- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Hi guys, just to let everyone know--this is a continuance of the "What Had To Be Done," story.
Author's Chapter Notes:
The two NCIS teams must work together to rescue one of their own, and prevent a devastating disaster...
"A New Nightmare"

--Chapter One--

ONE YEAR LATER...

"You were right Nate," Callen said, walking into the lobby of the NCIS: LA special ops center. He dropped a file folder down on his desk space.

"Wow, so you guys got Perini to sing?" Kensi asked, astonished.

"Like a canary." Sam said, as he sat back in his own chair.

"I gotta hand it to you Nate, that reverse psychology things actually worked." Callen added.

Nate Getz, the teams' operational psychologist, was lying on a sofa on the side of the work area. "Naturally." he replied, with a yawn.

Everyone laughed.

"Enjoying yourself Mr. Getz?"

Nate sat up straight on the sofa. "Hetty!?"

"Indeed."

"What's up Hetty?" Callen asked, from where he stood.

"Has anyone seen or heard from Mr. Beal?" she asked.

"Eric," Sam said, leaning forward in his chair. "I thought he and Abby had another doctor's appointment today."

"That was 4 hours ago, Mr. Hanna." Hetty pointed out. "They should have been back here a long time ago." she added.

"What'd I miss?" asked a familiar voice from behind everyone.

Abby (Scuito) Beal waddled in through the front door, looking somewhat exhausted. "I really need a Caf-Pow." she commented.

"Abby." Callen said. "Where's Eric?" Callen asked, looking over her shoulder for her husband.

"I-I thought he was here." she replied, looking confused. "He got a phone call while we were at the doctor's office, and said he had to step out for a sec." she explained, placing a hand against her 6 1/2 months pregnant belly.

"When I came out an hour later, he was gone and so was the car." She continued. "I had to take two buses, and a taxi just to get back here."

"That's not like Eric to just take off like that." Kensi pointed out. "Especially not with you."

"I just figured you guys called him in for something really, really, super important."

"Have you tried calling him?" Nate asked.

Abby rolled her eyes. "Of course." she replied. "Several times."

A tech assistant, upstairs, leaned over the railing on the second floor, and looked down at the guys.

"Ms. Lange," the techie called down.

"Yes, Mr. Russo," Hetty replied.

"Phone call for you ma'am."

"Take a message please."

"But ma'am, LAPD found Mr. Beal's car-"

"What about Eric!?" Abby asked, panic creeping over her.

"No ma'am-"

"Where!?" Callen called up, suddenly, interrupting the guy. "Never mind send the location to my cell phone. Sam, Kensi, come with me."

"I'm coming too." Abby insisted.

"No, you're not." Kensi said, pulling her shield and side-arm out of her desk drawer. "You're pregnant--you'd just be in the way."

Sam and Callen retrieved their own shields and side-arms.

"Kensi, He's MY husband." Abby insisted.

"Abs," Callen said calmly. He had started using Gibbs' nickname for Abby because it seemed to calm her down when she was upset or frantic.

It kind of worked.

"I need you to stay here," Callen told her. "Besides Eric, you're the only one who can work those computers--we may need that."

Sam stepped up closer to them.

"And don't worry," Sam reassured her. "We'll find Eric--you can count on us--if something's wrong..."

"Sam's right," Kensi added.

A loud beep alerted Callen to the fact that the information he had requested had been successfully sent to his cell phone.

"Mr. Callen," Hetty said, as the three Agents headed out. "You will keep us apprised of the situation--correct?"

"Of course Hetty." Callen replied, with a grin.

The three Agents departed with haste.

"Mr. Russo," Hetty called up the stairs.

"Yes ma'am?"

"Notify our liaison, Mr. Deeks, and have him meet Callen on site, please."

"Right away ma'am."

"Abby," Nate said, stepping up. "Maybe you should sit down, relax." he said calmly.

"Relax?" Abby stammered. "Relax, Nate. Something could have happened to Eric--and you want me to RELAX!?"

She rounded on Nate.

"I'm just saying its not a good idea for you to get worked up--especially in your condition," Nate explained, remaining calm. "You don't wanna do anything to hurt the baby, do you?"

Abby sighed, rubbing her hand up and down her belly--which actually wasn't all that big. She had learned from her first pregnancy that she was one of those women who did not gain a lot of wait during the nine month period.

"No, I guess not." she admitted.

