- Text Size +
Chapter 8.
Tony watched dust motes dancing around in the air, as the sun filtered through a crack in the shades. Faint music from the living room got his attention. Jazz. Gibbs was playing one of his favorite jazz bands. Apparently, he'd grabbed more than books and DVDs on his rummage through Tony's apartment. Tony felt oddly touched. It was clear Gibbs wanted him to feel comfortable, welcomed into his home. He could hear Gibbs move around, cutlery rattling as drawers opened. Glancing at his wristwatch he noticed it was past noon and he suddenly felt hungry. The headache form earlier was gone. Abby's insistence on two Advil and a nap had made him feel a lot better. Grabbing the crutches by the bed, he got up gingerly, grimacing as a hundred aches and pains made themselves noticed. Another couple of days and the soreness should be gone.

Today was Friday, Tony realized, as he waited through a brief moment of dizziness. He'd thought about going home tomorrow, but found he couldn't. His initial urge to flee had been replaced by a yearning to stay. He couldn't remember the last time he felt this raw. Over the years he'd settled in, learning to bury his insecurities. Then he'd been sent away, and things hadn't been quite right ever since. Tony straightened up. Enough. No more of what had been or what could have been. It was time to look forward. What had happened couldn't be changed. He had regrets, but so did everyone.

The dizziness finally subsided and he walked slowly into the hallway. He was getting the hang of this now. Luckily, he still had a reasonably good grip with his injured hand, and he could move around a little more. He still hurt, all over, but physical pain was something he could deal with. He hobbled into the kitchen in search of Gibbs. A plate of cold cuts and various pickles and bagels were spread out before him.

"Are we expecting company?" Tony asked, as he looked at the feast.

"Nope," Gibbs answered as he put a large glass of orange juice in front of him. "Drink up, it's good for ya."

"Oh, okay." Tony obliged and drank half the glass. He put the glass back on the table and sat down, resting his foot on the stool Gibbs pulled over. "So, what did you do when I was gone?" Gibbs asked, pouring himself a cup of coffee.

Tony snorted. "Abby had me decorating dragonfly cookies. There should be a box of them around here somewhere. You?"

"I had tea with Ducky," Gibbs sighed. "It came with a free lecture," he continued, grimacing a bit. Tony laughed, he couldn't help himself.

"Don't," Gibbs warned, but without his usual bite. He looked relaxed, Tony realized. Maybe a few days off were doing him good. Tony's stomach rumbled, and he reached for a bagel. They ate in companionable silence, like they used to. They didn't need to talk much, which was fine by Tony. This was one of the things he'd enjoyed most when he'd stayed with Gibbs in the past. Sharing a simple meal together, just he and Gibbs. Time alone with Gibbs was to be cherished. They didn't pair up as often as before anymore, and he found he missed it.

"I invited the team over for Sunday lunch." Gibbs poured himself another cup of coffee. Tony was momentarily too stunned to reply. "You what? Oh, okay. Uhm…why?"

"McGee and Ziva wanted to see you," Gibbs replied. "We need to eat. It seemed practical."

"Right. And who's cooking?"

"I can cook," Gibbs replied, cocking an eyebrow at Tony.

"Besides cowboy steaks?" Tony asked. .

"I've been married a few times, Tony. I've made my share of Sunday lunches."

Tony's good mood evaporated. As much as he was enjoying his time in Gibbs' company, he was reminded that this was temporary. Gibbs would never think of him as anything else than a team member.

"You okay?" Tony looked up and met Gibbs' concerned face.

"Yeah, just sore, that's all. I'm thinking a hot shower before bed will do me good," Tony said, then blushed as he remembered the last shower he'd had. He quickly took another gulp of orange juice as he forced his mind away from being naked with Gibbs. A nearly naked Gibbs. He'd tried not to ogle the other man, but soaking wet boxers weren't capable of hiding much. And definitely not Gibbs' cock. Tony suddenly became aware of the fact that he was wearing lose fitting boxers and thin sweat pants. Fuck. He couldn't lust after Gibbs, sitting at the man's kitchen table. If he got hard… Tony shook his head. There was no way in hell he could hide that, not dressed like this. He grabbed another bagel and sliced it in two. Mayo, lettuce, ham, pickles, smoked turkey, pastrami, salami and tomatoes found its way onto a half. A hand grabbed his wrist. "You with me, Tony?"

"Huh?"

"That's a big boy sandwich you're making," Gibbs said, smirking as he nodded at the bagel on Tony's plate. Tony looked at it, suddenly noticing the growing pile of meat. "I think I zonked out for a minute," he muttered, trying to hide his embarrassment.

"You look flushed," Gibbs said, frowning as he looked at Tony more closely. He reached over the table and put his hand on Tony's forehead, checking his temperature. "Not too hot," he said, his expression clearing up.

