- Text Size +
Author's note: A big hug and thanks to TaylorGibbs for being a sounding board and an excellent beta :)

"You see, Mr. Palmer, it is imperative that you learn how to... Oh, hello, Jethro! I didn't hear you come in." Ducky had a faint looking Palmer in a choking hold.

"I don't wanna know, Ducky," Gibbs said, shaking his head. "Palmer, could you leave us alone?" Palmer looked relieved, and scurried off as soon as Ducky released him. "Abby is staying with Tony," Gibbs added, before Ducky had a chance to comment on his presence at the Navy Yard.

"I did not for a minute think you were neglecting your duties, Jethro. Not after last night's conversation, if we can call it that." Ducky walked over to his desk and got two cups from a small shelf above his desk, then motioned for to Gibbs to come over. A few minutes later they were both nursing a hot cup of Darjeeling tea.

"I can't believe you have me drinking tea, Ducky," Gibbs grumbled, as he took another tentative sip of the offending beverage. He'd learned more about tea in the last five minutes than he'd ever wanted to.

"Change can be good, Jethro. There comes a time in our lives when we need to evaluate our ways and…"

"It's tea, Ducky!" Gibbs interrupted. "You're not suggesting I learn how to get in touch with my inner self, are you?" Gibbs went on, rolling his eyes at his friend. Ducky smiled, looking like he knew something Gibbs didn't. "So, what's up, Ducky?"

"I seem to recall you came to me, Jethro," Ducky answered as he refilled his cup.

"Yeah, I did," Gibbs said, draining the last of his tea.

"And?" Ducky prompted, waiving him on.

"I couldn't sleep last night," Gibbs began, thinking back to the hours he'd spent tossing and turning as sleep eluded him. "I need to make this right, Ducky, but I don’t know how. I'm not very good at this. What if I fuck up again and Tony leaves?" A shiver ran through him, and he could barely repress the surge of panic the thought of not having Tony on his team, in his life anymore caused.

Ducky was watching him intently. "You feel quite strongly about this, I see. You have lost team members before, Jethro. What makes Tony different from, say, Stan or Pacci?"

Images of Tony popped up in Gibbs' mind. That cocky smile the first time they met. The intent way in which Tony would process a crime scene, before he would goof off again. Even on the President's plane, he remembered with a smile, all those years ago. "You and Tony, on Air Force One," he explained, as he met Ducky's quizzical eyes.

"That was a long time ago, Jethro. And he's still on your team. With all that has happened, he's still right here," Ducky said quietly.

"On my six," Gibbs said, smiling fondly.

"On your six, Jethro. He's been there for you, no matter what." Ducky paused, gazing into the distance. "It's time for you to look at your relationship with Anthony in a new way. Don't be his boss, but connect with him as a person, not a team member or your second in command. And not as the Tony you've known for the last years, the one who makes inappropriate jokes and hides beneath all those well constructed defenses of his. Look beyond what you know, Jethro."

"I'm not good at this, Ducky," Gibbs sighed. "I'll probably put my foot in it and screw up."

"You didn't give up on Anthony the first time he screwed up, did you, Jethro?"

"No, but I knew he had so much potential, I'm not sure Tony sees that in me anymore."

"I think he sees your potential in a lot of areas, my dear friend. Now, I have unfinished business with Mr. Palmer. Off you go, Jethro. You have a wonderful opportunity to get to know Tony again, and maybe he will surprise you. I think you'll learn something about yourself, too."

"Whatever you say, Ducky," Gibbs relented, wanting to escape this particular line of conversation. He did not deal well with emotions. "I'm afraid I'll be back," Gibbs said, "needing a large shot of that 15 year old Glenfiddich you've hidden here somewhere."