"Mr. Getz is right." Hetty said soothingly. "Why don't you lie down for awhile." she suggested, motioning with her hand towards the nearby sofa (area).

Abby set her purse down on one of the nearby desks, and started to sit down on the nearby sofa. But then a thought occurred to her.

"What about D.J." she said at once. "What if-"

"It will be alright," Hetty said, placing a hand on Abby's shoulder where she sat. "If it will make you feel better, I will send someone to fetch the little dear."

"Would you?" Abby asked quietly.

"Of course." Hetty smiled.

"I'll do it." Nate offered.

"Thank you Nate." Abby said sweetly. "I'd like that."

"Mr. Getz, if you will please go and fetch little D.J. for us we would owe you a debt of gratitude."

Nate nodded, with a smile. "I'll be right back." He assured her.







The three agents pulled up to their destination to find the area cordoned off by yellow police tape. Waiting just off to the side was their LAPD liaison Marty Deeks.

Callen, Sam, and Kensi exited their car.

"Took you guys long enough!" Deeks called over to the three NCIS agents.

"Deeks." Kensi smiled, through semi-gritted teeth. "How nice to see you--again."

"Ah, come on Kens-" Deeks said playfully. "You know it brightens your day when you see me." he grinned.

Sam stifled a chuckle, as he pulled a pair of latex gloves from his pocket, and started to put them on.

"Oh grow up." Kensi snorted, in Sam's direction.

"Whatca got for us Deeks?" Callen asked, approaching Deeks.

The area where they were at was actually in the middle of a bridge, and traffic through the area had to be re-routed due to the fact that it was now a crime scene.

"Well," Deeks started, turning to walk with Callen and the other two under the yellow tape. "Dispatch received an anonymous call about an hour ago--someone saw a couple of guys talking over here," he explained, motioning with his hand to an area on the driver's side of the car.

The group slid under the yellow tape, flashed their credentials for the guard cops, and then approached the car.

"Then there was a struggle," Deeks continued. "Then one of the guys took a header over the side, that's when 'our witness' decided to call it in."

"Any idea who it was that went in?" Kensi asked.

"Nope, but LAPD has divers searching the area as we speak." Deeks informed her.

"How did they know to call NCIS?" Kensi asked.

Deeks turned to one of the other LAPD police officers in charge of working the scene, and said something to him. The officer turned away, and then turned back and handed Deeks a sealed plastic evidence bag.

Deeks looked at the plastic bag and its innards, and then tossed it across the car to Sam.

Sam looked at the plastic bag, and its innards.

"What is it?" Callen asked, looking across the car at Sam.

"Eric's creds." Sam replied, tossing the plastic bag to Callen.

"So it's definitely Eric's car." Callen said, catching the bag in mid-air.

"Yep." Sam agreed. "Guess so."

Callen handed the plastic bag back to Deeks. "Since your guys have already started processing--we'll run prints through LAPD's lab." Callen told Deeks. "Just have'em fax the results to us." he added.

"Will do." Deeks replied.

Callen knelt down to examine the passenger's side of the car.

"Driver side windows' been busted in." Callen pointed out, from the other side looking in.

"Red Mud, on the passenger's side floorboard," Callen said, pointing to an area on the floorboard where red mud outlined a set of shoe prints. "Whoever sat here let his prints," Callen added. "Too big to be Eric's or Abby's."

"Make sure the CSIs make molds of these will ya?" Callen said aloud. "And take some samples of this mud too." he added.

"Don't see any blood," Kensi said, pulling on a pair of latex gloves as well. "Usually that's a good thing." she pointed out.

"Usually." Deeks agreed.

"Any description(s) of the suspects?" Sam asked, now poking around inside the car on the drivers' side.

"Um, only that there were three of them, and they were all dressed in the same dark-colored business suits." Deeks recalled, scratching his chin lightly.

"Mafia, could be." he added.

"In L.A.," Sam huffed. "No. Highly unlikely."

"Hey, just sayin'." Deeks shrugged.

"Hey Sam," Kensi called from the back of the car. "Pop the trunk for me."

"You got it." Sam called back, as he reached over, and pressed the switch to unlock/open the trunk.

Kensi pulled the trunk open, once she heard the click from inside, and looked the contents within its confines over. "Doesn't look like anything's missing." she pointed out. Noting the things that she would expect for Eric to maybe have in his trunk.

