- Text Size +
I was fourteen and Tony was sixteen. He had been with us for four years now. I was in the principal's office with Tony when my dad came in. The principal was about to say something when my dad looked at him, pissed, he gulped and Dad looked over to Tony.

"Want to tell me why you punched some kid?" Tony looked at him and I could tell he was scared because we were both taught that fighting was only for protecting our life. Tony swallowed before haltingly answering.

"He was trying to kiss Kelly, and the guy has a reputation of taking freshman girls and….. Well, God, I'm not going to say this in front of Kelly, Dad." He sent us both outside and stayed to talk to the principal. Tony ended up being suspended for a week. I looked at him and grumbled while we were waiting.

"What's wrong with me kissing some boy? He was cute, Tony." Tony looked at me. I think he was trying to figure out how to tell me what he knew. I had known that the boy was the kind that liked to go out with girls for just as long as it took to take their virginity. I had just wanted a kiss, I wasn't going to have sex with someone I didn't care about!

"You deserve better, Kelly. Damn it, don't let yourself go down to that level, you're a better person than that." I looked to him as Dad came out, he looked at both of us.

"Let's go home." I was sent to my room but I snuck back down to the basement door, which stood open. I think that Dad knew I was going to come listen, he must think I need to hear this.

"Dad, he was going to kiss her, ask her out then he was going to have sex with her. He does that and then dumps the girls. And Kelly is better than that, you know that Dad! I wasn't going to let him do that to Kelly, damn it. I will always protect Kelly from dirt bags like that, Dad!" Tony was screaming, and for him to do that to Dad means he was really upset. For Dad to be letting him, he either agreed with Tony or he was letting him get his frustration out. I sat near the door thinking, I concluded that it was a bit of both because I'm sure if dad was in that situation, he would have done the same.

I heard my Dad speak.

"Tony, don't stop sanding. Come on." This was our second boat, the first one he gave to Grandpa Jackson when grandma had died. He had named it after her and given it to Grandpa. I know they were not married but they had been friends in a way. They talked to us on the phone when dad wouldn't talk to him. Then I heard my Dad speak again.

"Good job, son, but next time, use something beside force. There is something call intimidation and you're good at that, when you want to be. I've seen you on the courts and I have also seen you when you need to say no to someone that just won't take it. We also need to trust Kelly. I know it's hard, believe me, there are times I have wanted to stick up for her, but she does it on her own."

I heard Tony grunt, he was still annoyed. I heard them sanding away down there. I smiled, I loved my family. I had two men that were so protective of me. Truth be told, the first kiss I ever have, I want it to be Tony but I don't know, we live together and both called my dad, "Dad", maybe he wouldn't see me that way? I heard my Dad call up the stairs.

"So, Kelly, you going to come and help with the boat?" I smiled and I headed downstairs and started to help. I looked at Tony and stuck my tongue out at him! He raised a brow at me instead of speaking and he continued to work on his part of the boat.

Seriously, who could ask for more? Tony and I were best friends. I had a Dad who loved me and was protective, but seemed to get it that I was old enough to protect myself and knew when to come to him. Me and Tony were both on the basketball team, well not the same one, I was on the girls and he was on the boys. My dad looked at Tony for a second and with a huff, Tony spoke.

"Sorry, Kelly. I guess I shouldn't have punched him, but I swear if you have sex with anyone, I'm going to kill them." I heard the exasperated sigh from Dad, because Tony had started out okay but then just blew it!

I didn't lose my temper with Tony, I knew better.

"Well then Tony, guess I'll never tell you when that happens!" I started to sand and Tony growled but he refrained from saying what he'd been about to say when Dad slapped him on the back of the head.

"Sorry, Dad. I'll keep sanding." He started to go back to sanding and I had to shake my head. This was the best a girl could ask for. I loved them both so much and would do anything for them.