"Ah! I take it you and Anthony haven't uncovered my latest hiding place, then? You are slipping, Jethro!" Ducky laughed and walked Gibbs to the door. "Don't think of this as an obstacle you have to traverse, think of it as a journey. One you and Tony are about to embark upon together, where you will find yourself…"

"Enough with the metaphors!" Gibbs groaned. He stopped by the elevator and waited for it to arrive. "Thanks, Ducky, I really appreciate it."

"Any time," Ducky assured him. As the elevator doors closed on Gibbs he could see Ducky hurrying down the hall, calling "Mr. Palmer? Mr. Palmer!" as he searched for his missing assistant.

Gibbs took a final detour, wanting to check in with his team before the weekend. He assumed Vance had assigned them to reviewing cold cases, as long as he and Tony were out of commission for the time being.

"Hold the elevator!" Ziva was staggering towards him, carrying a couple of boxes that were overflowing with files. "I'm heading down to Archives," she grimaced, nodding at her load. She put the boxes in the opening to the elevator, preventing it from going anywhere.

"You're not worried there are people waiting for that?" Gibbs couldn't resist saying.

Ziva snorted. "I've learned from the master," she said, cocking an eyebrow at Gibbs. He smiled, and then asked her what they were working on.

"We're looking into the Lincoln case from last year. Vance has assigned us a couple of probies from Cyber Crimes. There may be links to some new information coming in from Agent Callen's LA team. Vance said he had briefed you about it yesterday, yes?"

"He did," Gibbs nodded. Ziva seemed to hesitate, then she asked, "How's Tony doing?"

"He's doing better, Abby's with him now. She brought breakfast this morning."

"I see," Ziva replied. "And when can we see him?"

"I want to keep visitors at a minimum for a few days, Ziva. Tony's still in some pain, and he tires easily."

"I understand," Ziva said, her dark eyes unreadable. Gibbs suddenly remembered yelling at her at the hospital that first night. He knew Ziva cared about Tony, about the whole team. He guessed they were the closest thing she had to friends, although he had to admit, he hadn't given it much thought. "Listen, why don't you bring McGee and Abby for lunch on Sunday? That'll give us a few more days to recover and I'm sure Tony would like to see you all."

Ziva smiled, she probably recognized the olive branch waving in front of her face. It was as close as apologizing Gibbs was willing to go. She'd defied a direct order, and he had to trust his team did as they were told. He didn't mind they thought for themselves, but she had no business coming to the hospital and leave the booking to McGee.

Looking at Ziva, Gibbs knew she understood what he was thinking. She nodded briefly and walked into the elevator. Gibbs walked into the squad room and saw McGee hunched over his computer. There were two agents he didn't recognize in a heated argument, half of which Gibbs didn't follow. He got McGee's attention and walked over to the windows overlooking the Anacostia River.

McGee joined Gibbs moments later, carrying two cups of coffee. He offered one to Gibbs. "We had a coffee maker brought up from Cyber Crimes," he explained, when Gibbs looked at him questioningly. There hadn't been time for him to stop by the break room. "That way we can work through the night," McGee continued. "The newly recovered information concerning provided by Agent Callen is proving very useful in tracking the funds Lincoln was siphoning from the Navy. I, oh…yeah, how's Tony doing," McGee asked, as Gibbs remained silent.

"Are you enjoying terrorizing the minions, McGee?"

"Not at all, Boss. I just appreciate the opportunity to work with these guys again."

"You miss your time down there, Tim?" Gibbs asked, studying the other man.

"No. Well, not really. Maybe I'll go back someday, if the right opportunity comes along."

Gibbs lifted his cup, "To the future head of Cyber Crimes, eh?" McGee smiled and then repeated his earlier question. "How's Tony doing, Boss? Is he up for visitors yet?"

"He's doing better. Give us a couple of days, and come over on Sunday. For lunch. I'm having the whole team over."

Gibbs watched in amusement as McGee's eyebrows nearly disappear into his hair line; he was clearly not expecting this.

"Oh…sure…should we bring anything?" McGee asked after draining his cup of coffee.

"I think we've got it covered," Gibbs replied.