Kensi closed the trunk back, and then stepped around towards the drivers' side. As she moved towards Sam, something caught her eye on the ground. She stooped over, and right on the ground just under the car (in the shadows underneath) was a black, leather wallet. She picked it up carefully between her thumb and forefinger, and held it up to her face.

"Guys." she said, staring at the wallet in her fingers.

Sam and Callen exited the car, and walked to where Kensi was standing. Kensi carefully opened the wallet up to look inside.

"What's the license say?" Sam asked.

"Dmitri Barishnikov." she read the name on the driver's license aloud for the others to hear.

"That's Russian." Callen pointed out.

"Mafia's not so far-fetched after all is it?" Deeks remarked.

Sam stifled another chuckle.

Kensi rolled her eyes at the LAPD Liaison.

"Okay, look, Here's what I think-" Deeks said, stepping over to where the other three were standing. "Our 'trio' lured him out here, threatened him maybe, roughed'em up a little bit--then, maybe, he decides to fight back." Deeks continued with his theory. "Your boy manages to knock one of the three stooges over the side, jumps back into the car to make a getaway--thug number two punches in the drivers' side window (I'm guessing he's probably a pretty big guy), drags him out of the car; and hauls him off to their secret hideout."

"Um, Guys," Kensi spoke up, examining the contents of the wallet more closely. "This is a 'D.C.' license." she told them.

"Well, you know what that means?" Sam commented, looking over at Callen.

"We need to make a phone call." Callen said, looking at Deeks, as he pulled out his cell phone, and dialed Hetty's number via 'speed dial'.

"Yeah Hetty," Callen said, into the phone, once Hetty answered on her end back at HQ. "No, its not lookin' good right now." he told her.

"Did 'they' leave us anything to work with Mr. Callen?" she asked, over the phone line.

Deeks retrieved another evidence bag from one of the other officers, and handed it to Kensi.

"Maybe." he replied, looking at the wallet that Kensi was holding as she stuck it into the evidence bag. "It might be a good idea to place a call to Director Vance...in D.C., though." he added.

"Yeah, thanks Hetty." he said. "We'll be heading back in soon." he added. "Yeah, you too. Bye." he hung up his cell phone.









--Chapter Two--

On the other side of the country at NCIS HQ in Washington, D.C., Director Leon Vance answered his desk phone, without looking up, as he was going over some documents that he has laying out across his desk.

"Yes." he said, into the phone. "Hmm. Alright, I'm on my way." he said, and then he hung up the phone.






In The Bullpen...

The gang was, at this point, just lounging around at their desks--having just recently closed another case. It was between 4:30 and 5:30 in the afternoon.

"Ah, Another case, solved--thanks to...us." Tony said, as he leaned back in his desk chair (the one that used to belong to Gibbs).

"We have to pick up Talia in less than an hour Tony, do not forget." Ziva reminded her husband, from her own desk.

"I won't dear." Tony replied, rolling his eyes. "Not at what that 'babysitter' is charging us." he added.

"Why don't you guys just have her come here after 'pre-school' lets out every afternoon?" McGee suggested.

Young Talia had been attending a sort of pre-school, as her impending enrollment in kindergarten loomed ahead in the upcoming Fall. And every afternoon when it let out she was taken to a babysitter's home by one of the 'teachers' there. It was, as Tony had said, not cheap.

"Well, McGee, because Ziva doesn't want her to be exposed to the things that go on here at the office." Tony explained, eying Ziva as he spoke. "Plus, I don't know--I mean we hired the babysitter to watch Gena while we work anyway--so why not take advantage of that a little further, ya know."

Gena (pronounced like Jeh-na) is the most recent addition to the DiNozzo family. Tony and Ziva now have two little girls. Gena is only just a few months old at this point.

"I'm sorry dear." Ziva said, putting an unnatural emphasis on the word 'dear'. "But have you not seen the kids that are running around these days--they know way too much for their age(s). It is not natural." she insisted. "And I do not want my daughter to end up like that."

The elevator pinged around the corner, and then a few seconds later Alicia McGee stepped around the corner into the bullpen carrying an almost year old baby boy that looked remarkably like his father.

"Alicia!" McGee exclaimed joyfully, at the sight of his wife and child.

"Hey sweetheart," Alicia smiled. "I checked on your car on my way over here to get you." she told him as she approached his desk. "Dave said it will be at least another day or two, before its ready."

McGee's car had had to go into the repair shop for some repairs after their last case. And he was still waiting on them to be finished with it.

"That's alright." McGee replied, with a wave of his hand.