"I'm fine," Tony assured him before he taking a bite out of his bagel. "Nice," he said, smiling broadly as the flavors burst in his mouth. Gibbs just smiled and shook his head. The rest of the meal was spent in silence, which Tony found strangely soothing. It was relaxing to be with someone you didn't have to talk to all the time, someone you could just be at ease with.

After lunch Tony watched as Gibbs cleaned up the kitchen with his usual efficiency. "You wanna nap?" Gibbs asked, glancing over his shoulder as he put the dirty plates in the dishwasher.

"No, not really. I'll just listen to some music for a while. Didn't know you liked jazz, Boss," Tony said as he reached for his crutches. He almost had them when they slipped out of his hand and clattered to the floor. Gibbs was by his side in an instant, snatching up the crutches and helping Tony up off of the chair. "Thanks, Boss," he mumbled, not able to look at Gibbs. "I'll be fine," Tony said quietly. "I'll just relax, listen to some music."

Tony walked slowly into the living room and eased down on the couch with a sigh of relief. There was an ottoman in front of the couch and he rested his injured leg, ignoring the faint throbbing. Gibbs' stereo wasn't up to Tony's usual standard, but right now that didn't matter at all. He grabbed a throw pillow and shoved it behind his neck. He found himself dozing off. The couch dipped as someone sat down beside him. The faint smell of coffee was reassuring and Tony drifted off to sleep.

*******
Gibbs slipped on his reading glasses and opened a book he'd picked up a while ago but never gotten around to reading. He enjoyed James Rollins' Sigma Force novels. Glancing at the blurb at the back of The Judas Strain, his stomach clenched as he had a flashback to Tony fighting for his life after a being infected with a deadly disease. He closed his eyes for a moment, just listening to Tony's steady breathing. There had been too many close calls, too many. He shook it off, refusing to dwell on what could have happened. Tony was here, safe, that was all that mattered.

He didn't notice it at first. Engrossed in his novel, he didn't pay much attention to the world around him. Tony had slipped sideways and was now leaning towards him, head nearly on his shoulder. It looked uncomfortable and Gibbs debated whether to wake him up, have him lie down on the couch. In the end, Tony's peaceful expression dissuaded him from trying. He'd only wake Tony up and he needed his rest. He reached for a throw pillow by his side and put it against his shoulder as he moved a bit closer. Tony was leaning against him now, supported by Gibbs. Content, he returned to Commander Pierce and the latest adventures of the Sigma Force.

*******
Ducky opened his front door to find Abby waiting outside. "Abigail! This is a most wonderful surprise!" he exclaimed. "Do come in." The chill of the night made him shiver and he closed the door quickly behind her as soon as she stepped into the well lit hallway.

"You look absolutely stunning tonight, Abby," Ducky said as he took her coat. She had on a deep purple dress, with a tightly fitted bodice and a knee-length billowing skirt. Ducky thought she looked divine. Her raven hair was framing her face in soft waves, held back on one side with a silver barrette shaped like a butterfly.

"Aw, thanks, Ducky! You're such a gentleman." Abby smiled and kissed him lightly on his cheek.

"Is there a nice young man waiting for you tonight?" Ducky asked as he showed her into his library. There was a fire roaring and the corgis were dozing in front of it. As soon as they entered, the dogs scrambled to their feet, yapping away excitedly, clearly delighted to see her. Most creatures liked Abby, and his dogs were no exception. She had bent down to scratch Fergus behind his ears, and he was leaning against her leg, clearly enjoying every moment of her attention.

"Hmm?" Abby glanced up at him. "Oh, the dress. No, no gentleman caller for me, just wanted to look nice, Ducky."

"Indeed you do." Ducky beamed at her. "Please, sit down, my dear. Can I get you anything? A nice cup of tea, perhaps. I found this wonderful tea I've not tasted before; Honeybush Vanilla. It's decaf, perfect for my evening tea. If only I could get Jethro to drink less of that coffee and more tea. I do worry about his health. All that black coffee is not good for him. But I guess it's what keeps him going through all those long evenings at the office." Ducky sighed, and joined Abby in front of the fire.

"Tea sounds lovely, thank you," Abby replied, and patted him on the knee. "The bossman will be fine, don't you worry, Ducky." He squeezed the hand resting on his knee, then got up. "'I'll be right back, my dear." As he walked out of the room, he turned around to see Fergus placing his head on Abby's feet and looking at her pleadingly. "You look just like Tony," Abby murmured, "waiting to be cuddled by Gibbs." The dog just snuffled and rolled over, offering his tummy to be scratched. "Just like Tony," she said, smiling fondly. Well, that probably explained why she was here, he thought. As much as he loved Abby, she could be a bit….intense….at times. He hoped she wasn't going to push too hard at trying to get Gibbs and Tony together. Her heart was in the right place, she just didn't always have the time to let things flow naturally, at their own pace.

A few minutes later, Ducky returned, carrying a tray of delicate cups, a large pot of tea and a plate of his finest shortbread biscuits. She was still cuddling the dog. Fergus whimpered as she straightened back up, already missing the attention she'd lavished upon him. Ducky handed her a steaming cup of tea and watched as she savored the aromas slowly filling the room.