"Oh…yeah, sure, Boss!" McGee said. One of the agents from Cyber Crimes called out, and McGee excused himself. "Say hi to Tony for me." With that he was off, lost in a world of ones and zeros.

Looking at his retreating back, Gibbs realized how far McGee had come since his first years on the team. Gibbs shook his head, enough with the reminiscing. Too much time on his hands was turning him into a sentimental old fool. Checking his watch, he decided it was time to go home.

Taking the elevator down to the garage, Gibbs flipped open his phone and made a quick call to Abby, wanting to check up on Tony. She picked up right away, whispering as she answered his question.

"He's having a nap, Bossman. I think he's feeling a bit blue today." Gibbs could hear a door close and the sounds of a dog barking told him she'd gone outside, probably to be able to talk freely. "And he told me he's not sleeping that well, which I guess isn't unusual given the circumstances. You need to cheer him up, Gibbs. Give him some lovin', you hear?"

"Abby…," Gibbs replied, "I'm not gonna sit DiNozzo on my lap and sing lullabies!" The elevator reached the garage and he stepped outside, walking in the direction of his car. Abby mumbled something he couldn't quite get. "I'll do my best, Abby. No yelling, no slapping," he promised.

"And no spending every night in your basement, Boss. Tony needs to know he's not alone."

"I know, Abbs. I've invited the team over for Sunday lunch. I'm not sure who's more shocked, them or me." He held the phone away form his ear as Abby's delighted squeals threatened to pop his eardrums.

"I'll bring my famous mud cake and maybe pick up those donuts Tony likes so much; you know the ones with the raspberry filling and the sprinkles? Oh, maybe I should get some of that dark French roast coffee you love, the one Duckman gave you for your birthday last year, along with the rare bourbon? He still haven't told me where he got that. Ducky has contacts in the weirdest places, dontcha think?. It's that accent. Maybe I could learn to speak in that accent? Hmmm. How do you dooo?" Abby said, sounding like a cross between the British queen and a Muppet. "Would you like some tea and crumpets?"

"Abby…," Gibbs said.

"I most certainly dooo, my dear. I must say, Donald, these crumpets are the…"

"Abby." Gibbs tried to cut through her tirade again, but to no avail.

"…most delicious I've had…"

"ABBY!" he yelled, his impatience getting the better of him.

"Sorry, Boss," was the impish reply. "So…uh…mud cake, but no donuts?"

"Bring all ya want, Abby, but leave the queen at home, okay?"

"Yes, Boss. I'll come in early, help you cook," she offered.

"Abby, you really don't have to," Gibbs replied, envisioning a Goth Energizer Bunny whizzing around in his small kitchen.

"Please, Gibbs, I want to do this for Tony. And for you. For you and Tony," she said, giggling manically. Gibbs lifted the phone away from his ear and stared at it. "How many CafPow's have you had today, Abby?"

"Only one after breakfast, on the way over. There's this great little shop right around the corner from where I live, and the owner, Cameron, has the cutest little cat. It's like a guard cat, watching the door. Every time I come by, it's like she has to look me over and grant me access. I stop by every day on my way into the Yard," she said.

"I bet you do…" Gibbs got into his car and said his goodbyes. He would just make one last stop on his way home, pick up something special for lunch and dinner. Tony probably wasn't up for something heavy like a steak dinner, but a nice pork chop would do. Gibbs found he was looking forward to the days ahead. It had been a long time since he'd spent a weekend with someone. He hadn't forgotten Ducky's words, to get to know Tony on a personal level. Yeah, he could do this….he was a god damn Marine, for crying out loud. Hell, nothing was scarier than a Ducky in full pissed-off mode… Two weeks with Tony would be a breeze in comparison.

Gibbs pulled out of the Yard and headed north. A weekend off, in Tony's company. His stomach did a little flip and he rubbed it absentmindedly, wondering whether Ducky's tea wasn't agreeing with him.

**********