- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The second story in the Kelly Koran. Please leave me comments. Read 'New Little Member'.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kelly's been working hard at NCIS, and has made numerous friends. Now, she is apparently in danger. Surprise ending.
Kelly waited for the elevator to stop and walked off on her level. She was very aware of the adults watching her procession work. It could be because she was dressed in a black skirt, a black shirt, long red and black stripped stockings, and a pair of knee high black shoes. Or it could be because that she was an agent on Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs' team of NCIS. She was the youngest NCIS agent ever at just 15. Correction; at 16. Today was her birthday.
She walked over to her desk, next to McGee's, and set her bag down. She'd been working at NCIS for a month and felt confident at her post. She hadn't gone into the field yet, but had helped solve at least two cases of murder and one of theft. Kelly leaned back in her seat and stared at the empty desks. It was rare for her to be in this early, before anyone else, but she'd had a gut feeling something bad was going to happen today when she'd woken up. Hopefully she would be a part of whatever happened and be able to help in the field; not just in the lab when Abby needed help. Someone placed a medium Caf-pow on her desk and she looked up to smile at Gibbs.
“Morning, Boss.” she said, sitting in her seat properly, crossing her ankles and sitting up straight.
Gibbs smiled back and handed her a small black box with a red bow on it. “Happy Birthday, Kelly.” he said. Kelly took the box and opened it. A shiny new NCIS badge lay in the box on red tissue paper. “It's from the Director. She believes you are ready for it.” he said. Kelly took it out and clipped it to her waistband. The weight of the badge made her feel more part of the team. She looked up.
“Thank her if you have the chance, sir.” She picked up her drink and took a sip. The caffeine kicked in and Kelly shook her head as the sensations of artificial energy hit her system.
“Don't drink too much, Kelly. You'll be bouncing off the walls tonight.” McGee said, walking in. he leaned over and ruffled Kelly's hair. His eyes fell onto the badge and he smiled at his godchild. “Congratulations. On the badge and also becoming 16.” he said.
“Thanks, Tim.” she said.
Gibbs' office phone rang and he picked it up. After a moment of listening, he set the phone in the cradle and looked at them. “We got a case. Grab your gear.” he said. Kelly reached for her bag out of instinct but Gibbs said, “Not you, Kelly. You have someone waiting in the lobby. He's on his way up.” He grabbed his own bag and said “You better talk to the Director on this one.” Kelly raised an eyebrow. Gibbs usually knew what was going on before anyone else.
“Who is it?” she asked as the elevator dinged and the doors opened.
A tall young man walked into the area and toward their section. His dark black hair was pulled back in a pony tail and his light green eyes landed on Kelly. His tan skin was familiar and he stopped in front of her, ignoring Gibbs and McGee. “Miss Korran.” he said, bowing to her.
She stared at him for a moment, then said “Mr....Jonah, correct? A friend of Commander Mandra?” He straightened and smiled. A real smile. It was the first one she'd seen from any of Commander Mandra's men.
She'd seen them tailing her ever since she'd been pulled into their operation last month by accident. It didn't bother her, but she was curious as to why she was being tailed. Though happy to see his handsome face again, Kelly knew his presence here spelled out something bad.
“Why do I have the strangest feeling that you are not here for a social visit?” Kelly asked, motioning to the seat opposite her desk. Jonah nodded and sat. Kelly turned to McGee and said “Gibbs is going to leave without you soon, McGee. Go, I'll be fine. I'm an NCIS agent, remember?” McGee looked at her then turned and left, heading toward the elevators. Kelly returned to her desk. She sat down and adjusted her skirt before giving Jonah her attention.
“What can I do for you, Mr. Jonah, that you need to approach me and dispose of your posts of tailing me?” she asked. Jonah smiled.
“Miss Korran, Commander Mandra is worried about you. But this is a discussion for the presence of Director Shepard. Shall we go to her office?” Jonah asked, standing up and waiting for Kelly to stand, as well. She got to her feet and walked up the staircase to the second floor. They came to the first door of Director Shepard's office and entered into the reception area. Cynthia looked up and smiled.
“Good morning, Special Agent Korran. How can I help you?”
Kelly smiled at the title and said “I would like to speak with the Director, please. It's very urgent.”
“I'm sorry, Kelly, but she's in a conference at the moment and then she'll be off to lunch with the CIA director. Sorry.” Cynthia said. Kelly frowned.
“And I'm sorry I'm going to have to do this.” she said. She walked past the reception's desk and into Director Shepard's office.
The red haired woman looked up from her pile of paperwork and smiled. “You've been picking up Gibbs' habits, haven't you?” she asked.
