- Text Size +
How the hell had he ended up in this shit? Tony closed his eyes, trying to will it all away. Yesterday his life was perfectly fine. OK, so he was running an unauthorized op, and yes, he'd gotten caught and was beaten to a pulp, but that still had to better than this. *This* had to be someone's twisted idea of a joke. Two weeks under Gibbs' roof, being with Gibbs 24/7! How the hell was he supposed to keep up the pretence? His boss was an expert investigator, for crying out loud. How long would Tony be able to maintain his carefully constructed masks without slipping up? "Purgatory," he muttered, rubbing his forehead, trying to ease the pain shooting through his left eye, "this has to be purgatory."

"Now, now, my dear boy, don't exaggerate! I'm sure you and Gibbs will get along just fine," Ducky admonished him, not looking completely convinced when Tony cracked an eye open to see if he was serious. A couple of hours had gone by since Gibbs had announced Tony was staying with him while he was recuperating. Tony still couldn't believe the surprising turn of events. Sure, he'd expected a lecture and a few visits from Abby, under orders to keep an eye on him, but nothing like this.

Tony snorted. "Yeah, I'm sure this is Gibbs' idea of fun. Spending his first real holiday in years with me. Babysitting *me*," he groaned.

"Jethro needs to keep an eye on you, Anthony, for his own sake as well as yours, I believe."

"He doesn't trust me, you mean," Tony replied quietly, picking on the hem of his sheet.

"That is not what I meant at all!" Ducky protested, not getting any further before the door opened and a big bouquet of huge red and silver balloons floated inside, closely followed by a subdued-looking Abby. She hovered by the door, as if she was unsure of her welcome.

"Is it ok to visit?" she asked, remaining uncharacteristically still for Abby. Tony couldn't remember the last time she'd looked like this. Abby was constant movement, hands flying over keyboards or excitedly gesticulating to emphasize what she was saying.

"Hey, Abbs," Tony said, unable to keep a smile off his face. Abby could always make him feel better, even when he was really down. She walked over to the bed and gave him a gentle kiss.

"How's your head?" she asked, as she ghosted her hand over his chin. The featherlike touch made his heart ache. She shouldn't be this concerned about him. Tony resumed picking at the hem of his sheet, unable to meet her eyes. She grasped his good hand, and held on tight. "You will be fine, Tony," she said intently.

"Yeah?" Tony asked, "you sure about that?"

"Yes, I am!" she stressed. "Right, Ducky?" she asked, turning towards him. Ducky was busy reading his chart, but he nodded absentmindedly.

"I'm not sure Gibbs will want me back on the team," Tony said quietly. "I may have gone one step too far this time, Abby. He probably doesn't even trust me anymore. And why should he?" Abby and Ducky exchanged a look, but Tony wasn't able to interpret the unsaid words that seemed to be flowing between them.

"What?" he said, exasperated, "do you know something I don't?"

"I know many things you don't," Abby replied cheerfully. " Like the number of times McGee had to ask Agent Sanchez in Cyber Crimes out before she agreed to go on a date with him, the best way to make fake blood, and," she continued, pausing for dramatic effect," "the name of Ziva's new boyfriend." Tony couldn't help it, he had to laugh. "Only you could mention McLoverboy and fake blood in the same sentence," he chuckled, clutching an arm around his chest.

"I'm also certain Gibbs is not taking time off because he's pissed at you and wants to have you within slapping distance for the next two weeks!" she said, smiling sweetly as Tony automatically reached up to smooth down the hair at the back of his head.

His headache subsided slowly as the morning wore on. Abby and Ducky filled the time with endless chatter, and Tony let it all wash over him. He still couldn't believe he had to spend the next two weeks at Gibbs' house. Not that he didn't like staying there. They normally got on fine, whenever his apartment was flooded or when there was no central heating in January. Tony tried to keep out of Gibbs' way and usually cooked as a way of saying 'thank you'. They even talked. Well, mostly Tony talked and Gibbs listened, but he was there, and that meant a lot to Tony.

Around eleven Dr. Weir came by with a list of instructions for Tony, urging him to be smart and reminding him of long term effects he could suffer if he didn't take his concussion seriously. Tony nodded and gave all the appropriate answers, too eager to leave to put up a fight.

"Oh, he'll do as he's told, Doc. I'll see to that."

Tony groaned as he became aware of Gibbs' presence. "Yes, Boss," he replied, resignation seeping into his voice. There was no turning back now. He might as well just accept this was out of his control. "Abby, could you drop by my apartment and pick up a few things for me? I'm gonna need some clothes and…"

"Already taken care of," Gibbs interrupted him.

"What?"

"I stopped by this morning," Gibbs said, a smile playing around his lips.

"What?" Tony squeaked. This could not be happening. "I was going to ask Abby," he said lamely, as his panicked mind tried to remember what could be lying around in plain sight. Abby wouldn't care, but Gibbs… "I wasn't expecting company," he said weakly, still not able to think clearly.

"Really?" Gibbs replied, still looking faintly amused.