"Look, there's daddy." Alicia muttered sweetly to the baby boy in her arms.

"Alicia," Ziva said. "Its good to see you."

"Oh hi Ziva." Alicia replied, sweetly. "Sorry," she apologized for not noticing her or Tony. "I guess I'm just so frazzled today, that its just like--Augh."

"Its alright." Ziva told her softly. "I know the feeling."

Alicia handed the baby boy over to his father, who still sat at his desk. After she did, she rubbed her hip, which was sore from having to carry the baby around on it so often.

"Maxie!" McGee said excitedly, taking his son into his arms. The tiny tot's full name is actually 'James Maximilian McGee' (or Maxie for short). "How's my little buddy doin' today, hunh?"

McGee started bouncing the tot on his knee, gently, and as he did so the tot started giggling delightedly.

"How was work?" he asked his wife.

"The same-old-same-old." she said, shaking her hand in the air. Alicia is/was actually a low-level attorney at a law-firm that she had just started working at at the beginning of the year.

"I see." McGee replied.

Tony chuckled to himself as he watched McGee play with the little baby boy at his desk.

"Agent DiNozzo!" Vance called down from upstairs.

Everyone in the bullpen sat up at attention at hearing their Director's voice.

"Gather your team!" Vance instructed him. "And meet me at MTAC. Now." he added.

"Yes sir." Tony said, as he stood up from his chair.

McGee handed Maxie back to Alicia. "This shouldn't take long, sweetheart," he told her.

"Yeah," Tony agreed, helping McGee out. "Probably just wants to congratulate us on a job well done for closing our last case so quickly."

"Okay." Alicia said, smiling sweetly at McGee.

And with that Tony, Ziva, and McGee headed up the stairs, around the corner, to MTAC where Director Vance was now waiting for them.







In MTAC...

The trio walked into MTAC, and immediately found themselves staring at the face of their favorite Goth Forensic Specialist--Abby Scuito Beal, staring back at them on the huge plasma viewing screen.

"Abby!-" McGee started to exclaim happily.

"Guys!" Abby blurted out. "Eric's missing!"

Callen immediately stepped in, and took over.

"Sorry about that." Callen apologized. "She's a little--wound up." he explained.

"We can see that." Tony replied.

"Abby," Nate was saying, placing his hands on the Goth Forensic Specialist's shoulder(s). "Try to relax, okay."

"Good luck with that." McGee called out to Nate.

Nate just smiled, and waved, and then tried to guide Abby away.

"Alright Mr. Callen," Vance said. "Go ahead--read'em in."

Callen began to explain the events that had taken place so far to Tony and his team over the next few minutes or so.

Soon Abby was heard yelling in the background.

"He's MY husband!" she yelled furiously, her voice cracking as she spoke. "I deserve to be a part of this investigation Hetty. He's my-" she stopped short.

Tony spoke up. "Let me speak to her for a sec." he told Callen.

Callen nodded, and soon Abby was brought before Tony, Ziva, and McGee.

"What!?" Abby demanded. It was obvious that she was angry and upset. Her normally fierce green eyes, were now moist and red with emotion.

"Abs," Tony said calmly. "Calm down." he told her.

"Calm down-" she started to protest.

"Abs," Tony said, calmly, again. "Everything is going to be alright," he reassured her, nodding to Callen. "I know you're upset--this must be terrifying for you-"

Abby, visibly, sniffled in front of everyone.

"-But listen to me, okay," Tony continued. "We WILL find Eric--for you. And you know, that my word is as good as Gibbs' word." he told her.

Abby just nodded, and sniffled again.

"Tony's right sweetie," Ziva agreed, sweetly. "You need to relax. Getting worked up like this isn't good for the baby." she pointed out, just as Nate and Hetty had done earlier.

"I know but-" she said, her voice quivering as she tried to speak.

"Abby," McGee spoke up now. "What would Gibbs say?" he asked.

Abby nodded at the trio, and then turned to leave. "Thanks guys." she said quietly.

"Oh, and, one more thing-" Kensi added, stepping up to be seen.

"Right." Callen agreed. "We found this in the Russian guys' wallet," Callen said, taking the slip of paper from Kensi and holding it up in front of the plasma viewing screen. "We ran it through national and international databases," Callen told them. "But it comes back as a D.C. phone number."

The trio (and Vance) examined the phone number on the slip of paper, and then Ziva looked up at Tony suddenly. Tony could sense what she was thinking.