“At least It's only walking into your office and not drinking that vile stuff he calls bourbon.” Kelly said, smiling.
Jonah followed Kelly into the office and closed the door. “Director Shepard, I am Jonah Divaldy. I work with an organization that has taken it upon themselves to protect Ms. Korran-excuse me-Special Agent Korran. During our investigations into her back ground, we have found many agencies wish to get their hands on her. Our organization would like to post a man with Agent Korran during her work hours.”
Director Shepard steepled her fingers and said “Uh-huh. May I know the name of this organization that is so interested in my agents?”
“I'm sorry, ma'am,” Jonah said politely, “but we wish to remain secret about who we are. Do we have your permission?”
Shepard raised an eyebrow and said “Well, it does seem fair to ask Agent Korran what she wants done.” Kelly looked up. She'd been overcome by the change of 'Ms. Korran' or 'Ms. Kelly' to 'Special Agent Korran”, that she had zoned out, only half listening to what was being said.
“Well, Director,” she said, “I don't like having people follow me around, but if you think it's best, I will follow what every you choose.”
The director nodded and said “Very well. Mr. Divaldy will be assigned to you, Agent Korran, until you are well away from any danger.”
“Yes, ma'am. And thank you for the badge.” Kelly said.
“I thought it was time you became officially part of the team.” Shepard smiled. Kelly and Jonah turned to go, but Shepard said “One moment, Mr. Divaldy. I'd like a word with you. Kelly, you are dismissed.”
Kelly looked at Jonah for a split second and then left. Cynthia stared at her after she'd closed the door. “Sorry, Cynthia. I had to talk to her. I promise I won't do it again unless it's an emergency.” Kelly said.
Cynthia rolled her eyes. “Yeah, right.” she said, smiling.
Kelly left the office and walked back to her desk. A little pop up was blinking on her screen. She clicked it and found a picture of Abbey's smiling face. Under it was the message 'Come on down. I've got a birthday surprise for you.'
Kelly smiled and wrote back 'And I've got one to share with you.' She pushed Send and waited for Jonah to get back.
He came down the stairs and approached Kelly. “So. Are you going to tell me what the trouble is? And are you my shadow?” she asked. Jonah smiled at her questions.
“I can't tell you why we're watching. But I am your shadow, Ms. Korran.”
“Call me Kelly, okay? We'll be working close, so you might as well call me by my name. Alright, Jonah, we're taking a field trip to Abbey's lab.” she stood up and headed to the elevator in the back. She pushed a button and rotated her neck.
“Sore muscles?” Jonah asked as the doors opened.
“A little. My mattress sucks and I don't have much time to go shopping.” Kelly said, walking into the elevator. The doors closed after Jonah entered and walked around to her back. “What-” she began, but Jonah placed his hands on her shoulder and started to massage the tense muscles. “That feels good.” she said, closing her eyes.
The motions got deeper, loosening the tense muscles in her neck and shoulders. The doors dinged as they stopped at Abbey's level and Kelly opened her eyes. She walked forward as the doors opened.
An cheerful jazz song played as they walked around the corner and into Abbey's lab. Abbey turned around and automatically hugged Kelly. “Happy Birthday, Kellster! You're sweet sixteen. And I have the perfect gift.” She turned away and walked over to her desk past the sliding doors. Kelly saw Jonah look around the lab.
“Yeah, it's impressive. Abbey loves it.” she explained.
Abbey came back with a big box and placed it on the table she usually put substance samples on. “Go ahead and open it. I saw it and thought you.” Kelly smiled at Abbey trying to control her excitement and opened the white box. She folded back the tissue paper and lifted out what was inside.
“Oh, Abbey.” she said, looking at the black dress. It had a red sash with it and spaghetti straps. Kelly held it up to her and looked down at it. It stopped at her knees. “It's beautiful.” Kelly said, looking up at Abbey's beaming smile. She put the dress down and hugged the smiling forensic scientist. “Thank you.”
“You're welcome. I knew this one was better than the one Gibbs wanted to buy for you.” Abbey said.
“Gibbs was buying me a dress? Why were you guys shopping for me?” Kelly said. She knew something was up. First the badge and now a gorgeous dress.
“You don't know?” Abbey said. She reached into her pocket and pulled out something that looked like an invitation. “Everyone's been invited to a ball tonight to celebrate the anniversary since NCIS, or NIS, was formed.” she said and then spotted Kelly's badge. “You've finally got your badge, like the Director said she was going to do, and you can go. It was suppose to be a surprise, so we asked your parents not to tell you. Well, are you surprised?” Kelly smiled.