"How did you get in?" Tony asked, as he tried to focus. Gibbs didn't say anything, just waved his lock picks in reply.

"Right…sure…Abby could have done that, Boss; you didn't have to go out of your way to…"

"Hey!" Abby thumped him in the arm.

"I just meant you know what I'd like to bring with me to Gibbs' house," Tony defended himself. "Injured man here, Abby. Play nice."

"I don't need you cluttering up my house, DiNozzo." Gibbs said.

"So no DVDs, no books, my TV?" Tony asked.

"You have a severe concussion, Agent DiNozzo. No reading or DVDs for the first few days," Dr. Weir reminded him.

"Maybe Bossman can read to you," Abby giggled.

"That will be fine, as long as you don't overdo it," the doctor replied, eliciting another laughing fit from Abby.

"Abby…" Tony groaned.

"Maybe we should give Anthony some privacy, my dear." Ducky told Abby. "I'm sure you can visit him tomorrow," he continued, looking to Gibbs for confirmation.

"Yeah, fine, but not for long. DiNozzo's resting, not entertaining," Gibbs replied, as Abby hugged him.

"Boss, I'm…" Tony began, but was silenced by a glare from Gibbs. "Yes, Boss. Resting, Boss."

An hour later Tony found himself studying Gibbs' den. It was just like the man who lived here. Practical and no nonsense. The room was light and airy, with a large window facing the garden. The walls were painted a dusky blue with a couple of built-in book cases at the far end. The bed was placed to one side, allowing more space to manoeuvre about in while on crutches. Tony glanced around, noting a couple of bags on a chair by the door, probably his clothes. There were even a few books and DVDs on the floor next to the chair, for when he was feeling better. Not that he planned on staying that long. He already had a plan. If he was playing by the rules for a couple of days, Gibbs might let him go home early. Tony eased himself down onto the bed, closing his eyes as he rubbed his temples, trying to alleviate the pain.

"Headache?" Gibbs asked, standing in the doorway, a frown evident on his face.

"Yeah," Tony admitted, knowing there was little point in lying. Besides, he had to convince Gibbs he was capable of looking after himself.

Gibbs disappeared for a few seconds and returned with a bottle of Tylenol and a glass of water. "It's no use, ya know," Gibbs said, as he shook out a couple of pills for Tony and handed him the glass.

"What?" Tony froze, hand halfway to his mouth.

"I know what you're thinking, DiNozzo," Gibbs continued, his face unreadable.

"I'm not…" Tony sat up, wondering where this was going. "What do you…" he began, not getting any further before Gibbs interrupted him.

"You're thinking that if you're a good boy and do as you're told for a few days; I'll let you go home by the weekend."

"How do you do that?" Tony sighed, sinking back into the pillows.

"I know you, DiNozzo. Better than you think," Gibbs said, motioning to Tony to take the Tylenol. He swallowed the pills quickly and handed Gibbs the empty glass. Watching his retreating back, Tony thought about what Gibbs had just said. 'I know you'. Closing his eyes against the late morning sun, he wondered what Gibbs would do if he knew the truth. How would he react if he knew his second in command was bi, and in love with him? Gibbs would understand why Tony hadn't told him he was into men; he was a very private man who didn't let many people in. The part about Tony being in love with Gibbs was worse. Much worse.

The sound of curtains being closed brought him back to the present. Tony opened his eyes to find Gibbs looking at him, an expression on his face he hadn't seen before. It was gone before he could decipher it.

"I'm going grocery shopping, Anything you want?" Gibbs asked.

"Jelly donuts?"

Gibbs just snorted and turned to leave. "Remember, DiNozzo, I *will* know what you've been up to."

"Yes, Boss," Tony answered, not really wanting to incur the Wrath of Gibbs on day one. His leg ached, and there wasn't really much else than rest he was up to, anyway.

His head started pounding in earnest again, as he considered what Gibbs might have seen in his apartment. He'd watched a movie from his hidden stash a couple of nights ago, jacking off to the sight and sound of a Gunnery Sergeant whipping Privates into shape, before fucking them senseless behind the barracks. He snorted, thinking the plot really was pretty lame. Still, the grey haired Gunny was close enough to Gibbs to act as a substitute. This was going to be hell. To be under Gibbs' roof, to have the man he was in love with care for him and not be able to show just how much he appreciated it, was just pure hell. Letting it all go, Tony tried to get comfortable, and slipped into a dreamless sleep a few minutes later.

Tony drifted slowly towards consciousness. A ray of light was streaming through a crack in the drawn curtains, illuminating a little table by the door. Its golden rays bounced off a few model boats and he admired the beauty in the elegant lines of a Viking longboat. He tried to remember if they were there the last time he'd stayed. This damn concussion was screwing with his memory. The headache had subsided to a dull ache at the back of his head. He became aware of someone else in the house. Gibbs had returned from his shopping and Tony could smell something delicious cooking. He wondered if he would be able to keep food down. He could still remember the way this morning's cereal had tasted like lumps of cardboard.