"Nah, it couldn't be." he told her.

"What?" Callen and Vance asked at the same time.

"Its just--its just that we KNOW that phone number." Tony told everyone.

"Whose is it Agent DiNozzo?" Vance asked, seriously.

"Its our-" Ziva started to say.

"Sir." one of the techies close to where Vance was standing spoke up.

"What is it?" Vance replied, a little annoyed that he was interrupted like that.

"There's a call coming in for Agent DiNozzo--off the switchboard--says its urgent." he told Vance.

"Tell'em to call back later. Agent DiNozzo is in the middle of something important right now."

"I tried that sir," the techie replied. "But 'she' won't listen--she's sounds scared--sir. Says her name's Talia."

Tony and Ziva's eyes went big at hearing their daughter's name.

"Put her through!" Tony quickly commanded the guy. "On the speakers."

The sound of crackling came and then went as the speakers came on and the call was transferred through to them.

"Talia." Tony said loudly.

"Daddy?" the, just recently turned 5 years old, little girl's voice came over the speakers in sort of a hushed tone.

"Sweetie, is something wrong?" Ziva asked, now wringing her hands nervously.

"The bad people," Talia said quietly, her voice low but shaky. "The bad people're hurting her." she told them.

Suddenly a loud thwack was heard in the back ground, followed by the sound of a grown woman crying, and then yelling in Russian.

"Please," the woman begged, through tears. "Please, please. No!"

Another very loud 'THWACK!' was heard, and this time Talia screamed.

More shouting in Russian, confused sounding somewhat too.

"Talia." Tony said, his nerves on edge by now.

"Daddy," the little girl cried. "Da-"

"You!" A voice, now speaking in English (yet still had a Russian accent), said harshly. "Come here, you little-"

"DAAADDYYYY!" The little girl screamed, terrified.

Then there was more yelling in Russian, over Talia's now muffled screams.

"Talia." Tony spoke, his voice rising an octave higher.

"Sweetheart?" Ziva tried. Her voice rising too.

"Talia." he tried again. "Talia!" he yelled. Then the line went dead.

"Was that recorded?" Callen asked, immediately.

"Yes sir." the Techie replied. "All conversations--incoming and outgoing--are recorded for-"

"Good. Send us a copy ASAP." he told the techie.

"That was Russian they were speaking." Callen told everyone. "I need to analyze it--find out what exactly they were talking about." he added.

"Yeah, well that number you found--that's where that phone call was made from." Tony said, speaking quickly.

"Go," Sam said, from behind Callen. "Your family's more important right now--and if G.'s hunch turns out to be right," Sam continued.

"We're in for a long one." Tony finished Sam's thought for him.

"We'll wait for your report." Callen told them.

Tony and Ziva turned, and raced for the door out of MTAC.

"Hey wait," McGee called after them as he raced to catch up with his partners. "I'm coming with you."








In Los, Angeles...

It was really beginning to get late at NCIS: L.A. HQ.

Abby sat on the sofa in the lobby of the NCIS: L.A. division's office watching her 4 1/2 year old little boy playing with a few toys that Nate had gotten out for him to play with.

She sniffled, and then wiped a few tears from her eyes.

The little boy looked up at his mother. He could sense that something was wrong.

"Mommy okay?" D.J. asked, quietly.

"Mommy's just-" Abby couldn't finish her sentence.

D.J. got up off of the floor, and walked over to where his mother sat on the sofa.

"Mommy's fine honey," she said finally, softly. "Mommy's just 'sad' that Daddy hasn't come home yet."

Little D.J., with great effort, pulled himself up onto the sofa next to his mother.

Abby looked up at her son.

D.J. hugged Abby gently. "Mommy sad." he said softly. "I'll be sad too." he added, softly. Then he sat down, and snuggled up against his mother's side--resting his head against her belly.

Abby couldn't help but smile a little through her moist, red eyes, at her young son. She began to stroke her hand, gently, against his exposed cheek, and then through his semi-curly dirty blond hair.

"Mommy's angel." she said softly, running her hand gently through the little boy's hair.








Meanwhile, In Washington, D.C. ...

Tony, Ziva, and McGee arrived at the babysitter's house to find the front door slightly ajar--with definite signs that it had been forced.

"McGee, the back." Tony said, as he pulled out his Sig Sauer and primed it.

"Right." McGee replied, quietly.

McGee turned and headed for the backyard slowly and quietly.