Abbey must have swallowed down fourteen Caf-Pows! if she was this wired.
“Yes, Abbey, I'm surprised.” she said and then looked at Jonah. “You'll have to get a tux, Jonah.” He nodded and Abbey turned to look at him.
“Who's this?” she asked.
“Abbey, this is my shadow for a while, Jonah Divaldy. Jonah, this is Abbey Scuito, NCIS's finest forensic scientist.”
“Ms. Abbey.” Jonah said, bowing. Abbey looked at him, then turned to Kelly.
“What do you mean 'shadow'?” she asked. Kelly looked at Jonah for any sign of permission. He raised an eyebrow and shrugged.
“Apparently Jonah,” Kelly said, about to tell the truth but didn't want to scare anyone, “is thinking about becoming an NCIS Agent and wanted a tour of our facility. He'll be shadowing me around for a while, seeing as I'm closer to his age. Think Gibbs'll be mad?”
Abbey shrugged and said “I don't know. Oh, I got you some high heeled sandals and a purse to match your dress. You'll look fabulous and I can do your make-up.”
“Just go light on the dark colors, Abs.” Gibbs said, walking in. He handed her a Caf-Pow and turned to Kelly. “You like your gift?”
“I love it. Oh. Gibbs, Jonah Divaldy. Jonah, Special Agent Jethro Gibbs. My boss.”
Jonah extended his hand. “Sir.”
Gibbs just stared at him for a moment and then turned to Abbey. “You got something for me, Abs?” he asked.
“Yeah. The guy's tox-screen came back full of coke. He definitely overdosed.” she said, sipping on her new drink.
He turned and said “Kelly, you and your shadow, follow me.”
They walked into the elevator and Gibbs pushed the up button but stopped the contraption a few moments after starting. He turned to Kelly and said “What trouble did you get into?”
“I don't know, boss. You'll have to ask Jonah. He's tight mouth about it.” Kelly said.
“It's for your own protection.” he said.
“Then tell me what I'm suppose to look out for. I have eyes and can see things.” Kelly argued, looking at him.
“The people after you are trained so you can't see them. It's my job to keep you safe.” Jonah said, staring at Kelly with no emotion showing.
It irked her that he thought her too much of a child to keep a huge secret from her. Secret. The word stopped her and she calmed herself. There was a secret and she would have to find it out latter. Now, she had to be the agent and calm herself. She took a deep breath and turned to Gibbs. He was watching her but showed no expression.
“Will he be with you long?” he asked.
“Unknown, boss.” she said calmly. He stared at her for a moment.
“You make sure he doesn't interfere with your work, Kelly.” He started the elevator moving again and Kelly sighed.
Today wasn't what she'd imagined this morning. She didn't think she could have ever seen this coming. The doors opened and Kelly returned to her desk. McGee was staring at his screen, his lips moving as he wrote in a computer code.
“Boss,” he looked up and then said something about a bank statement that was in the name of a dead petty officer. Kelly didn't really listen.
She was thinking and took out a pad of paper and a pen. She began to write down her thoughts in shorthand. Someone was keeping a deep secret from her, and not just Jonah. He seemed to be only following orders, so she couldn't blame him for that. Not much, anyway. What could be so much of a threat to her?
She stared at her paper and last month played in her head. Demetre pointing a gun at her and saying-Kelly paused and stood up. Jonah stood as well, but she raised a hand to still him. “Just going to the bathroom.” she explained and quickly disappeared into the bathroom and into a stall.
She sat down on the toilet and stared at her hands. Demetre had mentioned a brother. How he would be stronger. But there was a problem. Kelly was an only child.
She reflected back to the times when she'd see siblings fighting or playing together and when she'd ask her parents why she didn't have a brother or sister. They'd go really quiet and then say that they were happy just having her as their child. If Kelly really had a brother, why had she never heard of him or even met him? Was he the danger Jonah was trying to hide her from? But why? The questions swarmed in her head and she finally left the stall.
She walked over to the sink and splashed cold water onto her face. Kelly looked at her reflection in the mirror. She thought that becoming 16 would come with the regular worries of getting her permit then her license, boys, work, and then back to boys again. That's what regular girls did.
But she wasn't like regular girls.
She was an NCIS agent with a degree in computer forensics and coding, could hack into government systems, and had a personal shadow following her every move.
'Leave it alone', a voice in her head said. 'It's none of your business. You'll learn when it's right.' Kelly sighed and dried her face. She'd have to face the facts later, when she was ready. She left the bathroom and found Jonah standing outside of the door.