"So, to what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?" Ducky asked, as he tasted the brew himself.

"I'm here about Operation Love Boat," she announced with a flourish of her hands.

"Pardon me? Operation Love Boat?" Ducky had decided years ago that Abby's mind was a wondrous place. The ways in which it worked were never straightforward, and rarely made sense to a bystander.

"Yeah, it's a bit lame, I know. I was thinking about Gibbs and his boat and Tony and his endless movie and TV references. I've only had a few hours to plan this, Ducky!" Abby said defiantly.

"And what exactly does Operation Love Boat entail?"

"We are going to make Tony and the Bossman see sense! They are totally in love with each other and should be together." Abby looked at Ducky, chin held high.

"Ah, I see. And why do you think either Gibbs or Tony would welcome this interference in their private affairs?" Ducky enquired.

"Well, when they're being so stubborn about it, they're just gonna have to!" Abby said, slumping slightly in her chair.

"You do realize Jethro guards his privacy fiercely," Ducky replied. "I'm not sure…"

"Yes, yes, I know that," Abby interjected, waving her hand dismissively. She had another sip of her tea, her face taking on a dreamy expression.

"How can you be so sure they would welcome this?" Ducky continued. "We do know they are close, and care for each other, but in love…?" He looked at her speculatively. Her eyes narrowed and she put down her cup.

"What do you know?" Abby asked, leaning towards him.

"What do you know?" Ducky replied, sitting back in his chair. He was not about to give anything away. He was reasonably sure Gibbs was in love with Tony. His reaction to the recent events went far beyond that of a concerned team leader. However, Gibbs was also an honorable man, a man who took his duty very seriously. Ducky knew Gibbs and Jenny had been involved at one time, and he also knew that relationship was the reason behind rule number 12. Then there was NCIS anti-fraternization regulations. He shook his head. Would Gibbs be willing to throw it all aside to be with Tony? Maybe he would retire, or maybe Tony would transfer to another team.

"Ducky? What are you mumbling about?" Abby looked at him curiously and her eyes were filled with mirth.

"I was just thinking, out loud apparently," he said, smiling fondly at her.

"I…," Abby began, then stopped, sitting back in her chair again. "Has Gibbs talked to you?" she asked, looking at him intently.

"Has Tony said anything to you?" Ducky countered. He glanced down at the dogs and noticed they were all sitting up, watching them both closely. Not a word was uttered.

The standoff continued for a couple of minutes, then Abby broke down. "Oh, fine," she huffed. "I don't know know. I just know! It's the little things. The way Tony craves Gibbs' attention, the fact that he has stayed for 8 years! The way his eyes light up every time he looks at the boss, especially when he thinks no one is looking. But I notice," she said, tapping a finger at her nose. "And Gibbs is so fond of him. Tony makes him smile. He was so miserable when Tony was away. Do you remember the case Tony caught as Agent Afloat? The one with the sailor they thought had jumped overboard?"

Ducky nodded. He did remember that case; it was the one that brought Tony home. And he recalled the way Gibbs had looked when Tony was back on the team. At peace, happy. He dimly registered Abby's voice and focused on what she was saying again.

"…some pictures of her in a bikini. But, and this is my point, Ziva told me Tony barely acknowledged her when they first met up with Tony, at some bar. He had only eyes for Gibbs. She was a bit offended, actually. She did miss him, too, you know."

"Tony has a way of endearing himself to the ones close to him, even if he may exasperate them at times, too," Ducky said, smiling as he remembered some of Tony's antics through the years.

They sat there drinking their tea in silence for a while, each lost in memories of years gone by.

"Abby," Ducky said as he reached a decision. Although Gibbs had opened up a bit lately, such as reconnecting with his dad, he still kept most people at arms length. They needed to be very careful about this. Not meddle, as much as maybe nudge a little.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Even if we're right, there's no way of knowing what will happen if we try to force this. We must let this run its natural course." He held up his hand when Abby looked like she would protest. "However, there is no reason why we shouldn't nudge them along a little, help them realize how they feel."

"Tony knows how he feels. I just have to make him admit it, say it out loud." Abby said. "I tried talking to him about it today, but he shut down on me. I don't think he suspects I know he's bisexual, either. I guess it becomes second nature to keep that side of you private, when you're working in law enforcement." They sat in silence for a while, as Ducky thought about the unfairness of it all, having to watch your every move, trying not to give anything away.

"I've already told Jethro to get to know Tony anew, to open his mind a bit. They do have two weeks together, you know. It might be just what the doctor ordered," Ducky said.

"Ducky, I do believe a toast is called for," Abby said, raising her tea cup.

"In that case, my dear Abigail, I think a proper drink is in order."
Chapter End Notes:
A big hug and thanks to TaylorGibbs for being a sounding board and an excellent beta :)