Ziva pulled out her Sig as well.

"Ms. Kravinsky?" Called called out, in a low voice, as he and Ziva carefully and slowly made their way in through the front door.

"Tali?" Ziva called out, in the same low voice.

No answer from either one.

On the inside the place had been smashed up pretty badly--it looked like a hurricane had blown through. The couch was pushed over backwards, and the coffee table was smashed to pieces and scattered about the floor. The Television was even smashed inwards.

McGee then came through the kitchen door into the living room area a few seconds later. "Kitchen and Basement are clear." he said, spotting Ziva and Tony. "The phone in the kitchen is hanging off of the base--must be where Talia called from."

"Yeah. Must be." Tony agreed.

"Tony," Ziva said suddenly. "There."

Tony looked where Ziva was pointing, and saw the body of Ms. Kravinsky laying at the foot of the stairs.

They ran over to where she was laying, and Tony quickly checked for a pulse. He found none. "She's dead."

"Talia!" Tony called out, standing back up. Nothing.

"Tony. Gena." Ziva said at once.

"Right. Upstairs."

The trio next headed up the stairs to the second floor.

"McGee--check the master bedroom." Tony instructed, pointing to the room at the far end of the second floor.

"On it."

Tony and Ziva headed for the room where they knew that the babysitter kept the 'crib' where Gena would sleep. Upon entering the 'kids' room they were shocked to find the crib upturned, as well as many of the other pieces of furniture. This room was nearly, completely destroyed kind of like the living room downstairs.

"Oh my God." Ziva gasped, at seeing the sight. "Where-" she started to say.

Tony started to move the pieces of the destroyed crib aside. He moved the wooden frame pieces, and then started moving the mattress pieces and stuff.

Tony pulled the mattress and stuff up, and laying on the floor tangled up in a blanket was Gena---unconscious. As soon as he saw his daughter lying there, he dropped his gun, and went to his knees.

"Ziva!" he called her over quickly.

"What-Oh my God." she said when she saw her youngest daughter.

Tony looked up. "She's still breathing." he told Ziva. "She still probably needs medical attention." he added, as he carefully lifted her up off of the floor and into his arms.

Tony quickly, yet carefully, handed Gena to Ziva. "I'll call for a bus." Tony told Ziva. He then pulled out his cell phone, dialed the emergency number, made the call and then hung up.

McGee walked into the room. "All clear."

"We need to get Gena downstairs," Tony said. "Medics'll be here soon."

The three of them walked down the hall towards the stairs, and as they passed the upstairs bathroom a sound coming from within made them stop. Tony went for his gun immediately. He stepped inside the bathroom, and flipped on the lights.

He pointed his gun at the 'built-in' clothes hamper, and reached out to open the door to said hamper. "Come out." he said.

He pulled open the door quickly, and pointed his gun inside. There, sitting scrunched up in the far back of the hamper-pantry, knees pulled up to her chest, and shaking with fear sat little Talia.

"Talia," Tony gasped, relieved, as he dropped to his knees--laying his gun aside.

"Where?" Ziva asked quickly.

Tony stuck his upper body into the hamper-pantry, and put his arms around his daughter. "Sshhh." he said softly, as he lifted her up. Its daddy." he reassured her.

Tony carefully and gently hoisted Talia out of the hamper-pantry, and she clung tight to him. She was shaking as he looked her over finally outside the hamper-pantry, and she had a small cut above her left eye, and a busted lip.

"It's okay," he whispered in her ear. "You're okay, you're okay." he rocked her gently in his arms. "You're safe now. I won't let them hurt you."

At that point little Talia started to sob softly into her father's shoulder.

"I know." he whispered softly, patting his daughter gently on the back. He had tears forming in his eyes too. He was so relieved that she was okay, and now at the mercy of some ruthless Russian terrorist(s).









--Chapter Three--

"Agent DiNozzo," Callen said, when Tony re-entered MTAC with McGee a few hours later.

"You been waitin' on us the whole time like this?" McGee asked.

"No," Callen chuckled. "Director Vance told Hetty that you guys were on your way back."

"Oh." McGee nodded.

"SitRep Mr. Callen." Hetty said, from behind Callen.

"Gettin' there Hetty." Callen replied.

"Right," Tony spoke up. "Our babysitter is dead, and her house was completely torn apart." Tony told Callen. "I've got a team processing the scene as we speak."

"Good." Callen replied.

