someone who was once a friend says those types of things, it’s not easy to forget.
Moving from the bed to the computer, Lucy figured it was better to know what was going on now, than having to walk into school tomorrow and having god knows what said about her; or done to her. The message box on the screen stated it was a message from an unknown contact, but Lucy decided to accept it anyway, and was greeted by a brief message suggesting she check out a website.
As she moved the mouse over the link, her phone rang. Grabbing the phone, she clicked on the link and was greeted with silence on one end and horror on the other. On the screen in front of her was a comments page from part of a larger community; the topics and replies didn’t bear thinking about, but Lucy read through them all, each one more vile than the last. Then she heard the muffled sound of laughter.
“Who is this?”
The caller hung up, leaving Lucy staring at a page filled with hatred, and listening to the dial tone. Without a second thought, she printed off the pages and shut the computer down.
***
Kate was in the middle of updating her half of patient records, when there was a knock on the door. Without looking away from the computer, knowing she’d lose her train of thought if she did, she granted entry and continued on. Even on her day off she couldn’t get break.
“Is this a bad time?”
The voice came as a surprise, as Kate hadn’t expected to hear it for quite some time and didn’t know if it was a good or bad thing that she was hearing it now. Finally looking away from her work, she was greeted by the sight of a shaggy haired, green eyed man she knew all to well.
“What are you doing here?”
Smiling as charmingly as possible, her visitor moved his hands from behind his back, producing a tray holding two coffee cups, and what Kate suspected was a double chocolate chip cookie. Damn the man for knowing how to tempt her.
“Taking you away from here, because a little birdie told me it’s your day off.”
“Just let me give these to Jenny, and I’m all yours.”
***
As Ms. David droned on about different verbs and pronouns and their correct usage in Spanish, Lucy found herself drifting; thoughts about Karen and how nasty she was being, thoughts about her parents, her family. The soccer team winning the game next week. Everything but her schoolwork. When Ms David called on her to answer a question, she surprised herself by not only hearing her, but also giving the correct answer. Lucy relaxed into her seat when Ms David turned back to the board and continued on with the lesson, allowing her to work out just how much information on Spanish pronouns she’d missed.
Hearing and feeling the vibration of the phone on her hip, Lucy discreetly slipped it from her pocket. Not expecting anyone to be calling her, she thought it odd her phone would be going off in the middle of class; opening it to find she had a new message. Looking around her to see if anyone in particular had their phones out, Lucy opened the message and wasn’t pleased with what she read; more of the same from the webpage from a few nights ago. It was beginning to get unbelievable.
She knew that Natalie was keeping an eye on her, and Gillian knew some of what was going on, but no one knew to what extent it had reached. Disregarding the message, but saving it on her memory card for future reference, Lucy turned her phone off and returned her attention back to the lecture.
Listening to Ms David was better than having to listen to the immature giggling around her.
***
“He told us so many stories, I can barely remember them all.”
“But every story had a relation to what he started talking about at least. I can’t believe you’re working with Ducky again.”
“Well, it was his recommendation that got me to Washington in the first place, don’t forget.”
Anthony leaned back in his chair, looking Kate over and seeing how healthy and happy she looked. It had obviously been a good choice leaving LA because it was certainly showing on her. He been in DC for little over a day, done the tourist thing and decided it wasn’t for him, and decided to look up Kate; see how she was settling in. Over their coffee, she never asked about Dave, and he never told, despite knowing some things he felt she should know.
But his Kate was a smart girl - woman, he amended - and she’d figure out something was wrong, because he wouldn’t just show up without reason.
“Tell me.”
“Tell you what?”
“Ant, come on. I can see it in your eyes; you’re hiding something. And you better believe I’m not letting you get away without telling me, so spill it.”
“Roxanne’s pregnant.”
Pushing her coffee cup aside, Kate remained silent as she let the information sink in. Of course he got her pregnant; he couldn’t just cheat and leave it at that, Dave had to add one more complication to their lives.
“How long?”
“What?”
“How long have you known? How long were you going to keep it from me? How long until I have to break the news to my children they’re going have a step-sibling?”
“You got six months to work up the courage. I wanted to tell you before now, but do you realise how hard it is having to tell a friend; a close, personal friend, that her ex-husband’s bit on the side is having a kid? It’s not easy. And after seeing you take down two grown men in a workout, I wanted to test the waters first; see if you were any gentler now than in med school.”
Anthony was right, of course, Kate could see this. If he’d made attempts to tell her earlier, when the wounds were still fresh, it would’ve been like pouring salt on them. At least now the rawness of it all had faded some, and she was more accepting of some things; like the fact her husband was a no good, lying bastard.
“I appreciate you telling me to my face, and not over the phone.”
“Well, if I’d done that, it would be like the kissing and telling all over again. Painful.”
Digging her thumbnail into the rim of the polystyrene cup, Kate smiled slightly and nodded her head in agreement. Closing her eyes and taking a breath, a single tear rolled down her cheek at the realization of what all these changes would mean. Seeing the tension settle in Kate’s shoulders, that clearly hadn’t been there in some time, Anthony laid his hand over hers on the cup and let himself be her anchor until she found her center again.
“Thank you.”
“For what?”
“Being one of the truly honest people in my life right now.”