“You okay?” he asked, looking a little concerned. It was kind of sweet.
Kelly had seen many bodyguards on some of the high senator's kids. They didn't show any emotion and weren't really interested in their charges on a social level. Jonah was new to his post, it was clear now. He was trying to impress her with his professional air, but he was still worried about her. She smiled and nodded.
“Just needed a break. Come on, we've got a case to solve. This man was found hanging from a wire and an ounce of coke in his pocket.” Cases like these could be anything from suicide by overdose and hysteria to framed suicide by a drug dealer worried the victim had gotten too close to the truth.
Kelly sat down at her desk and listened to the team's 'campfire', as DiNozzo called it. As the information was given, the petty officer looked guiltier and guiltier of committing suicide by drug overdose. Kelly looked at his service record and knew it piled everything against him.
So many arrests of drug possession in his house. Most of the time, the roommate had answered the door and search warrant. Kelly stared at it. Too many arrests to be a coincidence. She looked at his status of single and realized that he lived off base for some reason with a man who was a civilian building contractor.
Kelly turned toward her computer and began to type quickly. Her eyes scanned the words on the screen as they scrolled up and finally she stopped her typing to read what she'd found. She reached for the phone and dialed the number on the screen, hoping she wouldn't find what she dread. This kind of humiliation could cast badly on the petty officer's family if her theory was right.
“Yes?” an elderly voice answered on the other line.
“Is this Father Brian?” Kelly asked.
“Yes. Who is asking?”
“I'm Kelly Korran, sir, of NCIS. I'm calling on behalf of Petty Officer Peter Brian, your son.” she said in a low voice.
“Is he okay?” the elderly man asked, concern in his voice.
“I'm afraid your son met with an untimely end. I'm sorry, Mr. Brian, but your son is dead.”
There was a chocking sound on the line and the man said “How?”
Kelly swallowed hard and said “Drug overdose.”
“No,” the man said, “Peter would never do drugs. It must be that no good-” Father Brian cut off what he was about to say.
“Mr. Brian, please. I need to know who your son was involved in.” Kelly said. She needed to know if she could force her theory away or not.
“...Peter wasn't....traditional in his tastes of relationships. That is, to say, he was homosexual. He didn't tell anyone. The 'don't ask, don't tell' rule, right? He'd have celebrated his three year anniversary with his good for nothing boyfriend.”
“What was his name?” Kelly asked, looking at the file on the screen. An angry man stared at her with a prison number under his name.
“Dylan Otto Evens. He's a big drug addict and has a record for dealing drugs. He would always have Peter cover for him. Do you think he did this to my boy?” Father Brian said.
“I'm not sure, sir. Thank you for the information. We'll catch the bastard.” Kelly said and hung up. She looked up and noticed everyone looking at her.
“Well?” Gibbs asked.
“Petty Officer Peter Brian had a home off base with Dylan Otto Evens, a known drug dealer and addict...because they had a relationship together. Evens was Brian's boyfriend. That was the petty officer's father and he said Evens made Brian cover for him on drug offenses. I think that Brian got fed up with his useless boyfriend and tried to turn him in for dealing. Evens got mad, somehow held Brian down while injecting him with an overdose, killing him. He then put Brian on the wire where people would think he died in a coma after the rush was over.”
There was silence and then Gibbs said, “Load up.” The team slid guns and badges out of the cabinets and headed toward the elevator doors.
Gibbs tapped Kelly's desk and said “good work” before sliding into the elevator.
“How did you know?” Jonah asked. Kelly looked at him.
“Brian was doing fine with money and could have stayed on base in a dorm or small house. Instead, he takes a house off base and shares it with a man known for drug association. Followed by how many times he was caught with drugs in his house, but his system was always clean, it was so obvious anyone would have missed it or written it off to some cover up drug. But none of that was in his blood. He didn't fight the accusations of drug possession, either. So, either he was as clueless as a stump, or he was covering for his roommate and not many people do that just for a roommate unless they cared about them. But to cover for as many times as he did, Brian must have loved Evens.” Kelly rested her chin on her folded arms and sighed. “I wished I'd been wrong. This is going to hurt his family. The humiliation will be too great to face for them.”
“Why?” Jonah asked. Kelly looked at him and handed him Brian's file.
“He's Catholic. His father is the priest of their church.” she said, gloomily. Jonah looked at the picture and then closed the file.
They sat for a hours in a soft silence and then Abbey's pop-up appeared on Kelly's computer, telling her to come down so she could get ready for that night. Kelly clicked back an 'OK' and got up just as Gibbs, Ziva, Tony, and McGee came back.