"How're the kids?" Sam asked, stepping into view.

"At the hospital now," Tony replied, shaking his head. "Ziva stayed with them--she'll be checking in as soon as she knows something definite."

Sam nodded.

"I also had McGee run a background check on our 'babysitter'--Ailene Kravinsky--before we came up here. Turns out she was born in Moscow as one of three daughters born to known Mafia Leader Anatolii Alexandrov." Tony informed him.

"I knew it." Deeks cried out from the background. "I knew the Mafia was involved somehow."

"Her file says that she defected to our side in the early nineties, and was granted asylum here in the states in exchange for information on her father and his activities." McGee explained, reading information off of his PDA.

"What kind of information?" Callen asked.

"Uh," McGee said, as he scrolled through the info displayed on his PDA. "Her father was involved in arms and drug smuggling." he read off the info.

"So let's suppose, that these 'Russian Radicals' have some...connection, to Alexandrov," Vance said, from the side. "Why come out now?"

"You're guess is as good as mine." Callen replied.

"Wait." McGee said, looking down at his PDA. "There's something else...says here--Alexandrov passed away six months ago. Liver Disease."

"Yep, I'd say that'll do it." Tony remarked. "Team without a captain, needs a new captain." he added.

"You think this might be some kind of Russian gang war?" Deeks asked, stepping into view.

"Could be." McGee added, for Tony.

"Okay, so why do they need Eric?" Deeks asked.

Hetty spoke up. "Timothy," she said. "You said that Ailene had 'two' sisters--did you not?"

"Uh, yes ma'am." McGee replied.

"Then, perhaps you need to find one of them." Vance finished for Hetty.

"Sounds like a plan." Callen said. "Got an address?"

McGee scrolled through the info on his PDA. "Wow," he said finally. "According to this, one sister, Ariana, lives nearby in Virginia; and the other, Alexi, lives in Los Angeles, California." he told everyone.

"Alright," Callen said. "We'll take Alexi then. You guys see if you can track down Ariana." he added.

"So this is a joint-investigation, then?" Vance asked.

"Absolutely, Leon." Hetty replied.

"We also have this." Tony said next. "One of our suspects wears a tattoo that resembles an evil skull-clown, thing, with a snake slithering out of its mouth." Tony described the unusual-looking tattoo.

"The body we pulled from the river has a tattoo matching that description as well." Callen pointed out. "I looked up the tattoo's meaning, to see if maybe there was one, and the only thing that I can find is this." he said holding up another piece of letter-head sized paper. "It says here that when Anatollo Alexandrov was big in Russia--back in the 1990s--he was called, by many who feared him, 'The Joker' or 'Laughing Russian'." Callen explained.

"Oh, so he was a Batman villain then?" Tony remarked.

"Well, its believed, according to this, that the reason he was given this nickname was because of the calling card he was know to leave at the scene of his crimes--in his earlier days that is--after he took power within the Russian Mafia, he began using that 'symbol' to mark his followers. So that anyone who saw them would know who they worked for."

"I see." Tony replied.

"Damn." McGee said suddenly, looking up from his PDA again.

"What was that 'Damn' for?" Callen asked.

"It appears that the files for all three of Alexandrov's daughters, are flagged as 'CLASSIFIED' by the FBI." McGee told them. "We try to pull'em, the FBI--and possibly the CIA--"

"Will try to take this one away from us," Callen finished for him. "May even try to shut us down."

"No," Kensi protested. "Not gonna happen while Eric is still out there missing somewhere." she insisted. "We lost Dom--we're not gonna lose Eric too."

"Guess you were right Tim," Deeks pointed out. "Damn."

"Callen," Tony said, speaking up. "It occurs to me that with the threat of possible FBI and CIA interference, we might just need some 'special' help." he pointed out.

"Oh, no doubt." Sam agreed.

"You guys thinking the same thing we are?" Callen asked, arching an eyebrow at the thought.

"That we're gonna need help from someone who can fly under 'their' radar?" Tony replied, with a sneaky grin.

"Sounds like we're all on the same page." Sam remarked.

"Make it happen." Tony told him, looking over at Vance for any sign of protest. "Abby's the only one who knows the number."

"This part of the conversation never took place." Vance said evenly.

"Agreed." Hetty replied, in agreement.

--------To Be Continued In Part Two--------
Chapter End Notes:
Hi guys, just to let everyone know--this is a continuance of the "What Had To Be Done," story.