Tony remained where he was, listening to Gibbs pottering about in the kitchen. Tony snorted, who would have thought he would use 'Gibbs' and 'potter' in the same sentence? He suddenly felt alone and eased himself up, reaching for the crutches leaning against the chair by his bed. It would take a bit of practice to use them, with only one good hand. Still, he wasn't about to give up. The sooner he could get around on his own, the sooner he was safely ensconced in his own home.

Tony hobbled slowly into the kitchen, the aromas wafting through the house spurring him on.

"You hungry?" Gibbs asked, wiping his hands dry with a towel.

"I could eat," Tony replied, as he eased himself onto the closest chair. There was a footstool, too, and he realized Gibbs had put it there so he could rest his injured leg on it. "Thanks," he mumbled, touched by Gibbs' apparent attention. Gibbs just nodded. There was a basket of fresh rolls on the counter and butter and water had found its way to the table already. Gibbs placed a couple of plates by Tony and motioned for him to set the table.

The oven timer went off and Gibbs bent over, taking out the chicken. Tony had to avert his eyes. Gibbs was dressed in an old pair of jeans, worn soft through years of use. He was close enough that Tony could have reached out and run his hand across his ass. Clenching his hands in his lap, Tony forced himself to think of dull reports and McGee's latest online conquests.

A couple of minutes later as they were both eating, Tony found he was actually hungry. He glanced at the clock on the kitchen wall; 4 pm. He'd slept for a few hours then. They ate in silence; Tony didn't have the energy to master eating *and* conversation at this point. They had two weeks, he thought. Plenty of time to talk. Unless he got a "get out jail free" card. In that case, three days. Suddenly the prospect of a weekend alone didn't seem that appealing. It would pass, he told himself, it always did.

******
Gibbs glanced at his watch for the tenth time in the last half hour. He was still furious at Vance for having him come to the Navy Yard on his first day off. Granted, the information unearthed by Callen's LA team was interesting, but not urgent. Gibbs suspected Vance wanted to yank his chain, let him know who was boss, and normally he was willing to play this little game of theirs. But not today.

"DiNozzo's a grown man, Gibbs. I'm sure he'll manage a couple of hours on his own," Vance said, giving Gibbs a sardonic look.

"I'm not babysitting DiNozzo, Leon," Gibbs shot back, glaring at the director.

"Really?" Vance sounded doubtful. "You do this for all your agents, then, Jethro? Take them home and nurse them back to health?"

"You know I don't," Gibbs retorted, making a conscious effort to keep his temper under control.

"He took a hell of a beating yesterday, but he could have stayed in hospital for a couple more days," Vance went on. "I need you at NCIS, Agent Gibbs, not at home playing nurse to rogue agents."
"This was my fault," Gibbs ground out through clenched teeth. "I should have known something was up. I wasn't paying attention to the warning signs. I knew something was up with Tony and I let it slide. I failed as a team leader, Leon. Besides, I have plenty of time on the books; it's mine to use." His voice took on a hard edge.
Vance just shook his head and threw his hands up in defeat. "I see there's no use discussing this today," he said, before he turned around and walked towards the door. "I'll be in touch," he called over his shoulder, as he exited MTAC.
Gibbs drank the last of his coffee, grimacing as the cold drops attacked his taste buds. He ran down the stairs from MTAC, intending to get out of the office as soon as possible. Glancing towards the squad room, he saw that both Ziva and McGee were out. Good, he didn't want to waste any time getting home.

Rounding the stairwell, he became belatedly aware of a man waiting by the elevator.

"Jethro!" Ducky said, looking none too pleased to see him at the Yard. "I thought we'd discussed this already, you were not supposed to leave him alone!"

"I'm not!" Gibbs protested.

"He's waiting in the garage, then?" Ducky asked, cocking an eyebrow.

Gibbs glanced at his watch, knowing he'd been gone for over an hour. Tony could be awake again by now. "What?"

"I said…" Ducky began.

"I heard you the first time, Ducky. Of course I didn't bring him in. He's asleep, resting. And I need to get back."

******

Ducky watched his old friend leave, noting the tense set of Gibbs' shoulders and how tired he'd looked. The doctor sighed, picked up his briefcase and went down to the parking garage. He was supposed to stop by Gibbs' house in the morning, anyway, to check up on Tony.

As he was unlocking his Morgan, Abby came running, pigtails flying as she approached him.

"Is everything alright? I just saw Bossman leave, looking very pissed! I haven't seen him this angry since, well since Tony last screwed up," she smiled faintly. "What was he doing here, anyway? Shouldn't he be at home making sure Tony's not tripping over his crutches, or something?"

"He's not quite himself today, Abigail," Ducky sighed, as he put his coat and hat into the passenger seat of his car. "I'm afraid he's blaming himself for what happened to young Anthony. Jethro feels very strongly about this."

They both fell silent for a moment, deep in thought. "I'll see you tomorrow, my dear," Ducky eventually said, kissed Abby goodbye and drove off. She walked slowly to her car, contemplating what Ducky had revealed.
Chapter End Notes:
My sincere apologies for the incredibly late update. RL zapped all energy out of me. I will do better with the next update :)