- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
People close to Kate are being held hostage. Who are these men and what do the want with Team Gibbs? Set during season one. I don't own NCIS
Thirteen-year-old Layla Todd was alone in the two-bedroom apartment that she shared with her sister, Kate. Well, Layla felt alone. She and Kate were babysitting a six-month-old neighbor child while her mother was in Michigan for the weekend. Kate worked long, crazy hours, so she was never home. Layla felt like she, alone, was babysitting Baby Marlaina. She always told herself that Kate's job didn't bug her. She was lying to herself. She made a habit out of that.

Marlaina was sleeping in her playpen, which was set up next to Layla's bed. Layla was sitting Indian-style on her bed, jammin' to Avril Lavigne, while braiding her long, red hair into about a million different braids. Marlaina was a sound sleeper, so the music wasn't going to bother her. When Layla finished her last braid, she looked at the digital clock on her dresser. Eleven o'clock: bedtime. She turned off the light and went to sleep.

Kate was typing up her report to her team's current case. Her partner, Tony DiNozzo, was falling asleep with his head on his desk. "Ya know, Tony, the faster you type, the faster you can get outta here. Not to mention, it'll save you a concussion." She was referring the slaps to the back of the head that their boss, Gibbs, gives him.

Tony groaned. "As long as I start before Gibbs comes down from MTAC…."

"You fail, DiNozzo." Gibbs interrupted as he past Tony's desk.

Tony shot up. "Sorry Boss."

Kate giggled, Tony glared, and they got back to work.

Their current case was two Petty Officers, Petty Officers Karen White and Jasmine Collins, were found murdered three miles from each other. Both Strangled with a crowbar, then the suspect spit on them. The suspect in custody was twenty-five year old Kevin Blankenship. His DNA matched the spit found on the Petty Officers. What didn't match were the fingerprints found on the crowbar. It was found next to Petty officer Collins, but both women's DNA was on it.

Layla was awoken by someone jumping on top of her, knocking the wind out of her. Once she could breathe again, she opened her eyes to see a man, dressed in black with a ski mask, pinning her to the bed. He lowered his head to her ear. "Scream and I'll shoot you." He whispered. He sat back up and put his gun touching the side of her head. She flinched and nodded. He got up, pulling her up with him. Layla saw another man, also dressed in black with a ski mask, holding Marlaina. The baby was still sleeping. The four went into the living room and Layla was forced on the couch.

Tony fell asleep. Once again, his head on the desk. Kate took the pleasure of throwing a pen at him, nailing the top of his head. She managed to scare the hell out of him and he fell out of his desk. Kate laughed. "That's not funny." Tony protested as he got to his feet.

"I got a laugh." She boasted, grinning.

Gibbs smiled as he turned away. They can be funny sometimes. "Kate, DiNozzo, go home." He ordered.

Didn't have to tell Kate twice. She was starting to gather her things when her phone rang. "Agent Todd." She greeted.

"Put it on speaker." A man's voice demanded.

"Who is this?" she questioned.

"Just do it!" he yelled, causing her to jump.

She motioned for Gibbs and Tony to come over as she pressed speaker. They walked over. "What do you want?"

"Don't be rude, Agent Todd." He teased. Kate rolled her eyes. "Your sister is a beautiful girl. Definitely the odd ball of the family, but beautiful. I'd hate to have to put a bullet in her brain."

"Then don't." Gibbs replied in his usual calm tone.

Kate's heart dropped. "Go near her and you won't live to see tomorrow!" Kate yelled.

"Kate." Gibbs hushed her.

"I see where Layla gets her personality from. Right, Layla?" the man laughed.

"Go to hell." They heard her say.

Gibbs sighed in relief. Good, she's still alive. Then they heard a slap.

"What are you doing?! Stop!" the desperation in Kate's voice surprised her. Gibbs put his hand on her shoulder to calm her down.

The man laughed. "Relax, Agent Todd, I still need her."

They heard Layla's voice in the background, but couldn't make out what she was saying.

"Look," Tony began. "Whatever you think you need you need from her, forget it…"

"It's not what I need from her!" the man yelled. "It's what I need from you!"

Tony nodded in frustration. He's gotta be bipolar.

Kate didn't look up from the phone. "What do you want?" she asked, with no emotion.

"In good time, Agent Todd." She taunted. Then they heard a baby cry. Oh, God, I forgot about Laina.

"You have a baby?" Gibbs whispered.

"No, Laina's not mine. Her mom's in Michigan. She's coming home tomorrow." She whispered back, still with no emotion.

"That's right. Wouldn't want momma to come home to a dead baby, would ya? Listen up, Agents. You have an innocent man in custody. His name is Kevin Blankenship. You have twelve hours to prove his innocence or the girls get a bullet to the brain each."

"If you have a problem with NCIS, then you take it up with NCIS, not two innocent girls!" Gibbs began yelling. Tears formed in Kate's eyes, she let out a quiet sob, and was shaking, but kept her eyes on the phone. Gibbs kissed the top of her head. "It's going to be okay, Kate." He whispered.

"Layla is far from innocent. Isn't that right, Agent Todd?" the man, again, taunted.

"You son of a bitch!" Kate yelled.

"Kate, don't give him the satisfaction." Gibbs whispered.

"Too late, Gibbs." She sobbed and put her head on her desk.

"Good luck, Agents." He hung up.

"Damn it!" Kate yelled as she slammed her fist on the desk.

Gibbs walked over to his desk and picked up his phone. "Gibbs for the Director." He calmly demanded. "Director, we have a situation."