“You were right, Kelly. Evens confessed to everything.” McGee said.
“Dude was really crying.” Tony said, putting his gun away.
“Too bad Brian didn't have better taste.” Ziva said.
Kelly nodded and headed toward the elevators. Jonah was behind her, soundless on the carpet, and Ziva joined them. “Abbey's holding my dress, as well.” she said. The doors opened and they stepped in. “Are you alright?” Ziva asked, seeing Kelly roll her neck.
“Yeah. My shoulders are a little sore, that's all.” Ziva reached behind Kelly and pinched a muscle somewhere on her back. Kelly's shoulders loosened up and she sighed.
“Better. Thanks.”
“Solving a case doesn't always there's a happy ending, Kelly. We solve them because it's right.” Ziva said and Kelly realized that it was true. The family might be shamed by the knowledge of their son's death, but at least they knew that the man who'd killed their boy had been brought in. That was bigger than they could ask for, in her book.
The elevator doors opened and Abbey took their hands. She shot a look at Jonah and said “You can't come in, Jonah. Girls only. Go to autopsy to get a tux because they won't let you in without one.” She then pulled Ziva and Kelly into the lab.
Their dresses were already hung up in the far back and they slipped into them quickly. Abbey did Kelly's make up while Ziva did her own.
Being an assassin, and knowing how to kill a man with a mascara brush twelve different ways, Kelly could see why Ziva wouldn't want anyone getting close to her with any kind of make up tool. It took an hour, but they were all set to go and made their way to the team's area.
The men were dressed in tuxedos and Director Shepard was dressed in a nice dress as well. “Are we all ready?” she asked. Everyone agreed they were ready to go and they head out of the building and into a limo.
Kelly felt nervous as she sat on the seat next to Jonah. This was her first government dinner filled with her peers. She'd attended others with her parents, but this was different. She wouldn't be considered a tag along. She was an agent, now, and had to act like one.
The ride seemed forever, but the others didn't even notice it and kept talking to one another. The limo finally stopped and Kelly felt her heart stop. Jonah helped her out of the limo and placed her hand on his arm.
“Don't worry. Relax. I'm here to help you.” he said in her ear. Kelly took a breath and smiled. “You look wonderful.” Jonah said as he led her inside the great hall of the building.
A man took her jacket and she gripped her shadow's arm, thankful that he was there.
She looked at him and said “You don't look so bad yourself. But can you dance?”
His eyes twinkled dangerously and he said “I'll try my best not to trip and fall.”
They were led to their table and the celebration started. Speeches were made, food was served, and then music was played. Jonah stood and offered her his hand. Kelly tried not to dance in public, anymore, if she could help it. She'd was taller than most girls during school, and could easily pass as years old than she really was, but that made self conscious of her body. She hesitated for a second.
“Trust me.” Jonah said, leading her onto the floor after he'd captured her hand. A waltz played and Jonah expertly moved her across the floor. Kelly felt the eyes of many people watching her and began to pull away.
“No, Kelly. One dance. You've got to give me one. Then we can go home.” he said, turning her. Kelly followed his marks and soon began to enjoy herself. Jonah paused and then slowly dipped her as the song closed.
She looked into his eyes and saw trust there and something that she couldn't name. It was gentle and soft, though. Jonah pulled her up and said “Now, don't you feel better?” Kelly smiled.
They stayed for a few more songs, everyone wanted to dance with Kelly to congratulate her on her birthday, and then took a cab back to Kelly's house. Her parents were off on a month security thing, leaving her alone in the large place. She walked to her door and turned to Jonah.
“Are you going to come in or are you going to stay around the perimeter?” she asked, remembering the reason he was by her side in the first place.
“We'll be watching your place, making sure no one comes too close that's not welcome.” Jonah said. He bowed and kissed her hand like an old time gentleman. “Good night, Kelly.”
“Good night, Jonah.” she said as he rounded the corner. She put the key in the lock and opened the door. It was dark, but she closed the door and turned on a couple of lights and gasped.
A tall man, about 28, was sitting on her couch and smiling at her. His hair was the blond her hair had been before she'd died it, he had the same eyes as her, as well. He was dressed in black and his smile was perfect. “Hello, Kelly. You look beautiful.” Kelly was speechless. “What? Don't you remember your brother? It has been years.” he said. He got off the couch and hugged her. Kelly stared at him and then fainted.

*Note: The original characters of 'NCIS' are property of 'NCIS'. The original characters of this fan fiction are of the writer.
Chapter End Notes:
The second story in the Kelly Koran. Please leave me comments. Read 'New Little Member'.