- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I wrote my original Agent Afloat and got a few responses that said that Vance would never be that 'nice' to Tony. I thought about it and decided to write a 'not so nice' version. Thanks for all the comments.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Agent Afloat aftermath
ANOTHER AGENT AFLOAT
Agent DiNozzo had been off the ship only a few days and already he had been called up to the Director’s office. What the hell does Vance what? Tony wondered as he obeyed the order and trudged up the stairs. He spoke briefly to Vance’s secretary before he was allowed into Vance’s office.

Vance gestured to one of the seats in front of his desk and Tony sat down.

“I guess you know you’re back here because Agent Gibbs wanted you back here. I would have left you to finish out your time. Then transfer where you were needed.”

“I’m needed here.” Tony stated.

“One man’s interpretation.” Vance retorted.

“So, why am I back then?” Tony said, getting angry.

“Gibbs. He would have raised a huge stink if I had refused.”

“I AM a good agent, Director.” Tony replied, trying to control his anger.

“Again, one man’s interpretation.”

“Gibbs thinks so too. I have gotten many commendations….”

Vance nodded. “Gibbs has a one track mind, Agent DiNozzo.” Vance paused. “And for a many commendations as you have gotten, you are still a pain in the ass.”

Tony stood. “I am back here now to stay. You know it. I know it. Gibbs would raise HELL if I left again. You know, Director Vance, it would be in your best interest to keep the leader of your top team happy.”

“Is that a threat, Agent DiNozzo?” Vance said, this time he stood.

Tony smiled very sweetly. “No, of course not, Director. I just wanted to make you aware of how rough things could get for you if I find myself on a ship again in the near future.”

“I don’t like threats, Agent DiNozzo, especially from people whose careers I hold in the palm of my hand.” Vance said, fighting the urge to slug DiNozzo.

“I know you blame me for Director Shepard’s death, you and half the people in this building, if not more. I have to live with my responsibility and accept my part. But, I am not completely responsible. I didn’t start the chain of events that lead up to this. I didn’t give her an incurable disease.” DiNozzo said, standing his ground. “I was following orders, Director. I. Was. Following. Orders.”

“Just like you were following orders when she used you, you were following orders then too.” Vance retorted. He watched the mask fall for just a second as white hot anger flashed over Tony’s face. The mask slipped effortlessly back into place seconds later.

Tony started to take a step towards Vance, then, realizing that WOULD be taken as a threat stayed in place. He sighed involuntarily. “She….”

“She took advantage of the situation.” Vance said, finishing Tony’s thought. “You losing your father-figure and feeling lost.”

Tony just looked at Vance surprised. He felt like the wind had been knocked out of him and he sat back down. “How did you…?”

“I make it my business to know things, Agent DiNozzo.” Vance stated. “Being in charge demands it. Like I know for all your commendations, you are just as reckless. You and your team are just lucky that your recklessness has not cost one or all of you your lives. I don’t need people like that here DiNozzo.”

“You’re wrong! I have NEVER put ANY member of my team in danger!” Tony retorted. He was on his feet again.

“I’m watching you, DiNozzo! One more screw-up like ‘The Frog’ and nothing, no threats, nothing Agent Gibbs does will get you back. I promise you that!”

Director Vance stood still watching Agent DiNozzo’s reaction and taking great joy in the anger he was seeing in his agent’s face. He was almost hoping DiNozzo would swing at him. He could tell by the look on DiNozzo’s face that he really wanted to. Vance would can him right them and all this would be over and done with. As it was, he had to be content for the moment with the look of rage on the agent’s face as he turned towards the door and let himself out slamming it behind him.

Vance smiled, glad he had gotten under the young agent’s skin.

THE END
Chapter End Notes:
After I wrote my original Agent Afloat I got a few responses that said that Vance would never be that 'nice' to Tony, so, after thinking about it, I decided to write a 'not so nice' version. Thanks for all the comments.